SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Atheist

Atheist Website

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Tyler Durden slam gang member
Anyone else not so excited about the Patrick Mameli's Pestilence non-reunion???

Taken fron Slabbermouth article:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=88730

PESTILENCE Resurrected: 'More Tech And Way More Brutal Than Ever Before' - Jan. 18, 2008

Dutch guitarist/vocalist Patrick Mameli has confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET that he has resurrected his late '80s/early '90s death metal outfit PESTILENCE with a brand new lineup, featuring Patrick on vocals and guitar, Tony Choy (ATHEIST, CYNIC) on bass and Peter Wildoer (DARKANE, NON-HUMAN LEVEL) on drums. Patrick is reportedly working on new material which he has described as a modern fusion of "Testimony of the Ancients" (1991) and "Spheres" (1993), but even more technical and brutal. The group's new album will tentatively be recorded by Danish producer Jacob Hansen (RAUNCHY, INVOCATOR) and produced by Patrick himself, and will be issued through Holland's Mascot Records.

Speaking to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding his decision to bring PESTILENCE back from the dead, Mameli stated, "It's not a reunion, because I will not be playing with any of the old lineup guys, except Tony Choy [who played on 'Testimony'], of course so...

"I always stated there WILL NEVER BE a reunion, and there won't be, since I never look back at the past and I refuse now to play with people that are not on the same musical level as I am.

"I sang on 'Testimony' and 'Spheres' (two albums later from 'Consuming Impulse' [1989]!!), so no need for [original PESTILENCE frontman] Martin [Van Drunen]. This because of the above statement I just made. Furthermore, Martin is doing other things. Good for him.

"So now you have two members that were in PESTILENCE before and one new guy.

"The reason why I bring PESTILENCE back to life is that people/fans keep asking me for this. The time is right now and Mascot is giving me the opportunity to do so.

"As you know, I have always been the driving force behind PESTILENCE, writing all the music and so forth, so that I can state: I will bring back PESTILENCE to life. More tech and way more brutal than ever before."

Mameli's C-187 project, which also features Tony Choy, Sean Reinert (drums; CYNIC, ex-DEATH) and Tony Jelencovich (vocals; M.A.N, ex-TRANSPORT LEAGUE, MNEMIC), released its debut album, "Collision", last year via Mascot Records. The CD was recorded at Spacelab Studios in Oedt/Moers (near Düsseldorf), Germany and was mixed by Jacob Hansen.

Quote:
Mameli stated, "It's not a reunion, because I will not be playing with any of the old lineup guys, except Tony Choy [who played on 'Testimony'], of course so...

"I always stated there WILL NEVER BE a reunion, and there won't be, since I never look back at the past and I refuse now to play with people that are not on the same musical level as I am.
Is this not a contradiction in terms? If it's not a reunion - why use the old band name? OK, I can understand Marco not playing drums, as his style always sounded quite basic & there are far superior drummers out there who can now fit in with the 'technical' aspect of the music. With Mr. Choy - who WOULDN'T want the Technical Death Bass Master to play on their album??? However, if Mameli seriously thinks he's on a far superior musical level as a vocalist than Martin Van Drunen - then I'd say his head has been seriously warped by the Hobbit's 'leaf' Patrick, you're an amazing guitarist (I'll give you that), but your vocals are nothing compared to Van Drunen's!

Quote:
"I sang on 'Testimony' and 'Spheres' (two albums later from 'Consuming Impulse' [1989]!!), so no need for [original PESTILENCE frontman] Martin [Van Drunen]. This because of the above statement I just made. Furthermore, Martin is doing other things. Good for him.
Yes, like Martin hadn't already approached you before now for the purpose of a Pestilence reunion & like Martin would really give into your egotistical demands, by only playing songs from Testimony & Spheres - whilst completely ignoring the earlier classics, 'Mallevs Malleficarvm & Consvming Impvlse', which HE sang on??? What's the point of bringing Pestilence back when you're going to ignore the first 2 albums

See one of Martin Van Drunen's honest interviews here for further elaboration on Mameli's apparently deranged psychosis...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=76038

