Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Skinless
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Skinless MySpace

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 104 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #31
Deathskull

Deathskull slam gang member
http://www.moshpitradio.com/moshpit/categories/reviews/
Brutal death metal! I’ve liked Skinless since seeing them at Milwaukee Metalfest a few years ago. The thing I did like about them, was the singer wasn’t just a cookie monster guy that would just stand there and growl, he was more like a hardcore kinda guy. Well, he is not in the band, but the music is still brutal and that’s what’s important. The new vocals sound just fine too. The production is a little raw, but it doesn’t take away from anything. It’s good solid brutal death metal! You’ll hear this on the Mosh Pit!
Deathskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #32
Deathskull

From amazon.......

Skinless at the top of their game, June 18, 2006
Reviewer: Christopher Rowella "8 Weeks Dead" (Ridgefield, CT USA) - See all my reviews

Most bands that lose a singer tend to slowly decline with each new effort. Not so with Skinless. Sherwood Anderson may be gone, but you'd never know it listening to this album. TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD keeps the higher production value and tightened songwriting of FROM SACRIFICE TO SURVIVAL and combines it with the classic sound bites and crushing brutality of the first 2 albums. Highly recommended for fans of straight-up death metal.

God, this is good stuff, June 17, 2006
Reviewer: A. Stutheit "andreaabs" (Littleton, CO USA) - See all my reviews

It shouldn't take you more than ten seconds of listening to the first song ("Overlord") on Skinless' fourth disc ("Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead") for you to realize two things: a) this is some seriously heavy stuff; and b) this band isn't just another death-grind imitator, this is the real deal. From beginning to end, this album is a monstrous, relentless attack on the listener's eardrums. Subject matter such as dismemberment and war are complimented well by grizzly vocals, weird movie samples (i.e. "War--it's fantastic!"), and almost deafening rhythms composed of savage riffs and furiously beating drums. The aforementioned "Overlord" is a bludgeoning affair which is backed by ferocious, blinding guitar riffs and fast, pummeling drums. The onslaught continues for tracks two and three: "A Unilateral Disgust" ties booming guitar noise with machine gun drumming; and "Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated" boasts a slower, pounding, churning, but equally as brutal rhythm and is capped off by a shriek that makes you think the singer is being skinned alive. Skinless' cover of Black Sabbath's "Wicked World" (which closes out the album) is one of the most interesting and individually memorable songs, but the thunderous, Deicide-esque title track, which is driven by more amp-destroying guitar shredding and a walloping double bass, might very well be the record's best song. If you want some great, no-frills death-grind metal, or if you want the far-and-away most brutal album of 2006 so far, you'll definitely need to pick this disc up. And if, for some reason, you've stopped liking death metal or grindcore, one listen of "Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead" will remind you why you once liked it.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #33
grizloch
GOING TO KILL YOUR FAMILY

grizloch slam gang member
anderson?
grizloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #34
Deathskull

yeah, and I've seen several weird last names for Bob too
Old 06-21-2006, 04:00 PM   #35
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

AbortedFetus slam gang member
bob bolack
AbortedFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #36
Deathskull

I just saw one with Bob Dulac, but the best so far is John Beauclerc.

Last edited by Deathskull; 06-21-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #37
Deathskull

http://www.chordmagazine.com/issue/j...06/review.shtm

SKINLESS
Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead [Relapse]
[Fans of death metal, death metal, and death metal take note.]

Contrary to popular belief, death metal is not supposed to be scary, at least not really. The bands that take themselves or the genre too seriously become pretentious self-parody, since the best death metal records are like the best horror movies: really gory, bloody, and sure, sometimes a little frightening but always a gas. And never once do you forget that you're seated in a comfy chair with a big-ass bag of popcorn between your legs. Skinless, a veteran group with several releases under its belt, realizes this, and that recognition is what makes Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead so much fun. The samples between songs from horror films or even Planet of the Apes put a smile on your face like the comic relief in a classic B-movie before the bludgeoning begins. The album doesn't let up for a second. The riffs are huge throughout; thick, chunky slabs that come roaring out of both speakers. Skinless varies the tempos from the speedy ("Overlord") to damn close to doom metal (the bulk of "Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated"), though the group is best when settling into a mosh-friendly mid-level grind. And all of it is best played so your neighbor can appreciate it - your neighboring cities, too.
-Brian O'Neill
Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #38
Deathskull

....and for fun, i'll be adding some samples of awkward direct translations, this one is German to English.

"A heavy time of the neck pain is approaching for fans of death steel New Yorker coinage"

"Songs as "at Unliteral Disgust" and "Execution OF Reason" are such fat Banger that one can hardly hold oneself on the chair"

Dutch to English:

"It must bang to everyone horizontal lies and a peppery tempo is then more than welcome. And Skinless are possible it easily have there music under the greyness of the accelerator do not suffer. On the contrary. The new plate turned out to be itself as a heuse fire ball which is only interrupted by what "sfeermakende" sampletjes."

