SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Alchemist

Alchemist Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #61
Daann
Arch enemy <3

The first time i've heard Alchemist was yesterday. It was on a metalfestival in Holland, Friesland (Wâldrock). When I heard it, I was suprised how good they were.
I think they are a great band!
Daann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #62
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Thumbs up

Welcome, Daann!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daann View Post
The first time i've heard Alchemist was yesterday. It was on a metalfestival in Holland, Friesland (Wâldrock). When I heard it, I was suprised how good they were.
I think they are a great band!
I completely agree with you! :-D
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions with us!
How did the rest of the fans (How many were there approximately?) enjoy the show?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #63
mistery

1st time i heard Alchemist it was wen Embyonics get out. But i didnīt have any real contact with the band... one day
mistery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #64
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistery View Post
1st time i heard Alchemist it was wen Embyonics get out.
Congratulations - and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistery View Post
But i didnīt have any real contact with the band... one day
Where do you live?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:53 PM   #65
Goost16

The first time I met Alchemist was when I was browsing the lineup for graspop, I randomly picked some random names and looked them up on youtube.
I believe that was ~6 months ago, and the first song was probably the live record of Yoni Kunda.
The moment I started listening Alchemist, I've been loving the music alot, and started listening it perhaps a bit too much ;)
Goost16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:32 AM   #66
Raider 351

1st time I saw Alchemist was at the Lolipop Centre in Woden circa 1986, I think somebody's mum worked there so it was used as a venue. That version of Alchemist played orginals (I can't remember which, it was so long ago) as well as stuff like "Seek and Destroy", "Whiplash" and "Pounding Metal".

Cheers
Raider 351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #67
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider 351 View Post
1st time I saw Alchemist was at the Lolipop Centre in Woden circa 1986
Woah, this is awesome!!! Thank you very much for sharing this with us!
Could this have been in 1987, though? As far as I know Adam founded the band that year.

Quote:
I think somebody's mum worked there so it was used as a venue.
That's really interesting. I just looked it up: Lollipop Children's Centre

Quote:
That version of Alchemist played orginals (I can't remember which, it was so long ago) as well as stuff like "Seek and Destroy", "Whiplash" and "Pounding Metal".
Cheers
So, how was the show? Did you enjoy yourself?!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #68
Raider 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Woah, this is awesome!!! Thank you very much for sharing this with us!
Could this have been in 1987, though? As far as I know Adam founded the band that year.

That's really interesting. I just looked it up: Lollipop Children's Centre

So, how was the show? Did you enjoy yourself?!
I'm pretty sure it was 1986, but I could be wrong, after all it was 22 years ago. From memory it was the first gig that Vocalist Murray Neill played with the band. When I say gig I use the term pretty loosely, it was more of a rehersal with a number of people watching. If memory serves, it was free entry and they played outside. At that time they would have been around 15 years old and that version of Alchemist wouldn't been together more than 12 months. So they were pretty raw(and young) but I always liked seeing them play. I remember marveling at how well Adam played, despite relatively young he could hold his own compared older guitarist around at the time. Right from the start they always put on a good show, particulary Adam and Murray. I was lucky enough to see play live and reherse quite bit during those days as I was good mate of Murray's. Good times, great memories, an awesome band then and now.
Cheers
Old 11-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #69
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for sharing more of your memories on this with us! This is sooo exciting to read!!!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was 1986, but I could be wrong, after all it was 22 years ago.
No worries, I see.
Do you still remember this gig / rehearsal, Adam?

Quote:
From memory it was the first gig that Vocalist Murray Neill played with the band.
What kind of singer was he?
What's he up to now?