Quote:
"The reason why I bring PESTILENCE back to life is that people/fans keep asking me for this. The time is right now and Mascot is giving me the opportunity to do so.
Sorry, Patrick - but I think you severely misinterpreted the actual Pestilence line-up your fans wanted to see & hear. OK, so you've finally been encouraged to lay down your C-187 rap crap and get back to Technical Death Metal again, and whilst we have no doubt as to your guitar widdling capabilities & the calibre of music you could write with Tony & Peter behind you, it may be best to call the band something else don't you think? To call this band Pestilence will be rather misleading under the circumstances. Your fans will still stick by you as I'm sure we're all interested enough to hear any new non-rap music you do, but think very carefully about your legacy will you???
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

quigonkick slam gang member
I say let's let the music do the talking. Should we really let inner band politics get in the way of enjoying this stuff? Just take it at face value, for what it is, and not get wrapped up in putting this through a series of qualifications destined to sink the ship before THE FIRST TUNE IS EVEN WRITTEN.

People say the same thing about Megadeth, yet ol' Dave keeps knocking their dicks in the dirt.
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkick View Post
I say let's let the music do the talking. Should we really let inner band politics get in the way of enjoying this stuff? Just take it at face value, for what it is, and not get wrapped up in putting this through a series of qualifications destined to sink the ship before THE FIRST TUNE IS EVEN WRITTEN.

People say the same thing about Megadeth, yet ol' Dave keeps knocking their dicks in the dirt.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear what they write, but I just think they ought to call the band, MAMELI - and stop pussying around slagging off past band members & acting all god-like. Which brings me onto Megadeth,,,

I haven't taken anything Davice 'Christ' Cooperstaine released after Countdown To Extinction seriously. Especially not now Wankstaine has become a born again Pastor & fully fledged bible-basher. Every interview the guy does now is a total Sermon for Jeebus. It's true what Kerry King once said on Mustaine's constant verbullshit... "The guy just buries himself deeper with every word he says... he's a self comedian without the punchline!" Sure, he may know how to write riffs, but he sure as fuck don't know when to shut the hell up!
Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Are you more concerned with his interviews or his music? I have yet to hear these interviews on the albums, and it's the albums Megadeth are known for. I'll admit Risk and World were stinkers, but to discount his recent output because he speaks of what works for him is kinda silly. Especially if one elects to slam him because he doesn't share one's own opinions.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Are you more concerned with his interviews or his music? I have yet to hear these interviews on the albums, and it's the albums Megadeth are known for. I'll admit Risk and World were stinkers, but to discount his recent output because he speaks of what works for him is kinda silly. Especially if one elects to slam him because he doesn't share one's own opinions.
I really don't want to get into this, as I kicked off the thread to hear people's thoughts on the joke which is the Pestilence reunion. NOT promote Stryperdeth by proxy. So this will be my final word on the Wankstaine subject...

It would be ok if Mustaine believed in his Big Barney The Dinosaur in the sky & kept that shit to himself, However, his delusions have now started creeping into his lyrics as well. I'm sorry, but there is so much hypocrisy between old & new Mustaine that it's comedy platinum! When I listen to an album, I don't want to put up with subliminal sermons from muppets like Wankstaine. If I felt so strongly about Jeebus - I'd attend church regularly. I just don't dig people like Dave & other christian bands ramming their dogma down my throat. Sure, like I said - Dave may be able to riff like a bastard, but I just can't stomach his bullshit god worship lyrics...

I think for anyone to be past the age of their first day at primary school, to still have an imaginary friend is quite pitiful...
Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

I'm not trying to instigate a flamewar or a bitchmatch, just picking your brain.

I think it's hypocritical when people have zero problem "hailing Satan", but clam up when anything opposite that is brought up. I'm not a religious person and haven't set foot in a church in years, but I can't help but snicker at how one-sided people can be. If you believe in one, by default you have to believe in the other.

