SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > The Dillinger Escape Plan

The Dillinger Escape Plan Website

Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Helios Strain

Helios Strain slam gang member
Don't hurt me...

Ok, so here goes. Option Paralysis vs. Miss Machine. Vs. Calculating Infinity. And the ep's as well. Now im going to run away as i'm going to be heavily criticized for doing this.
Helios Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
stevegolf

stevegolf slam gang member
Still haven't heard OP. Damn boxed set. I'm still holding out!
stevegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
HairyKrishna

HairyKrishna slam gang member
This is like asking me to choose which sibling is my favorite.

So its easy: Miss Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Weinman View Post
Got to love all them different titties
HairyKrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Kevout

Kevout slam gang member
Fuck Ire Works that album was terrible
Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
niat

niat slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevout View Post
Fuck Ire Works that album was terrible
No, it fucking wasn't.
niat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
SLEEP

SLEEP slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by niat View Post
No, it fucking wasn't.
Agreed.
SLEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Kevout

Kevout slam gang member
You guys are hopeless
Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
stark17
GY till I Die

stark17 slam gang member
Plagiarism EP

/thread
Old 03-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
ScottWalkersFist
Banned

ScottWalkersFist slam gang member
I TH1NK THAT THERE BEZT S0NG IZ BLACKBUBBL3 GUM SO IM P1CKING THAT CD AZ MY FAV0RITE
ScottWalkersFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #10
GravesOfTheFathers

Miss Machine. They really aren't going to top it. Not because the material they're putting out now is inferior or anything, but just because as far as my personal tastes go, it is near-perfect, and nothing they've done since has come remotely close, although it's all been pretty great. I mean... you cannot beat Panasonic Youth alone, or The Perfect Design, or Sunshine. Those are some of the best songs I've ever heard.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
okuratho

okuratho slam gang member
I have to agree. As far as single songs go, MISS MACHINE is their best.

Song writing is ace. I mean, "Panasonic Youth", "Sunshine the Werewolf", "Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants", "Highway Robbery", "Baby's First Coffin", ... especially the first 3 are world class top notch. Not being reached afterwards.

Though I have to say, MISS MACHINE as a whole doesn't work as smoothly as an album as IRE WORKS, since it's so pieced together (too much aggression to take in at once with almost no pauses in between songs). Whereas IRE WORKS flows super nicely.

That being said, the songs on IRE WORKS are almost as great as the ones on MM, but just almost. "Fix Your Face", "Lurch", "Black Bubblegum" (ok that one is superior to "Unretrofied"), "Milk Lizard", "Dead as History", "Horse Hunter" (although I also find myself bored till it gets to the 'down, let's lay down...' part), "Mouth of Ghosts". The rest is kind of...well some are just amazing samples and interludes, others just like "Nong Eye Gong", "82588", "Party Smasher" are too similar to me. Nothing new, no particular exciting song structure.

OPTION PARALYSIS, starts of really good, but then...well...don't like the soft part in "Farewell, Mona Lisa", the lyrics seem...bad...just...meh...too much pathos maybe. It actually kind of ruins the song for me. Also I think it goes on for too long.

"Good Neighbor" is my favorite song on the new record. Plain and simply awesome.

"Gold Teeth on a Bum", nice intro, but then, well kind of unmotivated chorus, kind of bad in the same way as the first song. Not really a big win for me.

"Crystal Morning" good Dillinger style song, but not super special.

"Endless Endings" Dillinger routine again, not that inspired, but still pretty good.

"Widower", again good song, but not as great as people will try to tell you.
Also the ending, just why? Not every DEP song needs the same aggressive parts.

"Room Full of Eyes" meh again. Too midtempo.

"Chinese Whispers" got a nice verse ('for the execution...') in the beginning. Sure it's no SFtSG or ML, but pretty decent. Lacks focus/direction at times. That 'every second is passing by so fast...' hook is horrendous though.

"I Wouldn't If You Didn't" pretty fast and crazy, still not 100% convincing.
Piano part just seems randomly thrown in.

