SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Suffocation

Suffocation Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Punky Brewster

Ignorant Deprivation

I was lucky enough to have purchased BTS back in late '93, and instantly took a strong liking to ID. It is a song I have never become sick of (and I thrash albums ad nauseam).
I didn't ever consider (at the time) that the album had sound issues- I actually thought the guitar sound on EotC & ID was deliberate!
The song itself is quite melodic, with plenty of brutality.
Key points of interest-
0:00 opening blast beat
042 - 1:42 the work on the bass drum is almost the dominant force- most drummers would have been tempted to over-use the double bass drumming.
2:28 - 2:44 Blast beat
2:48 Drum roll
2:50 how slow and heavy can you get!
3:20 Introduction of slow, tortured bass melody, which drops down an octave (credit @humanpaste)
4:04 lyrical ending of the song, caught in the tempo change to the outro- my absolute favourite part of this song. On this, "... in a bed, of, dead roses" in the context of the song, is a fucking brilliant way to finish, complimented by a haunting melodic riff, and some solid drumming.

I would love to know what inspired the lyrics and mood of the song, and I'm pretty sure only Suffocation could produce a slow, melodic song, and have it sound even more brutall!

Looking back on BTS, I wouldn't change a fucking thing.

PS- is this the only Suffo song without a guitar solo?
PSS- sorry for the psycho-analysis, but I just need to share my love for this song!
Punky Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Ander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky Brewster View Post
I was lucky enough to have purchased BTS back in late '93, and instantly took a strong liking to ID. It is a song I have never become sick of (and I thrash albums ad nauseam).
I didn't ever consider (at the time) that the album had sound issues- I actually thought the guitar sound on EotC & ID was deliberate!
The song itself is quite melodic, with plenty of brutality.
Key points of interest-
0:00 opening blast beat
042 - 1:42 the work on the bass drum is almost the dominant force- most drummers would have been tempted to over-use the double bass drumming.
2:28 - 2:44 Blast beat
2:48 Drum roll
2:50 how slow and heavy can you get!
3:20 Introduction of slow, tortured bass melody, which drops down an octave (credit @humanpaste)
4:04 lyrical ending of the song, caught in the tempo change to the outro- my absolute favourite part of this song. On this, "... in a bed, of, dead roses" in the context of the song, is a fucking brilliant way to finish, complimented by a haunting melodic riff, and some solid drumming.

I would love to know what inspired the lyrics and mood of the song, and I'm pretty sure only Suffocation could produce a slow, melodic song, and have it sound even more brutall!

Looking back on BTS, I wouldn't change a fucking thing.

PS- is this the only Suffo song without a guitar solo?
PSS- sorry for the psycho-analysis, but I just need to share my love for this song!
Absolutely not, Suspended In Tribulation, Beginning Of Sorrow, Sullen Days, Rapture Of Revocation, The End Of Ends, Jesus Wept, Epitaph Of The Credulous (just a bass solo), Deceit, Souls To Deny, Dismal Dream, Habitual Infamy, Demise Of The Clone, Misconceived, Cataclysmic Purification has no soli (not sure at 100 % for Jesus, and The End) and probably I forget some other songs.
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Punky Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
Absolutely not, Suspended In Tribulation, Beginning Of Sorrow, Sullen Days, Rapture Of Revocation, The End Of Ends, Jesus Wept, Epitaph Of The Credulous (just a bass solo), Deceit, Souls To Deny, Dismal Dream, Habitual Infamy, Demise Of The Clone, Misconceived, Cataclysmic Purification has no soli (not sure at 100 % for Jesus, and The End) and probably I forget some other songs.
cheers- never looked to hard into it, just off the top of my head.
Punky Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote