SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Cattle Decapitation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Cattle Decapitation Website

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #121
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninus Crew View Post
I have the Void album. Beautiful gatefold, really sturdy cardboard. Southern Lord tends to get their vinyl releases right. I really really want Black One, Malefic's vocals on some of those songs are intense.
I just went with Monoliths & Dimensions. It has more interesting atmosphere, arrangement, and vocals, and someone online said that the jacket of the Southern Lords repress was really tight on the record.

I found both for $25 incl. sipping, and M & D usually costs a lot more than ии Void.

I haven't heard the Black One, but it was out of my price range, anyway. I don't usually spend more than $25 on a record.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #122
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

I just received the Monoliths & Dimensions record and I have to say, I'm really impressed. Southern Lord has somehow surprised me with the packaging, even though I already have their incredible pressings of The Art of Self Defense, Dopesmoker, and the Burning Witch discography. I've never felt a jacket that had those pleasing textures that this one does, or that had a dustcover like this one. The jacket somehow seems compactly designed (as opposed to the label's usually massive LP sets), which makes it feel well-made and heavier for its size than most record jackets. And it even comes with a lyrics booklet and a picture of the band on vacation in Mexico:


So if you like doom and its related genres, definitely check out Southern Lords, because their releases are very expertly made.

Last edited by DuskOfHeaven; 08-22-2013 at 10:32 PM.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #123
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

^^ they are also very expensive.

but visually pleasing
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #124
Caninus Crew
Buster Bluth
 
Caninus Crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 725
Rep Power: 11
Caninus Crew slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskOfHeaven View Post
I just went with Monoliths & Dimensions. It has more interesting atmosphere, arrangement, and vocals, and someone online said that the jacket of the Southern Lords repress was really tight on the record.

I found both for $25 incl. sipping, and M & D usually costs a lot more than ии Void.

I haven't heard the Black One, but it was out of my price range, anyway. I don't usually spend more than $25 on a record.
Looks like they're doing a Reissue of Black One.

Southern Lord Facebook:
"Southern Lord Recordings
sunn 0)))- Black One LP repress/reissue test pressings are approved! Darkness is around the bend...."
Caninus Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #125
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

o shit i definitely want to get on that
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #126
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

haven't posted anything I've received lately, i'll do a bigger post with everything once I "inventory" all of it haha.

I will post that I received this in the mail last week. haven't listened to it yet though.
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #127
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

I just did an online music shopping spree. $50 got me the following:

Erragal – Shamash (CD-R)
Amelnakru – Monomania (Cassette)
Moloch – Somewhere On the Forgotten Paths (CD-R)
Kurgal – Kurgal (CD-R)
EDASI – Integration Lair (CD-R)
Whispers of the Black Wulf – Harvest ov Wolves (Cassette)
オキシコドン – 喪 (Cassette)

So I will be eagerly awaiting my orders from Ukraine, France, and Minnesota.

Last edited by DuskOfHeaven; 09-02-2013 at 02:13 PM.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #128
butthole
Moderator
 
butthole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,309
Rep Power: 15
butthole slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Just came home to the new Gorguts LP in the mail. LIimited to 150 copies on red/yellow vinyl
butthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #129
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthole View Post
Just came home to the new Gorguts LP in the mail. LIimited to 150 copies on red/yellow vinyl
I can never tell what's going on on the cover of Obscura. It sort of looks like the demon is crossing its arms or something, but that would mean it has like 3-4 arms.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #130
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

it's a dude with a beard siting with his legs crossed and his hands resting on his knees.
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #131
Bassbait
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 0
Bassbait slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthole View Post
Just came home to the new Gorguts LP in the mail. LIimited to 150 copies on red/yellow vinyl
You got that too? My brother got it (which basically means I got it). But my awful record player speeds things up and Gorguts is not something to speed up, lol. That said I still haven't heard it, but it's already set to be the top album of 2013 for me, given that Gorguts is pretty much the best of the best and I trust them to make another masterpiece.
Bassbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #132
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsTheCoolest View Post
it's a dude with a beard siting with his legs crossed and his hands resting on his knees.
Oh, I see the face now. I always thought it was a pissed off demon for some reason. That is weird lighting.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #133
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskOfHeaven View Post
Oh, I see the face now. I always thought it was a pissed off demon for some reason. That is weird lighting.
I never knew what was on the front until I opened the gatefold and saw the dude doing the same thing and I put 2 and 2 together.
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #134
DrBusey
Registered User
 
DrBusey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 416
Rep Power: 8
DrBusey karmablade
Re: Last album you bought ?