And as for "new vs old" Mustaine, I don't play with Matchbox cars anymore. I did at one point... a LONG time ago. Dave's "evil" stuff was being cut TWENTY-TWO years ago! Does that make me comedy platinum because I'm not a carbon copy of who I was so many years ago? Dave has found something that works for him - let's not forget that this helped get his act together - and just because that stuff may be creeping into his lyrics doesn't discount his value as a musician or a person JUST because his views don't align with yours.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
MaskedJackal
I <3 Coroner

MaskedJackal slam gang member
In a word, yes. I'm not.
MaskedJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Martinator
PhDoofus

Martinator slam gang member
Gotta go with our resident terrorist on this one: although I'll give the music the benefit of the doubt, until I get to give it a good listen, the disdain Mameli has shown for the early work and some of the former members of Pestilence should be enough for him not to use the name Pestilence, since it's not a reunion, doesn't involve someone who most of the Pesti-fans regard as at least as important as Mameli, and means to head in a musical direction that probably won't really fit the Pestilence monicker. The latter would be OK with me if it involved Foddis and Uterwijk and they were all in line with some sort of change in the sound, but this is purely a Mameli thing, and in spite of what he seems to think, Pestilence was more than just him. I personally also think that he severely overplayed his musical hand on Spheres - few (in metal) have the musical talent to compose the way Keyser/White/Jarzombek, Schuldiner, Patterson, and Masvidal et al. can.

MegaDave is a bit of a different case, I think, since he always was the main guy in Megadeth, in every way, much to chagrin of certain former members who tagged along for the ride. Whatever he cares to do with his band is his decision - and personally I think his output since RIP sucks beyond words. The fact that he went christian doesn't have much to do with that, as far as I'm concerned: I like Believer, even if their lyrics are as silly to me as any BM bands "satanic" drivel. It's the music that matters, and in the end that's true for Mameli's new effort as well, although I maintain it should not have been called Pestilence anymore. I don't expect it to kick my butt even remotely as much as Consuming Impulse did, and I admit it may be hard for me to put aside the feeling that Van Drunen ought to be part of any Pestilence continuation, but we'll see what Mameli comes up with...
Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
I'm not trying to instigate a flamewar or a bitchmatch, just picking your brain.

I think it's hypocritical when people have zero problem "hailing Satan", but clam up when anything opposite that is brought up. I'm not a religious person and haven't set foot in a church in years, but I can't help but snicker at how one-sided people can be. If you believe in one, by default you have to believe in the other.

And as for "new vs old" Mustaine, I don't play with Matchbox cars anymore. I did at one point... a LONG time ago. Dave's "evil" stuff was being cut TWENTY-TWO years ago! Does that make me comedy platinum because I'm not a carbon copy of who I was so many years ago? Dave has found something that works for him - let's not forget that this helped get his act together - and just because that stuff may be creeping into his lyrics doesn't discount his value as a musician or a person JUST because his views don't align with yours.
You're making this really difficult for me to keep quiet. As far as I'm concerned, there is no god or satan. I live my life as I please with no bullshit dogma attached.

I never once said Wankstaine was a shit musician, nor do I care what he does in his personal life. I'd just rather not have to listen to it, when he's trying to ram his dogma down my throat in his more recent lyrics & interviews (or religious sermons as I like to call them).
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
Antzzz

Antzzz slam gang member
then just don't listen to megadeth and stop whining. how can you call it "forcing down your throat" when there is actually a button on your cd player that says "stop" ??!!!!
Antzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antzzz View Post
then just don't listen to megadeth and stop whining. how can you call it "forcing down your throat" when there is actually a button on your cd player that says "stop" ??!!!!
I apologize if I didn't explain my point of view clearly enough. When I said '"I'd rather not listen to Megachrist" - I was hoping that some people would have the foresight & intelligence to read between the lines & actually come to the conclusion that I DON'T listen to Stryperdeth for the exact fucking reasons I gave in my previous posts!

Stop splitting hairs you fucking clown shoe...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #12
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
You're making this really difficult for me to keep quiet.
Just having a discussion, man. If you want to get fluffed up that's your choice. Keeping you quiet isn't on my to-do list.

I wonder why you keep reading his interviews if you really think this way. By design, a magazine is a choice of "to read" or "not to read". In other words, you can't rape the willing.

By the way, do you get this chaffed when some band speaks their mind about Satan? Surely you can agree that not only this is one of the most overused and tired cliches in metal, but regarding your words is just as intolerable as having Mustaine speaking his view. Right?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
SteveFlynn

SteveFlynn slam gang member
Well, I, for one, had no idea Dave Mustain had gone all Jesus-freak. Is he really some sort of ordained Christian Preacher now? Does he talk about God and Christ and all that when he does interviews? I'm curious.

