SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Atheist

Atheist Website

Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Tyler Durden slam gang member
Latest from Blabbermouth...

Veteran ATHEIST guitarist Rand Burkey has been forced to bow out of the band's forthcoming festival performances due to legal troubles. Filling in for Burkey on the upcoming reunion shows will be veteran guitarist Chris Baker. Baker will be joining core ATHEIST members Kelly Shaefer (vocals), Tony Choy (bass), and Steve Flynn (drums) as well as guitarist Sonny Carson (who will be playing Shaefer's guitar role due to Shaefer's long-running battles with tendonitis and carpal tunnel). Baker and Carson are currently playing with Steve Flynn's new band GNOSTIC.

Commented Shaefer: "In fine ATHEIST tradition, we've been dealt another set of obstacles to overcome. These new problems have made these upcoming shows come very close to not happening but Chris is an extraordinary player, and has done a great job on the very difficult task of dissecting and learning Rand's guitar parts. Not having Rand be able to take part is a disappointment to us, but we have always honored our band commitments, even in the face of unbelievable odds, and this will be no exception. We've been playing these songs for months now, they are sounding great! We simply cannot wait to get it on!"

As previously reported, ATHEIST will be performing the following songs on their upcoming tour:

01. On They Slay
02. Unholy War
03. Piece of Time
04. Unquestionable Presence
05. Retribution
06. Mother Man
07. An Incarnation's Dream
08. And the Psychic Saw
09. I Deny
10. Mineral
11. Air
12. Fire

Upcoming ATHEIST shows:

Jul. 14-15 - Bloodstock Open Air @ Catton Hall - Derbyshire, UK
Jul. 16-17 - Evolution Festival - Brescia, ITA
Aug. 03 - Black Pes Music Bar - Prague, CZR
Aug. 4-5 - Wacken Open Air - Wacken, GER
Aug. 23-26 - Hole In The Sky Festival - Bergen, NOR
Aug. 27 - Mylos Xilourgio Thessaloniki, GRE
Aug. 28 - An Club Athens, GRE

I knew the full reunion was too good to be true.

Still, I can bet Rand is just as pissed that he can't make the tour. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try to make shit work - life just loves to throw you a curveball every once in a while.

It's gonna be interesting to see Gnosteist though, although as a fan, given the situation - I would understand if the planned dates were scrapped entirely...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Martinator
PhDoofus

Martinator slam gang member
Crap, I hope it's nothing overly serious! Still hope to see you guys here in Europe over the coming months, even if it's a bummer Rand won't be here as well...
Old 05-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #3
metaldick

metaldick slam gang member
Speaking as a 3rd party who has watched Mr.Baker play with Atheist, Baker does an excellent job. I know it sucks not to see the full band, but the music will NOT suffer. Chris has nailed Rands solos. Incredible is all I can say. I tip my hat to Mr.Baker. He is working his ass off on this stuff.

Gnosteist, I like that ;)
metaldick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Kill Or Be Killed

Kill Or Be Killed slam gang member
Such a news totally annihilated me..... I was fearing it and it did happen! The mighty Rand won't be part of it.... SUCK SUCKS SUCKS
Kill Or Be Killed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Transient
i wont

Transient beat up jewski
legal problems?!!?!?! what
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
WhoCares

WhoCares slam gang member
well... not much for me to say, except goddamnit! the one time my email is closed for a bit... blabbermouth beats me again... :|

Sad I won't get a chance to shake Rand's hand, happy Chris has stepped up...

WhoCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
zyquix

zyquix slam gang member
Just smuggle Rand along.

"What do you guys think about using death row inmates for animal experimentation instead of animals?....I mean giving them the optional choice, not just.. using them" -Paul Masvidal
zyquix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

quigonkick slam gang member
Atheist still gets my undying support. They've poured their asses into making this happen. What kind of people are we if ANY of us bail on ANY of the shows?

If anything, this gets me even more motivated to make 2 shows.

