Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Atheist

Atheist Website

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

quigonkick slam gang member
fans of "Elements"...

Let's hear what you guys think of this album and what it means to you. Leave no stone unturned. Personal/life experiences while listening to it, memories tied to it... did you see a show in support of it... tell us WHY you like it... the more specific the better. Please hold nothing back.

I'm working on something regarding this album and I'd like to hear from those that like/love it and why. Type out a novel, let's try to minimize the one-sentence responses. I'd like as much variety as possible.

Thank you all in advance!
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Mick Bynes
Fabulous Dude

Mick Bynes slam gang member
Elements is an incredible album. I have blasted it out of my car a few times. I remember driving near my old high school and blasting the song Green. It was really cool. I like Samba Briza a lot. I remember at my old workplace, I blasted this song. Yeah I wasn't doing that much at work and this was quite an appropriate track to blast out. Well I'm exaggerating, I kept it at a pretty decent volume. I remember blasting this album while driving on many occasions. There is the one street I drive on sometimes called Haley Court and I think that was the first time I ever blasted it out anywhere. So what else? That is about it. That's all I can think of.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
metaldick

metaldick slam gang member
The COLOR GREEN!!!!!!!!!!

This album was one of the first that showed a strictly jazz trained drummer could play Jazz style drumming over metal. Very little straight double kicks if at all and it loses nothing. If anything it gains from it. Josh was a great player and probably my favorite aspect of Elements. When I first heard it I thought, wow Flynn has really changed his style and laid back a lot....must have been listening to a little too much Miles Davis :-P When I read it was not Flynn, I thought "what"? Looked online later to see where he'd gone wondering if he had joined another band. Instead I find out he runs around in grey little shorts shaking a tomahawk at people while mouthing some kind of war chant. Was very upsetting ;)

In short Elements rocked. I do wish they'd have played an entirely different selection from the album for their reunion shows though. I wanted GREEN, Earth, & Elements. Oh well
metaldick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Okay, so I understand most of you are still trying to gather your thoughts and put them into words regarding this album. That's okay, I am patient.

In the meantime, how about any photos from the "Elements" era? Ya got 'em? Can ya post 'em? I'd really dig it! Thanks!

On a separate note, I just realized it was just over a year ago that I saw the Tampa show. It still resonates throughout me as if it was two days ago and as time goes on, that whole day and night become more and more special to me. Definetly one of the best experiences and show ever. Words are so shallow when trying to describe stuff like this.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Arctic Sun

Arctic Sun slam gang member
I got my first copy for roughly $10 at some point around the year 2000. The guy who sold it to me used to be a DJ (no idea what type of shows he orchestrated) who clearly had no idea how much the album was selling for on eBay at that point. (I actually got my copy of the original CD pressing of "Piece of Time" in a somewhat similar manner, as the guy selling it was in a bind and absolutely needed the money ASAP.)

Anyway, "Elements" was always an interisting one to spin in the car considering how many people I car-pooled with throughout high school. The combination of "Samba Briza," "Water," and the first part of "Air" (it was about a ten minute car ride to school) was usually a hit when I blasted it, at least for most of the otherwise un-metal back seat. (The kids who were totally against metal will undoubtedly never forget Kelly's sream in Air .)

But the real buzz came when I finally got a copy (albeit a burned one at that point) of Unquestionable Presence: girls were actually asking "who is that crazy drummer - is he local?" In short, Steve could've gotten some nice white high school Minnesota ass shortly before serving a lengthy prison sentence for having done so. Ahh, what could have been...

But Elements is an excellent album, especially considering the circumstances that surrounded it.
Arctic Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
Evansduality

Evansduality slam gang member
I actually heard 'water' on local radio and was like OMG new atheist! this was back in 93, and i'd known they were working on an album without steve flynn from reading metal maniacs or something at the time. So i immediately went out and had to order the cd.. no one had it in australia when it came out.. took a while, but it finally came in.. chucked it on and was startled by how it sounded, nothing like the first 2.. actually, took a few listens to get into it. I'll never forget 1993.. for me that is the year of tech. so many classics came out that year and none have in any year since.
Showed our new drummer elements and he's way into the song 'mineral' so we are covering it at an upcoming show. just worked the song out by ear.. internet tabs are so pathetically wrong hehe.
Evansduality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
JoeyFNFingers

JoeyFNFingers slam gang member
I remember being in Indianapolis around '93 '94 and was just browsing thru some CD's at a music store and ran across the album. I was all like.. WTF... NEW ATHEIST!!! When did this happen?!! I never knew there was another album in the works at all. Then again I had been away from Sarasota for a couple of years already at that point. At 1st I really didn't know what to think as I've always loved Steve's drumming. but as I listened to the album it definatly grew on me. It's in regular rotation on my media player along with Piece and Presence still.
JoeyFNFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Thünderpüngs

Thünderpüngs slam gang member
It was the first album I ever heard from Atheist, and I liked it instantly. I like Unquestionable Presence and P.O.T. better, but I still like this album since it got me into this band.
Thünderpüngs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
MaskedJackal
I <3 Coroner

MaskedJackal slam gang member
I bought this record when the three albums were reissued by Relapse a few years ago. I was on a college tour at the time, and strangely enough I'd buy Piece of Time while visiting another bunch of colleges in California-- my dad and I cruised down the highway in our rental car with "I Deny" blasting and he'd be looking at me going "What IS IT that you enjoy about this?"