Quote:
When I say gig I use the term pretty loosely, it was more of a rehersal with a number of people watching. If memory serves, it was free entry and they played outside. At that time they would have been around 15 years old and that version of Alchemist wouldn't been together more than 12 months. So they were pretty raw(and young) but I always liked seeing them play. I remember marveling at how well Adam played, despite relatively young he could hold his own compared older guitarist around at the time. Right from the start they always put on a good show, particulary Adam and Murray.
Without a shadow of doubt!!!
Ah, the beauty of it ... *drools*

Quote:
I was lucky enough to see play live and reherse quite bit during those days as I was good mate of Murray's. Good times, great memories, an awesome band then and now.
Cheers
You're a very lucky guy!
What else do you remember?
What was their original stuff like during that time frame?
Say, you don't happen to have taken any photos then, do you?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #70
Raider 351

Quote:
Thank you very much for sharing more of your memories on this with us! This is sooo exciting to read!!!

No worries, I see.
Do you still remember this gig / rehearsal, Adam?

What kind of singer was he?
What's he up to now?

Without a shadow of doubt!!!
Ah, the beauty of it ... *drools*

You're a very lucky guy!
What else do you remember?
What was their original stuff like during that time frame?
Say, you don't happen to have taken any photos then, do you?
Okay, Let me think,
Murray's vocals were somewhere along the lines of say, James Hetfield or Ozzy Ozbourne. That's not to say he was a hybbrid of them, I'm just trying to give you a rough idea of what he was like. He definitely wasn't a high pitched-balls in a vice type singer. I lost touch with him about 1994, as far as I know he didn't do anything musically after Alchemist.(someone else might know more about this than me) It's pity he didn't, I thought he was an excellent frontman. I remember one show they played where Scott(Bass) was going to be out town so they decided Murray would do bass and vocals. I know he had some musical training and may even have owned an acoustic guitar but he certainly didn't own a bass guitar so he had very short time to learn all the songs on bass. He must have been bloody observant at rehersals because he did a pretty good job. As far as I know that was the only time that version of Alchemist played as a three piece.
As far as their orginal stuff goes, I think they had at least a dozen or so original songs, it may even have been more. Apart from the ones on the "Eternal Wedlock" demo I remember song called "A Force" and another called "Thrash 'till death". The orginals were Heavy/Power Metal type songs exept "Thrash 'till death" which is pretty self explanitory. From memory I think they had reached the point where they were dropping older orginals from their setlist in favour of newer songs. The music bears no resemblance to to their stuff now. That said, I haven't heard any songs from from the "Eternal Wedlock" era for a long time so I'm only going from memory.
I don't have any photos unfortunatelty, but I remember seeing some taken at the lolipop centre gig. I don't remember whose they were but I assume it was one of the band members cameras. I love to see them again it sure would bring back memories.
Finally I'd like to make it clear I don't pretend to be the authority on the pre-history of Alchemist, I'm just going on my memories. Others might have different recollections from me which is cool, I'd love to hear from anyone else around that era .
Cheers
Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #71
fishboy

Quote:
Okay, Let me think,
Murray's vocals were somewhere along the lines of say, James Hetfield or Ozzy Ozbourne. That's not to say he was a hybbrid of them, I'm just trying to give you a rough idea of what he was like. He definitely wasn't a high pitched-balls in a vice type singer. I lost touch with him about 1994, as far as I know he didn't do anything musically after Alchemist.(someone else might know more about this than me) It's pity he didn't, I thought he was an excellent frontman. I remember one show they played where Scott(Bass) was going to be out town so they decided Murray would do bass and vocals. I know he had some musical training and may even have owned an acoustic guitar but he certainly didn't own a bass guitar so he had very short time to learn all the songs on bass. He must have been bloody observant at rehersals because he did a pretty good job. As far as I know that was the only time that version of Alchemist played as a three piece.
As far as their orginal stuff goes, I think they had at least a dozen or so original songs, it may even have been more. Apart from the ones on the "Eternal Wedlock" demo I remember song called "A Force" and another called "Thrash 'till death". The orginals were Heavy/Power Metal type songs exept "Thrash 'till death" which is pretty self explanitory. From memory I think they had reached the point where they were dropping older orginals from their setlist in favour of newer songs. The music bears no resemblance to to their stuff now. That said, I haven't heard any songs from from the "Eternal Wedlock" era for a long time so I'm only going from memory.
I don't have any photos unfortunatelty, but I remember seeing some taken at the lolipop centre gig. I don't remember whose they were but I assume it was one of the band members cameras. I love to see them again it sure would bring back memories.
Finally I'd like to make it clear I don't pretend to be the authority on the pre-history of Alchemist, I'm just going on my memories. Others might have different recollections from me which is cool, I'd love to hear from anyone else around that era .
Cheers
Sounds pretty right to me , I remember the lollipop, Who is this send me a personal message
Cheers mate
Adam
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #72
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Talking

