SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Anata

Anata Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 06-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
paulrawnerve

the conductor's departure... what an album!!!

listened to it quite a few times so far since getting it for review.. fucking awesome work!!!
review will be up in the next day or so..
best anata work to date.
:hbang32en
paulrawnerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Antæos

Agree. It's the best album of the year for me, possibly the best deathmetal album of this decade.

It's seriously perfection.
Antæos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
sophist

Greetings all.

First time poster here. Been lurking for a week or so, managed to read pretty much everything on this fairly new board, and decided that, since Anata are quite possibly the best thing in the death metal world since sliced bread (and because the band - okay, Mr. Drake - drops in quite regularly) I'd sign up.

To make a long story a bit shorter: Yes, the new ablum absolutely smokes! The older stuff was killer, but "Conductor" is even better than "Stone" and is, in the opinion of this old Bay Area thrasher, one for the ages.

I've been listening to all things heavy for the last 20 years or so, and Anata have, quite simply, put it all together. Great metal music/bands need 3 things to really be special for me, and Anata's got them all, in spades. The first is instrumental proficiency and musical technicality. Without these things, anyone who's paying any real attention to the music will be bored stiff after a song or two. Take any mallcore band as an example of this. Needless to say, I'm never bored with Anata.

The second thing is genuine emotion/aggresion. This is the second thing that we all hate about mallcore and corprate music: the total lack of any REAL anger or emotion of any kind. This is of course the result of making "music" which means nothing to the "band", but is rather the invention of a producer intent on selling as many shitty cds to as many mindless kids as possible. Anata are genuinely pissed off, the songs are well thought out, and the music they make/lyrics they write obviously mean a hell of a lot to them. This emotional investment comes through to the listener and makes us all care about the music. In other words, Anata are saying something important to them both lyrically and musically, and they want us to hear it. No whining about what a bitch the singer's last girlfriend was here, folks.

Finally, the last element a song needs to really kick my ass is melody. I don't mean over the top cheese (see: almost every powermetal band in existance - and embarrassments like In Flames and Soilwork). What I mean is just enough hooks, riffs and WELL THOUGHT OUT solos to connect with the listener. Basically, having been raised on thrash, I have this totally irrational need to bang my fucking head and throw the horns. If a song fails to make me want to do that, it's DOA. Technicality without melody can be mind-blowing, but it doesn't MEAN anything to me. I won't remember the music 5 minutes after it's over. The song has to STICK. It has to be recognizable as a SONG. And it's the riffs, hooks and solos that make that possible - when they're good. And Anata's are damn good.

Sorry for the long post (English major...), but this band deserves it. Thanks for making some of the best music in years, guys!
sophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #4
Sculpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophist
What I mean is just enough hooks, riffs and WELL THOUGHT OUT solos to connect with the listener. Basically, having been raised on thrash, I have this totally irrational need to bang my fucking head and throw the horns.
Haven't you heard Soilwork's 2nd and 3rd albums? If you have and still stand by the above, you have some unusual standards...
Sculpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Dago

TRuly a surprise for me. The 1st album i have listened from anata.
Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
DeadInMagazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SculptedCold
Haven't you heard Soilwork's 2nd and 3rd albums? If you have and still stand by the above, you have some unusual standards...
Haha, yea, I think people really need to listen to more bands before they start talking shit about melodic dm bands and power metal.

Anyway, instead of a long winded post that no one cares about, I'll post my review on Metal InjectionI here pretty soon.
DeadInMagazines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
sophist

Yes, I'm into Soilwork's albums (up to NBC - the rest were too close to nu-metal in my opinion - even NBC gets on my nerves occasionally with those clean, sing-song choruses). Don't care much for In Flames: their music was a bit too sugar-coated from the beginning for my taste, and these days, no thanks. As for Soilwork's older stuff: yes, it's good, though it's pretty much straight At The Gates worship. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as it's done well (and yes, I'm aware of Anata's influences).

Early ATG is fantastic. "Slaughter" was dumbed down and commercialized, though still good, hence the much better album sales. And now, unfortunately, we have The Haunted...ugh...if that's thrash, I don't know what the world's coming to. If it's metal-core, it's weak, as well. God knows what it is, but I'll pass, thanks.

Suffice it to say I do like some melo-death and even power metal, as long as the cheese isn't too thick. Eucharist is great. So is recent Nevermore. So is EoS's "Crimson". Recycled Iron Maiden riffs, frilly keyboard solos, sing-along folk tunes and vocalists with their nuts in a vice don't make me want to run out and buy an album. However I can and do appreciate the amazing technical ability of some of the bands in those genres.

