SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 09-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
dmdrummer

Perfect Pitch

So, what are your guys opinion on this? There's tons of programs on the internet to supposedly teach you perfect pitch, yet a lot of people argue that you can only be born with perfect pitch, and you can't learn it. I've also heard the opposite, too. What do you guys think?
dmdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Willith
Banned

Jesus Christ....

You can't learn perfect pitch- you have to be born with it.
You can learn RELATIVE pitch. Although it is highly unlikely that "many programs on the internet" will be able to teach you.
This is not opinion, this is fact.

/thread
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Pwnsauce

perfect pitch would suck
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post
Jesus Christ....

You can't learn perfect pitch- you have to be born with it.
You can learn RELATIVE pitch. Although it is highly unlikely that "many programs on the internet" will be able to teach you.
This is not opinion, this is fact.

/thread
Actually, research into this subject has led to idea that it is very much a learned phenomena. They found that like 75% of Chinese, as in grew up in China/spoke a native language, music students had this ability and that only like 7% of Western music students had it. The theory is that their language is tonal. The pitch a word is spoken at implies as much meaning as the actual syllable spoken. It's kind of interesting actually.

If you're interested I could up the audio file of the radio program where this was discussed. I'm sure I have it somewhere around here. Let me know.
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
ChAAPY
it's one louder

@ Chilidem: did you get that info from radiolab?
ChAAPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Yngwie Malmsteen has perfect pitch. I doubt he learned it...
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilidem View Post
Actually, research into this subject has led to idea that it is very much a learned phenomena. They found that like 75% of Chinese, as in grew up in China/spoke a native language, music students had this ability and that only like 7% of Western music students had it. The theory is that their language is tonal. The pitch a word is spoken at implies as much meaning as the actual syllable spoken. It's kind of interesting actually.

If you're interested I could up the audio file of the radio program where this was discussed. I'm sure I have it somewhere around here. Let me know.
uh huh, uh huh...which music school did you go to again?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Djeez
Calisse

Quote:
Way to counter his valable argument with an egotistical self-glorifying answer.
Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
Pwnsauce

Quote:
lol
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeez View Post
Way to counter his valable argument with an egotistical self-glorifying answer.

You know if you're going to try to respond using a bunch of big words you don't fully understand, you may want to make sure they are words that even EXIST.

Edit- you're french, double fail. Why would you throw in french into a sentence full of English and expect anyone to understand it? What a fucking twat. (pardon my french...)

Last edited by Willith; 09-10-2009 at 01:27 AM..
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAAPY View Post
@ Chilidem: did you get that info from radiolab?
Yessir.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Quote:
This actually has very little to do with music. We're talking about perception and tone recognition. Take musical ability out of the equation as it's really not relevant in this argument. Face it, musicians aren't scientists.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #13
stabwound
Corpsefiend

You definitely don't have to be born with perfect pitch, at least from all I've heard/read. Early musical training and genetics help I think. My friend and his brother who both started playing piano at 3 have perfect pitch, but his other brother that didn't have any musical training doesn't.
stabwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Djeez
Calisse

Quote:
You know if you're going to try to respond using a bunch of big words you don't fully understand, you may want to make sure they are words that even EXIST.

Edit- you're french, double fail. Why would you throw in french into a sentence full of English and expect anyone to understand it? What a fucking twat. (pardon my french...)
Way to avoid his valable argument yet another time by pointing out that I'm french.

You know, I still haven't decided if you're a troll or a really, reaaally proud Berklee student.

Last edited by Djeez; 09-10-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilidem View Post
This actually has very little to do with music. We're talking about perception and tone recognition. Take musical ability out of the equation as it's really not relevant in this argument. Face it, musicians aren't scientists.
The point of that comment was that this was something discussed there on almost a weekly basis that I had to hear...for nearly FOUR YEARS. I had a solfege teacher who claimed to have relative pitch, when it was actually pretty close to perfect pitch. He said he wouldn't consider himself to have perfect pitch because it was something he really had to work on, he wasn't born with it, and he would be slower to recognize tones than someone with perfect pitch would be. However when put up against someone with perfect pitch he held his ground just fine. The guy was absolutely, mind-boggling, amazing. He's in some type of beat-box band that's HUGE in Japan. He does vocal guitar.

