SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Periphery

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
bulb
Resident Misha

Want Bulb's Podxt Patch?

Just go to www.sevenstring.org (great forum, good people and I have my first interview ever on the front page!)
I believe you need to sign up there, but then once you have go to the patch library and you can get my podxt rhythm and bass patches!
bulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
pateshko
Eat Mor Chikin

that's not true

Every time you refresh my face there is a different smell. So you are the coolest kid on the block even though you just eat bread and cheese...

Last edited by bulb; 06-08-2007 at 12:39 AM..
pateshko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
bulb
Resident Misha

oh thanks for clearing that up tina...
Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
pateshko
Eat Mor Chikin

haha ur funny
pateshko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
Shuggahnaut

Nice forum!

Your periphery and acle´s tesseract stuff made me buy a xt and your patch was way more informative than the manual... I built my own patch based on yours, still tweaking but getting there. So thanks for sharing your stuff!

There is a disabled eq setting in your patch. Do you always use it that way or do you record maybe like 1 left, 1 right eq on and double them eq off?
Just curious, still figuring things out... trying to get a descent recording sound..
Shuggahnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
DSS3

Misha, mind hosting it somewhere else (I can do it for you, if you want) so people who got banned from the site can access it?
DSS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
parabola5353
> Afro Dog

where in god's name is the patch library?
parabola5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
MF_Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulb View Post
Just go to www.sevenstring.org (great forum, good people and I have my first interview ever on the front page!)
I believe you need to sign up there, but then once you have go to the patch library and you can get my podxt rhythm and bass patches!
OMG i love R&B muzak!!!
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
MF_Kitten

when using the Stomp Boost+EQ unit, i see you set the mid sweep to 50%... have you tried going down to 45% with it? i found that doing that really hit the right spot when i was tweaking around... also, how do you get by with the bass set so high on the amp model? is there any specific reason for that, like does it have a desirable effect on the tone, so you can just EQ the bassyness back out afterwards? or do you just like really bassy guitar tones? (listening to your stuff, it seems not? :P)

here i am, raving about again... but for a last question, what kind of EQing do you do to the guitars, like what frequencies do you find yourself boosting most often, and which frequencies do you find yourself cutting most often?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
bulb
Resident Misha

patchplz?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
MF_Kitten

i´m using a pod X3 live, so no patch yet... but going from the patch you have posted at sevenstring.org, just follow these steps:

on the boost+EQ stomp box model, just back the gain knob down to about 80-85%, as having it too high overloads the amp model when you do chords, and makes it sound gnarly... although for some reason you don´t seem to suffer from this :P

then, on the same stomp box effect, take that mid-sweep knob, and turn it from "50%", and down to "45%"... subtle difference, but it´s a little bit more in the "sweet spot" for djent and pick attack, i find.

on the amp model, back treble down a little bit, and pull Bass down to about 30% (that´s my taste anyways).

after all of this, i usually tweak the sound using the parametric EQ on the pod, because i like to have the exact same sund every time i call in the effect..

in order to tame the fizzy brightness, i set the "high" knob to about 4 Khz, and lower it about 3 dB or so. this cuts down on all the frequencies from 4 khz and up. (the low and high knobs on the pod cuts FROM that frequency and onwards)

then, that´s about it, i might tweak the EQs in the recording application to bring out the guitars and stuff, but i don´t do too much...

now, what i´m wondering about. is how you get your clean tone... which chorus do you use, the expo chorus? and what amp model, what settings???
and what pickups do you usually do it with, humbuckers or single coils or what? i´m thinking about the clean sound on Racecar or Füf...
Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #12
bulb
Resident Misha

well you seem to know exactly what you are going for then
Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
MF_Kitten

i was suggesting you try it, dude! ;P
Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
JakePeriphery
Djent Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
i was suggesting you try it, dude! ;P
He can't, I just broke his arms for asking me a question about Pods.
JakePeriphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
MF_Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakePeriphery View Post
He can't, I just broke his arms for asking me a question about Pods.
hahaha, wtf!? :P

