Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Skinless MySpace

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 104 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

IdetrimentI slam gang member
TRAMPLE THE WEAK-Album Reviews

totally random review for the new album from some Las Vegas newspaper... i like how we sandwiched between Mobb Deep and Cricified Barbara..

Skinless, "Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead" (Relapse): These death metal hair farmers sound as if they sprung directly from some sticky, icky Troma flick, where the body count is bigger than the budget. Unlike many of their peers though, the band often forsakes velocity for an oppressively heavy, down 'n' dirty groove that's as catchy as it is concussive. Check out the band's tar and feathering of Black Sabbath's "Wicked World," which will reduce your subwoofers to tears.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho...g/7425994.html
IdetrimentI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
dude0160

dude0160 slam gang member
heh your a hair farmer..
dude0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Deathskull

Deathskull slam gang member
haha, you're a bad speller
Deathskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

AbortedFetus slam gang member
yeah and what about the trademark noah carpenter magic guitar?
AbortedFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
GothLover4U

GothLover4U slam gang member
The extra guest vocals are organ harvest singer dustin rose
GothLover4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Deathskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothLover4U
The extra guest vocals are organ harvest singer dustin rose

ooooooooo, that explains everything.

But wait......what about the parts where you can hear more than 2 vocal parts?????
Old 06-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Deathskull

http://www.planet-loud.com/v6/record...p?album_id=594

Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead
Skinless
Relapse Records

In Brief - Prepared to have your head caved in..
Let's face it, you're not going to be expecting something akin to Tool when you buy a record called Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead are you? Well, thankfully, unlike the new Tool record, these New Yorkers haven't disappointed by delivering a collection of songs that will literally take your skin off.

From start to finish this blasts with no relenting. Through the likes of 'A Unilateral Disgust' and the title track itself, Skinless do not let up for a second. Slabs of downtuned, unearthly death metal rain down from you the speakers as the New Yorkers show why they have become one of the most respected death metal bands on the scene. For a start their vocalist would give ex-Cannibal gurner Chris Barnes a run for his money as he gurns and spews his lyrics straight from the pit of his stomach. Listening to him does actually leave you feeling unclean. The rest of the band are a powerhouse of metallic brutality the likes of which you'd only expect from the New York death metal scene.

Of course, like all the best albums, if this album was any longer than it actually is, you'd probably be bored shitless by end of it. Thankfully, Skinless cut it off at just the right point as, as it is, Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead pounds you relentlessly to the point of submission but, in some twisted, perverted way, leaves you gagging for more.
[Rating 8]

Reviewer Graham Finney

Release Date : 13 June 2006
Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

gurn?
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Deathskull

Jason is much stronger death gurner than Barnes
Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #10
Deathskull

Here's a real in-depth review:
http://www.moshpitradio.com/moshpit/categories/reviews/
Skinless
Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead
Relapse
36:42 - 8 Tracks
Brutal death metal! I’ve liked Skinless since seeing them at Milwaukee Metalfest a few years ago. The thing I did like about them, was the singer wasn’t just a cookie monster guy that would just stand there and growl, he was more like a hardcore kinda guy. Well, he is not in the band, but the music is still brutal and that’s what’s important. The new vocals sound just fine too. The production is a little raw, but it doesn’t take away from anything. It’s good solid brutal death metal! You’ll hear this on the Mosh Pit!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
Deathskull

Ahhhh, the first hater:

http://www.screamingbloodymess.com/
Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead (Relapse)
Now that I’m no longer a death metal aficionado, albums like these are difficult to review. It’s hard because whilst the genre interests me little, my history with the movement affords me the knowledge at least, whereby I am able to distinguish a good recording from a poor one.

During my metal years Skinless were never an act that interested me. Based in New York the band are now onto their fourth album and I can’t honestly recall what the previous three were like. This one, however, seems a bit shoddy. The aggression and intensity is there, but the cheesiness of the samples, the predictability of some of the riffs and the thin production make for an altogether yawn of a listen.

The drums are unimaginative, the riffs rehashed from a thousand 1990’s albums, the vocals monotoned and the bass barely audible.

I’m not sure what the death metal scene is like anymore, but I hazard a guess there’s better than what’s on offer on here.