I always thought it looked like a bat dude tbh
DrBusey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #135
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

I think I'm going to stop buying CDs and only buy vinyl and cassettes now. I don't really have a way to listen to them beyond ripping them and putting them on my phone. I really like that I have to sit down and engage my music when it's not on CD.

thoughts?
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #136
Bassbait
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 0
Bassbait slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

I have a CD player in my car and nothing else. CDs all the way for me. Also I don't like to take MP3s off the internet and somehow lose quality. So I prefer to actually buy a copy. That said if I love an album enough I'll get it on every format available.
Bassbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #137
RobertsTheCoolest
Registered User
 
RobertsTheCoolest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,762
Rep Power: 12
RobertsTheCoolest beat up jewski
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbait View Post
I have a CD player in my car and nothing else. CDs all the way for me. Also I don't like to take MP3s off the internet and somehow lose quality. So I prefer to actually buy a copy. That said if I love an album enough I'll get it on every format available.
I should have mentioned I rip everything to FLAC
RobertsTheCoolest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #138
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsTheCoolest View Post
I think I'm going to stop buying CDs and only buy vinyl and cassettes now. I don't really have a way to listen to them beyond ripping them and putting them on my phone. I really like that I have to sit down and engage my music when it's not on CD.

thoughts?
I've been listening to obscure dark ambient lately, which is a genre dominated by CD-R. Vinyl isn't an option and only a minority of them are released on cassette.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #139
ShittCuntt
Loop Panic
 
ShittCuntt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RADelaide
Posts: 378
Rep Power: 7
ShittCuntt slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?



http://deadsection.bigcartel.com/pro...-no-closure-12

I ordered the cassette version of this ... The vinyl copy looks awesome but shipping is a killer and I'm supposed to be saving for our vacation in 6 weeks.

Scott Miller and Merzbow on the same Album ... Nothing else needs to be said about this !
ShittCuntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #140
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

My first two cassettes arrived (喪 and Harvest ov Wolves) and I'm afraid of them. These things are so fragile, I already twisted the tape on one (though it was fortunately fixable).
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #141
SlayerDeath93
Hooters on Mars
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dalton, Georgia
Posts: 151
Rep Power: 9
SlayerDeath93 slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

I must be crazy or something because I literally just bought all of Devin Townsend's material ranging from SYL, to Cooked On Phonics, Hummer, Devlab, DTB and DTP material, everything.

I'm addicted to him. No pun intended. It's like he expanded my music taste to a whole new horizon.

I also managed to find a By A Thread box on Ebay in perfect condition.

This is totally going to be my faces when it all ships in:

Ships in:
Realize that I spent a paycheck for it all:
Regretting that I won't be able to get other things I desire:
Not giving a shit:

Then I disappear to listen to it all.
SlayerDeath93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #142
Caninus Crew
Buster Bluth
 
Caninus Crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 725
Rep Power: 11
Caninus Crew slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerDeath93 View Post
I must be crazy or something because I literally just bought all of Devin Townsend's material ranging from SYL, to Cooked On Phonics, Hummer, Devlab, DTB and DTP material, everything.

I'm addicted to him. No pun intended. It's like he expanded my music taste to a whole new horizon.

I also managed to find a By A Thread box on Ebay in perfect condition.

This is totally going to be my faces when it all ships in:

Ships in:
Realize that I spent a paycheck for it all:
Regretting that I won't be able to get other things I desire:
Not giving a shit:

Then I disappear to listen to it all.
A lot of his songs are really good, but some of them are way too oddball/weird for me to consider myself a real devotee.
Caninus Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #143
ShittCuntt
Loop Panic
 
ShittCuntt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RADelaide
Posts: 378
Rep Power: 7
ShittCuntt slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerDeath93 View Post
I must be crazy or something because I literally just bought all of Devin Townsend's material ranging from SYL, to Cooked On Phonics, Hummer, Devlab, DTB and DTP material, everything...
I like that Punky Brewster song - Fake Punk or whatever it is ...
Got a package from Big T.O today - A Dead Ghosts tshirt and he signed a UUM cd for me too !
Will put up a picture tomorrow morning
ShittCuntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #144
Bassbait
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 0
Bassbait slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninus Crew View Post
A lot of his songs are really good, but some of them are way too oddball/weird for me to consider myself a real devotee.

DEV-otee, heh heh.

Seriously though, Strapping Young Lad's City and Alien are amazing albums and there's nothing really "oddball" or "weird" about them. Just raw aggression. When I heard Monolith of Inhumanity I felt it bore some resemblance to Alien for the amount of aggression and chaos.