As far as mamelli, I know that some of the old pestilence gets legendary status, but I've never really been a fan.....I've never disliked the music at all...I'm just not that familiar with it... And, you'll forgive me if I'm not a huge fan of the album that Tony played on when while we were in the studio recording Unquestionable - just after Roger died and, well, I'm sure most of you know the events that transpired at that point, so no need to rehash them again.

Also, the less-than-stellar reception that C-187 has received I think is perhaps driving this whole pestilence thing....just my uninformed take on it anyway.
SteveFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Saldiac

Saldiac slam gang member
Interesting how this topic went to shit haha. How did Mustaine end up being the focus of it?

@ Steve: fair enough. I know I read about how Pestilence ended up grabbing Tony for the recording of their album but forgot the specifics.
I must be getting old.

C-187 proved that excellent musicians does not equal good music. Quite possible that his record label pushed Mameli to restart Pestilence.
I'm not getting my hopes up very high but I'll wait until I hear the music.
Besides, Peter Wildoer can do nothing wrong in my book; great guy and a terrific drummer!
Saldiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Just having a discussion, man. If you want to get fluffed up that's your choice. Keeping you quiet isn't on my to-do list.

I wonder why you keep reading his interviews if you really think this way. By design, a magazine is a choice of "to read" or "not to read". In other words, you can't rape the willing.

By the way, do you get this chaffed when some band speaks their mind about Satan? Surely you can agree that not only this is one of the most overused and tired cliches in metal, but regarding your words is just as intolerable as having Mustaine speaking his view. Right?
Funnily enough, I don't get 'fluffed up' with bands singing about satan, murder & bathing in entrails, etc. for the reason that most Death Metal is so fucking brutal, that those particular subjects fit like a glove when it comes to lyrics. I hardly think Deicide would sound the same if they had songs about having coffee mornings in their sunday best with their grandparents & taking their elderly neighbors trash out to the garbage truck once a week. Metal bands have been using dark lyrics & imagery since the inception of Black Sabbath. Sorry, if that shit ain't particularly original or inspiring for such a liberal mind as yourself, but them's the breaks

Also, I don't read magazines - but I do regularly scroll down Blabbermouth (where I found this Pestilence article) & Wankstaine is very rarely NOT using it as a platform for his Little God House on the Prairie sermons. It's kind of difficult to actually avoid catching some of his scripture recitals when you're trying to scroll past them in a hurry to find some decent news.

At the end of the day - Fuck Mustaine, God, Satan, All forms of Metal Music which are cliche' ... Oh, and fuck things in general & miscellaneous, just in case I've left something out that you may want to pick holes in.

Now can we fucking well get back to Pestilence please???
Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Funnily enough, I don't get 'fluffed up' with bands singing about satan, murder & bathing in entrails, etc. for the reason that most Death Metal is so fucking brutal, that those particular subjects fit like a glove when it comes to lyrics.
You know, that's a really good point. So why didn't you say so in the first place instead of coming off as a hypocrite?

Quote:
... Oh, and fuck things in general & miscellaneous, just in case I've left something out that you may want to pick holes in.
Hardy har har

Quote:
Also, I don't read magazines - but I do regularly scroll down Blabbermouth...
Oh, well, EXCUSE ME, since there's a world of difference between the two... except that they are BOTH voluntary reads. Sheesh, talk about nit-picking!

Quote:
Now can we fucking well get back to Pestilence please???
Now you really need to choose one: Terrorist or Thread Nazi.

And this is for associating me with the word "liberal":

Quote:
Davice 'Christ' Cooperstaine ... Wankstaine ... Sermon for Jeebus... Stop splitting hairs you fucking clown shoe... Little God House on the Prairie... Megachrist... Stryperdeth
Nice plate-hiding portion of that post-primary school maturity you mentioned.

Don't take too much of that too seriously. Hopefully you know by now that I like to have fun here.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
Voodoo

Voodoo slam gang member
I'll just sit back and wait to hear what Mameli et al release.

Good points made on calling this entire affair a Pestilence reunion, but it is not uncommon for bands to change members while retaining the same name. If I remember correctly, Napalm Death has managed to completely turn over its band members once - haven't they released an album with not one original member or am I skewing things a bit? Nonetheless, Napalm Death's catalogue consists of albums that are of consistent high quality, a testament to the stability of the band as a product imo. One could make a similar complaint about Atheist's 'reunion' seeing as Kelly's vocals are the only constant about the band.