"Parasitic Twins" seems like a mature song, until that 'although I miss you...' part kicks in. Pretty good for most of the song, chorus not so much.

Overall, its an OK record, I got too high expectations upfront I have to say.
I hate to admit it - but I actually agree - this is their worst effort in terms of songwriting, both with the hard songs and the catchier songs. A lot of times, I keep wandering, "What was Greg thinking?". There are some pretty lousy parts, with lyrics sometimes unbearable and his way of singing these parts actually adds down to it. Sure, some parts are more mature, but most of the times, the songs don't go anywhere new or exciting places IMHO.

Tough I have been one of his biggest fans in the past, creatively I think, Greg took a huge timeout, as well as songwriter Ben.
Maybe it's because Greg is singing about loving his girl than opposed to hating his ex girls on the previous albums, maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

I totally disagree, that this album makes people more uncomfortable, that it would be darker, edgier, more metal, whatever. I just don't see it at all.

At times I think, all they wanna do is, write a modern version of Nineties Alternative Rock, which would be fine with me, but if you wanna do it, do it consequently till the end and leave out the Dillingeresque parts and call it something else.

So yeah, you probably figured it out by now,

I AM DISAPPOINT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE September 2010:

I have drastically changed my opinion and am confused why I wrote this in the first place. Album's cool. Yo.

Last edited by okuratho; 09-20-2010 at 02:06 AM.
okuratho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
Eternal Recurrence

Eternal Recurrence beat up john dwyer
Calculating Infinity > Miss Machine > Irony Is A Dead Scene > Option Paralysis >>>> Ire Works

IW had some good songs, but most of it fucking sucked imo.
Eternal Recurrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
ConfusionBay
۝ ۝ ۝ ۝ ۝

ConfusionBay slam gang member
Miss Machine > Option Paralysis > Ire Works > Calculating > Irony.

I like good dogs but really other than that think Irony is pretty bad, not a big Patton fan and while Calculating got some of my favorite live tracks it's not a very fantastic album.

Last edited by ConfusionBay; 04-01-2010 at 11:22 AM.
ConfusionBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
stark17
GY till I Die

stark17 slam gang member
Confusion, you put IW and OP above CI? I'm going to be a keyboard warrior here.

You're wrong, and I train BJJ.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Eternal Recurrence

Eternal Recurrence beat up john dwyer
Seriously, CI is absolutely flawless in every way.
Eternal Recurrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #16
boni

boni slam gang member
I think the last time we interviewed Greg, Ire Works had just come out, there was still some trepidation maybe on some of the not mathcore-ish material. Did you feel more at ease this time with a song like, for example, “Widower?”

GP: Yeah, because it’s honest. You have to be honest with yourself. It’s much easier to write a song like “Widower,” and it takes much more balls, but it’s easier because you’re not causing dissonance with yourself. It’s easier to write a song that you want to write naturally, rather than try to force yourself to be a caricature of what you were ten years ago, to make it seem like a theater production. We can only write ten songs that sound like Calculating Infinity even though we don’t want to write ten songs that sound like Calculating Infinity - but that is what takes effort, and that’s what is going to be shitty in the long-run, because it’s not honest as an artist. You’re going to get sick of playing [that material] on the road because it’s not who you are in your life at this moment. It’s false, and to us, that is something we’ve never done. We’ve never once done something in this band for somebody else. The second you start doing that, it’s not your band anymore. For us, a song like “Widower” is as much a Dillinger Escape Plan song as “Panasonic Youth,” because we didn’t second guess ourselves and did exactly what we wanted to do. Whether or not someone else likes it is not really our problem.

LW: From the fan perspective, or from our perspective of the fan perspective, we’ve already put out “Unretrofied,”" Black Bubblegum,” “Milk Lizard.” If we’re really throwing you curveballs at this point, you haven’t been paying attention. For us, it’s that much easier to release these songs now,because we feel that they’re more mature and better crafted. We’re better songwriters. We’re better at writing those songs now, too.