First of all: Thanks alot for another prompt reply, Raider 351! I'm a sucker for old school stuff, so I appreciate your support!!!

Quote:
Okay, Let me think,
Murray's vocals were somewhere along the lines of say, James Hetfield or Ozzy Ozbourne. That's not to say he was a hybbrid of them, I'm just trying to give you a rough idea of what he was like.
Thanks, I see.
Nothing against Murray Neill, but to be honest with you, now I'm even more happy Adam took over vocal duties!

Quote:
He definitely wasn't a high pitched-balls in a vice type singer. I lost touch with him about 1994, as far as I know he didn't do anything musically after Alchemist.(someone else might know more about this than me) It's pity he didn't, I thought he was an excellent frontman. I remember one show they played where Scott(Bass) was going to be out town so they decided Murray would do bass and vocals. I know he had some musical training and may even have owned an acoustic guitar but he certainly didn't own a bass guitar so he had very short time to learn all the songs on bass. He must have been bloody observant at rehersals because he did a pretty good job. As far as I know that was the only time that version of Alchemist played as a three piece.
This must have been awesome! I have a soft spot for power trios in my heart (VOIVOD mark II, anyone?!)!

Quote:
As far as their orginal stuff goes, I think they had at least a dozen or so original songs, it may even have been more.
Wow, a dozen! I had no idea they already had that many songs back then! That's awesome!

Quote:
Apart from the ones on the "Eternal Wedlock" demo I remember song called "A Force" and another called "Thrash 'till death". The orginals were Heavy/Power Metal type songs exept "Thrash 'till death" which is pretty self explanitory.
Man, this sounds just great!

Quote:
From memory I think they had reached the point where they were dropping older orginals from their setlist in favour of newer songs. The music bears no resemblance to to their stuff now.
I'm sure about that but I still wonder if there's a red line from these old songs to their current stuff.

Quote:
That said, I haven't heard any songs from from the "Eternal Wedlock" era for a long time so I'm only going from memory.
No worries, you're doing an excellent job!

Quote:
I'd love to see them as well - just out of pure curiosity!

Quote:
Finally I'd like to make it clear I don't pretend to be the authority on the pre-history of Alchemist, I'm just going on my memories. Others might have different recollections from me which is cool, I'd love to hear from anyone else around that era.
I second this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy View Post
Sounds pretty right to me , I remember the lollipop
Thanks a lot for replying to this, Adam!
Say, did you use anything (lyrics, a riff, a break, a song title, ...) from these old original songs for your later work?
And did you have to fight in order to keep the band name or did your former band mates just relinquish it to you?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #73
fishboy

Cool

Quote:
First of all: Thanks alot for another prompt reply, Raider 351! I'm a sucker for old school stuff, so I appreciate your support!!!

Thanks, I see.
Nothing against Murray Neill, but to be honest with you, now I'm even more happy Adam took over vocal duties!

This must have been awesome! I have a soft spot for power trios in my heart (VOIVOD mark II, anyone?!)!

Wow, a dozen! I had no idea they already had that many songs back then! That's awesome!

Man, this sounds just great!

I'm sure about that but I still wonder if there's a red line from these old songs to their current stuff.

No worries, you're doing an excellent job!

I'd love to see them as well - just out of pure curiosity!

I second this!

