bulb
Resident Misha

Everything you need to know about Periphery/Bulb

Aright guys, ask away!!
bulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
JakePeriphery
Djent Reznor

How do I remove myself from your mailing list?
JakePeriphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
seijuromitsurugi

hahahahahahaha

guitar tone. do it.
seijuromitsurugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #4
thumperjack

Lightbulb

hahahaha finally got tired of em.
k.
scenario:
1. PODxt plugged into computer with USB
2. gearbox software is open and am controlling PODxt and patches with GUI
3. recording software open and recording (Ableton live 6) using PODxt as audio IN/OUT
4. NO LATENCY!!! YAY!
question: Is the PODxt still doing the guitar sound processing here, or is it the computer doing the guitar sound processing? (is gearbox doing the work)

Reason i ask is that im wondering if the Toneport with have the same (NONE) latency.

Like...
[PODxt===>gearbox==>computer] has no latency at all, so im wondering if
[Toneport==>gearbox==>computer] with have no latency either.

thanks dude, sorry if your the wrong person to ask, but i figured you would probably know.
thumperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #5
bulb
Resident Misha

from that scenario it looks like the guitar IS doing the processing, you have a soundcard that you are plugging your podxt into right?
if thats the case then thats how i plug mine in as well, direct audio outs so there is no latency, and then using the usb only to control/edit patches from the computer
Old 06-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
thumperjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
from that scenario it looks like the guitar IS doing the processing, you have a soundcard that you are plugging your podxt into right?
if thats the case then thats how i plug mine in as well, direct audio outs so there is no latency, and then using the usb only to control/edit patches from the computer
soooooo i guess toneport would introduce latency. isn't POD wunderbar!!?!?!!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
bulb
Resident Misha

well it depends, if you were usin the toneports audio outs into your interface then no, but if you were usin it as a soundcard itself (just usb) then yes, same would ring true if you used your podxt as a soundcard.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
eviljakeperiphery

how much is line 6 paying you?

Last edited by bulb; 06-07-2007 at 03:09 PM..
eviljakeperiphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
ruonitb

puh, I got a question regarding toneport+pod xt.

you own both, so can you tell me the quality-differences?
I mean...both (pod xt and toneport) are using the gearbox software, but can I get the same sound with my toneport as with the pod xt?
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
bulb
Resident Misha

What is "Djent" anyways? Find out here!

Ok so i have been getting this one almost daily lately so i have decided to put it here as best as i can!

Djent: The onomatopoeia of a heavily palm muted distorted guitar chord which is usually played as but not limited to a 4 string double octave powerchord, and as a result sounds much more metallic and sonically present than a "chug" "chugga" or "djun" per se, and which is basically how Periphery would describe its palm muted guitar sound.

(for a good example of "djent" in action, listen to the first riff in "insomnia")

Now remember kids, dont fuck around with Strega Nonna, or that bitch will cover your town with pasta and then proceed to spaghetti your ass to death!

love,

-bulb
Old 06-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #11
bulb
Resident Misha

yes you can technically, the toneport doesnt have as many models when you buy it but you can add on model packs. i didnt do that since i use it only on vocals (using the vocal preamp models which the podxt does not have)
i use the podxt for guitars since i have the 3 model packs for it.
but if you got model packs for either the patches "should" sound the same, never a/b'd them myself tho...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljakeperiphery View Post
how much is line 6 paying you?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
ruonitb

ah thanks...so, it would be stupid to buy the pod xt+the model packs?

cheaper to just purchase the model packs for the toneport now.

however, canīt find any information about the sound differences (if there are) between the toneport+all models and the pod xt+all models.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #14
thumperjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
ah thanks...so, it would be stupid to buy the pod xt+the model packs?

cheaper to just purchase the model packs for the toneport now.

however, canīt find any information about the sound differences (if there are) between the toneport+all models and the pod xt+all models.
THATS WHAT IM SAYIN!!! and bulb, you said that i should get latency if i use my POD as a soundcard...I got it plugged in throught USB and im using it as my sound card, and theres no latency at all! that why im trying to figure out, theoreticly if the toneport can do exactly what the pod does, but has to be hooked to a comptuer, than a tone port with all the model packs is a better way to go than the POD, cause you don't have all the vocal shit and the mic inputs with the POD, and the pod's only selling point is that you don't have to be plugged into a computer...you can take it wherever.

NAH MEEAN?!!?