GP: People become identified with a time and place in their lives more than anything. They want you to keep acting the same way that you were ten years ago. You’re a different person.

LW: It doesn’t change. We’re still getting the same sort of reviews. [Our latest album is] always going to be compared to Calculating. Obviously they’re going to compare it to previous releases. Calculating still seems to be the zenith for most people. I feel with this record, more than any other one, I’ve heard “Wow, they’re returning to something,” or “This to me is what I like about Dillinger.” From peers that I trust who would give me the honest skinny, that’s the impression that I’m getting. It’s kind of satisfying more of what the old fan is looking for and simultaneously delivering what we started to showcase on Ire Works. Hopefully it makes everyone a little happier than they were previously. But it’s not about them in the first place.

GP: You have to be what you are in the moment. The thing about bands is, the first record is the one that they didn’t have any preconceived notion of. There was nothing looming over them. There was no specter of anything they did in the past. A lot of times bands do their best stuff first, because that’s when they don’t give a shit. The second you do anything that receives any type of notice, and you realize that that’s behind you, it’s very easy to get in that situation where if the camera is in the room, people act differently. No matter how natural you feel, the camera is still there and it’s making you act differently. The biggest challenge is to not pay attention to the past. Every record is a new record. There’s no such thing as a comparison to your old record because, like I said, it’s not the same band. It’s the same as when you go to a roulette table – just because you see five reds in the row, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the next one is going to be black. The odds are the same every single time. The record is its own record. It’s not a competition. Music is not a sport. This record is Option Paralysis. It’s three years after Ire Works. That was a different record and a different time. It’s not meant to beat that record, or to be a better version of Ire Works.

LW: It’s not a sequel.

GP: It’s its own version of its own record, and it doesn’t matter if sounds completely different or not.
boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #17
boni

boni slam gang member
yeah I think 99% of the people who posted here think music is like a sport, so these people pretty much just got their asses kicked out by what Greg and Liam tried to say over there^

I mean, c'mon, complaning about randomness in DEP record and then claiming it like there's some kind of objective scientific definition of what music structure should be. if you don't like, its because you don't feel it. music is subjective, its all relative and the only critique you can make about art, specially music with lyrics, is the moral content (moral is approximately objective) .so i think morally speaking, DEP has always been genuine in their artistic effort (never sold old). concept albums like miss machine and option paralysis are amazing in terms of lyrics.

so yeah TL, DR; haters gonna hate lovers gonna love.

Last edited by boni; 04-04-2010 at 03:06 AM.
boni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
Yossarian
t(-_-t)

Yossarian slam gang member
mm>op>ci>iw

ire works didn't gel as well as others in my opinion. seemed like a compilation not an album. miss machine is a brilliant album.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
qwerty

qwerty slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by okuratho View Post

I totally disagree, that this album makes people more uncomfortable, that it would be darker, edgier, more metal, whatever. I just don't see it at all.

I respect you, but 90% of what you said of OP, i feel the exact opposite. Especially on this. I wouldn't normally mind. But i feel it somehow special to read the exact opposite on parts you pick. I just wanted to point it out, and i don't think it's my fav album of them.

And you can like or dislike, but i don't think we can argue about this; it's their most anxious, nervous, bleak and claustrophobic album.

Last edited by qwerty; 04-05-2010 at 12:50 AM.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #20
teramelos

teramelos slam gang member
my order is fucked up, i guess i'm a weirdo

1) CI
2) IW
3) MM
4) OP

IW and MM might as well be tied though. Yo, you guys seriously like songs like panasonic youth on MM but don't like songs like nong gong eye and party smasher on IW?
teramelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #21
ferociousFETUS

ferociousFETUS slam gang member
Calculating Infinity
Option Paralysis
Miss Machine
Irony is a Dead Scene
Ire Works
Under the Running Board
Self Titled

I didn't like Plagerism at all so not including it =p
ferociousFETUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #22
Helios Strain