Thanks a lot for replying to this, Adam!
Say, did you use anything (lyrics, a riff, a break, a song title, ...) from these old original songs for your later work?
And did you have to fight in order to keep the band name or did your former band mates just relinquish it to you?
Hey no worries , i remeber we played a benefit gig as alchaschmutz in black metal corpse paint with the current line up in 93, We played Kill for It, a song of Eternal wedlock , That was a fucking funny gig , someone in the band has a tape of that show , I was making fun of everyone in the crowd , i am very surprised i surrvived, we also played , We,re not gunna take it by twisted sister and some 0ther tunes , like our version of police Message in a bottle , called Massage in a Brothel.
fishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #74
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey no worries
Thanks a lot, mate!

Quote:
i remeber we played a benefit gig as alchaschmutz in black metal corpse paint with the current line up in 93

Wow, this must have been an awesome event!
What kind of benefit was that? And where was it held?

Quote:
We played Kill for It, a song of Eternal wedlock

Quote:
That was a fucking funny gig
Yeah, I reckon ... I wish I could have attended that one!

Quote:
someone in the band has a tape of that show

Who?! Tell me who, please!!!
Is this an audio or a video tape of that show?
Are there pictures of this event as well?

Quote:
I was making fun of everyone in the crowd , i am very surprised i surrvived
I'm sure the audience still adored you as their lovable rogue!

Quote:
we also played , We,re not gunna take it by twisted sister and some 0ther tunes , like our version of police Message in a bottle , called Massage in a Brothel.

This show must have been fucking awesome! I always liked your version of "Black Metal" on that Venom tribute album much more than the original version!
Say, why don't you guys just hammer out a quick (mini-) album of this kind for Relapse before you get serious with the real stuff?!
In addition to everybody loving it we'd finally get some real fun in these bleak times!
Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #75
Mendicant
Belco Bastard

didn't Murray sing in Nemesis too? all I remember is he had BIG hair and a stylish tyedye outfit. They played the first Metal For The Brain

I assume the Alchaschmutz benefit gig was the Sign Of The Times one which was a fund raiser for soundman Gup who reversed his truck into the Electric Shadows (a cinema) sign next to the Terrace Bar (I think that was the story) - I have the flyer somewhere and I have vague memories of the gig
Mendicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #76
Fritz

Mick, let me assure you that there is no creative link between the Alchemist of the late 80s and the Alchemist of today. The old version was a bunch of kids having fun and learning a lot along the way. 3 people left the band, and Adam continued with the name, but formed the band that would become the professional outfit that you know and love today. Murray, Nick and Scott are all great blokes but they can't claim any real contribution to Alchemist's success.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 AM   #77
Fritz

Quote:
I was lucky enough to see play live and reherse quite bit during those days as I was good mate of Murray's.Cheers
Raider, I think I know who you are. If drinking rocket fuel at the funny farm, Parramatta Grand Finals, and the best jam sandwiches I've ever tasted ring any bells, send me a PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #78
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Thumbs up

First of all: Welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for your reply, Fritz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Mick, let me assure you that there is no creative link between the Alchemist of the late 80s and the Alchemist of today.
Thank you very much for your reaasurance!
Yes, I reckon that even if I'd had the fortune of encountering Alchemist already in the 1980s they probably wouldn't have attracted my attention because of these differences ...

Quote:
The old version was a bunch of kids having fun and learning a lot along the way. 3 people left the band, and Adam continued with the name, but formed the band that would become the professional outfit that you know and love today.
What gave it away?

Quote:
Murray, Nick and Scott are all great blokes but they can't claim any real contribution to Alchemist's success.
Well, I don't know Murray, Nick, or Scott, unfortunately, but I know what you mean and I agree with you.
But on the other hand I think that in hindsight some traces of Adam's influence just have to be noticeable in the music of that first incarnation of Alchemist. I mean, there's a reason it does say "Music: A. Agius" for all four songs on the "Eternal Wedlock"-inlay! It's these traces that I'm interested in.
Maybe I'm just obsessed and prone to reactance, I don't know.

Last edited by Mick; 12-04-2008 at 09:08 AM..