BUT!!!!

if, when the POD is plugged to comptuer via USB, it is still using it's internal circuits and shit to produce the guitar tone, and NOT the gearbox software's brain, than the tone port WOULD introduce latency as it would have to take on the task of making the gearbox software produce the guitar tone as well as shit out sound from your DAW. DOES THIS EVEN FUCKING MAKE SENCE?!?!?! im having trouble wording my issue. like the democrats just fucking KNOW that bush is a pos, but they just cannnnnnnnt put their finger on it...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
ruonitb

I asked on the line6 forum and they told me that the toneport is the same as the pod xt if you upgrade it with the powerpack+model packs.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #16
sliggy

Alright bro, first off I listen to your shit all the time. My mp3 player is loaded with your songs and you're the lone reason I'm buying a 7-string tomorrow.

Anyway, having gotten that out of the way, here is a list of my recording equip and software:

1) Guitars.
2) PodXT.
3) Tiny Mixing Desk.
4) Acid Pro 5.0 and Audacity.
5) Dodgy drum machine, but it does the job.
6) Guitar amps.

I've tried a lot of combinations and EQs, I understand how to run my PodXT, and I know a good deal about EQ and Gain and how to fix a sound if it's too muddy or whatever.

Anyways, the most basic question is: if you had this equip how would you run it? I know that the idea and the learning is in trial and error and that you can't really answer because you don't know exactly what I'm running, but I'm just wondering if as an experienced recorder you could point me in the right direction.

The problem I have is a severe lack of oomph.. when I'm listening to songs on Winamp I can turn them up really loud and the signal doesn't "crack" or "go red" (I forget the official term for this.. spike?)

However, my guitar (when recording) starts spiking long before it reaches even half of the same volume. What am I pushing too hard? How do I get a good, fat, and loud signal and get it clear too? If you can't help me on account of unspecific information or whatever that's totally cool, I'm just asking in case you have a miracle cure or just some advice or whatever. Thanks man.
sliggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
thumperjack

1. audio is like water, or any other energy, so it flows in a set path, and whatever shit it hits along the way effects it's flow. ("signal path")

2. there are filters and there are valves, the basic shit that will effect the flow of sound. filters=eq, effects etc...valves=gain, volume

what you need to do is start out at the ends of your signal path and work your way in. i usually work from the end at my speakers. like this for example.

think in your head (visualize) what your signal is doing and where it's going from your guitar to where you want to drop off the 1's and 0's.

think about what valves are hitting your signal that might be making it fuck up before it comes out your speakers. if your signal is clipping without being too loud, turn up the last valves before your speakers (actual speaker volume, DAW mains, or POD mains if your using it as ur audiointerface) and turn down the valves in the middle area of your signal path...like channel volume on your POD, the individual track level, and if you're using Gearbox there is a knob with a little button above it, the knob is on the right side in the middle of the GUI that controls how much water flows out of the POD into your DAW. if you have too much flow it will clip really easily in your DAW.

BAM. levels 101.

other shit is considered too, but if this doesn't work, you should buy a book.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
majesty

EQing bass

Can I get a general idea of how you EQ your bass tracks?

I've been cutting from about 125Hz to 400Hz so it doesn't clash with the rhythm guitars, but it seems like I lose the actual character of the bass and most of what I have left is really low rumbles.

I can boost around 1k-2k which helps a little but it still feels like I'm missing something cause the bass and guitars don't mesh together nearly as well as yours do.
majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #19
bulb
Resident Misha

You know its really a matter of listening and not relying just on numbers, which is why i dont know the settings (apart from the fact that they are different in each mix).

Although theoretically certain settings should sound good, they rarely work out well because everything from what kind of tone you are going for to what kind of riff you are playing affects the way things sit in the mix.

So what i would say, is dont follow the things you are "supposed" to do too closely, but use them as guidelines and see what sounds best.
Now as far as guidelines go, you definitely dont want to cut 125 to 400 from the bass, cuz thats where a lot of the bass sits, your guitar is what should have less activity in that range. Also try to experiment with different guitar and bass tones that sound good together, because a guitar and bass may sit perfectly with each other in the mix on paper, but actually sound like ass together, so half of it is just finding sounds that complement each other well.
And that can really only be done through experimentation!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #20
majesty

Yeah I figured its one of those things that varies with every mix. And for some reason I always thought you're 'supposed' to cut some of those low-mids on the bass.
A few weeks ago I found myself a used RG7421xl and my x2n will be arriving in the next 24 hours, so that will give me a reason to get my damn bass tracks mixed right.