That's my two cents worth.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #18
SteveFlynn

I hear your point on "reuniting" I don't put Atheist in the category of like Pestilence or some of the other bands that basically had 1 person as the glue and on almost every album you have completely different musicians. Death is a great example...the only constant was Chuck. If Chuck was alive...What would a Death reunion look like? I suppose you could have a "Human" reunion or a "I T P" reunion or a "S B G" reunion etc. I mean, by the Pestilence, Napalm, Deicide, Death et al standard, Atheist is about as stable as it gets. For all the reunion shows, we had 3 of the 4 original U.P. line up playing... couldn't help Roger dying and Rand not being able to do it. We tried....we even tried to resurrect Rog...but he wasn't available... he was in some other dimension - like he's always been! ;) Unlike a lot of those bands, Atheist was never a one-person force. It was always a group force... if that makes any sense.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
Voodoo

Voodoo slam gang member
That makes good sense. I suppose a band's identity, since that seems to be what we are discussing, is the issue. Napalm Death is a good example of this. When I think of this band I really think of the music, not the individual musicians. That's because their music has remained fairly stable in its evolutionary direction to my ears. They started out as a punk/grind/metal band and have created music that has progressed from that point in a seemingly stable manner despite all the changes to the band. According to Wiki, none of the current members are the original members of the band (a significant point of irony for me given the anti-capitalist rhetoric of so many of their songs ). Despite this, to me the band as an entity has remained stable.

The same thing holds true for Black Sabbath, despite Tony Iommi being the only constant for this band, their music has varied significantly during this band's existence and its half a dozen or so singers it has utilized over the past what, 5 decades (fuck I am getting old)?The whole of this band's music always seems to be greater than the sum of its parts, i.e. there is terrific complementarity amongst the members that are participating and that has been rather constant imo concerning their entire catalogue.

On the other hand, a band like Iron Maiden really lost their identity to me when Dickinson left as their singer. Somehow, Blaze could not fill in for Dickinson the way that Dickinson filled in for DiAnno. Even more confusing to me is that even though Dickinson has returned, this band has not returned. The Iron Maiden of today is nowhere hear the Iron Maiden of the 80s. Today, they sound like a group of musicians that have gotten together to play some music, but the sum of the parts are in fact the whole and it is nothing more than that. This is quite different than it was in the 80s. Even their classics performed live are painful to listen to these days.

I guess what I am saying is that a band's identity is made up of more than its members. Should Cryptopsy change its name with the absence of Lord Worm and Jon Levasseur? I don't know. They seemed to retain their identity with DiSalvo handling the vocals. The band's participants seemed to complement each other during the Disalvo era without much interruption. Will it continue with the current version? I don't know, I'll have to wait to hear how things turn out.

The same thing goes for Pestilence. We'll see.

I should add I don't think Atheist has ever lost its identity. I haven't seen any of the reunion shows, but there was a significant change in losing Patterson and Flynn, along with Shaffer suffering his arm injury and yet those albums affected by these changes generated no discernable interruption in the identity of the band raised through its music.

I apologize if I sound incoherent here. I already spent too much time writing this out.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #20
Saldiac

Saldiac slam gang member
Pestilence related so I'll post it here. German band Obscura featuring former Pestilence bass player Jeroen Paul Thesseling: http://www.myspace.com/realmofobscura

I dig this a lot. Does anyone think Mameli will exceed Obscura's brutality?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
You know, that's a really good point. So why didn't you say so in the first place instead of coming off as a hypocrite?
Hypocrite? So, I ain't allowed to have my own thoughts to be free of religious dogma? Are Atheist hypocrites for having the audacity to play HELLFEST in France last year? Is Kelly & some of the other band members hypocrites for making the 'cornuto' (aka Goat Horn hand sign) during the show or in the photos I got when I met them? Come to think of it, isn't Dave Wankstaine a hypocrite for playing HELLFEST last year the same day as Atheist? I guess he must be a double Wankstaine Hypocrite after his "I'm not playing on the same bill as any Satanic bands!" stance he's adopted along with his new bible... (see below thread for details) only to be on the stage playing as a 'support band' for EMPEROR???