"under the warm dekens throb. On a plate such as Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead you do not have moan simply."

Last edited by Deathskull; 06-22-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #39
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

IdetrimentI slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathskull
....and for fun, i'll be adding some samples of awkward direct translations, this one is German to English.

"A heavy time of the neck pain is approaching for fans of death steel New Yorker coinage"

"Songs as "at Unliteral Disgust" and "Execution OF Reason" are such fat Banger that one can hardly hold oneself on the chair"

Dutch to English:

"It must bang to everyone horizontal lies and a peppery tempo is then more than welcome. And Skinless are possible it easily have there music under the greyness of the accelerator do not suffer. On the contrary. The new plate turned out to be itself as a heuse fire ball which is only interrupted by what "sfeermakende" sampletjes."

"under the warm dekens throb. On a plate such as Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead you do not have moan simply."

"in soviet russia, car drives you!!"
IdetrimentI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #40
AbortedFetus
one fist two fist

AbortedFetus slam gang member
skinless are definately very sfeermakende :dj:
AbortedFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #41
Deathskull

http://heavymetal.about.com/od/cdrev...r/skinless.htm

The New York death metal band Skinless has a new vocalist, but don't lose a step. In fact, they sound better than ever. Their latest album is a powerhouse of crushing riffs and devastating drums. It's a federal law that reviewers must use the world "brutal" when describing any death metal album, but in this case the term is absolutely deserved. They also manage to be very technical and precise, which is a monstrous combination.
New vocalist Jason Keyser sounds like he's bellowing straight from the bowels of hell. It's impossible to understand his vocals, but he sounds pissed. The album ends with a cover version of Black Sabbath's "Wicked World" that's an interesting combination of stoner riffs and cookie monster vocals.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #42
Deathskull

another guy who forgot to check the band line-up
http://www.daredevilrecords.de/reviews/index.html#022

SKINLESS a sure one of the New York Death Metal bands, not to be left aside SUFFOCATION of course. On their now fourth longplayer they take all that made them famous and combine it into an explosive meltdown of power. Compared to the last FROM SACRIFICE TO SURVIAL which consited of some minor cleaner vocals they took a big step towards brutality, this time it's all out war pure intensive Death Metal.

OVERLORD is the perfect opening, ultra brutal, machine gun like drumming, staccato guitars, insane growls, Grind and riffs from hell are put into this monster song. Like we are used to them groove also comes not to short, AN UNILATERAL DISGUST underfeeds fat groovy moments with CANNIBAL CORPSE like swarming guitars, the title track mixes groove with blasting drums and ENDIVISONED or EXECUTION OF REASON also deliver brutal to the max stamping beats. The vocals are deep, gutural, brutal and sick, Sherwood Webber puts in enough screams to make the whole thing more diverse.

With WICKED WORLD (BLACK SABBATH) stands also a cover track on the album, the originality is kept but the track has undergone the SKINLESS treat.

The produciton value does it's last to an brutal entertaining 34 minutes.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:09 PM   #43
Deathskull

http://www.semtexinc.com/reviews/mid...6c9dd831445519

Fucking shit. Skinless is back again! My first connection with these death metal mastodonts was with their 2003 album 'From Sacrifice To Survival' brutal as fuck with John Longstreth from Origin on drums they already threw out a massive death metal album that had brutal attempts amongst the lines such as Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation. Fericious brutal death metal.

Skinless delivers eight long tracks of a more metal orientated way of death metal , starting things with the brutal "overlord" bursting out in a brutal grinding wall of death metal. Straightly on pushing your head into a dark brutal world with rotten war imaginary and samples. While songs such as the Slayerish "spoils of the sycophant", "a unilateral disgust" and the crazy "execution of reason" gasped my throat. I just thought the only weak song on here was "wicked world" which feels like a little experimental outstep by Skinless. As the track musically has more of a rock and roll feel while still maintaining the brutal vocals. Not really what I want to hear from them. But consider the other 7 songs on this disc brutal and fericious, thank God.