But yeah, Elements. I'd only downloaded a few PoT-era tunes via P2P networks before the reissues came out and really dug the death metal stuff, but never quite understood how Atheist were "jazz metal" as I had yet to hear the other two records. So I bought this over the course of a college tour in my home state of Washington...other records picked up at the time included Mingus' Mingus Ah Um and my other favorite tech-metal record ever, Coroner's No More Color. I couldn't believe how salsa'ed out everything was, how sweet Tony's bass tone was, and the outright trippiness of Kelly's lyrics was quite awesome as well.
MaskedJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedJackal View Post
But yeah, Elements. I'd only downloaded a few PoT-era tunes via P2P networks before the reissues came out and really dug the death metal stuff, but never quite understood how Atheist were "jazz metal" as I had yet to hear the other two records. So I bought this over the course of a college tour in my home state of Washington...other records picked up at the time included Mingus' Mingus Ah Um and my other favorite tech-metal record ever, Coroner's No More Color. I couldn't believe how salsa'ed out everything was, how sweet Tony's bass tone was, and the outright trippiness of Kelly's lyrics was quite awesome as well.
Geez dude, GO ON!!! Good stuff! Be as descriptive as you'd like!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

...or not!
Old 03-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Zer0

Zer0 slam gang member
Elements is my absolute number 1. I literally knew what the songs were about when I first listened to it without looking at the song names — so descriptive the music seemed (and still does). I really like the first two albums too (thus rightfully calling Atheist my favorite band), but Elements is totally unreachable and unbeatable. It just seems to have so much inside that I was totally amazed to find out it had all been composed and recorded within just a month.

The concept, the whole "greenery" of it is also very appealing, which perfectly comes along with the musical energy.

I am so envious of all you guys who were there in time when it just came out. I managed to get one of the CDs of the original 93 press (Metal Blade) off the Ebay, and I'm very proud of it (:
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Welcome ZerO, if I haven't already said so.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
EmptyWords84

EmptyWords84 slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thünderpüngs View Post
It was the first album I ever heard from Atheist, and I liked it instantly. I like Unquestionable Presence and P.O.T. better, but I still like this album since it got me into this band.
Im the same way... First song i heard was Air... the intro guitar parts and Kellys first scream blew my fuckin mind...
Air, Green, Mineral... the greatest! Thats what pulled me in then i worked my way through U.P. straight to P.O.T.
EmptyWords84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

I'm no fashion expert, not by any stretch, but I doubt I'm the only one that thinks all that Ed Hardy crap looks like it was drawn by children. If it was, cool, VERY cool, but I'm not seeing it advertised as such. Otherwise, it's still fifth rate, entry-level garbage that has the appearance of smeared party barf.

"Cheap" is a spot on word, ijkl, as long as you're referring to anything but the price.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
staticmaker
STATICMAKER

staticmaker slam gang member
ELEMENTS COMMENT

I know a few musicians in Sarasota Florida who were around before Elements was created (One being Sean Obrien who claims he was the drummer for the project). They told me that the guitarist (Rand Burkey) wrote much of the material with a different band after leaving Atheist after U.P. but then brought it into the Elements project. Is there any truth to this and if so, is that band still around? Who were the members and have they gone on to do anything else? I have other questions too but first I need to know if in fact this music was written before with a different band.
Peace
SM
Old 09-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #17
Littlebluedunebuggy

Littlebluedunebuggy slam gang member
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I was was just wondering, on the bonus tracks (the radio broadcasts) on the Elements reissue, who is the person you can hear humming the riffs in the background? I can't really figure out who it is.

Edit: It's pretty audible during "On They Slay" at 0:55

Last edited by Littlebluedunebuggy; 09-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Littlebluedunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #18
ElementsofTime
Fuck my life

ElementsofTime slam gang member
We all know the distinctness of each album, and they all amass to their own, and one greatness. That's what benchmarks are.

--Which is why we're so excited for Jupiter

------------Better known as a man of few words.-------------

Last edited by ElementsofTime; 09-08-2010 at 05:29 AM.
ElementsofTime is offline   Reply With Quote