To HELL with the naysayers.

Besides, since I'm now a rabid Gnostic fan, I get two for the price of one! :banana:
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:49 AM   #9
zyquix

zyquix slam gang member
No one said "oh Rand won't be there, therefore I won't go". It's nothing against Baker (or Sonny), it's just too bad that both Atheist guitarists can't play now. I mean, Sonny filling in wasn't much of a surprise, we've all known about Kelly's hand, but this Rand thing is just sudden.

"What do you guys think about using death row inmates for animal experimentation instead of animals?....I mean giving them the optional choice, not just.. using them" -Paul Masvidal
Old 05-13-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyquix
No one said "oh Rand won't be there, therefore I won't go". It's nothing against Baker (or Sonny), it's just too bad that both Atheist guitarists can't play now. I mean, Sonny filling in wasn't much of a surprise, we've all known about Kelly's hand, but this Rand thing is just sudden.
I totally agree... I'm still booked up for Bloodstock & Wacken - Atheist were my ONLY reason for wasting money on either, so for that reason alone I hope they don't pull the plug on these shows. I'm positive Chris will do an admirable job on the live dates... I don't doubt that for a second - Although, you can't help but feel slightly dismayed at Rand not being in attendance. I think his inverted guitar playing is what helped make a lot of the bands music sound so unique. His unorthodox playing is really an integral part of the bands general aura, and it's difficult to imagine him not being there on stage with them. I'm just hoping no-one else drops out, otherwise it's gonna end up being an Atheist cover band...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Voodoo

Voodoo slam gang member
Arrow

Too bad for all the Europeans that Rand will not be there.

I hope these guys follow up with a tour in the US (if not tour than at least a show in Atlanta! *wink* *wink*). Hopefully, whatever legal issues Rand faces are no issue domestically.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:07 AM   #12
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

quigonkick slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyquix
While I agree, and I was definetly looking forward to seeing Rand in action, I guess I am so used to people immediately jumping ship and slamming away because of "only" one member's issues, even with such an event like this. My knee-jerk rection is to plow against that idiocy of fairweatherness. Now I know that people here on the forum wouldn't deviate from the shows, I hope I didn't imply that. I'm sure that no matter what, I came off as a nutswinger. Oh well. So be it. :begdn6:

I'm exhausted, so I hope that makes sense. AND I'm about to start four racks of ribs using my super special secret method for all the mothers in my life tommorrow. I hope this batch isn't the first bad batch.
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
carnis

carnis slam gang member
Unhappy Poor Rand Burkey!

From officialatheist.com.....

Burkey forced to bow out of ATHEIST performances
Veteran ATHEIST guitarist Rand Burkey has been forced to bow out of the bands forthcoming festival performances due to legal troubles.

Filling in for Burkey will be veteran guitarist Chris Baker. Baker will be joining core ATHEIST members Kelly Shaefer, Tony Choy, and Steve Flynn as well as guitarist Sonny Carson (who will be playing Shaefer's guitar role due to Shaefer's long-running battles w/ tendonitis and carpal tunnel.) Baker and Carson are currently playing with Steve Flynn's new band GNOSTIC.

"In fine ATHEIST tradition we've been dealt another set of obstacles to overcome. These new problems have made these upcoming shows come very close to not happening but Chris is an extraordinary player, and has done a great job on the very difficult task of dissecting and learning Rand's guitar parts" says Shaefer. "Not having Rand be able to take part is a disappointment to us, but we have always honored our band commitments, even in the face of unbelievable odds, and this will be no exception. We've been playing these songs for months now, they are sounding great! We simply cannot wait to get it on!."

>>>>

Legal troubles???? Can't get a work permit in time??? WTF???? :(

Such a shame... but the show must go on. And after hearing Gnostic... we're in safe hands with the replacement....
Old 05-15-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
zyquix

zyquix slam gang member
Check the "Latest from Blabbermouth" thread.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
SteveFlynn

SteveFlynn slam gang member
Hey everybody... yes, we're all disappointed in and about Rand. However, nothing is going to be cancelled and we even added the shows in Greece and look to do even more Atheist shows both in Europe and the U.S. in the coming months.