While we've previously been going through a few grindcore records coming from Relapse Records, it feels good to get some fucking death metal disc in my hands again. Good stuff by Skinless, you won't be let down if you were into their previous recordings. Brutal and darkened. Nothing more to add.
[Ray Kluze]
Old 06-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #44
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathskull
[url]
I just thought the only weak song on here was "wicked world" which feels like a little experimental outstep by Skinless. As the track musically has more of a rock and roll feel while still maintaining the brutal vocals. Not really what I want to hear from them. But consider the other 7 songs on this disc brutal and fericious, thank God.
[Ray Kluze]
people under 20 should not write reviews
Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #45
SARDoniscorn

SARDoniscorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I'm seeing mostly good reviews, Decibel can fuck off. Revolver should have it at least 4 stars, probably 5. Best release I'm hearing this year.
SARDoniscorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #46
Deathskull

Once again, nobody can spell Bob's last name:
http://themoviebar.net/blog/2006/06/...rdle-the-dead/

Skinless’ most recent release was something I was unsure of what to expect from. While I don’t dislike the band, I would only consider myself a casual fan of their work, however I would have to say that this release is the type of death metal album that commands respect, the type of album that demands your attention. As soon as the first note following the sound byte in Overlord kick in, the album grabs you by the throat and refuses to let go. Once it haves you in its grasp, it barely allows you any air for the next 36 plus minutes. At times, during tracks such as Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated, it may seem that they are letting up but it’s just the calm before the storm.

One thing that makes this album a plus in the listening department, is the fact that drummer Bob Beulac doesn’t rely solely on blast beats. So many modern death metal drummers rely almost soley on blasting, and the end result is that every song starts to lack it’s own identity. Skinless manage to avoid that. Not that their isn’t a fair amount of blasting, they just happen to know when to change things up.

The album’s closing track, a cover of Black Sabbath’s “Wicked World” shines really well and starts off pretty true to Sabbath form enough that for a moment you forget you are listening to a Skinless album, up until Jason’s vocals kick in.

In short, by the time Skinless releases it’s chokehold if you were strong enough to make it to the end you’ll be left fully satisfied. However, for those less fortunate, Skinless will trample the weak and hurdle the dead.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #47
Deathskull

http://digitalmetal.com/reviews.asp?cid=7477

I’ll get right to it kids. Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead is a fucking MONSTROUS record.

Eschewing the clean, overly technical (but still good) tones of From Sacrifice to Survival, Skinless, now minus drummer John Longstreth and energetic leprechaun Sherwood Webber, have stripped down their sound back to basics. Now no longer driven by the need to show off Longstreth’s superior skills, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead is a throwback display of lumbering, massive, earthy brutality that caters to the lowest common death metal denominator; heaviness.

New/old drummer Bob Beaulac and new growler Jason Keyser (brother of bassist Joe) fill their new roles perfectly and don’t seem out to outdo From Sacrifice to Survival, but rather turn it inside out and let it ooze everywhere. Now, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead isn’t a full on return to Foreshadowing Our Demise as the more serious lyrical themes and tightness are prevalent, but the sludgier guitar tone, samples and presence of more loping, mid paced menace does give Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead more than a lasting nod to that album.

The 7 cavernous songs plus a cover of Black Sabbath’s “Wicked World”, are all top notch, earth moving, shit bellowing examples of death metal without technical overload and not quite as simplistic as Jungle Rot or Bolt Thrower, but somewhere in between. From the spine tingling sample that opens the huge “Overlord”, the absolutely crushing “Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated” , the battlefield carnage of the title track, the more From Sacrifice.... urgency of “Spoils of the Sycophant”, the precise battery of “Endvisioned”, and perfect closer “Execution of Reason” the album just destroy everything under it’s tracks. My only gripe, is that minus the cover tracks there’s only about 28 minutes of material here, which isn’t nearly enough for me, but I’m greedy.

There is no doubt in my mind that Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead will be one of the top death metal albums of 2006 and though bands like Anata, Decapitated, Spawn of Possession and Psycroptic are liable to shred your face off, Skinless, will pummel you into a mushy, gelatinous pulp and play with it.

By Erik Thomas

[Skinless]

Posted 06/30/06
Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #48
Deathskull

http://www.beattheblizzard.com/

"Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead" is the fourth album from American death metallers Skinless. Other "celebrity" US death metallers have overshadowed this band in years, but I'm sure that SKINLESS also have fans following them in thick and thin. That said, I can't say I know any SKINLESS fans… And I don't think the fan base will increase as a result of the new album.
Long time member and vocalist Sherwood Webber left the band in 2004. The replacement, Jason Keyser, doesn't change things much. He's does what's expected of him, both as a traditional death growler and in the more shrieky grind core vocal territory.
New drummer is Bob Beaulac, who left SKINLESS in 2001 is back.
Neither Keyser nor Beaulac makes any noticeable difference between "Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead" and the other SKINLESS albums to me.