so i take it you don´t like pods? :P
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
JakePeriphery
Djent Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
hahaha, wtf!? :P

so i take it you don´t like pods? :P
No I like Pods, and no offense but the attention Misha gets from them annoys me because people are always begging for the patches for the Pod and templates for Nuendo and never want to do any work to create their own sound. Misha is too nice of a dude to tell people to back off and that he's not Line 6 tech support.
JakePeriphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
MF_Kitten

well, that is true, and i have to agree, people do nag the shit out of him. i tend not to nag, i give suggestions and opinions. my bad habit, though, is that i do this with HUGE fucking posts :P

i don´t really want misha´s tone or patch, but i do like his tone, so i went out and found the settings from the patch he has up on sevenstring.org, and i found that if he did those tweaks i said, it could be a more balanced sound, so i thought hey, he´s gotta try this! :P

so yeah. i´ve asked him about tips and help and stuff, but not that much really, and i´ve never wanted him to do my tone shaping for me or whatever. i´d say i´ve been alot more naggy with critisizing his mixing and stuff (positively, of course!)...

so yeah, Bulb, Jake has wise words for ya here, just post a general list that isn´t too specific, that has some hints and tips to how to get a generally good mix (like when you say add low mids to bass, subtract same low mids from guitars etc), and then let that be a sticky on this forum, and if people ask, just redirect them there... having to do people´s bidding just because you know how to is just silly. so fess up, get a slice of bread n´ cheese, and write your final mixing/tone guide ever! :)
Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
bulb
Resident Misha

well the thing is i have learned in such an ass backwards way that i really dont know anything, just trust your ears, thats all i do
i know it sounds vague but its what i do, i have no idea what im doing and i dont rely on figures, numbers or specs, i just change things till they sound better, sometimes it takes me months to realize that i have been working against my mix, i probably am still making a lot of mistakes, but there is no general mix that works for any song, they all end up being drastically different

i posted the pod patch because its a good starting place, but unfortunately unless you have the rest of my equipment, settings my hands, my picking technique, my guitars etcetc you wont ever nail my tone exactly, and thats a good thing because you will have your own and something that works for you and probably only you.

sit there and tweak, and save your progress and continue, thats the only useful advice i can give, im not learned enough to preach anymore than that!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
MF_Kitten

YES! that´s what´s been needed. good going, mish! :)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #20
pwnties

LOLZ

Please tell me someone had the CAPTCHA, "frowned pulous." ROFL wtf. k wow thx and my asshole just fell apart. and why am i posting to the oldest post in the world?
pwnties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #21
malacoda
Fogdiver

Quote:
Misha, when I download it it says that my POD doesn't have the amp model available... do I have to buy the Metal Shop add ons to use the patch? I found the same problem with the Meshuggah style patch on sevenstring also.
malacoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #22
xcdkx

Quote:
well the thing is i have learned in such an ass backwards way that i really dont know anything, just trust your ears, thats all i do
i know it sounds vague but its what i do, i have no idea what im doing and i dont rely on figures, numbers or specs, i just change things till they sound better, sometimes it takes me months to realize that i have been working against my mix, i probably am still making a lot of mistakes, but there is no general mix that works for any song, they all end up being drastically different

i posted the pod patch because its a good starting place, but unfortunately unless you have the rest of my equipment, settings my hands, my picking technique, my guitars etcetc you wont ever nail my tone exactly, and thats a good thing because you will have your own and something that works for you and probably only you.

sit there and tweak, and save your progress and continue, thats the only useful advice i can give, im not learned enough to preach anymore than that!
I just completely agree with this notion of structuring your own sound and technique for guitar. Just for years and year you hear bands like meshuggah being able to produce tones and implement unusual and new styles in their music that no one has ever conceived of before just astounds me. I really enjoyed that point misha thanks for the inspiration Im glad to see the ears are always trustworthy.
xcdkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #23
cheepy91

SO i dont have a pod x3 or any pod for that matter. I want to know how i can get a tone close to Misha's with just a Digitech Rp500
cheepy91 is offline   Reply With Quote