SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Adagio
Jesus Shaves

Trigger Suggestion?

I'm wanting to purchase a trigger setup for my drums. I don't have a shitload of money to spend so I cannot afford to get an Axis with the eKit triggers on them. I currently have an Iron Cobra which works fine for what I do. But when I do 16ths between 200-240 I get some issues, and its effecting the practice environment (me wanting to clean up my playing + band members hearing it). I have only one bass drum and I've heard there's problems calibrating the triggers to it. Any suggestions?
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
MadMike666
Senor LoveDaddy

What issues do you have?
MadMike666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
TheAlphaBreed
Never Ending.

I've never had any problems with my single bassdrum, triggering with just a Roland Kick Trigger and an Alesis DM5 module. 200+ was picking up fine.

But, I have two bassdrums now.
TheAlphaBreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Adagio
Jesus Shaves

Well, its just preference, not issues really. I would just rather be able to hear my kick drum clearly when I'm playing to clean it up. No "issues" per se, but just a concern. Also for live environment (unless someone would like to convince me how it is not necessary)

I'm mainly looking for the best trigger + module setup ASIDE from the Axis + eKit. Just for the bass drum, I don't need triggers for the toms.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
MadMike666
Senor LoveDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Well, its just preference, not issues really. I would just rather be able to hear my kick drum clearly when I'm playing to clean it up. No "issues" per se, but just a concern. Also for live environment (unless someone would like to convince me how it is not necessary)

I'm mainly looking for the best trigger + module setup ASIDE from the Axis + eKit. Just for the bass drum, I don't need triggers for the toms.
Well, everybody in the universe (except for me) uses the Alesis DM5, so def start there.

I could never get the Red Shot triggers to work right, either didn't trigger, or double triggered. I found triggers to be a royal pain in the ass. I'd get them dialed in at home, then when playing with the band they were all over the place due to the extra vibrations from the bass, etc.

I got my Axis pedals and eKits, and they've worked like a champ. If you are dead set against the Axis, try the Roland, I've heard good things.

And yes, triggers will def help you tighten up your playing. I gaurantee you, your feet suck ass, you just don't know it yet without the triggers. Mine did, and playing with the trigs has drastically improved my playing.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
Adagio
Jesus Shaves

What module do you use? I just need a good bass drum sound. Does eKit have a module with it?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
MadMike666
Senor LoveDaddy

Everyone uses the Alesis, so I'd go with that. I use the Yamaha DTXtreme IIS. I like it, but I'd rather have the Alesis for gigging as it's smaller and you can rack mount it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
Adagio
Jesus Shaves

So I got the setup. It works pretty well actually...but I am not sure if I am gonna stay with the ddrum. It works most of the time but I dont know if its my feet sucking or the trigger but the 16ths above 200 BPM skips some notes or misses a hit. I'm going to try to mess around with it but if there are any suggestions regarding the roland trigger OR people who have had success with the ddrum triggers. That would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 AM   #9
Jeremy.

I was thinking about suggesting them to my drummer, as we find it hard to hear his bass drum in a jam setting. But, I don't quite understand it to much. Correct me if I'm wrong... you need the trigger or whatever it is on the bass drum, and it gets ran through a module/preamp into a PA? Is that basically how it is set up? Or is there more to it then that?
Jeremy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
embryonicdrums

Try messing with the V. Curve setting, the gain setting, and other available adjustments. It will be a pain at first, but you'll eventually find the correct setting for the trigger you are using. Too much gain and you'll double trigger, too little and your hits won't always be picked up by the module.

I use the old Alesis D4 module, basically the old version of the DM-5. I have my gain set at 35, and my V.curve set at 6. But the DM-5 is a bit different, you might have to have the gain turned up a bit more.

And I know from experience that the DM-5 works better on single kick than the D4 does, regarding double triggering/misses and shite...but the D4 has some better kick samples on it.
embryonicdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
embryonicdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy. View Post
I was thinking about suggesting them to my drummer, as we find it hard to hear his bass drum in a jam setting. But, I don't quite understand it to much. Correct me if I'm wrong... you need the trigger or whatever it is on the bass drum, and it gets ran through a module/preamp into a PA? Is that basically how it is set up? Or is there more to it then that?
You got it. Trigger, mounted on drum, is patched to the module. The output from the module goes to your mixer. Nice and easy, just stare at the back of the trigger brain for a minute, and you'll see pretty quick how it's set up.
embryonicdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
Adagio
Jesus Shaves

Everything works great now. I just got a bad trigger. But its good now. Hail triggering! I got compliments on my past two shows.