The songs are well placed within the well-known and stagnant death metal frame and there's nothing new under the sun. Nothing new, nothing awesome, nothing that's close to be groundbreaking. The situation is status quo; brutally heavy and predictable.
Except for one tung, the closing track which is a cover version of the ancient Black Sabbath song "Wicked World".
In this song SKINLESS sound different, noticeable different, I'd say. They have obviously approached this song respectfully, but have also managed to add something of their own in it. What's good is that SKINLESS shows willingness and capacity to develop their expression and the musical expression in this song moves towards a deah metal stoner flavour which sounds very good.

So, my question is; why the heck didn't SKINLESS try something of the same in their own songs!?
That would probably have made a significant difference for me. Except for the positive signs in this cover song the rest of the album doesn't make me jump with joy, to put it mildly…

Rating: 4/10
Old 07-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #49
Deathskull

I remember reading that Sherwood Webber, Skinless' vocalist, was leaving the band and figured it would be the last nail in their coffin. After the disappointing From Sacrifice to Survival, admittedly I really wasn't holding the band in the highest of regards to begin with. Then I heard that drummer Bob Beaulac was returning and Jason Keyser would be replacing Sherwood. There could still be some potential, and on that note, I picked up Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead with an optimistic vibe.

If it wasn't noticable from the humorous title, Skinless is back to what they do best: groove-intensive brutal death metal with an emphasis on thick, make-your-head-bang riffs. After last disc's attempt to up the technical ante, it's great to hear some more "natural" Skinless material. This is music meant for the live setting, of which Skinless is truly at home and some of the grooves on Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead will surely get a huge circle pit going, especially the title-track. The only weak spot on the disc is the closing "Wicked World" Black Sabbath cover that the band never really makes their own; even the guitar tone is different. Maxtrax was once again used to record, but the production feels heavier and darker than the previous Skinless offerings. Of course, we talking death metal, so it's quite beneficial. Those fearing the loss of Sherwood will find that Jason is a more than adequate replacement, as he growls and screams his way through the disc with the best of them. Finally, the "samples" that were so prevalent on the first 2 discs make their return. Nothing particularly gut-bustingly funny but it's a step back in the right direction.

Certainly, if you didn't care for Skinless' brand of death metal before, this one isn't going to change your mind one bit. But, if you were disappointed with From Sacrifice to Survival like I was, you'll be quite pleased with Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead. It may not top Progression Towards Evil, but it's a solid, relentless piece of death metal that's sure to give you your fix.

Standout Tracks: Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead, Overlord, Execution of Reason

07/02/2006 Wayfaerer
Old 07-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #50
Deathskull

http://www.antenna.nu/skinless/trampletheweak.php
I'm not familiar with all Skinless' material, but I liked the last album From Sacrifice to Survival not to mention their Skinflick DVD, so I was waiting for the next Skinless release for quite a while, and with the changes in the line-up that had taken place my interest was even greater. Would the New Yorkers put out another strong release? Would it live up to the expectations? The answer is not an unconditioned yes, but Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead is no bad release. However, it feels like something is missing.

The music is still ultra heavy and groovy death metal. The songs are varied, but still miss that little something extra that makes them stand out, like "A Unilateral Disgust", "Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated" and "Execution of Reason" do. This gets an increasing problem, the more I listen to Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead, because I feel like jumping back and forth between the three aforementioned songs, instead of just letting it play. The production is fat and heavy almost bordering to the muddy, and Skinless barely get away with it. Sure it gives the music a powerful feel, but it probably also carries some of the blame why half of the songs remain anonymous.

The band finishes it all off with their rendition of the Black Sabbath track "Wicked World", an alright song, but nothing particular interesting. Fans of the band will most likely not be disappointed with Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead, and new fans can also easily jump the wagon here, but it's not the immense powerhouse that it could have been.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #51
Deathskull

http://www.exclaim.ca/index.asp?layid=13&csid=780
Three years have passed since 2003’s unexpected From Sacrifice To Survival effort, which polarised the Skinless fan base almost as much as it expanded it. Now, with original drummer Bob Beaulac back behind the kit after a brief flirtation with multi-armed powerhouse John Longstreth, and vocalist Jason Keyser replacing long-time songwriter and front-man Sherwood Webber, the stakes are high. Largely a regression from the more experimental, dynamic material offered on FSTS, while retaining some of the more technical flourishes of that effort, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead suffers from an extremely heavy, yet somewhat overproduced tone that muddies the drums considerably — no doubt an attempt to mask Beaulac’s inability to match Longstreth’s abilities. Additionally, especially in contrast to the last record (which contained clean vocals, acoustic sections and ambient interludes), the entire affair seems strictly by the numbers. Everything is performed adequately, if not exceptionally, but the songs seem a bit flaccid compared to what Skinless are normally capable of. Jason Keyser shows admirable dedication to besting Sherwood’s distinctive contributions to prior recordings, and arguably displays more range than his predecessor, but simply lacks character, especially when supported by only half-decent material. Not a terrible record by any means, but certainly not one to fuss over. Fans should prepare themselves for a disappointment.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #52
Deathskull

http://www.themetalforge.com/modules...content&id=858
Brutal is as brutal does.