At the end of the day, it really means that only ONE of the original U.P. members won't be there....I feel bad for Rand. He's a good person that has gotten himself in a bit of a pickel. We can't talk in detail about his troubles, we'll leave that to him.

Sonny and Chris have done an amazing job. We just wrapped up a marathon rehearsal session and things went very, very well....(I don't even want to look at drums for a couple days.... ;) we're all very excited about the upcoming shows.
SteveFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
unheard1

unheard1 slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
I totally agree... I'm still booked up for Bloodstock & Wacken - Atheist were my ONLY reason for wasting money on either, so for that reason alone I hope they don't pull the plug on these shows. I'm positive Chris will do an admirable job on the live dates... I don't doubt that for a second - Although, you can't help but feel slightly dismayed at Rand not being in attendance. I think his inverted guitar playing is what helped make a lot of the bands music sound so unique. His unorthodox playing is really an integral part of the bands general aura, and it's difficult to imagine him not being there on stage with them. I'm just hoping no-one else drops out, otherwise it's gonna end up being an Atheist cover band...
Yo everyone, dont worry we have literally busted our asses to make this happen and it will happen and you guys will not be dissappointed. In fact you might just be suprised at how it sounds!! Rand will be missed this go around, but we are playing these tunes note for painstaking note, baker has duplicated rands solos, and both he and sonny have some minds to blow.
Just hearing the opening notes of UP in rehearsals gave me goosebumps.
You have Tony Choy, Steve Flynn, and myself,as originals. NOTHING else will be changing, the shows will be amazing, and we look forward to meeting you all, we are working on a way to be able to have long meet and greets at EVERY show so we can meet all of you who have been so supportive for all these years. so cheer up ATHEIST IS COMING TOWN FUCKERS!
unheard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:03 PM   #17
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

I can't fucking wait for this shit!!! I really need to meet you guys - I got 2 sets of your albums to get signed! I'm hoping you may plan a wander round the merch stalls at Bloodstock (as there's less people there than there will be at Wacken) at a pre-planned time so I can grab some photos with you all as well (sometimes with these festival signing tents, the bands end up sitting behind tables about 10 feet away & are so far away that there's no way on earth anyone gets a chance for a photo with the bands). If you guys get there early and get a feel for the layout of the land, let us all know at the end of the show if you're gonna have a wander after your full-on signing session.

Like I mentioned, I don't imagine for a second that Sonny & Chris will fuck up on this one - I know they'll lay down the fucking law! They have nothing to prove to my ears. I was merely having a small panic attack at the news of Rand not being able to make it this time round. I just hope that you guys may continue to do one-off festival shows for a few years and maybe come back on occasion at a later date (hopefully with Rand, if he manages to conquer his current oppression). I still maintain a one-off show in London would be very welcome...
Old 05-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #18
PROPHECIES fORETOLD

PROPHECIES fORETOLD slam gang member
Question

I thought that Tony Choy said goodbye to metal a long time ago, because he was playing in a salsa band called Area 305 or something like that?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #19
SteveFlynn

Tony may want to comment here further..... but, you're right Tony was playing in a Latin band called "Area 305" for some time, but he's always been a musician with broad interests, talents, and experiences. He's also been producing, recording and doing a lot of work behind the scenes. However, he's never "left" metal. Like all of us, he's explored many areas of music. He hasn't changed his love of the music since his days in Cynic, Pestilence, and Atheist. And as soon as this opportunity came along for us to get together to play - as well as work on future projects together - he jumped at it. He's still the same Tony Choy.....
Old 05-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #20
PROPHECIES fORETOLD

PROPHECIES fORETOLD slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFlynn
Tony may want to comment here further..... but, you're right Tony was playing in a Latin band called "Area 305" for some time, but he's always been a musician with broad interests, talents, and experiences. He's also been producing, recording and doing a lot of work behind the scenes. However, he's never "left" metal. Like all of us, he's explored many areas of music. He hasn't changed his love of the music since his days in Cynic, Pestilence, and Atheist. And as soon as this opportunity came along for us to get together to play - as well as work on future projects together - he jumped at it. He's still the same Tony Choy.....