You cannot learn perfect pitch, you can only learn relative pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabwound View Post
You definitely don't have to be born with perfect pitch, at least from all I've heard/read. Early musical training and genetics help I think. My friend and his brother who both started playing piano at 3 have perfect pitch, but his other brother that didn't have any musical training doesn't.
And what you've heard/read is wrong. You cannot acquire perfect pitch. Musical training at an early age does not help- as ONCE AGAIN, it is something you are born with. Whether or not you have perfect pitch is what can be determined at a fairly young age, through musical training. Your story is of no relevance- not everybody who is related to someone with perfect pitch (or came out of the same pusssy) has perfect pitch. I don't know why you think they would.
I too have "read stories" about people with virtually no musical training, and very little interest in music, who have perfect pitch.

And let's not forget, there are TONS of people who claim to have perfect pitch, but in reality don't even have relative pitch. I'm friends with one, and embarrass him everytime he brings it up in front of me.

Last edited by Willith; 09-10-2009 at 06:28 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
FistedSister
Nilla

Yes, you have to be born with PERFECT pitch. You can learn to catch intervals through relativity, but you cannot learn perfect pitch.

How would you know when you have perfect pitch?

Going to the best music school in the World wouldn't get you perfect pitch.

I'm not going to throw my credentials out on the table - but any dude with a Masters in Jazz from a decent school will tell you it's impossible to pick it up.

It's also moderately useless if you can't play your instrument even at a novice level.
FistedSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 AM   #17
stabwound
Corpsefiend

Quote:
The point of that comment was that this was something discussed there on almost a weekly basis that I had to hear...for nearly FOUR YEARS. I had a solfege teacher who claimed to have relative pitch, when it was actually pretty close to perfect pitch. He said he wouldn't consider himself to have perfect pitch because it was something he really had to work on, he wasn't born with it, and he would be slower to recognize tones than someone with perfect pitch would be. However when put up against someone with perfect pitch he held his ground just fine. The guy was absolutely, mind-boggling, amazing. He's in some type of beat-box band that's HUGE in Japan. He does vocal guitar.

You cannot learn perfect pitch, you can only learn relative pitch.

And what you've heard/read is wrong. You cannot acquire perfect pitch. Musical training at an early age does not help- as ONCE AGAIN, it is something you are born with. Whether or not you have perfect pitch is what can be determined at a fairly young age, through musical training. Your story is of no relevance- not everybody who is related to someone with perfect pitch (or came out of the same pusssy) has perfect pitch. I don't know why you think they would.
I too have "read stories" about people with virtually no musical training, and very little interest in music, who have perfect pitch.

And let's not forget, there are TONS of people who claim to have perfect pitch, but in reality don't even have relative pitch. I'm friends with one, and embarrass him everytime he brings it up in front of me.

Lots of people think you have to be born with it. Lots of scientists think it is genetics/culture/early training. What you're saying isn't fact, so calm down.
stabwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
discombobulation
Decrepit Banana

Rep Power: 18 discombobulation beat up jewskidiscombobulation beat up jewski
quite offtopic but LOL @ Willith's irritable nature.
discombobulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
FecalFamine
This shit stinks

I believe you can learn perfect pitch. It just won't come to you as naturally as people who are born with it (duh).

I don't have it, but I can damn near always hear a C note (when played by itself) whenever it's played. I can do this because I can remember what the middle C on piano sounds like. But in practical circumstances (like a melody) I can't tell my elbow from my sphincter.

But I've hardly worked on perfect pitch.. just saying I BELIEVE!!!

Has anyone tried just listening to a note (looped) during their sleep?
FecalFamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
Phoncible

Quote:
Originally Posted by discombobulation View Post
quite offtopic but LOL @ Willith's irritable nature.
sig says it all :o

would be interesting to to see some studies who support the facts presented..
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #21
GrindYourMind
Jedi Master

This is the saddest fucking thing I've ever read.
GrindYourMind is offline   Reply With Quote