By Warren
Artist website: www.4skinless.com

.....and a message board hater:
http://thedeathcafe.proboards24.com/...ead=1148593942

Last edited by Deathskull; 06-06-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showrevie...d=7669&lang=en

honestly thought Skinless were history when singer Sherwood Webber left the band in late 2004. The energetic and charismatic frontman kind of had become the face of the band, since he was involved since the beginning of the band in 1992. Luckily however, soon a replacement was found in Jason Keyser, vocalist of Detriment and brother of Skinless bassist Joe Keyser. Another change in the line up is the return of drummer Bob Beaulac, who replaces John Longstreth who pursued his career with The Red Chord and Chimaira. Beaulac left Skinless in late 2001 in order to marry his wife and live a happy family life, but blood is thicker than wine, so he rejoined the band "to ensure that chemistry and live ferocity remain intact".

'Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead' is the fourth studio album to date and the third one being released on their current label Relapse Records. The band has also returned to the successful sound of the 'Foreshadowing Our Demise' album and have stepped away from the more or less experimental sound from 'From Sacrifice To Survival'. The return of Beaulac will undoubtedly have all to do with that, because the technical, yet nervous drumming of Longstreth has disappeared on the new album. Skinless sounds heavier than ever again. They have moved away from the technical death metal approach and rely more than ever on grooves. Singer Jason Keyser has put an impressive stamp on the songs with his powerful death grunts and he certainly is a dignified replacement for Webber.

The sarcastic and humorous intro samples from the first two records have also returned on 'Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead', since they had disappeared on 'From Sacrifice To Survival'. The seven own compositions and Black Sabbath cover 'Wicked World' were recorded once again at the Maxtrax Studio in Albany, NY, a studio that Skinless have used for all of their four albums. The production on 'Trample The Weak…' is different though than on their last album and sounds more powerful, darker and more death metal. Having said this, we can conclude that Skinless has returned to their old formula and I think most fans will be pleased to hear this. Skinless give their fans what they want, groovy swinging death metal that will undoubtedly get a fast moving circlepit going when played live.

Rating: 85/100
Old 06-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #13
Deathskull

http://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/....htm#SKINLESS2
Old 06-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

were so vain

I have always considered Skinless a great, yet very underrated band. Especially “From Sacrifice to Survival” managed to strike a nerve or two, due the almost virtuosic combination of heavy, often sludgy riffs and furious fast-paced parts with an open-minded vision to death-metal. Luckily, the boys are back with their latest effort “Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead”…

The new album marks the baptism of fire for newcomer Jason Keyser, who replaced Sherwood Webber on vocals last year. Drum virtuoso John Longstrength (Angelcorpse, Origin) has also left the building and is replaced by John Beauclerc, the old Skinless drummer. All these changes have had their effect on the new album, because the experimental character of the last album has been replaced by a more standard brutal approach, more in the vein of “Foreshadowing our Demise”. Personally, I slightly lament this change, but with that being said the signature Skinless sound is still intact and the marriage between the slow, groovy parts and the fast grinding parts has never been so effectively fused together as on “Trample the Weak”. By sharpening those two contrasts the band sounds more brutal and heavier than ever before. Majestic compositions like “An Unilateral Disgust”, “Deviation will not Be Tolerated”, “Spoils of the Sycophant” and “Execution of Reason” are amongst the best the band has even written and make me forget my earlier stated lamentation. The new record also has a Black Sabbath cover in the form of “Wicked World”, which has to great effect been mangled in the signature Skinless style. The new vocalist does a convincing job, belting out his growls and screams with the best of them. The album features some movie samples, which are pretty laughable at times and as such enhance the atmosphere on this album. The production is heavy, yet clear, just exactly what this kind of extreme metal needs.

It is a tie for me whether “From Sacrifice to Survival” or “Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead” is the best Skinless effort to date, but I will be damned if this album will not end up in my year list of 2006! Excellent album!

1. Overlord
2. An Unilateral Disgust
3. Deviation will not Be Tolerated
4. Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead
5. Spoils of the Sycophant
6. Endvisioned
7. Execution of Reason
8. Wicked World

8.5 / 10
http://www.metalact.com/recenzii/det..._en.php?id=108
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

Last edited by Deathskull; 06-06-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

My personal review of the new cd.(translated into russian and then portugeuse and back into english....to give it some flavor)

"Without a skin if really is exceeded this time. A new album - hits to the person. It does not do unbroken cold blood and she in June trusts some desire. The will 8 improbable roads the attack across the full end. This CD makes one's will, has on, the full base a both the vocal work like darkness of a contrabajo. Without it, a skin (the skin), that has the authority , assumes to become with. "
Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 PM   #17
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbortedFetus
My personal review of the new cd.(translated into russian and then portugeuse and back into english....to give it some flavor)