For those that were concerned about Skinless’ future when now former vocalist Sherwood Webber departed, by the time you have finished listening to their latest opus, the crushingly titled Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead, you’ll be uttering the words ‘Sherwood who?’. New vocalist Jason Keyser (ex-Detriment) joins his bassist brother Joe and guitarist Noah Carpenter, whilst original drummer Bob Beaulac returns to the fold for the fourth long player from these New York death metal extremists, titled Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead.

After a relatively brief dialogue sample taken from 1972’s Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes, the flood gates are immediately open and they unleash wave after wave of guttural vocals, brutalising guitar riffs and thundering drums and rhythms in the form of Overlord and the equally punishing A Unilateral Disgust. The assault continues with the overtly heavy and quality example of “speed doesn’t dictate heaviness” in Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated; a standout track on an album with no filler.

The quote from the 1970 film Patton that introduces the title track couldn’t be more fitting. The intense aural assault that defines Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead certainly lives up to its unforgiving title. The lethal Spoils Of The Sycophant delivers a barrage of blasting beats, where as Endvisioned and Execution Of Reason mix it up through changing tempos that accentuate song dynamics to perfection. Rounding things out is a cover of Black Sabbath’s Wicked World (from their 1970 self-titled album) and as unique and extreme as this cover is, it still manages to sound distinctly Sabbath thanks to Iommi’ riffs.

Skinless 2006 is a well oiled machine. Doubters will be silenced and fans will be satisfied. If you are after technical death metal, then Anata and Psycroptic and the like are where you should be. If no nonsense, straight up death metal that takes no prisoners is what you are after, then Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead should be a part of your collection without delay.

(Relapse Records/Riot! Distribution)
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #53
Deathskull

This dude needs a spellcheck

http://www.poisonfree.com/index.php?id=310&tx_ttnews[pointer]=2&cHash=58b5aa4b74
The title perfectly summarizes what Skinless' new album "Trample the weak, hurdle the dead" is about: and it is not 'bout taking prisoners. "Overlord" opens fire with a blasting inferno of bonecrushing death-metal which definitely kills anything in reach, before delivering some of insanely brutal mosh and groove. The mixture between speed and massive brutality is allmost perfectly ballanced on the whole album. The riffing is anything but generic, with the massive "Deviation will not be tolerated" sporting the king of riffs on this album. The drumming is allways on point and the rythm section kicks the tightest grooves.
Short samples between the songs help to visualize the war-driven and life-deying atmosphere of the album.
The production adds another billion pounds of brutality, creating a heavyweight metal-monster. Extremely powerfull and clear, with massive guitars, pouding drums, thundering bass and brutal but understandable vocals. Great mix.
Unfortunately I did not find any information which band originally played the closing "Wicked world" since it's rocking grooves yelled "cover-version" at me. It should be Black Sabbath.
Anyway: Listen to "Trample the ..." and you know why the genre is calles "DEATH"-metal. Great!!!

Last edited by Deathskull; 07-11-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #54
Deathskull

http://www.live4metal.com/reviews-440.htm
Prepare to be thoroughly demolished! The somewhat dumb album artwork, clean production, and the technicality from 2003’s “From Sacrifice To Survival” have been excised from the new album “Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead” from New York’s Skinless. Instead, what’s been emphasized and totally ramped up is a powerful slab of sludge-laden, New York-style death metal that should propel Skinless into the top tier.
“From Sacrifice To Survival” featured technical drummer extraordinaire John Longstreth (notably of Origin and Angelcorpse fame) and famed producer Neil Kernon, neither of which really seemed to be quite right for a band not known for technicality and glittering
production values. As a result, I felt that “From Sacrifice To Survival” was an album that couldn’t find an identity and, ultimately, didn’t stay in my stereo for very long. Frankly, there are a lot of other bands out there that are better at the technical aspects of death metal.
Perhaps Skinless came to the same conclusion. Gone is Longstreth, and behind the kit is Bob Beaulac, whose pummeling, beat the absolute shit out of the drumheads style seems to be a better fit. In addition, the production, courtesy of Brett Portzer, is deliberately rougher, with very powerful, sludge-laden guitars alternating between slow and mid-paced, meat filled riffs, and bursts of speed to accompany the blasts from Beaulac. The combination of the drumming and powerful guitars really allows this album to shine. In addition, Jason Keyser, brother of bassist Joe Keyser, has replaced long-time vocalist Sherwood Webber. Keyser’s vocals incorporate a couple of different styles, combining a deep growl, a gore metal-esque gurgle, and a higher pitched screech similar to Mitch Harris’ backing vocals in Napalm Death. The combination of these styles fit the music perfectly and seamlessly.
“Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead” is relatively short and plows through seven tracks of perfectly executed, sludge-laden death metal. Simply put, this is New York death metal done right. In addition, there’s a masterful cover of a slightly out of sequence “Wicked World” medley that actually provides a fresh finale to the album and is not forced or out of place.
Along with Misery Index’s latest, Relapse Records has delivered an excellent one-two punch, and spews forth yet another essential album. www.4skinless.com | www.relapse.com
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #55
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

