SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Twelfth Gate

Twelfth Gate Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 02-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
GateXII

Exclamation Order THRESHOLD OF REVELATION Cheap!!

I did a little bit a research...and found a few places that are taking pre-orders for our new album & are selling it for fairly cheap:

CD Universe ($12.59 + tax/shipping)
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/...Revelation.htm

Deep Discount CD ($11.77 + tax)
http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index....c=822603112528

Buy.com ($12.98 + tax/shipping):
http://www.buy.com/prod/Threshold_Of...202315453.html

The End Records ($12.99 - Free Shipping):
http://shopping.theendrecords.com/s....twelfth%20gate

I'd hate to see anyone pay more than they had to for our CD. ;)

Last edited by GateXII; 04-25-2006 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Found another cheap vendor
GateXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
prncsslime

So a few questions for ya...
1. Will you be selling the CD at Powerfest? (If not the other question doesn't matter anyway ;))
2. If you are selling them at Pfest....wouldn't they be the same price? And even if they aren't, (I would much rather have you take ALL the spoils, then give the record company a cut :censor: darn corporate crap.....) I will probably be buying it from you guys directly :). If not I guess I will have to give in to the almighty record industry eh?
~Annie
prncsslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Selppinevoli

Don't forget that the record company does help with the promotion and distribution for bands. If they weren't beneficial, bands wouldn't sign with them...

Anyways, like I said in the other thread, I'll be ordering my copy from The End Records, regardless of price. They always have great deals, free shipping (and fricken fast too!), and if you send in a question, they answer it quicker than you can imagine (I got a response back to my question about the new TG cd in about an hour or two...). They have more than earned my loyalty.
Selppinevoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
GateXII

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncsslime
So a few questions for ya...
1. Will you be selling the CD at Powerfest? (If not the other question doesn't matter anyway ;))
2. If you are selling them at Pfest....wouldn't they be the same price? And even if they aren't, (I would much rather have you take ALL the spoils, then give the record company a cut :censor: darn corporate crap.....) I will probably be buying it from you guys directly :). If not I guess I will have to give in to the almighty record industry eh?
~Annie
Yes, we will be selling them at Powerfest. Although, regarding the price...I'm really not sure how much they'll cost. The reason is that there is supposed to be someone from our label coming out to the show, and if they do come out & they bring their own stock of TG CDs, I'm not sure sure how much they'll charge. Otherwise, if we sell our own, they'll probably be $10 as usual. ;)

I should know more soon...and I'll keep you posted.

Later,
Rob
Old 03-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
prncsslime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateXII
Yes, we will be selling them at Powerfest. Although, regarding the price...I'm really not sure how much they'll cost. The reason is that there is supposed to be someone from our label coming out to the show, and if they do come out & they bring their own stock of TG CDs, I'm not sure sure how much they'll charge. Otherwise, if we sell our own, they'll probably be $10 as usual. ;)

I should know more soon...and I'll keep you posted.

Later,
Rob
Thanks Rob!! You ROCK
Old 03-08-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
prncsslime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selppinevoli
Don't forget that the record company does help with the promotion and distribution for bands. If they weren't beneficial, bands wouldn't sign with them...
Not to sound "ass-holish", but it isn't necessarily the record companies who get the word out on bands. If that was the case, why isn't Century Media (example)
pumping out more bands that get more exposure? I think it has everything to do with what "corporate America" wants us to listen to. Sure, there is Headbangers Ball, now on MTV2, where back in the 80's it was totally mainstream, but after that, you wouldn't hear Nevermore on any radio station around here (just an example).
No offense to ANY band that believes in the record companies, but I think most bands sign with companies so they don't have to deal with the time, expense, and bullshit it takes to: 1. Find a studio, 2. cut the record, 3. find a place, and pay for the CD to be made, and 4. Deal with all the promotion BS that goes along with the rest of it. Pay one fee, and you get all that in one whole package deal, whether the record company is a piece of crap label or not.
Now promoters on the other hand are a completely different story. Record companies PAY the promoters to do their job, and THAT'S where the actual promotion and distribution comes in.....record labels themselves have truly nothing to do with the publicity it takes to get an album out there and on the air....or even heard for that matter.....(don't hit me!! hehehehe)
And now I sit back and wait to get SLAMMED!! hehehehe
~Annie
Just my 2 cents.....(don't hit me....pleeeeez ;))
Old 03-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
GateXII

Wow Annie...you'd think you were in a band that got burned by a record company...hehe.

OK, here's a few reasons why bands want/need to get signed:

1. Unfortunately, the industry as a whole pays more attention to bands who are signed...and not only signed, but to which label...basically it's a "status" symbol.

2. It's the label that has the partnership with the distribution companies. Sure, bands these days can get agreements with smaller companies that help them get there albums out there (almost exclusively to online stores only), but in order to get your album distributed by a distribution company which will help get the album into certain stores like Tower or other chain...and even indie stores across the country or world, you need the bigger companies (like Caroline, Koch, Fontana, Red, Universal, Sony, etc) that only reputable record labels have partnerships with. Hope that made sense.

3. Labels are the ones with the relationships with the media/press, which help get the album reviewed, the band inteviewed...basically exposure in the media. Most of the time it IS in fact a label staff empoyee or the person in charge that handles this. Sure, bands can TRY to do this themselves, but you'd be surprised (as I was) how small of a community the music industry really is from a business aspect...so if you're not in the loop, it's a lot harder to get help. Here's the kicker too...most magazines for example only show love to labels that buy ads...so if a label doesn't buy ads, chances are the more reputable magazines (which people actually read more frequently...like Metal Maniacs, Revolver, Metal Edge, Metal Hammer, BW/BK, etc) may not show any attention to their label/bands. Sometimes of course there may be writers for those mags that may be interested in a certain band to where they may give a band some exposure to help...but as a whole "one hand washes the other".