One day though i'll have a wall of sound with lots of djent on top!!! (i hope)
majesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:03 PM   #21
TheFranMan
Fetus Eater

Thank you for making this thread. I was wondering what in the hell you meant by djent.
TheFranMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #22
puscifer

midi

Hey there Periph' peeps :]

I can't figure out midi - cuz i'm thick. Can ya shed some light on what you're doing with superior dfh?
You're using nuendo as a host and just oxygen to trigger it? I dont have a well developed notion about signatures - and that might help :/ - so what did ya do to get started and have such awesome drum tracks - besides applying yourself and studyin a bit?!

Btw, have ya tried hardcorebass? I'm thinking of using it instead of 'emulating' it on guitar.
puscifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #23
pustraks

Bulb, what kind of DAW software do you use?
pustraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #24
bulb
Resident Misha

i use nuendo 3 as my daw.

puscifier: i just have dfhs open and set a midi track to output to it, then i program in the hits with the mouse.
I guess the fact that i play the drums helps with my ability to program but its definitely not a prerequisite.
Just experiment and think of what is physically possible to do with 2 hands and 2 feet, and you will get the hang of it.

never heard of hardcorebass, but thats cuz i just record with a real bass instead haha.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #25
G-thang

hey micha, wassup?

I was wondering what kind of plugins or final mixsettings you were using to get that "kick-in-the-nuts" sound?
and another question for you are anyone else who's reading this: is DFH2 the same as the superior edition?
G-thang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
bulb
Resident Misha

just an eq and a very slight compressor to keep everything together, the settings are secret sauce of course, but ill tell ya, in this case less is definitely more, go easy on the eq and compressor, and try to get the kick in the nuts sound from the mix and not the master track.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #27
Radical25
Vampyre

How many guitar tracks do you generally layer to get that thick sound? Do you write a whole song, then record it, or start out with some ideas and let the recording process sort out the fine stuff? Do you track the guitar against the full drum track or against a click?

What kind of mic does Jake use? What effects, if any, do you use on the vocals? Does Jake track the whole song at once or does he do it in chunks, and more importantly does he dub over the vocals at all?
Radical25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #28
kirkpetrucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
just an eq and a very slight compressor to keep everything together, the settings are secret sauce of course, but ill tell ya, in this case less is definitely more, go easy on the eq and compressor, and try to get the kick in the nuts sound from the mix and not the master track.
I don't see how you get your recording quality with that small amount of stuff haha. I guess I need to make my actual mix better. I use C4, L2, Izotope ozone, then Q10 in that order (on the master track), and I still can't get as good sound mixes as you. I think my mixes sound good...but, they are missing something to make them sound really polished like yours. I guess I just need to experiment with the settings more. Here's one of my latest songs/mixes. If you have the time could you tell me what you think, and if it sounds like I'm doing anything wrong?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5483879
kirkpetrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 AM   #29
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical25 View Post
How many guitar tracks do you generally layer to get that thick sound? Do you write a whole song, then record it, or start out with some ideas and let the recording process sort out the fine stuff? Do you track the guitar against the full drum track or against a click?

What kind of mic does Jake use? What effects, if any, do you use on the vocals? Does Jake track the whole song at once or does he do it in chunks, and more importantly does he dub over the vocals at all?
i dont layer the same guitar tracks, i just double track, one left and one right. never been a fan of layering unless its different guitar parts, that i tend to go crazy with hehe.
Usually i start out with a riff, record it to a click and then ideas usually keep coming till either i run out of time, or till i run out of ideas!
then i put drums, bass, lead lines and layers etc.

I use an at4033 mic for jake, its good for the money, and i dont have the money for a crazy good mic, so in its range i liked it the best. The vocals are usually recorded bit by bit, its quite a process. As for effects, just eq and compression and sometimes some very light delay to mimick reverb or else just reverb.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #30
bulb
Resident Misha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkpetrucci View Post
I don't see how you get your recording quality with that small amount of stuff haha. I guess I need to make my actual mix better. I use C4, L2, Izotope ozone, then Q10 in that order (on the master track), and I still can't get as good sound mixes as you. I think my mixes sound good...but, they are missing something to make them sound really polished like yours. I guess I just need to experiment with the settings more. Here's one of my latest songs/mixes. If you have the time could you tell me what you think, and if it sounds like I'm doing anything wrong?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5483879
sounds good dude, the one thing is i think you are makin the same mistake i used to make (one that took me a while to work out of), which is relying on your master track to make things sound good.
Seriously take all that off, get your mix sounding awesome with nothing at all on the master track, and then you can add some light comp and eq to bring it all together, but seriously less is more in this case.