As for most recent album I bought... Colored Sands. There's really nothing that can be said about this album. All I will say is that people who rated this album a 10/10 were underselling it. Monolith of Inhumanity and Colored Sands are the two biggest surprises I've ever seen in music, and are also my two favorite albums right now. Now Gorguts and Cattle just need to tour together and find a way to play a show that I can attend.
Bassbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #145
Pyramid God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 70
Rep Power: 5
Pyramid God slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbait View Post
DEV-otee, heh heh.

Seriously though, Strapping Young Lad's City and Alien are amazing albums and there's nothing really "oddball" or "weird" about them. Just raw aggression. When I heard Monolith of Inhumanity I felt it bore some resemblance to Alien for the amount of aggression and chaos.

As for most recent album I bought... Colored Sands. There's really nothing that can be said about this album. All I will say is that people who rated this album a 10/10 were underselling it. Monolith of Inhumanity and Colored Sands are the two biggest surprises I've ever seen in music, and are also my two favorite albums right now. Now Gorguts and Cattle just need to tour together and find a way to play a show that I can attend.
Lol, Colored Sands is terrible. Only the first four songs on the album are even worthy of being considered "good". The rest is empty, pseudo-intellectual shit that tries to pass itself off as metal. Plus one of the songs isn't even mixed/mastered the same as the rest of the album.

Complete travesty of an album...Luc Lemay was just trying to cash in on the hordes of brainless idiots who worship him as some sort of metal god.

Last edited by Pyramid God; 09-07-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Pyramid God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #146
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerDeath93 View Post
I must be crazy or something because I literally just bought all of Devin Townsend's material ranging from SYL, to Cooked On Phonics, Hummer, Devlab, DTB and DTP material, everything.

I'm addicted to him. No pun intended. It's like he expanded my music taste to a whole new horizon.

I also managed to find a By A Thread box on Ebay in perfect condition.

This is totally going to be my faces when it all ships in:

Ships in:
Realize that I spent a paycheck for it all:
Regretting that I won't be able to get other things I desire:
Not giving a shit:

Then I disappear to listen to it all.
Holy shit, Devy's my favorite musician ever. I didn't know so many here are fans.

I don't have a lot of money to get all the fancy stuff by him. I would love to have the Contain Us box set and a vinyl copy of Terria, since that was my favorite album for a while.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #147
DuskOfHeaven
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 38
Rep Power: 0
DuskOfHeaven slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbait View Post
DEV-otee, heh heh.

Seriously though, Strapping Young Lad's City and Alien are amazing albums and there's nothing really "oddball" or "weird" about them. Just raw aggression. When I heard Monolith of Inhumanity I felt it bore some resemblance to Alien for the amount of aggression and chaos.
I think he was referring to Deconstruction, Ziltoid, Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing, Synchestra, etc. The later SYL stuff is a lot more normal than those albums.
DuskOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #148
Caninus Crew
Buster Bluth
 
Caninus Crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 725
Rep Power: 11
Caninus Crew slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskOfHeaven View Post
I think he was referring to Deconstruction, Ziltoid, Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing, Synchestra, etc. The later SYL stuff is a lot more normal than those albums.
Yeah, for the most part I like his SYL stuff. There's a couple songs off the Synchestra album by the Devin Townsend Project, but the weird ones put me off a bit too much. Man, I fucking hated that recent song, Lucky Animals or whatever. Also he's not a great singer live.
Caninus Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #149
ShittCuntt
Loop Panic
 
ShittCuntt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: RADelaide
Posts: 378
Rep Power: 7
ShittCuntt slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

ShittCuntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #150
Bassbait
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 46
Rep Power: 0
Bassbait slam gang member
Re: Last album you bought ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninus Crew View Post
Yeah, for the most part I like his SYL stuff. There's a couple songs off the Synchestra album by the Devin Townsend Project, but the weird ones put me off a bit too much. Man, I fucking hated that recent song, Lucky Animals or whatever. Also he's not a great singer live.
I think, like with many singers, it's a result of variance in performance. You don't get great performances every night and there's probably plenty examples of him being spot on.

And yea, his good stuff that isn't SYL is Punky Bruster (pop punk parody album), Ziltoid, and Deconstruction. But the rest of it ranges from boring to somewhat good. Infinity has some good tracks. I especially like "Ants"... kind of a silly song but has some really interesting guitar work. And Gene Hoglan can do no wrong in my eyes.
Bassbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SMNnews.com: 2002 -