"Without a skin if really is exceeded this time. A new album - hits to the person. It does not do unbroken cold blood and she in June trusts some desire. The will 8 improbable roads the attack across the full end. This CD makes one's will, has on, the full base a both the vocal work like darkness of a contrabajo. Without it, a skin (the skin), that has the authority , assumes to become with. "
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #18
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

in my detriment days some eastern european reviewer referred to us as being "Straight over hammer"
Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #19
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

skinress!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #20
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

Skinless-Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead
(Relapse Records, 2006)

Skinless are back with a new vocalist and their best album yet. Full of blistering blasts and the bands patented groove filled devastation, this album is a continuation of what the band has done in the past but simply put, just better. While I’ll still always be impressed with the rhythmic brutality of their debut, this album easily slides into place as their best work to date. I think that Skinless are one of the few death metal bands that can truly write memorable riffs without dumbing them down. There are also a few surprising melodic moments that really add a sense of dynamics to the bands sound. The rhythmic pounding that the band is known for is definitely here in full force. This album has some of the best riffs yet from the band and this is easily the best band to utilize groove since Dying Fetus set the benchmark for the style. The new vocalist is an absolute monster with one of the sickest growls I have ever heard. The vocal style is a bit one dimensional at times, but I really couldn’t see any other approach working for a band like this. The occasional shriek breaks up the almost constant growling, but I wish the shrieking would have been used to greater lengths. This is easily the best album yet from Skinless, and an album that all fans of death metal should consider essential.
http://www.unboundzine.com/nr86.html
Old 06-15-2006, 08:53 PM   #21
Deathskull

http://www.metalrage.com/reviews/923

Skinless - Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead
Review By : Ce-El-Wan
Added : 12/06/'06
Views : 45
Score 87 %

Printable Version
Label : Relapse
Genre : Metal
Tracks : 8
Playtime : 36:44
Release : 13-06-2006

Having Anata's technical mastery and playful exectution on one hand, (see my review) Skinless' latest effort is a completely different effort. Skinless blast, plow, bellow and grind with no eye for any subtlety at all. Mind you, this is not a bad thing at all. This monster is called 'Trample the weak, hurdle the dead' and it sounds like a war machine which has just been well oiled, has been picking up a lot of steam. And is finally going in for the kill..

Just over 36 minutes long, Skinless grind and groove their way through a collection of 8 hymns of war, death and destruction with no respect for anything at all. Blunt, savage and raw are key words describing this onslaught and I can imagine people not leaving unharmed when seeing these guys live.

This band is also 'tight and technical' but it is not used for showing off, just to tighten their brutal conquest and forging it into a massive sonic mayhem. And they have a sense of humour too, just listen to the last track.

I think I used enough metophorical descriptions by now but as a reminder: brutal, onslaught, mayhem, destruction, war, death, grinding, war, plowing, battlefield, war, war, war, Skinless, trample and hurdle.

Enjoy.

Line Up:
Joe
Jason
Bob
Noah
Old 06-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #22
Deathskull

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/revie.../skinless.aspx

The Olympics called. They don't need a death metal biathalon
We get the picture, cliché intact: beauty isn’t skin deep. For New York death meddlers Skinless, it’s downright ugly just below the surface. Unfortunately, judging from this, their fourth full-length, creative ambition isn’t skin deep either. In fact, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead sounds a lot like their previous albums, as well as any standard issue death metal album released since 1994. And while they’re clearly masters of their craft, the missing ingredient is character.

Skinless’ most obvious comparison band would be their upstate neighbors Mortician (who, incidentally, seep character with their “morbid florist” reputation). Both bands liberally use horror samples to introduce their songs, both stick to chunky, inside-the-box blast beats and riffery, and both pick astonishingly unsurprising cover songs—Mortician tackling Celtic Frost and Pungent Stench at various points in their career, while Skinless very awkwardly and stiffly interpret Black Sabbath’s “Wicked World” this time. But within death metal’s already xenophobic confines, all is well and they know it. Suffocation, another New York-regional death metal band, have modernized their sound—fans be damned—and whether you like it or not, continue to test genre parameters. Here, Skinless stick right in the middle.