And at the end of the day, remember, it's just an opinion. It cool if you disagree. That's vital for music- for anything. Just keep an open mind and remember - if we all agree on music or anything else, the world would be pretty fucking boring. The "man, you suck!" comments one often hears among metalheads are worse than useless. If you think my opinion blows, you're certainly entitled to feel that way, but at least make an attempt to explain why.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
BZM
desolate

It's a shame that some people can't appreciate Slaughter of the Soul. Dumbed down is the wrong way to put it - more like greasing the wheels and dropping any unnecessary baggage. The album wasn't about being technical or gr1m... only rocking your face off with infectious and razor-sharp songs wound tighter than a straight jacket and grooving all over the place. Some of the grooviest (for lack of a better word) riffing I've ever heard has come from Slaughter of the Soul... a lot of their other albums sound as though they're meandering and don't quite know the direction they want to take their sound. With Slaughter, they found it.

Just my two cents.
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 25 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski
Yep, that's pretty much it. Unquestionably their best album with fuckin' excellent songwriting, riffing and adorable melodies.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
sophist

This is more like it. I think SotS could probably have a thread of its own. I may not like it as much as ATG earlier work - though I do think it's good, just not their best - and there is no denying the importance of the album.

And I do like "groovy" melo-death: one of my guilty pleasures is anything from The Crown (particularly "Crowned in Terror"). I just don't expect that sort of compact, polished sound from ATG. Obviously, it's not everyone's taste, but I happen to like all that "meandering"
Old 06-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Fractal_Mortality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZM
It's a shame that some people can't appreciate Slaughter of the Soul. Dumbed down is the wrong way to put it - more like greasing the wheels and dropping any unnecessary baggage. The album wasn't about being technical or gr1m... only rocking your face off with infectious and razor-sharp songs wound tighter than a straight jacket and grooving all over the place. Some of the grooviest (for lack of a better word) riffing I've ever heard has come from Slaughter of the Soul... a lot of their other albums sound as though they're meandering and don't quite know the direction they want to take their sound. With Slaughter, they found it.

Just my two cents.
I agree... It seems like SotS goes through periods or ridiculous amounts of praise and then periods of being overly criticized. It's a great album... Maybe not one of the best ever, but great... And that's regardless of what the proponents from either "period" may say.
Fractal_Mortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:56 AM   #12
BZM
desolate

Even if it's not one of the best albums ever, it certainly is one of the most influential albums ever recorded.
BZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
AnthonyB

The Conductor's Departure is a genious album. Thanks for raising the bar Anata, bands like you make it more fun to be a metal musician.
AnthonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
evanstueve

holy hell, well said Sophist.

*bow*
evanstueve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
Mister_Willy
Will

Wow, is it really that good??

I've listened to it about 25 times and I still like under a stone better. The album sounds great... but I still like the older stuff better!
Mister_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #16
Antæos

You have to not expect brutality from this record, heh... you're missing the mark quite a bit. :)
Antæos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #17
Sardonicus

BZM's post from the reviews thread nailed it. Mind-blowing, ground-breaking, absolutely fantastic album in every respect. Instant classic.
Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET

I was a big fan of Dreams Of Death And Dismay, but I found UASWNI got a bit boring after not too long (with the exception of a couple of songs). However, this album is more than a return to form, it keeps growing on me with each listen. In fact, it kicks arse. Very interesting album indeed.
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

I love all their stuff. Always have and always will.

One thing though... turn the drums up higher in the mix!
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
EchoesOfDecimation

I need to actually pick this up. I love it. So original sounding. The way they harmonize is really fucking cool and the drums...holy shit.
EchoesOfDecimation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #21
Phelps

i like it a lot too, specially the great juggler, but i'm with Mister_Willy, I prefer to listen to UASWNI.

it is more melodic and interestingly structured, but yeah can't put my finger on it.
Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #22
thebluelizard

yeah i pretty much agree. it is an awesome disc and one of the best of the year.
thebluelizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #23
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelps
it is more melodic and interestingly structured, but yeah can't put my finger on it.
Whaaat?
The Conductor's Departure is EXTREMELY melodic.....
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM   #24
emperadorXXIV

I'm a big fan of UASWNI, but I'm not sure I should get TCD because I've heard that the production is poor. I don't mean to sound superficial, but production is important for me. Any comments on the production of TCD?
emperadorXXIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #25
paulrawnerve

my review of it is here
http://www.rawnervepromotions.co.uk/...articleid=2437
i've not got a problem at all with the problem, i personally think it's a brilliant sound.
paulrawnerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #26
facelessunknown

Yeah Ten_Second_Infinity has it right.
The Conductor's Departure was incredibly melodic.
facelessunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 AM   #27
Mortuary

yeah killer album. totally suprised i had never heard them before........ keep it up fellas!
Mortuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #28
Silence Is Deafening

A very awesome album indeed... it's in my top 10 of the year.

I couldn't stop listening to it when I first bought it!

Last edited by Silence Is Deafening; 12-26-2006 at 05:44 PM..
Silence Is Deafening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #29
emperadorXXIV

just ordered TCD on earache.com.

I'll post my opinion when it comes. :)
Old 01-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #30
emperadorXXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Willy
...under a stone better. The album sounds great... but I still like the older stuff better!
Same. I love Under a Stone as it was the first Anata album I bought. It's actually a signed copy, which is kinda nice. ;)