SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Alchemist

Alchemist Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 03:38 AM   #1
Bride of Pinbot

Question Your first encounter with Alchemist

The first time I heard Alchemist was on a Mountain biking film my boy friend bought called Mud Cows, the song was Yoni Kunda and I could not get it out of my head for weeks, later I bought Lunasphere CD and have been following the boys ever since, and I mst say it gets better and better, What was your first encounter with Alchemist’s music?
Bride of Pinbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:26 AM   #2
butz

close encounters of the first kind

I had heard the Jar CD a few times at Canberra house parties but it wasn't until I ventured to the ANU bar to see Boltthrower/ Amoured Angel/ Alchemist in 93 that I felt the power of their material live. Boltthrower were touring their 4th crusade album. I only had one joint and attempted to wait for the headliners until sparking it up. As soon as Alchemist started playing that spliff went up in smoke. Needless to say we scoped out one of the many dealers to inhabit the ANU in the early 90s so we could keep up the energy for the remainder of the night. I've still got a reminder from that night in the form of a long scrape up the side of my car the colour of the parking bay.
Word to the wise-Don't drink and drive kiddies!!
BUTZ
butz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
mattyj

moved to canberra in 89.
saw em when they had a wookie. i had the hots for his sister. she was a year older and a whole lotta hot.
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
beyond focused

The J's come through again!

Costa was the man that introduce me to the mighty Alchemist back in the Spiritech days - it has been more fulfiling days since then - a day of work with Alchemist has only helped the mindset and motivated the client!

Well done boys
beyond focused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:43 AM   #5
Colonel Klink

Quote:
Originally posted by mattyj
moved to canberra in 89.
saw em when they had a wookie. i had the hots for his sister. she was a year older and a whole lotta hot.
A wookie or wonkie ?

Not sure when my first Alchemist gig was , late 80's . Adza was the only member of the current line up in the band .

Hails Eternal Wedlock , bring back the Burning .

I could be wrong but I'm sure Alchemist had a kill Bon Jovi chant going at an early gig with a fake Jovi hanging from a rope that got ripped to shreds by the crowd .
How's that for fucking metal .
Colonel Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:51 AM   #6
Danthebokfan

pretty damn metal

hmm a while ago a friend's sister was going out with Rod and he told me about them... other people were telling me about them... eventually I got some CDs and went to some gigs... and was happy
Danthebokfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Hey Colonel Klink, thanx a lot for sharing these cool memories!
And hey Danthebokfan, you're almost part of the Alchemist-family! How cool is that?!
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:11 AM   #8
CrazyMary

I first heard Alchemist on the JJJ compilation "Twelve" from Three Hours of Power. The song was 'Garden of Erotcism' and it was my favourite on the (can you believe it) double-cassette album.
A bit later I saw the video clip for 'Road to Ubar' on Rage. I'd studied Ubar in Ancient History at school so that got my attention and that was the end for me - I went out and bought Spiritech and their back catalogue, and kept buying since.
They played 'Garden of Eroticism' last night at the Marquee but no 'Road to Ubar' - I can forgive them for that though.
CrazyMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
beyond focused

Video

I know this is not the topic of discussion for this thread, but I two would love to get myself a copy of the Eve of War video (if there is such a thing???), and The Road to Ubar video.

I know of the existence of the Road to Ubar video due to a chance viewing one drunken night on Rage (yes it was on Rage believe it or not!). But trying to find a copy now has been all but impossible. Luckily I was more prepared with the latest vids thanks to some better air play by some of the pay TV stations.