The word hypocrisy has lost all it's power so it seems...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=88511

Quote:
Oh, well, EXCUSE ME, since there's a world of difference between the two... except that they are BOTH voluntary reads. Sheesh, talk about nit-picking!
Like Devin Townsend once said, sometimes you have to wade through the bullshit to find the pearl. With magazines at least you have photos to indicate the associated articles which can aid in avoiding the bullshit you don't want to put up with, but Slabbermouth is a scroll down the page non-indicator of what you will be reading next scenario. Unfortunately, that site is one of the most up to date Metal News sites on the go, and if you want to find out about Metal and it's delicacies, it's one of the source providers.

Quote:
Now you really need to choose one: Terrorist or Thread Nazi.

And this is for associating me with the word "liberal":
Terrorist, under my user name is a play on words to co-incide with the character from the film. Thread Nazi? When I said PLEASE???

Quote:
Nice plate-hiding portion of that post-primary school maturity you mentioned.
There's a world of difference between believing you have an imaginary friend & dumbing down your forum language to text format so it can blend in and be understood by some of the bottom feeders that try to communicate with you...

Quote:
Don't take too much of that too seriously. Hopefully you know by now that I like to have fun here.
I guess we must have a different sense of humor...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #22
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldiac View Post
Pestilence related so I'll post it here. German band Obscura featuring former Pestilence bass player Jeroen Paul Thesseling: http://www.myspace.com/realmofobscura

I dig this a lot. Does anyone think Mameli will exceed Obscura's brutality?
Stellar band. I don't think Mameli is aiming at the brutality stakes anymore though. I reckon he'll just try to prog out as much as possible really. I like his music, but I just doubt his intentions behind a Pestilence reunion with himself as the driving force. He's maybe mistaking himself for being a Chuck Schuldiner type, who ARE the band name. When he clearly is nothing of the sort. He can try and convince himself that Pestilence wouldn't exist if it weren't solely for himself, but I've always saw them as a working band, not a working solitary ego. From what I remember, when Testimony of the Ancients came out and Pestilence toured the UK... practically every gig Pestilence played was not very well received. It was Malevolent Creation & Cancer who supported them on that tour & from what I remember, the crowds kept calling for Cancer to come back on stage whilst Pestilence were playing.

I'm wondering if Mameli is actually planning on taking this bastard out on the road or if it's just going to remain a studio project. If they take it on the road, who's going to be the drummer when Wildoer gets reigned back into his Darkane commitments? Will Captain Choy throw in the towel with Atheist to tour with this Pestilence tribute act? Who will be the 2nd guitarist? (as they'll need one to pull off all recorded work on stage convincingly). I know it's early days, but I just wish he'd call the project something else. Mascot Records can always shove a sticker on the album cover stating "Featuring ex-Pestilence Members" which will still garner interest. In fact I think the fact the news is out there now that Mameli is working on new heavier prog Metal shit, that most of his fans would come out the woodwork anyway just out of curiosity to see what the cat is killing next!

As for Cryptopsy, I've aired my views on them plenty on their forum. However, unlike Cryptopsy... I have optimism that Mameli will be able to retain far more integrity even with Pestilence as a tribute band, that Cryptospy ever will with their new Emo vocalist & Film Score female (sex sells) keyboardist.

I don't even want to get started on Cynic. The fact they're doing a new album after being removed from Metal for all these years has me somewhat unconvinced. Sure, watching them live at Hellfest last year was interesting, they were essentially a cover band though, going through the motions. I don't think they'll ever match the heaviness of Aghora for Transcendental Metal. I don't know why they're bothering? Atheist have the right idea - let's NOT record under the well respected band name & fuck up the legacy...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #23
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Tyler,

Okay, so you don't believe in God OR Satan. Fine. We get it. I'm not saying I do either, but being pissed at Dave for including his beliefs in his lyrics/interviews/takeout orders because they support one of those views but NOT being just as outraged when bands regularly cover the other - which is neither original nor groundbreaking at this point - seems a bit off to me. Throwing the "but... but... but it fits the music" out there to justify it is, in my opinion, off even though it is a brilliant observation (no sarcasm, it really is a good point). That's just my take. I'm not trying to sell you on the idea, and I don't care if you think I'm wrong. I could very well BE wrong, 'cause such has been proven before.

You know just as well as I do that any of Dave's "sermons", as you like to call them, stand out like a turd in a punch bowl when reading the Blabbermouth headlines. I mean, how many times do you need to be surprised before you start automatically skipping anything with his name attached to it?