To their credit, this is probably Skinless’ best sounding album. Although the blast beats still rattle like a ’78 Datsun in the heat, the guitars sound incredibly full and new vocalist (as well as the bassist’s brother) Jason Keyser belches furies as though they’re straight from the belly. Exceptions might not run high for Skinless, but even Sabbath challenged themselves to top Master of Reality. —Kory Grow
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #23
Deathskull

http://pages.slugmag.com/ncdr/index....=article&sid=9
Skinless = forerunners of modern grind
In the grind metal battle for heavier and faster, only a select few can topple the heap. Skinless continue to do so. Though much has changed since their inception, especially in the line-up, the basis behind the band remains the same. They have fine-tuned their sound and continue to get better and better. Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead sees the waters muddy up a bit. Things are slowed down but pulverizing as usual. Instead of comedic-gore elements incorporated into the lyrics and samples, Skinless have moved onto war, including a sample from the classic film Patton. Samples are key elements in grind. Leads are brought out a bit more into their sound, the vocals are still guttural as hell. It’s hard to judge the new record as being the band’s best. The true test for the material is to be heard and seen in the live setting, something the group excels at (see the bands DVD release Skinflick for proof). Nevertheless, this ***** is at the top of the heap for 2006. – Bryer Wharton
Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #24
Deathskull

http://www.rebelx.org/cdreviews/cdreviews_skinless.html
Even those who embraced 2003's musical essay in brutality that was From Sacrifice To Survival likely won't expect the total fucking annihilation wrought within "Overlord". High-pitched, blackened vocal scree more usually found on platters from Norway joins gutteral rumble, adding fire to the deathcharge of Skinless 2006. A foreboding sense of melody lurks within as well, but seems to be fighting a losing battle against such flammable material as the condemnation of war found in "A Unilateral Disgust", so downtuned and lurching are the guitars and bass of Carpenter and Keyser (respectfully). I'd like to send a personal letter of thanks to whoever kept a lit flame to the rectal cavity of new vocalist Jason Keyser during these recording sessions. His vocals are positively otherwordly here, his delivery on "Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated" yanked from some nether-realm of death metal previously only inhabited by the likes of Gorguts and Cryptopsy. The Maiden-esque chordings near the end of "Deviation..." quickly crumble into dust, recalling the occasional doomward spiral of latter-day Immolation. I've long said that an album is only as good as it's title track and, in this case, "Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead" slams belligerent rhythms against furiously executed riffwork, then tosses the whole burning mess into the fracas, laughing while the mushroom cloud looms in the distance. There's just not one bad song on Trample..., not one bullet that misses it's intended target. "Endvisioned" stomps forward, never once blasting, yet just as deadly for the juggernaut forces powering the apocalyptic attack, belying the melody sneaking around your flank for an unexpected invasion. The ending cover of Black Sabbath's "Wicked World" detonates, scattering timely lyrics and Wardian drum fills (courtesy new skinbanger Bob Beaulac) like so much shrapnel amid the devastation. I thought the "N.I.B" bassline during the coda was especially nice.

If From Sacrifice To Survival was a sniper's bullet aimed at your cornea, Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead is a nuclear warhead dropped onto your cranium. Obliterating.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #25
Deathskull

I don't think this guy checked the line-up too well

http://www.subba-cultcha.com/article.php?id=2153

Skinless
Trample The Weak Hurdle The Dead

Relapse Records

Stateside’s sonically charged quartet return once again to unleash their brand of metal mayhem onto the unsuspecting masses.

Relentless from the start, Skinless have left an indelible mark on the extreme metal scene with their twisted, pile driving debut, Progression Towards Evil back in 1998. Bringing on a legion of fans the world over to their hi octane, high speed salvos not seen since the likes of Deicide and Cannibal Corpse, whose influences can be felt teeming through the Skinless veins.

3 albums and countless of punishing tours on, Skinless have once again come storming back with a brand new full length effort, Trample The Weak Hurdle The Dead on Relapse Records. Pairing together the song writing talents of Noah Carpenter on guitars and Sherwood Webber on vocals, this scathing, gut twisting attack has also brought on Bob Beaulac on drumming duties and Joe Keyser on bass to form a truly formidable arsenal.

Arguably one of the hardest hitting acts around, Skinless have on Trample The Weak Hurdle The Dead, turned inside out the standard death metal formula, rallying fans with eight forward charging tracks of pure unadulterated chaos and ravaging riffs, laying claim to death metal’s reign by any means necessary. Watch out.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #26
Deathskull

http://www.asice.net/reviews/1978/shows.php?month=6

While listening to the forth album of Skinless a question for a metal quiz immediately pops up in my mind. The question is whether these New Yorkers add more influences from current metalcore bands into their sound or that the similarities are based on the fact that the current metalcore acts shift towards the Death Metal side.