4. Bottom line...bands rely on the label's contacts & reputation within the biz to help their band's credibility & buzz.

Also, any band has a shot to do it on their own, but in order for them to have even the slightest chance, the band needs to treat themselves as a label as well....which is such a HUGE expense on top of the already huge expense of paying for the majority (if not all) of the recording/mixing/mastering/artwork expenses.

Also, regarding your 4 points...it's usually always the bands responsibility to find the studio, and handle the majority of the expenses involved...unless of course you're a band like Nevermore...but then again, this IS the reason why their Enemies of Reality CD came out with a lower production quality at first...that was the best they could afford with the money the LABEL gave them. It's too bad that they just didn't spring for the diiference to get it done right the first time....but then again...just like most bands, they're poor bitches...lol.

Hope you enjoyed the first session of Music Business 101...hehe. We can talk more about it at Powerfest...that is if you're still going now that Scott won't be there...hehe.

It's funny too...cuz at the last Pfest, I was up until dawn on Saturday explaining to the guys from Mirror Black this exact same thing...it was totally like I was teaching a class...and they actually were taking notes...mental notes...but notes nonetheless...hehe.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Selppinevoli

I love learning about this stuff. Every now and again when I'm bored and have some free time, I surf around on Google and look up stuff about the music biz like promotion, distribution, how to do press releases, how to contact people, etc.

Sometime down the road, I hope to be in a band myself, so better to learn now so I don't get screwed over later lol.

I suppose the first thing I should learn is how to play an instrument

I'm pretty much relegated to the drums, since I can't sing, and I know I can't play guitar...so maybe I'll start sometime after Montana Metalfest
Old 03-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
prncsslime

Hehehe.....so slap some green paint on me and call me Gumby!! :)
Ya got me!! AAAaaargh.....
Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
GateXII

Quote:
Originally Posted by prncsslime
Hehehe.....so slap some green paint on me and call me Gumby!! :)
Ya got me!! AAAaaargh.....
LOL!! No biggy...honestly, I'm sure that what you described was true at some point...but the music biz just changes so much over the years...and will always continue change. Fortunately for some & unfortunately for others, I think that the changes that are coming now & in the next 5-10 years will change the face of the biz almost completely.

I predict CDs will go the way of the vinyl record in the next 10 years & be replaced by digital....also, I see more & more bands doing everything independently...similar to being self-employed. Of course, this will only work for bands who know what's up & aren't idiot rockstar wannabes with foolish dreams...hehe.
:soapbox:
LOL...I think this may actually call for the very first use of this emoticon.

I've always wanted to use it...hehe.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
Selppinevoli

Quote:
so slap some green paint on me and call me Gumby!!

Quote:
I predict CDs will go the way of the vinyl record in the next 10 years & be replaced by digital
I've been saying something similar for about the past year or year and a half now. I think CD's are going to be replaced by those little USB drives (or something similar). It'd be cool because you wouldn't have to worry about scratches. Probably won't happen until flash memory prices go down some more though...

Last edited by Selppinevoli; 03-10-2006 at 06:09 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
GateXII

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
prncsslime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selppinevoli

I've been saying something similar for about the past year or year and a half now. I think CD's are going to be replaced by those little USB drives (or something similar). It'd be cool because you wouldn't have to worry about scratches. Probably won't happen until flash memory prices go down some more though...
Aw maaaaaan LOL!!! Fantastic!! Although I'm not sure my hubby would appreciate being called "pokey" LOL!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
GateXII

Found another cheap place:

Deep Discount CD ($11.77)
http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/index....c=822603112528
Old 03-21-2006, 05:42 PM   #15
Chaoswolf0128

Today is March 21st and I ordered my copy of the new CD .. I cant wait :) :) :) :) HEHEHE like a metal head in one of ur concerts (Or if you must, a kid in a candy store)
Chaoswolf0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #16
Chaoswolf0128

lol today is april 11th I finally got your new CD .. lol after about 3 weeks of running to the mail box each day to see if I got it .. and I must say I love it all!!! .. sounds amazing with all my subs :) hahaha I still cant wait to see u guys in concert or something.. just wanted to say well done and I cant wait for number 3!!!!
Chaoswolf0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #17
Selppinevoli

Woot, I just checked The End Records to scope out what my next batch CD purchase will be, and they finally have the new Twelfth Gate album:

The End Records

$12.99, free shipping (fast too).

My favorite place to order CD's, woohoo! :banana:
Old 04-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #18
large caranium

You da man, Rob!

Hey, I had to say something. I've never checked this shit out before. So tell me, I hear you are selling TG's cd at powerfest, but I don't see you guys in the line up. Why is that? I'm a huge fan, physically. And I'd like to see you guys play!!!! And your new drummer is almost as handsome as you!!
large caranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
GateXII

Quote:
Originally Posted by large caranium View Post
Hey, I had to say something. I've never checked this shit out before. So tell me, I hear you are selling TG's cd at powerfest, but I don't see you guys in the line up. Why is that? I'm a huge fan, physically. And I'd like to see you guys play!!!! And your new drummer is almost as handsome as you!!
LMAO!!!! Hi Dan.

Good to finally see you on here you tubby bitch...correction...MY tubby bitch.