SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Atheist

Atheist Website

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Martinator
PhDoofus

Martinator slam gang member
Jupiter?

Yep, I felt compelled to open a new topic for this, just out of curiosity in regards to the Blabbermouthed name of the new album. Any reason behind naming it Jupiter? Call me an astrophysicist, but every time something astronomical comes into play, it piques my interest

Here's what Blubberbreath reported:

ATHEIST: New Album Title Revealed - July 11, 2010

Reactivated seminal technical metal pioneers ATHEIST have set "Jupiter" as the title of their long-awaited fourth album, tentatively due in November. The CD is being recorded at LedBelly studios in Atlanta, Georgia with engineer Matt Washburn and will be mixed by Jason Suecof (TRIVIUM, CHIMAIRA, DEVILDRIVER).

Regarding the direction of the new material, Shaefer wrote in a recent online posting, "[We] have taken great strides to make this the record we, as fans, would want to hear from ATHEIST. It's ferocious, intelligent, and dead-balls heavy as shit!

"When people hear this, they're going to say, 'It's ATHEIST!'"

"There are so many twists and turns in the average ATHEIST song, and we felt like it was very important to have enough killer material written so as to make it the most interesting record we have ever created. We wanted to make sure we took the next logical step in the evolution of our music. According to the critics out there, it's a tall — almost impossible — order. However, we feel like we have done it."

"Our late and great friend and foundational element of the ATHEIST sound, Roger Patterson, was always with us in spirit in the process of writing," added Shaefer. "In fact, that frantic, technical Patterson spirit has come shining through once more in the form of Jonathan Thompson, our newest guitar player. 'JT' is a young-spirited multi-talented player — he also plays bass for Flynn's band GNOSTIC. As long-time ATHEIST fans, JT and Chris Baker understand what ATHEIST is at its core and what the fans expect. Both have proven to be invaluable in bringing out that classic ATHEIST sound and have been instrumental the course of writing this long-awaited record."
Old 07-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
slovi-chon

slovi-chon slam gang member
Who knows what it's about yet. One thing interesting stolen from wikipedia:

Astrologically Jupiter is associated with the principles of growth, expansion, prosperity and good fortune; and a person's inner sense of justice and morality and their ideals and higher goals. Jupiter governs long distance and foreign travel, higher education, religion and the law. It is also associated with the urge for freedom and exploration, humanitarian and protecting roles, and with gambling and merrymaking or 'joviality'.
slovi-chon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Tyler Durden slam gang member
I'm just thankful they didn't call it, 'Uranus'...
Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Martinator
PhDoofus

Martinator slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
If it kicked my anus, I wouldn't care
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
SteveFlynn

SteveFlynn slam gang member
Quote:
SteveFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
SteveFlynn

We're mixing now!! It's coming along very well.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

quigonkick slam gang member
I'm betting this album will kick our asses!!!
quigonkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
SteveFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkick View Post
I'm betting this album will kick our asses!!!
Well, as the ONLY living soul outside the production folks and the band to hear it.... I hope you're right!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFlynn View Post
Well, as the ONLY living soul outside the production folks and the band to hear it.... I hope you're right!
Ya know, I wasn't gonna say anything.

So with that said, it HAS and WILL CONTINUE to kick my ass so hard I'll be tasting shit for years. Screw the naysayers and shit talkers with telephone poles. They are WRONG, DEAD ABSOLUTE VOODLE CHOKESLAM CLAMDRIFT WRONG this time!!

And as usual, sign me up for three copies. And I'm in need of another Gnostic CD. Can I make payments on those?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
nocturnus1977

nocturnus1977 slam gang member
audio excerpt, plz...
nocturnus1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnus1977 View Post
audio excerpt, plz...
Even if I had one - which in all honesty I don't - I wouldn't post it.

Sorry guys, this one is going to be worth holding your wad for. It's all about delayed gratification... and getting hit with a 20 foot wave instead of the little puppy splashes that this internet has fooled people into thinking is experiencing music.

