Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anomalous

Anomalous Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 AM   #31
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by God_Complex View Post
yeh so im pretty much gonna mimic what I know everyone says all the time.. but tabs would be amazing! you should make a tab book like necrophagist did with epitaph... id buy it... and revelations is amazing but I hope you tab out metastasize eventually...
Sweet, I'm always so glad to hear praise for Metastasize. It's a really unique song. Most people just like the arpeggios in Revelations. It's our own fault, though.

Sometime, when and if I find the time, I'll learn power tabs (or whatever software) and plot it all out. Actually...I think Nate (who has never posted on a forum in his life) already knows how to do that stuff. Maybe I'll talk to him about it.
Metastasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:04 AM   #32
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruonitb View Post
thanks! :)

btw, do you know a free eq plugin with which i can easily do low cuts and hi cuts?
Not sure. I always use Waves plug ins...and there are ways that can be acquired *cough!*
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #33
ruonitb

Hehe, yeah...Iīm using Cubase SX!

Do you have a function which lets you choose lo cut or hi cut for example or do you just put the frequency down for (as an example) about 24 db?!
ruonitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #34
Metastasis

I usually work with parametric EQ and make a large cut or a large boost and cycle through the frequencies and listen to how it changes the signal. I don't usually use any high pass/lowpass fiter stuff.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 AM   #35
ruonitb

I just recorded something yesterday...some mistakes here and there but doesnīt matter. I recorded this for recording-practice only. ;)
Maybe you want to give it a listen and comment it! :)

http://up.universalhoster.net/7463_dm-10.mp3
Old 04-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #36
Ouroboros
Nescient

Awesome man. The jump to the solo there is a little awkward, but a lot of those riffs sound killer and are original too!

Good work on the song, the recording, the drum patterns (programmed, right?) and your chops, dude.
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #37
ruonitb

thanks! didnt expected a comment from someone else than metastasis...but nice. :) some parts are a little sloppy...im not used to record a whole song in one take.i programmed the drums with ez drummer...i still think that it sounds kinda real tho. ;)
thanks for the comment...i really appreciate it!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:05 AM   #38
Metastasis

Quote:
I just recorded something yesterday...some mistakes here and there but doesnīt matter. I recorded this for recording-practice only. ;)
Maybe you want to give it a listen and comment it! :)

http://up.universalhoster.net/7463_dm-10.mp3
First of all, the music is pretty awesome. The sound is good and has a raw quality to it and that works - but I do hear some flaws, like the guitars needing more definition, more crispness (like a light high mid boost and more compression). This is a mono recording, yes? Mono makes it more difficult to discern seperation, so it might have to do with that as well. But I do think the bass is a bit muddy and clippy (I don't blame you - so is ours!). Not sure how you recorded the bass, but I know it can be hard to control the dynamic thumps while retaining a present tone in the mix. The drums sound pretty good (are these DFH samples?) - they could use some velocity adjustments to give it a more human feel, but the tone is pretty nice.

But you are definitely on the right path. Keep at it.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #39
ruonitb

thanks!
well...I recorded the bass and the guitars with the line6 toneport ux2. its an usb interface+modeller.

I donīt know too much about bass recording and just recorded it since I donīt know whats important. I think I will have to search for some informations.

Maybe I have too much distortion on the guitars and I didnīt compress anything on this track...so this is really raw! Have to play around with the compressor now - will post the new version then. ;)

These are the basic samples of EZ Drummer...I donīt know if they are taken from DFH, but Iīm getting the DFH Pack for EZ Drummer anyway. :)

What do you mean by mono recording? The panning/mix etc or the recording itself?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #40
Metastasis

Quote:
thanks!
well...I recorded the bass and the guitars with the line6 toneport ux2. its an usb interface+modeller.

I donīt know too much about bass recording and just recorded it since I donīt know whats important. I think I will have to search for some informations.

Maybe I have too much distortion on the guitars and I didnīt compress anything on this track...so this is really raw! Have to play around with the compressor now - will post the new version then. ;)

These are the basic samples of EZ Drummer...I donīt know if they are taken from DFH, but Iīm getting the DFH Pack for EZ Drummer anyway. :)

What do you mean by mono recording? The panning/mix etc or the recording itself?