Nothing wrong with it, I was just surpriced to hear he wants to play metal again. Is he in a band now or only area 305?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #21
SteveFlynn

yeah, no problem....just wanted to answer your question. I'm sure Tony will log on and answer your question about his various musical activities away from Atheist.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #22
zyquix

zyquix slam gang member
wow.. I had always known that Tony had played in Atheist, Cynic and Pestilence, but it never really hit me that he is the only one to have played in all three of the bands that are dubbed the leaders of the tech/jazz metal of the early 90's. weird.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #23
cod_fury

cod_fury slam gang member
it;'s because he is god
cod_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #24
zyquix

zyquix slam gang member
indeed.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #25
SteveFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight
Having just recently found out about the brilliant Atheist and buying all their reissues right away (bought Piece of Time not knowing much, then went back to the local record store and hour later to buy the other two), I'd just be happy to see them live at all. Music in the States just sucks with brilliant artists getting little recognition for it until it's all over.

Well, I posted this on the Celtic Frost forum and Atheist was very well received. In fact, whenever there was a Death or Cynic thread, the name kept coming up, so I decided to try.

In closing, there's at least one New York fan willing to see the show.
Wow! Thanks a lot man. We really appreciate it. I'm glad you got turned onto the band...better late than never....We'll be playing the states and we couldn't do that without playing in New York. We'll see you there.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #26
sknight

sknight slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkick
People like you give me hope for humanity.
Thanks \m/

Unfortunately, I was young during the first wave of many metal bands, but I was into the Coroner, the Obituaries, and so on.

Now that I'm older, I have the means to actually seek out and find the bands that helped shape the music many of us listen to today, such as the Cynics, Celtic Frosts, Watchtowers, Deaths, and of course, Atheist. There are just so many bands out there to find whose music was so ahead of its time that it can still hold up against the more technologically improved recordings of today.

And when the opportunity arose, I couldn't pass up buying this:

sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
SteveFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight
Thanks \m/

There are just so many bands out there to find whose music was so ahead of its time that it can still hold up against the more technologically improved recordings of today.
Excellent point....and there was no ProTools back then...it was live in the studio... what was played is what was recorded.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #28
phodg

phodg slam gang member
Be very careful of the new Celtic Frost. The new Celtic Frost doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to the old Celtic Frost. Their new album disappointed me tremendously. Still, that's only my opinion. I'm sure a lot of people will love it.
phodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:46 AM   #29
sknight

sknight slam gang member
I know what the new CF is, as I've waited a very long time for it, since there was no Celtic Frost in 2000, to the announcement of the completion of Monotheist.

I'm pretty much a superfan and a bit more:
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #30
bassman11

bassman11 slam gang member
Ill always be a metal head

Hey guys,

Well Im no longer in Area 305 it was a another schooling in the biz for me as all this different journeys have been threw the years.

I have learned alot with alll the bands I have played with and by no means has made me a god just a focused musician.

And a versitile one wich I recomend for anybody taking any sort of instrument seriously dont be shy explore your horizons dont limit your self ever ever.

Be the best that you can be and always try to be a cut above the rest stand out with out trying.

Thats my advise as a player for over 22 years, I think all you guys are winners and incredible fans.

See you on tour Ill defenatly be walking around Im a social head lets talk music and bring plenty of film cause I want copies.

Tony

Last edited by bassman11; 06-05-2006 at 04:21 PM.
bassman11 is offline   Reply With Quote