It's been a very long time since a death metal cd has impressed me. probably way back to the Carcass days. Not to say this or any recent death metal cd rivals classic Carcass, because it doesn't, it just doesn't follow the path of mediocrity too many bands seem to take these days. Between that time I've come across bands and cds that are good for 3 or 4 songs before the formula death metal has insisted on keeping for the last 15 or so years forces me to eject the cd and hope to never have to review another death metal cd for at least a week. Boring cookie monster vocal stylings along with the standard rehashed riffs, backwards drumming and rather uninspired, or plain stupid lyrical content. Oh and by the way, wearing makeup and cheesy zombie contact lenses isn't helping your music either big boy! Skinless was a band that never really did much for me in the past I must admit, even though I considered former frontman Sherwood Webber a great guy and friend (thanks again for the Section 8 cd!).

I got this puppy in the mail and honestly it sat on my desk for quite sometime as I dreaded having to sit through yet another boring selection of gurgling,long winded generic death metal.So I was blown away from the first note of Overlord.

Right from the get go this motherfucker is an assault on the senses. with Noah Carpenter's powerful and unrelenting guitars bulldoze the way for jason Keyser's demonic gutteral vocals that instead of being the weak link of the music actually compliments the music by not being a distraction to the overall power of the music. The drumming doesn't let you down either. Instead of a steady diet of kick drum just for the sake of having kick drums, Bob "BIG GUNS" Beaulac brings the double kicks when it's most effective and the low end doesn't become a mere blast of low end noise. The tracks have the pace of a hardcore cd stopping just long enough to lend a sample and move to the next blistering assault of the senses. I don't know how they do it exactly, but the cd doesn't wear thin. before I knew it I was sitting through the entire cd following every riff all the way to the rather unique cover of Sabbath's Wicked World. While thankfully not trying to sound like 70's Sabbath to the note, Skinless take Sabbath to the dark side of death metal done right with just enough double kick and gurgling death vocals without going over the top.This is a cd worthy of it's title!

http://smashingmag.com/dr/06dr/0607skinless_rod1.html
Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #56
IdetrimentI
Undimensional

Skinless: Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
7.2 /10
Lord K: Skinless’ breakfast consists of death metal, groove, death metal, cookies, death metal, pigs, death metal, more groove, death metal and some fucken killer death metal. This is the kind of morning-meal most death metal bands should fucken taste and learn from. 8

Ripper Bendix: Noooow, this is quite an inferno, isn’t it? I kinda image some sort of Zombie/Mass Murderer Olympics when I read the title of this album. 200 meter Corpse Hurdles? 100 meter Zombie Dash? Homicidal Maniac Shot Put? And fuck me sideways, there’s a god damn Hot Shots sample! This band is fucken GOLD methinks. 8

Rafal: Awsome drumfills and rampaging guitar-work. This album is a must-have for every death-metalhead who likes a little groove in the mix. 8

Desert Eagle: This is one of the few older bands that I’m glad is still around. This shit is heavy and tough with some sick pig-vocals thrown in. I could do without the samples for EVERY song but I guess that’s their thing. 8

Syrrok: At about the same time that everyone was rollerskating on the Venic Beach boardwalk, holding a ghetto-blaster and playing LL Cool J’s “Walkin Like a Panther” cassette-tape, the members of Skinless were listening to Celtic Frost. Now you tell me, just WHO had more fun!? 4

The Abyss: Nice brutal death metal that has understood what exactly made Grave and Dismember great. Namely the groove and the riffs. Not original but rewarding as fuck when you want to make that BBQ just a little bit more meaty. 7

http://www.globaldomination.se/autop...opsy-july-2006
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #57
Deathskull

http://metal-rules.com/review/viewre...ar=2006&pos=41

September 2006
Released: 2006, Relapse Records
Rating: 4.5/5
Reviewer: Lord of the Wasteland