Helios Strain slam gang member
Calculating Infinity
Option Paralysis
Miss Machine
Under the Running Board
Ire Works
Irony

Personally, I think Greg's vocals on Option Paralysis are his best, but his lyrics are the worst. Miss Machine was his debut and he seemed as if he had a hairball in his throat most of the time. Irony had its moments. Ire Works was too sporadic and varied.
Helios Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
EarlyGrave

EarlyGrave slam gang member
Miss Machine > Calculating Infinity > Option Paralysis > Ire Works
EarlyGrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #24
kimbie

kimbie slam gang member
WHAT IS LOVE

BABY DON'T HURT ME

DON'T HURT ME

NO MO'

/thread
HUMBLE PIE :(
kimbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
DrDebbieBobDebbkite

DrDebbieBobDebbkite slam gang member
CI > OP > MM > IW

Miss Machine was a little goofy sounding to me and easy to figure out, very straightforward
Ire Works had some of the worst shit they've ever done, Bubblegum and even Milk Lizard are throwaways for me, "It feels like neverending" my GOD just go join Chiodos or something

Last edited by DrDebbieBobDebbkite; 04-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.
DrDebbieBobDebbkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #26
M2D2
Shinji Ikari

M2D2 slam gang member
Ire Works > Everything else >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CI
M2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
DrDebbieBobDebbkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D2 View Post
Ire Works > Everything else >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CI
YOURE MADE FOR FALLING AFLAME
REGRET IS PART OF YOUR NAME
ITS SOMETHING YOU COULDNT TELL
ITS WHAT YOU WANTED TO FEEL
Old 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #28
DrDebbieBobDebbkite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boni View Post
complaning about randomness in DEP record and then claiming it like there's some kind of objective scientific definition of what music structure should be. if you don't like, its because you don't feel it. music is subjective, its all relative and the only critique you can make about art, specially music with lyrics, is the moral content (moral is approximately objective) .
-Morality is not objective
-If something is subjective it doesn't mean you can't talk about its merits and flaws
-Art is not holy just because it is personal

Just two more quick observations

-the band always shits on Calculating Infinity ("we can't write songs like that," "that's not us anymore," blah) for some reason, if they want to be an alternative band they should just go ahead and do it already

@ okurantho:

I agree on a few things

-end of Horse Hunter is boring
-Gold Teeth chorus is really boring
-Greg's lyrics are bad but that is par for the course

But on other things I think you are dead wrong:

-Black Bubblegum is not i.m.o. superior to Unretrofied
-Sleeping Giants is not i.m.o. superior to Chinese Whispers
-Crystal Morning and Endless Endings are very special and inspired
-What are "people" trying to "tell me" about Widower
-You're complaining about Room Full of Eyes as midtempo but you're praising Black fucking Bubblegum?
-piano part in IWIYD is the not random at all, the perfect thing at that moment in the song, although when Greg starts singing I kind of wonder if I am listening to Dashboard Confessional
-you know what's random is the chorus of Milk Lizard which gives some kind of emo flavor I guess you love to some kind of blues rock bullshit
-the songwriting is much more matured, how can you say they "took a break." There is theme and variation here, not just loud songs in 5/4 like on MM or poorly mashed up snippets and sloppy samples like IW
-this album is much more about a "breakup" situation for Greg, what part of this album does he talk about "loving his girl"?

I'm not disappointed by this album at all but I didn't have very high expectations so maybe that's why.

Last edited by DrDebbieBobDebbkite; 04-12-2010 at 02:26 PM.
DrDebbieBobDebbkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #29
HairyKrishna

HairyKrishna slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebbieBobDebbkite View Post
YOURE MADE FOR FALLING AFLAME
REGRET IS PART OF YOUR NAME
ITS SOMETHING YOU COULDNT TELL
ITS WHAT YOU WANTED TO FEEL
Four letter fame dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Weinman View Post
Got to love all them different titties
HairyKrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #30
M2D2
Shinji Ikari

M2D2 slam gang member
Maybe some if us arent still living in 1999.
M2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote