SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 12-02-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Beginning drumming

Any tips or exercises for a drummer just starting out? What kind of stuff should I start working with? Any kind of tabs or whatever would be great.

I have very poor limb independence. My legs want to go with the same rhythm as my hands. Any exercises to improve this?
Chilidem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
DeathMachineGun

find a pair of sticks that feel comfortable to you, buy a metronome, and go and buy the book "stick control" - by George Lawrence Stone. then master the book. almost every hand exercise in that book can be transfered to feet. if you can get you feet doing all of that too then there wont be much you cant handle in time. once you get a good grasp on that book check out "accents and rebounds" by George as well, for more indepth exercises and different control.

start out with the metronome on slow. maybe 100-120bps start out slow and gradualy build speed. keep increasing speed till you start to slightly fall off timing, then back off a bit till you are back on time and consistant. then just make it burn!! slowly backing back off the speed to a slower roll. stop here and there and shake your arms out etc etc. ALWAYS be sure to stay in timing with the metronome though. as soon as you go off, either slow down till you are back on or just take a break. that should get you going.'

im sure actual drummers could give more info. but i did play for a number of years a while back. >:)
DeathMachineGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Defleshuary
-

The Stone book is seriously one of the best drum books EVER. Also, seriously get a metronome. If you become friends with it early it will help you so much.
Defleshuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Chilidem
Sicknessament

Thanks, guys. I'll check it out.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #5
MadMike666
Senor LoveDaddy

The best tip is: practice. Alot. It will not come overnight, you will get frustrated, and you will suck for a while.

Then you will start to think you've turned the corner, and are starting to sound good. You're not. You still suck.

Then you'll start really getting the hang of it, realize what is really possible on the instrument, and then you'll think you suck again. You're actually probably pretty good then. But good enough to know humility. Expect it to take years to get to that point.
MadMike666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
MustangMan311
Very Original Avatar

As a bassist, I can firmly say that if you don't have your rhythm down, I don't, even if it's subconscious. Get that shit down perfect- You control the band with it.
MustangMan311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
ibz_rg
Fred Fredburger

Also, the Derek Roddy videos on Youtube are quite helpful. I'm at school right now (gay ass hcca block), but I'll post them when I get home. They have increased my speed and hit strength insanely. I do them for about a half hour a day, the rest being learning songs and such.
ibz_rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
KeyserSoze

I haven't seen all of the Roddy vids but I bet a lot of them are a little too advanced for a beginner. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

The Stick Control book by Stone is great. and boring. and hard. and frustrating. and boring. I just started working on it and I've been playing for a long time.

Quote:
The best tip is: practice. Alot. It will not come overnight, you will get frustrated, and you will suck for a while.

Then you will start to think you've turned the corner, and are starting to sound good. You're not. You still suck. Then you'll start really getting the hang of it, realize what is really possible on the instrument, and then you'll think you suck again. You're actually probably pretty good then. But good enough to know humility. Expect it to take years to get to that point.
That process will repeat until you die. There will always be someone somewhere that can do it better faster and cleaner, no matter what you are talking about. Especially with metal drumming.

Chilidem, try this out for starters. Rudiments are your friend. Once you think you are hot shit, start doing them with your feet. http://www.vicfirth.com/education/index.html
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
gloobygloob

i recommend killing yourself. or going back in time 6 years and start then.
gloobygloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
KeyserSoze

because that would be a lot easier than just practicing......
Old 12-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
blooddrunk
contagion

syncopation is a awesome book as well as stick control. a book i would recomend for increase in independence would be marco minnemans book extreme interdependence not much of a begginners book but the first chapter called "warm-up" will seriously increase you interdepence. once you get later into the book it gets stupid hard but if you could learn some of the stuff you would become savage.
blooddrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
KeyserSoze

I'll pick that one up even though this isn't my thread. Sounds like something I would love until it pisses me off and I shred the book. Literally. I didn't know Minneman even had a book....
Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
ibz_rg
Fred Fredburger

Here's the Roddy exercise videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFEP...eature=related

They're very helpful. Atleast they were for me. Helped with my wrist/arm strength and endurance.
ibz_rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #14
scheeOHlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike666 View Post
Then you will start to think you've turned the corner, and are starting to sound good. You're not. You still suck.
Very wise words.
scheeOHlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:32 AM   #15
MadMike666
Senor LoveDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheeOHlee View Post
Very wise words.
I saw written on George Kollias' snare drum head "Remember, you suck."

If you ever think you've mastered an instrument, you've failed to do exactly that.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
KeyserSoze

Quote:

If you ever think you've mastered an instrument, you've failed to do exactly that.
I'm going to write that on my snare head the first time I even start to think I'm good. It's a waste right now because I'm reminded how bad I suck every time I practice blasting, which is every day.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
Chilidem
Sicknessament

I got "Stick Control" a few days ago. My wrists definitely need to build more strength as they get fatigued pretty easily doing those exercises. I can tell already that I am starting to building more feel with my hands. I have one problem while trying to work some of these with my feet. I have trouble staying balanced. When I kick with one foot, I tend to anchor and balance off that foot. But for that split second (it actually longer than that if I am going slow) where both feet are back I tend to lose my balance. I can minimize this by keeping my foot that just struck the bass drum down while the other foot is on it's way down to strike. This seems like I would have some trouble getting speed as this is not very economical. Anyone else have this problem initially?

I hope I explained that well enough.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
Cammenta
Ant of the Sky

Quote:

Too true dude! I'll never think I've mastered drumming...........never!
Cammenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:02 AM   #19
Adagio
Jesus Shaves

Metronome is key. I do not practice without it.
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
Cammenta
Ant of the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Metronome is key. I do not practice without it.
Don't judge me on this, but I've never practiced with a metronome, nor ever played to one and I have never encountered a problem with keeping time. Timing is something I am very good at, and not having a metronome has not hampered my playing whatsoever. I like doing very creative things in my playing, especially creative fills because I can't stand doing tom rolls, they bore me to tears. I will admit though, that metronomes are a very, very good tool when it comes to playing and practicing.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
MadMike666
Senor LoveDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammenta View Post
Don't judge me on this, but I've never practiced with a metronome, nor ever played to one and I have never encountered a problem with keeping time. Timing is something I am very good at, and not having a metronome has not hampered my playing whatsoever. I like doing very creative things in my playing, especially creative fills because I can't stand doing tom rolls, they bore me to tears. I will admit though, that metronomes are a very, very good tool when it comes to playing and practicing.
Not judging you dude, but you never know how good your timing is UNTIL you play with a metronome. Also, if you plan on going into a studio, most producers will insist you play to a click. If you can't play to a click, you'll have a helluva time. You can have excellent time without one, but playing with a click in your ear is not something you just sit down the first time and do. It takes practice. It's an essential skill if you plan on recording.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:54 AM   #22
Cammenta
Ant of the Sky

My band should be recording within the next year, an album that is. The studio where we're hoping to do it at will have a click track. I dont think I'll have a hard time playing to a click though, if anything, it will help me more.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #23
InertialGrind

Playing to a click is very different. A good friend of mine who is an amazing drummer(who will go unnamed because the elitists will call it name dropping) in only simple signatures. Played on some pretty big name albums and never ever practices to a click. Which is such a drag on what he`s capable of.
InertialGrind is offline   Reply With Quote