SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Periphery

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
FMG

An idea for Chris Barretto and the Periphery guys

FIRST…. A short intro:
The mainstream success of bands such as Slipknot and Linkin Park introduced the otherwise unaware public into heavy music, creating a huge rise in the popularity of the metal genre, and thus an immense interest in the more aggressive singing styles. So much so, that vocal tuition DVD’s and books specialized in ‘metal’ style screaming and singing have now filled a previously trivial market (Melissa Cross’ Zen of Screaming DVD). Hundreds of (rather shitty) ‘how to scream’ tutorials now flood Youtube, all the whilst, more and more people are wanting advice on a singing style largely considered too damaging to engage in.

SO!!!!
Would your new singer Chris, be interested in recording a video of him singing/ screaming along to a periphery song, then finish it with a short video detailing when/ how he got into aggressive vocal styles, how he went about beginning and developing this technique, and any tips/ ideas that he would consider useful to the aspiring screamer (minus the obvious “support from the diaphragm, drink lots of water, don’t over-exert your chords” type stuff).

HOW WOULD THIS BENEFIT PERIPHERY?!?
• As I said before… literally TONS of people flood the net, wanting to know this sort of shit. Producing a video like this could potentially pull in many more listeners.
• Many people are still unfamiliar with Chris’ capabilities as a vocalist, and still whine like a bitch about Casey leaving, producing a video such as this would introduce and familiarize fans with your new vocalist.
• Chris is probably one of the best vocalists I have ever heard, and I know many people would like to hear his ‘voice outside of studio’
• I would imagine that producing this would not require a huge amount of time. Chris sings/ screams to a song, talks a bit… badda bing badda boom UPLOAD ONT TUBE
• There are lots of tutorials on Youtube, however none are by experienced, professional vocalists.

So anyway, I realize this idea will be largely ignored… but what the hay, if you don’t ask, you don’t get. Keep up the good work guys, something tells me you are going to be very successful in the near future!
FMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
pwnnoob

lol wut?
pwnnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Jadefox02

He really jsut uses the "Zen of Screaming" method with Melissa Cross, I thought? I had a chat with him about it a while back. She works with a lot of metal screamers.
Jadefox02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Wildor

I dont know but chris was a really good singer, this new guy is not really that great, worst periphery singer ever in my opinion.
Wildor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
sans cosm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildor View Post
I dont know but chris was a really good singer, this new guy is not really that great, worst periphery singer ever in my opinion.
yea i definitely like chris better, especially after hearing the record.
sans cosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
Wildor

yes i must agree chris does sound much better than little baby spencer.
its like i really dont want to buy the album, i so would have if chris was still on it. but no not anymore.whatever misha is still talented though.

you should all check out i,goliath they have everything to do with periphery.
youll see what i mean
Wildor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
tayloracantrell

subtle differences between

I do prefer Chris' voice, but I have to say, after listening to the album all the way through about 10 times, I've seriously grown to love Spencer's voice and I think that the band went the right way by getting him into the band. They are both phenomenal vocalists who are good in their own right, but any debate between the quality of the two is mostly hearsay.
tayloracantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
VargII

New vocalist is horrible. Dude was wearing eye-liner last night- possibly to add insult to injury. lulz were had by many at his expense.
VargII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Jay_Bowerman

Rep Power: 0 Jay_Bowerman is an unknown quantity at this point
...what?
Jay_Bowerman is offline   Reply With Quote