Patience, boys. It will be worth it. Times fifty.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
Mick Bynes
Fabulous Dude

Mick Bynes slam gang member
Great title for an album! I'm looking forward to Jupiter.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Littlebluedunebuggy

Littlebluedunebuggy slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Bynes View Post
Great title for an album! I'm looking forward to Jupiter.
Same here, can't wait to see cover art as well.
Littlebluedunebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebluedunebuggy View Post
Same here, can't wait to see cover art as well.
Ditto here. Anybody know who is doing the cover?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Ditto here. Anybody know who is doing the cover?
As you've apparently already heard the album / some of the album, I'm surprised you need to ask that question. I'm sure the band will tell you if you shake their hands masonically and ask them nicely enough...
Old 07-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
As you've apparently already heard the album / some of the album, I'm surprised you need to ask that question. I'm sure the band will tell you if you shake their hands masonically and ask them nicely enough...
huh?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
huh?
http://www.season-of-mist.com/band/detail/atheist
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #18
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

CD and digipack versions will be available per that link. Besides the fooking obvious, I wonder if there will be any differences.

A 'roided out box like Cynic had for TiA would be sweet.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

At most I'd probably pick up the Digipack version, but I'm not really into shelling out abundant cash for a glorified Monopoly Box version with a collection of useless novelty tat included. It seems people have more money than sense these days. Never mind the quality of the actual music itself... look at the shiny shiny... LOOK at the SHINY SHINY...

One of my friends shelled out for that Cynic box set thing and paid almost the same amount of money to get it delivered to his door (and was then fucked over by excessive custom charges for his trouble). I have to say it was one of the most unimpressive pieces of shit I've ever seen in my life. The contents could all have been fit comfortably inside a box HALF the size of the one it arrived in. This would have vastly cut down on the shipping charges to begin with. The contents themselves just did not warrant such an elaborate fanfare. A few stickers? A daft minature booklet you need a magnifying glass to read (which contained previously well publicized information in Cynic interviews already). A poster. A USB memory stick with the Cynic name on it? A daft one size doesn't fit all t-shirt that you put in a bowl of water? Not to mention my friend also discovered that his blind faith in the Cynic brand had resulted in a serious error of judgment when it came to actually listening to the CD, making him wish he had downloaded some tracks first before throwing his money away on any version of the Traced In Air CD, never mind the glorified edition. Wow... I really regret not buying it myself now

It's all about the music for me. Sure, Eliran Kantor done a fine CD cover for Atheist's new album but it only confirms that the artist (Kantor) is talented & has skill in what he does with his own art, it in no way guarantees the quality of the music on the CD. If I judged CD's by their cover I doubt I'd have anywhere near the 2500+ CD's I have in my collection. I'll be waiting to hear some samples of the new Atheist music first before I even contemplate buying ANY version of the new CD...
Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #20
nocturnus1977

I must agree with Tyler...
the cynic box never made me dream...alltough i am a big cynic fan...
Jupiter's Cover is very great BTW...
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #21
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
At most I'd probably pick up the Digipack version, but I'm not really into shelling out abundant cash for a glorified Monopoly Box version with a collection of useless novelty tat included. It seems people have more money than sense these days. Never mind the quality of the actual music itself... look at the shiny shiny... LOOK at the SHINY SHINY...

One of my friends shelled out for that Cynic box set thing and paid almost the same amount of money to get it delivered to his door (and was then fucked over by excessive custom charges for his trouble). I have to say it was one of the most unimpressive pieces of shit I've ever seen in my life. The contents could all have been fit comfortably inside a box HALF the size of the one it arrived in. This would have vastly cut down on the shipping charges to begin with. The contents themselves just did not warrant such an elaborate fanfare. A few stickers? A daft minature booklet you need a magnifying glass to read (which contained previously well publicized information in Cynic interviews already). A poster. A USB memory stick with the Cynic name on it? A daft one size doesn't fit all t-shirt that you put in a bowl of water? Not to mention my friend also discovered that his blind faith in the Cynic brand had resulted in a serious error of judgment when it came to actually listening to the CD, making him wish he had downloaded some tracks first before throwing his money away on any version of the Traced In Air CD, never mind the glorified edition. Wow... I really regret not buying it myself now

It's all about the music for me. Sure, Eliran Kantor done a fine CD cover for Atheist's new album but it only confirms that the artist (Kantor) is talented & has skill in what he does with his own art, it in no way guarantees the quality of the music on the CD. If I judged CD's by their cover I doubt I'd have anywhere near the 2500+ CD's I have in my collection. I'll be waiting to hear some samples of the new Atheist music first before I even contemplate buying ANY version of the new CD...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
SteveFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnus1977 View Post
I must agree with Tyler...
the cynic box never made me dream...alltough i am a big cynic fan...
Jupiter's Cover is very great BTW...
Thanks!!
Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
Care to elaborate on your mirth? I can't recall any of my previous post acting as a catalyst for humor!?!? (Other than ripping the pish out my mate for being so retarded as to waste his money on a glorified lucky bag, with free Cynic CD)

I was merely elaborating that I believe the music is more important than what it's clothed in... or are you one who prefers to wield under pressure to your feminine side when it comes to music, and are more seduced by the special offer of free trinketry than the actual music on the CD?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #24
Ander

Ander beat up jewski
New excerpt:

http://searchndestroy.net/2010/09/02...%26+Destroy%29
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #25
nocturnus1977

i've listened to this exceprt with a lot of pleasure...

this part of "Second to Sun" is wonderful!!!
kelly's voice is really cool
the mix is very modern and still thrashy

if "Jupiter" sounds as intense and as powerful as this excerpt, it's going to be an instant classic for me... ATHEIST RULES!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #26
nocturnus1977

if you like wpp
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #27
mark85

mark85 slam gang member
i'm courious to hear the solos of chris baker...
i think that rand burkey were so important for the other 3 album
mark85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
quigonkick
Flynnstitutionalized

Quote:
Care to elaborate on your mirth? I can't recall any of my previous post acting as a catalyst for humor!?!? (Other than ripping the pish out my mate for being so retarded as to waste his money on a glorified lucky bag, with free Cynic CD)

I was merely elaborating that I believe the music is more important than what it's clothed in... or are you one who prefers to wield under pressure to your feminine side when it comes to music, and are more seduced by the special offer of free trinketry than the actual music on the CD?
What I meant by all that… where do I even start on this… that shit was funny! I mean really, what was the point?! That was an unprovoked, frothing-at-the-crotch diatribe fueled by assumptions, seemingly talking down to everybody as if you’re the only beacon of sense in this world.

“It’s all about the music for me.”

Really? What a groundbreaking concept! And when exactly did anyone say otherwise about themselves? Just because some of us enjoy some extra packaging every now and then does not equate to us having any less sense or you having any more. To think you yourself have never stepped above spending the bare minimum on music over the course of your journey is laughable at best. But I bet that was different because it was you…

So you don’t like Cynic. We get it. Some of us do. Get over it. There’s a saying that goes “To each his own”. Note the lack of “…unless Tyler says otherwise” at the end. The Cynic road on this board has been worn down to the Earth’s core and while I was the one to bring their name up by mentioning their box set, it was used purely as an example of – in my opinion - bitchin’ packaging. That’s perfectly fine that you don’t agree, but there’s no need to try to stick your dick in everyone’s ear that disagrees with you. I suppose since I do love both that box set and the album within I must be FALSE and have shitty taste when it comes to music…

…but then again, I also love Atheist, and… well… you’re here too, so what does that say about your tastes? In fact, I bet we share many similar tastes in music, so watch as I color you guilty by association… *scribblescribblescribble*

On top of all this, you bothered to post the number of your collection as if to cement some sort of illusionary, self-appointed authoritative position on music. That’s cool that you have so much shiny shiny in your possession, but self-righteous to think that having that somehow makes you more knowing than anyone else. An authoritative, all-knowing position I can’t help but question considering the number of times you and your friends have been burned by speculation and “knowing better” (e.g. Cynic boxes, Atheist tickets, etc.).

Other than being a lifer and putting huge amounts of cash into music over the course of that time, you’ve contributed nothing. Same with me and I have no problem admitting it. Sure, you’re most likely friends with a bunch of musicians that do contribute, but that doesn’t entitle you to a pulpit from where you can judge for everyone else what crap is or isn’t because there is no such position. There is stuff you like and stuff you do not like, and so is the case with the rest of us cro-mags; all of us here are probably above average when it comes to being passionate about music but don’t let it go to your head. I know it can be tempting sometimes.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say how cute it was with the feminine quip you said. That primary schoolyard tactic comes off as desperate to make a point. VERY disappointing considering your ability.

Don’t get me wrong man, as I’ve said before you are very animated with your words and driven about your music. THAT is beyond cool in my book and I hope you have many, many years left to keep doing that. And it’s because of that and your lifelong support of music that I just can’t understand why you have to be so butt hurt about things that don’t do it for you. I’d still buy you a brew or four should we ever meet and that is no bullshit.

</my responses on this topic>
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #29
Tyler Durden
Terrorist

Quote:
What I meant by all that… where do I even start on this… that shit was funny! I mean really, what was the point?! That was an unprovoked, frothing-at-the-crotch diatribe fueled by assumptions, seemingly talking down to everybody as if you’re the only beacon of sense in this world.

“It’s all about the music for me.”

Really? What a groundbreaking concept! And when exactly did anyone say otherwise about themselves? Just because some of us enjoy some extra packaging every now and then does not equate to us having any less sense or you having any more. To think you yourself have never stepped above spending the bare minimum on music over the course of your journey is laughable at best. But I bet that was different because it was you…

So you don’t like Cynic. We get it. Some of us do. Get over it. There’s a saying that goes “To each his own”. Note the lack of “…unless Tyler says otherwise” at the end. The Cynic road on this board has been worn down to the Earth’s core and while I was the one to bring their name up by mentioning their box set, it was used purely as an example of – in my opinion - bitchin’ packaging. That’s perfectly fine that you don’t agree, but there’s no need to try to stick your dick in everyone’s ear that disagrees with you. I suppose since I do love both that box set and the album within I must be FALSE and have shitty taste when it comes to music…

…but then again, I also love Atheist, and… well… you’re here too, so what does that say about your tastes? In fact, I bet we share many similar tastes in music, so watch as I color you guilty by association… *scribblescribblescribble*

On top of all this, you bothered to post the number of your collection as if to cement some sort of illusionary, self-appointed authoritative position on music. That’s cool that you have so much shiny shiny in your possession, but self-righteous to think that having that somehow makes you more knowing than anyone else. An authoritative, all-knowing position I can’t help but question considering the number of times you and your friends have been burned by speculation and “knowing better” (e.g. Cynic boxes, Atheist tickets, etc.).

Other than being a lifer and putting huge amounts of cash into music over the course of that time, you’ve contributed nothing. Same with me and I have no problem admitting it. Sure, you’re most likely friends with a bunch of musicians that do contribute, but that doesn’t entitle you to a pulpit from where you can judge for everyone else what crap is or isn’t because there is no such position. There is stuff you like and stuff you do not like, and so is the case with the rest of us cro-mags; all of us here are probably above average when it comes to being passionate about music but don’t let it go to your head. I know it can be tempting sometimes.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say how cute it was with the feminine quip you said. That primary schoolyard tactic comes off as desperate to make a point. VERY disappointing considering your ability.

Don’t get me wrong man, as I’ve said before you are very animated with your words and driven about your music. THAT is beyond cool in my book and I hope you have many, many years left to keep doing that. And it’s because of that and your lifelong support of music that I just can’t understand why you have to be so butt hurt about things that don’t do it for you. I’d still buy you a brew or four should we ever meet and that is no bullshit.

</my responses on this topic>

Sorry, but I can't even be bothered to begin picking holes in how much you tried to force an invalid godplayer ego on me there. I didn't realize my tongue (firmly) in cheek post or the follow up question could warrant such an inaccurate character assassination.

I'm tired with posting here. I wish you all the best quigonkick & I (genuinely) wish Atheist all the best with their new album & future plans (regardless of my opinion of the CD when it's released).

Take Care Guys.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #30
Slayerofnarcs
WAT

Slayerofnarcs slam gang member
The album cover is amazing, and the sample sounds like it has potential. We'll see about the production - it's hard to tell from a sample.

Can't wait for this album!
Slayerofnarcs is offline   Reply With Quote