SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 AM   #31
strychnine
Administrator

Rep Power: 10 strychnine beat up jewskistrychnine beat up jewski
Re: cryptopsy's book of suffering

I paid about $40 for a None so Vile shirt this year shipped from Canada and a few months later the front started wearing off.
strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #32
SwedeMetal
Total Dilf!

You should wear it to McDonald's and get some ketchup on it.
SwedeMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #33
percivals
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

o yea for the record i was talking about serocs not cryptopsy, this band is really boring in 2015 </3 sorry not sorry
percivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:06 AM   #34
Sculpy

NOW which band are you talking about? =P
Sculpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #35
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

nothing after OWN was worth the plastic of the cd it was printed on. this included
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #36
J72826

Quote:
Originally Posted by strychnine View Post
I paid about $40 for a None so Vile shirt this year shipped from Canada and a few months later the front started wearing off.

Breh back off k they're an independent band k
J72826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #37
serocs
>implying

yea i bought a logo shirt, never got it

wrote them, they said "might have been lost in the mail", never did anything about it
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #38
Johnny-Skinless

I've been a fan of this band for like 15 years, so i just feel like speaking my mind out. Yeah the vox might not please everyone, but that was always the thing with Cryptopsy. Lord Worm had some of the most unusual, weird, unnerving vocals in all extreme metal. Thing is Cryptopsy were never much concerned with being a typical death metal band, it's just that on the first albums people were thinking of them that way, but in reality they had lots of groove, breakdowns, dissonant parts and so forth. If you take Benedictine Convulsions for example, it has such "jumpdafuckup" riffs that wouldn't be out of place even on some nu/groove metal record. I'm perfectly fine with that. The breakdowns they're doing on the last EP are a continuation of that style, only like a million times sicker in some ways haha. Then they brought in DiSalvo who had this hardcore vibe going on, and it worked out incredibly well. I can still remember the times when everyone was complaining about it. Not true DM haha. I loved Mike's vocals and he's my fav Cryptopsy vocalist ever. Then they did the whole "deathcorish" image change, which was sort of uninspired but still, most of the music on "The Unspoken King" sounds great to me. There's zero reasons to "stop carring about them" unless you're more concerned with image and other bullshit, than with the actual music they're churning out, especially now, especially if you compare it to the lame retro bullshit that gets so much praise everywhere. As far as i'm concerned very few bands can even hold a candle to them in terms of originality and brutality (DS, Wormed, early Ulcerate, old hacks like Origin, Hate Eternal.. who the fuck else, you tell me)

I can't say i'm all into Matt's vox, but he strangely sounds spot on and conveys the right emotions for me. Not to mention that he simply owns live on all the footage i've seen so far. Where i'm getting at is that Cryptopsy at heart is not a "pure death metal band", not a "true metal band". Never was, never will be. That's just the genre that was the closest to the music they put out. They are just an (the most actually) extreme, forward thinking, brutal band with lots of grind and groove. If you think about it, "death metal fans" are bitching about them since like 199 fuckin 7 or something. And we're in 2015 haha. It'll alwasy be like that. As for their personalities, i don't know, they might be cocky, arrogant bastards and while that's not cool, i for one don't care at all. I just love the music.

End of rant.
Johnny-Skinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 PM   #39
Sculpy

Cool post, good point raised about them not necessarily being about any one sound. Personally love everything up to OWN, but I agree with Shadow.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #40
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 26 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Except they were setting trends, going against the grain, being truly abrasive in their ealier days. Then "The Unspoken King" happened and you saw them succumbing to trends, trying to cater to a different, supposedly wider audience, sacrificing all artistic integrity. That is a thing that can never be erased from my mind.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #41
serocs
>implying

Exactly.

When they were "different and experimenting" it was different than everyone else's sound.

Now, when they're "different and experimenting", it's because they're different from their previous sound but similar to other people's sound (from 2007).

This new song "Framed by Blood" is literally a deathcore song. TUK wasn't really deathcore like people said, it was just shitty. This new song is literally deathcore. Not because "it has a breakdown like NSV!!1!" but because it's deathcore.
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #42
Johnny-Skinless

Deathcore can be fucking amazing sometimes, not very often. Ion Dissonance for example. but i still don't find the song deathcore. And TUK had lots of sick stuff on it. Each to his own i guess.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #43
Sculpy

I really don't find Ion Dissonance and similar bands to be deathcore at all. I.D., Crowpath, Red Chord, Plasmarifle etc have too many influences to be considered deathcore, all neat and tidy.

Deathcore is way more uninhibitedly retarded than bands like Ion Dissonance.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #44
Johnny-Skinless

Because that's the real deathcore. I know what you mean though. I just don't see much of the dumb deathcore influence on TUK let's say.