I remember seeing the Ubar vid about a month before the first ever Alchemist gig I saw - obviously it only served to build my enthusiasm when seeing the guys drill out those sounds in a visual sense.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #10
CrazyMary

I still have Road to Ubar on video. I used to tape Rage on Friday nights, see what was good, and copy anything to another video. We don't have two video players anymore, otherwise I would offer to make you a copy :)
It's got a funny little 'tribal' scene where everyone's dancing around a bonfire.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:06 AM   #11
Malice

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick
How do you like that video? I only know the two clips that are online ... :( I want that DVD they were talking about once! ;)
I think I saw the video on some Metal show a few years ago...the DVD will be very cool to see.
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:06 AM   #12
beyond focused

Thanks anyway re: the Ubar video CrazyMary - I guess I will have to wait for the DVD like everyone else :)

Despite my intoxicated state when I saw the vid I remember exactly what you mean with the tribal scene. The reason I recall it so well was that I think it was one of those film clips that you can associate really well with the song and its meaning. All too often you hear a song that you like and you have a picture in your head of what the meaning of it is and sometimes even some kind of visual representation (ie a narrative). The Ubar clip just seemed to be exactly what I was imagining for so long when hearing the song years earlier. Pretty damm good effort considering the minimal budget they would have been operating on. Another example of their talented art!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #13
Mick
aka AlcheMick

It's interesting that you like the video so much, beyond focused. I've never seen it but I heard that Alchemist don't like it at all ... I hope this doesn't mean they will exclude it from that DVD, though!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:23 AM   #14
beyond focused

Mick, probably I am just too much of a alchemist fan - Seeing that was the first time I saw anything of a visual sense from them (so I was really stoked).

I hope they don't drop it from any DVD - shit, any DVD they do will be a definite must have (I'll order a few copies for my mates I have converted!).

Old 10-06-2004, 09:31 AM   #15
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Quote:
Originally posted by beyond focused
Mick, probably I am just too much of a alchemist fan - Seeing that was the first time I saw anything of a visual sense from them (so I was really stoked).
I can't imagine that I wouldn't like the video clip, either. Just what you described made me even more anxious to see it!
So who's the bigger Alchemist-fan here?! ;)
I just think that Alchemist have very high quality standards (They didn't release the songs "Yin Palace" and "Organasm" because they think they suck but I'm sure these songs are still very good compared to all that other shit in record stores!) and would like to have complete control about their art but someone else did that video for them so they were unsatisfied with his work.

Quote:
Originally posted by beyond focused
I hope they don't drop it from any DVD - shit, any DVD they do will be a definite must have (I'll order a few copies for my mates I have converted!).

Yeah, an Alchemist-DVD will rock and it will be perfect! So this may take a while longer ...
Old 10-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #16
beyond focused

Definitely on the money with your comment about standards mick...

I suppose to them it is just another track they thought was not really up to the task, and yet we still think it is mind blowing (we alchy fans that is!). But that is all part of why you get so into their art because they don't compromise....

It will be good to see what the european cousins will think on this subject once some exposure from the shows is had.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:59 PM   #17
Mick
aka AlcheMick

Thanx a lot for your approval, beyond focused! It feels so good to finally know that I'm not alone with my views.
I really am curious if this tour will become a success in the end. For some reason none of the magazines I contacted published the dates on their web sites ... We'll just have to trust word-of-mouth then. This means Alchemist definitely have to come back next year. Hopefully some more experienced and professional agency will support them then (Some guy from Loudnoise attacked me in the Textures-forum because of the critical remarks I posted here in another thread.).
I hate to repeat myself, but I cannot wait for Prague! :D
Old 10-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #18
Bliss

my first encounter with alchemist was actually on the blue relapse DVD that came out, i heard "first contact" and really loved it. i was going to go to the cult of luna tour anyway and then i heard they were supporting so went along and they totally blew me and my mates along. we then due to being plastered, and being fun blokes, met them all afterwards and got on amazingly well with the whole band, gave roy a good party for his birthday and ended up getting punched in the face by cult of luna haha, so yeah, they then let me and my 2 mates get in the birmingham gig on the guestlist so naturally we went along, and enjoyed thier performance almost twice as much, due to being able to absorb the music a lot more because of less alcohol lubrication lol! so yeah, chatted with them all again and stuff, got the 2 CDs, a top, badges and stuff and then came on here! listened to the albums loads and i really want to get hold of all the older ones!