New York’s Skinless was a band who failed to really impress me with their last album, 2003’s FROM SACRIFICE TO SURVIVAL. Yes, it was a devastating slab of brutal death metal but something just didn’t click. Their blend of old-school Suffocation-styled death metal and newer death-grind bands like Aborted was good but nothing spectacular. Then along came new vocalist Jason Keyser and all that has changed. Former vocalist Sherwood Webber was the sort of guy who got the job done but didn’t offer any vocal dynamic beyond the usual grunts and roars. Neil Kernon’s ultra-slick production job didn’t help matters either but on Skinless’ new album, TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD, the band sounds invigorated (along with Keyser, original drummer Bob Beaulac is back) and able to stand alongside their punishing live performances. Without a doubt, Skinless is one of the most devastating live bands I have ever witnessed and the new lineup has created an album more in line with 2001’s FORESHADOWING OUR DEMISE than FROM SACRIFICE TO SURVIVAL. Noah Carpenter’s powerhouse riffs still drive the songs but the use of film samples to drive home the brutality and set the tone for the music are welcomed back and Keyser’s multi-faceted voice is simply the icing on the cake, making TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD Skinless’ finest hour.

After a seething sample taken from the 1972 film CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES, “Overlord” blasts forward under the growls, gurgles, roars, squeals and shrieks of Jason Keyser. Noah Carpenter’s chugging riffs and the blast inferno of Bob Beaulac bulldoze the listener with a wall of unrelenting death metal fury. The clever use of the HOT SHOTS: PART DEUX quote, “War…it’s fantastic!” opens “A Unilateral Disgust” and the mid-tempo, technically-impressive riffing from Carpenter has been retained through each of the four Skinless albums. He flails away, speeding down the fretboard with focused precision and skronky harmonics while Beaulac and bassist Joe Keyser try their best to keep up. “Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated” is a bruising, sludgy track (it almost hits a Crowbar-like tempo at points) and when put up against the faster Skinless songs, it still holds its own. The title track (with intro from PATTON: “We're not just gonna shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those bastards by the bushel!”) really showcases Beaulac’s skills as a drummer and what was lacking on FROM SACRIFICE TO SURVIVAL. Like Webber, John Longstreth (Origin, Exhumed) got the job done but Beaulac is clearly an important piece of Skinless’ sound, choosing to kick his bass drum into submission rather than show off. The rumbling intro of “Spoils of The Sycophant” nearly obliterated my car’s woofer and Carpenter’s thrash-based riffs and death metal breakdown explode behind Keyser’s impressive vocal performance, which shifts gears seamlessly between an ultra-low, gurgled guttural roar to a menacing, paint-peeling shriek. Skinless covers Black Sabbath’s “Wicked World” and certainly make it their own. Carpenter is an avowed Sabbath fanatic and his doom-laden riffs parallel those crafted by Tony Iommi thirty-six years ago but Keyser really takes the ball and runs with it, double-tracking his vocals for an ominous effect. Joe Keyser gets to have some fun noodling on bass (the intro to “N.I.B.” is tacked on at the end) and Beaulac’s rolls and fills help to create a cover worthy of the classic original.

Along with Misery Index’s DISCORDIA and All Shall Perish’s THE PRICE OF EXISTENCE, Skinless has conjured a death metal triumph with TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD. It will be a tough act to follow but Skinless has clearly come into their own as a band and forsaken their earlier gross-out material (“Tampon Lollipops,” anyone?) for well-crafted, brutal death metal with a running war theme. Clocking in at a mere 36 minutes, a few more tracks could have been added without the band overstaying their welcome but less is always more and as it is, TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD is an absolute monster of an album.

KILLER KUTS: “Overlord,” “A Unilateral Disgust,” “Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead,” “Spoils of The Sycophant”
Old 09-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #58
Deathskull

http://www.metal-observer.com/articl...sid=1&id=10601

Any doubters of SKINLESS’ first outing with new vocalist Jason Keyser, brother of guitarist Joe Keyser, will be silenced within seconds of the new album. Clichés such as “wall of guitars” and making reference to an album as “devastating” and “brutal” suddenly make perfect sense when “Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead” is put on play.

Every song ranges from mid paced to blisteringly fast Death Metal, lacking solos but making up for it in the riffs department. While the first track, “Overlord,” is basically an introduction to the brutality about to ensue, the following tune, “A Unilateral Disgust” begins to showcase the blistering riffery that SKINLESS is capable of. A perfect balance between beautifully complex and simple, crushing riffs holds the album together perfectly.