The tag quip was a joke. That's why I put the " " after it. Wit doesn't translate well to the written word and in my case, not at all. That's fine, but that's why I put it there. No passive-aggressive action happening here.

I guess we do have differing humor, but that's what makes a horse race. Obviously we wouldn't both be here if we didn't share at least one common interest. Frankly, I'm glad you're here.

Now on to other things... Napalm Death was mentioned so I feel obligated to chime in there in regards to the use of a band name after "excessive employee turnover". What is known as the "second side" of Scum - their first full length - had zero original members on it. Miles Ratledge (sp?) was the original drummer, who was later replaced by Mick Harris. Not only that, but the current lineup not only has zero original members, but has zero of the second wave of members.

In my opinion, the ND lineup as it is today is by far the most lethal of all ND lineups. I've witnessed this lineup twice and I tell ya, it's like standing in front of a blast furnace wearing a thick coat of cooking oil. They ARE Napalm Death, regardless of what has happened in the past.

So does that mean that all those who can't move forward past the "Hatred Surge" demo have a rightful claim that today's lineup isn't "troo" enough to wage war under the Napalm Death banner? Those founding members are doing what now musically? Nothing too close to what ND is doing, that's for sure. And don't get me wrong, ALL of those gentlemen are amazing musicians and surely anything they touch is worth looking into. Scorn is/was amazing and I put Justin Broadrick in the top tier of truly gifted and groundbreaking musicians. I'd surely piss myself if I ever got to meet the guy. He'd walk away with writer's cramp.

Moving on, I think it's not up to the fans to dictate who should do what under what name and when they should do it and with whom. That would defeat the purpose of this being art AND compromise the integrity which so many people insist remains virgin. Art is for us to either enjoy or move on from, not to call the shots and shape like it's some sort of democracy. Again, that's my opinion.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #24
SteveFlynn

soooooooo...how bout that wacky pestilence... you guys hear that they're reuniting? Interesting.... huh? ;) What do you think about that?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFlynn View Post
soooooooo...how bout that wacky pestilence... you guys hear that they're reuniting? Interesting.... huh? ;) What do you think about that?
I think everyone is beyond caring at this point - it may be a good time to delete the thread,,,
Old 02-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #26
Saldiac

Saldiac slam gang member
I think this is the topic to post my Pestilence interview in.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #27
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
That was a really cool interview. I liked some of your panzer-fire questioning... it certainly rattled his cage quite a bit In all honesty after reading it, Mameli hasn't really changed my opinions on the whole Pestilence reunion scenario. He was way too defensive in his answers. He'd make a typical head of state... "Politician... I see through your charade!!!" (copyright Atheist), He's convinced he knows what he's doing, so I guess we'll have to wait and see whether he sinks or swims with his 'born again' Death Metal career...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #28
Voodoo

Voodoo slam gang member
Interesting interview. Personally, I'm looking forward to the new material. I also like the fact he has not minimized his musical efforts to just metal. Exploring other genres of music exposes a musician to a wider array of ideas and I would think, fosters greater creativity.

Mameli was a significant part of some GREAT music, so my expectations are high. Btw, C-187 wasn't awful.

Nice to see Mameli can not only dish it out, but take it as well.

Again, good interview.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
Saldiac

Saldiac slam gang member
Thanks guys.
I always try to make it interesting for all parties involved. Especially with someone like Mameli who's outspoken and who stirs things up among metal fans my goal was to give him critical but honest questions that are relevant i.m.o.

C-187 has undeniably stirred up mixed reactions and regardless of my own opinion about that album I again felt it necessary to bring it up.

It took some explaining on my part to convince him that I wasn't out to flame him or Pestilence but eventually he came through and returned the interview.

It is interesting how many differences in personality I encounter when doing these interviews with folks like Patrick Mameli, Paul Masdival, Kam Lee and Jörgen Sandström.
I just hope my interviews with these guys are entertaining and interesting enough for our readers.

We'll see how the new Pestilence album will turn out.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 AM   #30
epitaph

epitaph beat up jewski
Quote:
That interview was truly cool, cheers for sharing

I have a feeling no one will dig the new Pestilence.
I'll definetly give it a chance, as I dont have a problem looking past the old albums and seeing this is what Pestilence is now