I don't hear any stereo field. It could be that you made no panning adjustments, or it could be a mono mixdown. You will eventually need to widen the field by panning dual guitar tracks and seperating the drums to allow room for each instrument and make it "big".
Old 05-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #41
ruonitb

Shit...I panned everything pretty well. :/

ah damn...Iīm working on a new song at the moment. Will post it here. ;)
Old 05-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #42
Metastasis

Quote:
Shit...I panned everything pretty well. :/

ah damn...Iīm working on a new song at the moment. Will post it here. ;)
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounded like it was mono. I'll listen to it again.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #43
ruonitb

You arenīt the only one who said that. So, you are right...but I just wonder why, since I really panned the guitars.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #44
Metastasis

Maybe check all of your settings for your mixdown. I know cubase has several settings that include mono or stereo mixdowns. Not a big deal, just get your settings correct.

On a side note - I'm actually teaching myself cubase at the moment and it seems pretty cool. I'm actually having a hard time mixing down MIDI (I've updated to DFH Superior). So far, all I can do is record it onto an audio track, but it has playback artifacts (glitchiness, I might need to upgrade my comp as well).

Next comes new Genelec monitors! Either that or a pair of Adams. And a new soundcard with high quality A to D conversion and latency (that'll help with the aforementioned glitchiness). Also: a new mixing desk with speaker stands. I can't wait to be legit!
Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #45
Ouroboros
Nescient

Do you have any specific directions for velocity mapping the drums?

I have clips up on www.myspace.com/confuocometal and the drums are raw aside from a little EQ.

It's mainly for the snare, right?
Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 AM   #46
Metastasis

I apply some velocity adjustments to everything. Snare is the most important because it's frequency range is the most present, but I also make subtle adjustments to the kick, especially when it is the main sound (like during a trilled-out groove ala Cryptopsy). I also apply this to tom fills and cymbals, once again, especially if they are grooving and start sounding overly repetitive.

Also - composition is key. I like changing up the cymbal mid-beat and making patterns out of the cymbal pulse and snare hits to liven it up. Maybe make the kick half-time to break up the doubles for a bit.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #47
God_Complex

This doest relate to this thread and you might have answered it before but when you find your drummer to tour with are you going to use them in the studio for all the subsequent material or are you going to continue programming your drums? I recall a review of your album where the reviewer protested the idea of getting an actual drummer and talked about how it made anomalous' sound more unique. So are the drums part of the sound you’re going for or just because of the lack of a drummer? I think the bands proficiency wouldn’t change either way I was just curious.
God_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #48
ruonitb

Hi!

So, the stereo stuff seems to work now.

http://download.yousendit.com/68F188E5060EAD60

Using cubase is nice...especially for drum programming. Itīs easy to do velocity changes etc., and with dfh superior you basically have everything you need.

Btw: is a sequenzer included in dfh superior or is it just a sample package with mixer?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #49
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by God_Complex View Post
This doest relate to this thread and you might have answered it before but when you find your drummer to tour with are you going to use them in the studio for all the subsequent material or are you going to continue programming your drums? I recall a review of your album where the reviewer protested the idea of getting an actual drummer and talked about how it made anomalous' sound more unique. So are the drums part of the sound you’re going for or just because of the lack of a drummer? I think the bands proficiency wouldn’t change either way I was just curious.
That's a good question. We've always wanted real drums - and I know that the programmed sound is off putting to a lot of people. Our goal is to acquire a drummer for the recording of our full length.

As for fans like the reviewer who prefer the synth drums, well, there are production techniques to make a live drummer sound artificial. I'm not sure if we will want to go that route for the material we are currently writing, however.

Last edited by Metastasis; 05-13-2007 at 03:41 AM..
Old 05-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #50
Metastasis

Quote:
Hi!

So, the stereo stuff seems to work now.

http://download.yousendit.com/68F188E5060EAD60

Using cubase is nice...especially for drum programming. Itīs easy to do velocity changes etc., and with dfh superior you basically have everything you need.

Btw: is a sequenzer included in dfh superior or is it just a sample package with mixer?
No, you need some kind of sequencing software like cubase to program Superior.

And your track is definitely panned out. Pretty sweet arpeggios...the takes are a bit rough, but it sounds like you're getting there.

It reminds me of something I made a while ago on a whim. I'm tempted to post it here.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #51
ruonitb

well, you can listen to the whole thing on our (new) myspace site now:

http://www.myspace.com/inanexistence

I sent you a friend request btw ;)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #52
ChAAPY
it's one louder

I just have to chime in and ask this, but can you dup a MIDI file into EZDrummer? like, I write all drum parts in Guitar Pro 5 and then I go into Fruity Loops and import the MIDI file and match everything up with the samples so it plays which is wayyy easier to me instead of writing drums in Fruity Loops. I'm getting a Mac soon and want to upgrade to EZDrummer so that's why I'm wondering. thanks in advance for any help.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM   #53
Antæos

Off topic, but have you seen this one, Meta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4GKHXO_Jc
Antæos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #54
Metastasis

Quote:
well, you can listen to the whole thing on our (new) myspace site now:

http://www.myspace.com/inanexistence

I sent you a friend request btw ;)
Sweet!

What? No top friends for Anomalous?!!!

Haha, just kiddking. Keep writing brutal shit.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #55
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
I just have to chime in and ask this, but can you dup a MIDI file into EZDrummer? like, I write all drum parts in Guitar Pro 5 and then I go into Fruity Loops and import the MIDI file and match everything up with the samples so it plays which is wayyy easier to me instead of writing drums in Fruity Loops. I'm getting a Mac soon and want to upgrade to EZDrummer so that's why I'm wondering. thanks in advance for any help.
Is Guitar Pro 5 MIDI? If so, You can dump it into anything that supports MIDI, like Cubase, Sonor, Reason, etc. I'm not sure what you mean about EZDrummer, I thought it was a sample library like DFH. DFH has no programming abilities, only library access and mixing. You have to use it with another program that has MIDI capabilities - so color me confused.

I always plot beats out from memory, anyway. Mr. Ruonitb might have a better anwser for you, he uses EZDrummer.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #56
Metastasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antæos View Post
Off topic, but have you seen this one, Meta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4GKHXO_Jc
That's funny because I was just about to post that. It's awesome, but he lives in Louisiana. I'm not sure if the long distance can fit into the equation. But it would be awesome to play with this guy, he sounds like he could get it.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #57
parabola5353
> Afro Dog

max needz to maike sum tabz!!! and a lesson video, because that solo he did in your guys' live video is outstanding.
parabola5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:00 PM   #58
ChAAPY
it's one louder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metastasis View Post
Is Guitar Pro 5 MIDI? If so, You can dump it into anything that supports MIDI, like Cubase, Sonor, Reason, etc. I'm not sure what you mean about EZDrummer, I thought it was a sample library like DFH. DFH has no programming abilities, only library access and mixing. You have to use it with another program that has MIDI capabilities - so color me confused.

I always plot beats out from memory, anyway. Mr. Ruonitb might have a better anwser for you, he uses EZDrummer.
You can make your own drum track using EZDrummer I believe. I haven't used it but I was reading through the manual online and it has a section where it tells you how to make your own track. Maybe I'm wrong?

What I want to do is program the drums in Guitar Pro 5 (it's like powertab but with drums) and then save it as a MIDI file. then take that MIDI file and dump it into EZdrummer and use the samples in EZdrummer.

That's what I do in Fruity Loops, I just import the MIDI file I made in GP5 and I assign the key notes that trigger the samples and it plays what I wrote. I'm wondering if EZdrummer can do that too? I don't want to sequence/write drum patterns in EZdrummer, I want to import my MIDI file that I wrote in GP5.
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 AM   #59
Antæos

Quote:
That's funny because I was just about to post that. It's awesome, but he lives in Louisiana. I'm not sure if the long distance can fit into the equation. But it would be awesome to play with this guy, he sounds like he could get it.
Louisiana? Shoot, save the poor guy from being eaten by alligators. You'd be doing him a favor really. haha
Antæos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #60
ruonitb

Quote:
Sweet!

What? No top friends for Anomalous?!!!

Haha, just kiddking. Keep writing brutal shit.

haha, i changed that! ;)

you helped me a lot! :)

chaapy:

Iīm using ez drummer for about two months now (so Iīm more of a noob ;) ), but I know, which function of ez drummer you mean. Though, I never tried it and I donīt know if you can use midi files youīve loaded into the program yourself...maybe itīs only for the "midi-grooves" which are already in the program.
However, I doubt that the function (even if it works with the midi stuff from gp5) is good...as far as Iīve seen in the manual, itīs only a little sequenzer, with which you can put some different grooves together.

I suggest you to get used to cubase, itīs drumeditor is really simple and easy to use but still very good. Itīs easy to do velocity stuff there and programming is easier than in gp5 anyway...and you can be sure that it definitely works with ez drummer (as vsti ;) ) perfectly.

Just get cubase and ez drummer...if you have any questions considering cubase+ez drummer, Iīm sure I will be able to answer them!

Btw...imo cubase is way better than fl as well!

:)