Graham
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #19
Guitar Andy

My first encounter with them was when they supported Cult Of Luna on Tuesday.
Guitar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #20
Eve

I had no choice to escape from Alchemist because my dear Mick listened to the "Austral Alien" Album very loud while dishwashing. He is totally in love with this Cosmic Metal and insisted on hearing a song from the album.
I was puzzled at first because regularly he listens to Thrash or Death Metal and I´m an expert now on finding out what band is playing at each time. Really difficult.
But now I heard cosmic sounds perfectly arranged with a voice so variable that I couldn´t believe it´s one person. Music from another dimension transzended by these four musicians.
I´m a great fan of DEAD CAN DANCE. And I never thought of ever hearing such a perfect, totally universe- like music again. But here we are.
"AlphaCapellaNovaVega" is like a trip through cosmic spheres. I love "Solar burn"!!! It reminds me of a sad, lulling pop song. And I love their instruments playing from one note to another so fluently that I think it will never end.
I love you guys!
But their music is melting with the kind and lovely persons behind it. We met them in Prague. Unfortunately the conditions during the concert were not so good, but Adam has an aura that catches you from the first moment.
:)
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 11:37 PM   #21
WombSyndrome668

Had a friend by the name of Royce make me a tape with their old demo on it in high school. Melba High School. I'd still like to stick Steve Chignell's yoda head in his date.
After that I remember sneaking into the Lunasphere release gig at the long-since-dead Terrace Bar in Canberra when I was 16, that was loud. People were falling all over the pedals and shit.
WombSyndrome668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:55 AM   #22
manicminnion

been listening to them for years only got to see them on last tour man i missed some shit, i'm moving down under
manicminnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 02:08 AM   #23
Demongrinder

first time....

I was given a promo version of Organasm by a record shop owner in Dublin-Ireland.....listened the to cd and was blown away...amazed how much of a VoiVod sound was in the music....i am a big VoiVod fan...
bought the previous releases on one of my trips to oz before i moved here...
brilliant and original band...they deserve to be huge!
:-)
Demongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 04:42 AM   #24
Colonel Klink

Re: first time....

Quote:
Originally posted by Demongrinder
I was given a promo version of Organasm by a record shop owner in Dublin-Ireland.....listened the to cd and was blown away...amazed how much of a VoiVod sound was in the music....i am a big VoiVod fan...
bought the previous releases on one of my trips to oz before i moved here...
brilliant and original band...they deserve to be huge!
It was great when they got to play with Voivod a few years ago , where in Oz are you living ?

Nice Holy Terror avatar .
Colonel Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:23 AM   #25
1AZRAEL1

it was a few weeks before they played at the wollongong youth centre for the world war three tour. even met acouple of em and got there signitures. after that i bought eve of the war and been listening to em ever since.
1AZRAEL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 AM   #26
Comothinon

My first encounter with Alchemist was when I was involved in a Melbourne based MP3 trading group on Subway BBS back when MP3s were just taking off (around 96/97). Someone uploaded Eve of the War EP (yeah illegal I know, but I ended up buying all their albums, so who said piracy doesn't pay?).

The track that did it for me was Yoni Kunda, which, on first listening, I didn't like it, but after a few listens, it grew on me and I ended up buying Lunasphere. Shortly after that I purchased Spiritech and Jar of Kingdom re-release 99. I've since bought Organasm and Austral Alien pretty much on release date and am looking forward to their next album, although I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with Austral Alien.

My top tracks I would have to say are Inertia and Eclectic (I wish they had more instrumentals like these - it's the music I like - deepthroat metal singing ain't my cup of tea), The Bio Approach, Unfocused, Chinese Whispers - aww heck, pretty much all of Spiritech.
Comothinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:15 AM   #27
Demongrinder

Col Klink.
am living in Melbourne....
am a big Holy Terror fan too!!
Demongrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #28
BKN

I have Know Alchemist Since i was a baby that was at 1990 and thay have meet me too my dad is friends with them when thay were in St Eddies

BKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 PM   #29
CrazyMary

Lifetime supporter, eh? ;)
Old 12-22-2005, 06:54 PM   #30
BKN

Yea and i am only 15
BKN is offline   Reply With Quote