‘Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead’ is a big piece of brutal Death Metal that either pounds at you as heavy as lead, has a lot of groove or runs after a prey fast as lightning. Listen to “Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated” or “Execution Of Reason” and the proof is there that Skinless knows how to handle the three above mentioned aspects very good, and they convince directly by putting every trendy metalcore outfit that want to play Death Metal off-side. Are you still not convinced? Than listen to the concrete production that accompanies the shining disc.

The answer on the question above couldn’t be a difficult one anymore for you now. Skinless shows you how to make Death Metal without falling through, which the contemporary metalcore factories from Europe and the United States mostly don't know how to do. After seven songs this brutal attack comes to an end and it's time to grab the water bottle during the headstrong version of Black Sabbath’s “Wicked World”. The typical Black Sabbath sound is pasted between rolling bass drums and gargling grunts. If Black Sabbath never existed, I'd swear that song could have been just a musical excercition from these Death Metal guys themselves.

Rating:

Views: 431
Old 06-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #27
Deathskull

http://www.globaldomination.se/revie...urdle-the-dead

Skinless kicks ass. Plain and simple. “Trample the weak, hurdle the dead” is some serious brutal-groove played in standard death-metal style. While lacking in over-all technicality, “Trample…” more than makes up for it in pounding heaviness and sheer energy.

New vocalist Jason Keyser, also the brother of bassist Joe Keyser, is a wonderful replacement for ex-growler Sherwood Webber, and he fits Skinless like the proverbial glove. He goes from low growls to mid-range and high screams in a very boisterous and unyeilding manner that gels with the all-around ferocity of the material.

The riffs have never been super-technical with Skinless but still manage to be pretty fucken vicious in their delivery and simplicity… not that I could play any of it, but that’s a whole different matter. A few of the songs are sorta bland while the rest are pretty killer, especially tracks like “Spoils of the Sycophant” and “Execution of Reason” for example. The drums are pounding, relentless, and skillfully played while the bass adds that extra dose of “heavy” to the riffs. Good shit, not the greatest out there, but definitley recognizable as Skinless and awesome for what it is.

They aren’t breaking any new ground here, but is that really necessary? They do what they do, and they do it damn well.

8/10.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #28
Deathskull

From Unretsrained Mag

SKINLESS
Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead (Relapse)
Skinless are going to use our body parts to wipe up all the blood on the mosh pit floors this year. Easily THE best death metal album of 2006. You’ve been warned! <A. Bromley> -9.5-

Some message boarders:
http://www.bravewords.com/braveboard...0fcfc1756223a3
Old 06-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #29
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

fuck the rest of the 6 months left in the year....best of '06 says car and driver magazine
Old 06-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #30
Deathskull

Here's a dude that feels it's necessary to write a bad review because he's seen nothing but good ones.
http://www.metalstorm.ee/pub/review.php?review_id=2943

I hate bands with that old "Look at me, I am gore because I have blood on my logo" vibe going on; for me those bands are just wannabes trying to reach something already achieved by someone else you know? Skinless is one of those bands, I was really curious about their new album though, as some reviews had words like "Groundbreaking" and "better and more brutal than ever". Now, this is just what I think of this album.

Well, it is not groundbreaking at all; in fact this album is just a piece of the same pie, you'll get a bunch of dudes trying to be cooler than Mortician and more brutal than Torsofuck by adding audio clips and down-tuned bass-lines. Yes their music is quite catchy, but their songwriting totally sucks; why the fuck do we need groove and catchiness when the whole structure sounds more disorganized than a pile of dinosaur crap (see Jurassic Park man!), the band doesn't sound tight, on the contrary, they sound unassembled and really rigid with their instruments and that's a big turn-off.

So this band is not original by any means, their songwriting skills are 0.1% accurate and their whole concept is cheesy as a Dr. Seuss book. Hey they still can be brutal you know? That's the only thing I give to this album, the amount of brutal riffs are enough for any Beheaded fan to be happy, they deliver brutality all over the place indeed, the drumming is diarrhea-fast and the vocals are average, yet brutal, grunts. So this is were the album gets some points, if you are looking for unstructured brutality filled with gaps and a bad execution…look no further as Skinless did this album just for you.

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, I can picture some Skinless aficionado crying while reading this review, but sorry my friend, this is just another average band releasing an average album with insanely average music. I can recommend you too go for good brutal bands like Devourment, Dripping or Prostitute Disfigurement, at least those names are not boring as the old "let's see how many red cars pass along the highway" game.

Seriously, this band is presenting low-quality brutal death metal, don't buy this album and spend your money in better things…like hookers for example

Best Tracks: "Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated"