SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anata

Anata Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
anata

New album update: now recording guitars and bass!

Here's the latest news on the recording of the new (yet untitled) Anata album. Below Fredrik Schälin and Henrik Drake tells a bit about the recording method, the new gear and the tracking of guitars and bass. If you missed out on Conny Pettersson's drum recording diary, just click the following link:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=396386807

Fredrik's greetings:

"Why waste money in the studio, let's buy their equipment instead!"

On the previous album, we chose to record only clean, lined guitar tracks. We did this in order to make up the final sound later, in a process called re-amping. Although the sound may have ended up a bit too mellow on that album, the recording technique is ingenious. And since we always throw the studio guys out anyway (and do all the tracking ourselves), we thought this time we should instead set up a temporary recording unit at my place. So we bought the Motu 2408 sound card we had previously used in Studiomega, set some computers and pre-amps up and started recording.

This time I play my rather new Schecter Hellraiser C-1, and it truly has got everything I desire in a guitar; a solid mahogany body, a 24 frets set-in neck with perfect access, EMG active 81/85, a stable fixed bridge with string-through-body design for extra sustain and what more… It's got a really fat sound and I even love the look of it! And as usual we use D'Addario 0.012-0.052 and tune in C sharp.

At the moment we're recording a song called 'Greed conquers all', a very demanding one that when rehearsed has left me screaming for the last two years. It's the first song that I wrote for this album and it has truly taken quite some time to master it. We're looking forward to post some excerpts from this one (or other) as soon as possible.

All in all: with Conny's precise, lightning-fast drumming and Henrik's groovy bass lines, all I can say is that this sounds nothing less than fantastic! It's already clear that this will be the most aggressive album to date in the band's history.

Stay tuned…

Recording update - Henrik:

Before we started to track the bass lines I and Fredrik have been experimenting with the equipment in order to get the highest bass recording quality; soundwise, tunewise etc. This is because I want this to be the best ANATA recording ever; regarding the bass sound, and overall, and also so that the recording will proceed as smoothly as possible. I have tried out different basses, string brands and string sizes. Finally I decided to go with a GHS 0.115-0.050 set on a Warwick bass with neck through body design (courtesy of J. Sjunnesson) in order to achieve high sustain and stable tuning on all frets, which was a slight problem when we recorded some pre-production demo tracks with my Ibanez using thinner strings.

The bass is recorded through an MXR-pedal, as on the last albums. Although it has been a bit demanding to play on a totally different bass than the one I'm used to (heavier body, different body shape and particularly broader and thicker neck), recording has so far been working out smoothly and the parts put on tape so far sound very promising and convincing. I record bass once drums and guitars are recorded on each track. It is very enjoyable to track the bass after the very impressive drums and the tight and solid guitar performance.
anata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Dexter_prog

It's great to hear news, I am really excited about the new album!

I have a question to Fredrik. You mention you used the "re-amping" technique of recording first all the guitars clean. What I want to know is, how do you know that it is going to sound the way you want it? I mean, harmonics, for example, are really different when played clean.
Dexter_prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
F0RBIDDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter_prog View Post
It's great to hear news, I am really excited about the new album!

I have a question to Fredrik. You mention you used the "re-amping" technique of recording first all the guitars clean. What I want to know is, how do you know that it is going to sound the way you want it? I mean, harmonics, for example, are really different when played clean.
Usually you use a DI box and route the DI signal to your computer and the thru signal to an amp so you can hear what you are playing while recording. Most people will usually record that signal as well with a mic, and then reamp later on if they aren't 100% satisfied with that tone...
F0RBIDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Antæos

I didn't think I was capable of being more stoked on an album, but this update proved me wrong, hahah. Man, I can't wait to hear it. Good luck with the tracking, guys, and thanks for keeping us posted.
Antæos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Israeli Fan

ANATA>ALL

FANTASTIC TO HEAR IT'S ALL WORKING OUT....

DYING FOR A RELEASE DATE :D
Israeli Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
phagist_
scatter the ember

yes, yes, yes!
phagist_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

Goddamn, I need a release date. I know it's too early but I just need one. Been busting out TCD all week.
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Misanthrope_vzla
Axel

Great News

Fredrik, Anata is the best fuckin' band ever, I have all your records, the soundtrack of my everyday life may I say...can't wait to have the new album...keep it technical, keep it brutal...keep on the great work

Cheers and best wishes from Venezuela..hope to see you guys in gig sometime...
Misanthrope_vzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
dawals

So is this ever going to be finished/released?
dawals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
sideslash
bonerologist

i don't even post here anymore

why is this still not out :|
sideslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
BeReal
OG

I just checked out Anata through a friend. I really loved the guitar work. Did this album ever come out or did it hit the dustbin? Keep it brutal, bro!
BeReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Dexter_prog

I'm starting to think that the band is no more :/
Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Ander

Yep, it's really weird that the band does no news...

News
"Anata's new album is already recorded and mixed (and probably also mastered) and has been so for at least a year, but it hasn't been released due to the band not being able to get a proper record deal. No news on the band have been known for quite some time."

Not a really a news if you follow the band, but it's the latest statement...

Last edited by Ander; 02-27-2011 at 05:42 PM..
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
Dexter_prog

I added that info. I felt that people that don't follow the forums should know what's up with the band.