SKINLESS knows exactly how to write insanely heavy Death Metal that maintains a groove, and with the acquisition of their intense new vocalist, they have recorded a winning album. Pick up this album, enjoy the war-themed artwork and samples throughout (“We’re going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks! We’re going to murder them by the bushel!”), and absolutely do not forget to check out the closing track, an awesome cover of BLACK SABBATH’s “Wicked World.” (Online September 19, 2006
Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #59
Deathskull

http://www.lambgoat.com/albums/view.aspx?id=2066

Like a true battalion, Skinless have amply recovered from drastic member loss experienced over the past two years, delivering their latest show of force, Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead, with gusto. But like with any battalion, losing a founding member and strategic gunner will change the way battles are planned and fought. Ironically, Skinless' previous album titles have provided some amusing foresight as to their growth and potential fate as a band. Their 2001 Relapse debut, Foreshadowing Our Demise, could have proven prophetic twice: first, when drummer Bob Beaulac quit the band following the album's release; and second, when band whore and skin wizard John Longstreth quit Skinless following the touring cycle for their third album.

The title of that album, From Sacrifice To Survival, actually succeeded in prophesizing what would happen next: both Longstreth and founding frontman Sherwood Webber sacrificed themselves from the ranks of Skinless, a pair of blows I was convinced would do the promising band in for good. But with the timely return of Beaulac (in revitalized form), and the coming of age of bassist Joe Keyser's brother Jason Keyser (formerly of Detriment), Skinless guaranteed their survival for at least another album, Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead.

Pretend as though From Sacrifice To Survival was never created, and Webber just quit Skinless following the world tour for Foreshadowing Our Demise. Then, Detriment vocalist Jason Keyser would join Skinless and the band would release this effort. Can you picture that scenario? I found it very difficult to at first. To follow up the cerebral, lightning-fast, and at times, melodious From Sacrifice To Survival with a decelerated and punishing album like Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead, was unexpected and even slightly confusing.

Other than Beaulac picking up the pace on the drums and displaying his quickest footwork yet on tracks like "Overlord" and the title track, and guitarist Noah Carpenter retaining up-tempo thrash riffs on "Deviation Will Not Be Tolerated," "Spoils Of The Syncophant," and "Execution Of Reason," Skinless have for the most part pressed rewind to a time before Longstreth arrived. They have also rewound on speed. Carpenter's love for Black Sabbath is evident on not only their modest cover of "Wicked World," but also "A Unilateral Disgust," whose principal riff is a sludgy beast, closely resembling Odd Fellows Rest-era Crowbar.

While Skinless' hard work ethic (and party ethic, if going by their entertaining 2004 Skinflick DVD) has never been in question, their former lyrical seriousness was, with amusing clips and song titles like "Tampon Lollipops," "Fetus Goulash," "Crispy Kids," "Tug Of War Intestines," and "Pool Of Stool," to name some, a fact that helped their fanbase grow while limiting it at the same time. In line with the band's improved musical prowess on From Sacrifice To Survival though, Webber followed suit, writing some dark, philosophical, and thought-provoking lyrics, which I feel went over the heads of most. His replacement Jason Keyser has wisely filled those lyrical shoes of Webber's, rather than his earlier ones, making for uniformly intelligent and challenging lyrics throughout this album.

Bottom Line: With only seven new although admittedly rock-solid tracks plus the long-awaited, recorded version of their Black Sabbath cover for "Wicked World," Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead is a tribute to Skinless' survival instinct. The album's brief length notwithstanding, Skinless have returned to their musical roots on this album, focusing on succinct songwriting and slow, pulverizing heaviness; which for their roughneck fans (likely a majority) works just fine, and so should it for the rest of us, because this is a memorable and headbanging-worthy album. But one can't help but wonder where the Cephalic Carngage-like amalgamation of extremity, experimentation, and speed that the band created on From Sacrifice To Survival went.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #60
Choronzon

Choronzon slam gang member
A review we did our SKINLESS' latest way back when it was released

http://masterful-magazine.com/recenz...cenzje&id=1584

US death metal formation Skinless never managed to rise to the upper echelon of the genre despite lengthy worldwide touring, hard work and consistent recorded outputs. “Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead” is another solid effort from the band, which pretty much fits in with their other Relapse issued titles. “Trample the Weak” sees the return of original drummer Bob Beaulac and Jason Keyser - brother of bassist Joe Keyser - has replaced departed long-time vocalist/frontman Sherwood Webber. Keyser has a mean set of vocal chords and the transition in the vocal department won’t cause any consternation for long-time Skinless devotees. Where 2003’s “From Sacrifice to Survival” was a bit experimental, this album is a solid return to the band’s formative sound including the hilarious samples that made their 2001 debut “Foreshadowing Our Demise” so great. There’s no shortage of Noah Carpenter’s signature riffs and Skinless hasn’t made any concessions. This album sees the unit perfecting their well-known in-your-face, no-holds-barred, groove-laden death metal sound. If you liked the band’s previous albums, you’ll enjoy this without further ado. They might not be the most original band in the scene today, but Skinless remain solid and consistent in delivery, execution and style, which is something that must be applauded as well.

http://www.4skinless.com
Choronzon is offline   Reply With Quote