Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Impaled
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Impaled Website

Old 11-02-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
El-Heino
EM-Guld

El-Heino beat up john dwyer
Death After Life ... !!!

Yo! None of you freaks mentioned (or didn't you notice?) that the lyrics of the upcoming album are available on-line on the new site!

A nice read; I'm proud of Mr Sewage, seems like he got his ugly mug all over this new baby!!! Now I just have to tap my desk as I sing along and try to imagine what the music is gonna be like! :)

Eso!!!!
El-Heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
nuyensbart

nuyensbart slam gang member
Re: Death After Life ... !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by El-Heino
Yo! Now I just have to tap my desk as I sing along and try to imagine what the music is gonna be like! :)

Eso!!!!
:D

LOL
nuyensbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
El-Heino
EM-Guld

How about that new album cover!!!

Indeed, this is working up to be a great album. March countdown is long though... sniff!!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
Reincremation
deranged from bud

Reincremation beat up john dwyer
I'm refraining from reading the lyrics - Ross is one of the best DM lyricists that I have come across and I want to read the lyrics for the first time while listening to the CD.
Reincremation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 PM   #5
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

NRWDM_Markus slam gang member
Yeah, "Death after life" as a killer album! I listened to it just for a few times, but it's excellent!

I don't like the cover art that much though, I've seen better cover artworks from Impaled, Ghoul and Exhumed.

This time I really hope that Impaled finally get the chance to come to Europe...
NRWDM_Markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
MonsieurPungent
www.nrwdeathmetal.de

MonsieurPungent slam gang member
oh fucking YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you need to come to europe!!!!!!!!!!!!
MonsieurPungent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
El-Heino
EM-Guld

Quote:
I really hope there'll be a European tour this time.
Markus, tell that to the USA (and EU/Shengen) immigration authorities... It is mostly (only?) due to them that Impaled has not had a chance to grace these "shores" as of yet. Hopefully 2005 will be the year!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
bloodytear
Uncle Sexy!

bloodytear slam gang member
Quote:
Originally posted by Reincremation
Any chance of a US tour with Exhumed?
That would be insane
bloodytear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:08 AM   #9
MonsieurPungent
www.nrwdeathmetal.de

damn its suxx...i´m a huge IMPALED supporter and i was expecting an album in the vain of mondo medicale and the last split...but as i got the new cd, i have to say that it totally suck!! really...weak production, no typical impaled trademarks, no rough deathmetal sound , and some fucking keyboards and phrases in it which i cant understand...i´m very very dissapointed, so are some other people here in europe who got the promo!!!hope you´re finding back to the right way!!but nevertheless, i´m still supporting impaled and fucking hope youre coming to germany again...
Old 01-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Reincremation
deranged from bud

I won't judge before I hear. Maybe they went heartwork on us.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:18 AM   #11
El-Heino
EM-Guld

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodbath McGrath
Anyway, the album sounds nothing like Heartwork
I don't think he meant that "it sounded like Heartwork". He probably referred to the drastic change in direction (or perhaps, "evolution") that Carcass clearly took between Necroticism and said album, and extrapolated it for a possible similar change/evolution in Impaled. Maybe?

Quote:
We're in a forward progression and we're not interested in moving back and doing the same boring album over and over.
Unfortunately, the metal-genre is renowned for being populated with fans that expect continuity, rather than progression. Don't want to stir up shit, but Iron Maiden is an example of a band that clearly got trapped within their own style. They were (and still are) selling LOADS of records by always re-hashing pretty much the same stuff, over and over. Maiden's fans clearly sent a signal to the band that they would not tolerate "change" - and the band had a choice...please them (the ones giving them the $$$), or be arty and do their own thing... You know what they chose to do!

Unfortunately, most metal bands that try to be different with each release see their fan-base desert them. Unless, their very core is about being different and progressing. In which case, the fans EXPECT evolution with each release... Not many of those out there, though. Opeth, Gorguts... not many.

That said, my first criticism of Gutless is that it sounds possibly too much like Mondo...
:D
Old 01-31-2005, 05:25 AM   #12
El-Heino
EM-Guld

Quote:
It's too bad that the guy above you found it disappointing
A clear example of the curse that the internet has brought to the world of music: We've had to take the positive aspects of cheaper communication, promotion and reaching out - with the pretty miserable element that, now, EVERYBODY (anybody) can make his singular opinion known worldwide. One guy slags off the album and everybody gets to read about his one view.

At least, in the past, you only had to "make love" to the press (to get good reviews). Now, you need to be an internet whore - he he he !!!

Interesting that this guy's main criticism was that he was expecting the new stuff to sound like the last few records... Says a lot about his "foreward-looking" tastes... Ahem!

Anyway, just get your asses to Europe, and bring over Ghoul while you're at it. Fuck!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:10 AM   #13
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

Quote:
Interesting that this guy's main criticism was that he was expecting the new stuff to sound like the last few records... Says a lot about his "foreward-looking" tastes... Ahem!
B]
Well, that's not just some guy... ;-) he's quite an important person in the German underground scene...

Anyway, the album will be out soon and I'm sure a lot of people will love it. From what I've heard so far the reviews in some of the bigger magazines here in Germany weren't that good, maybe even bad... but keeping in mind that Impaled is way too extreme for most magazines that's not bad at all...

Hehe, when I was younger I was always looking at the albums which got bad reviews and rankings... ;-)
Old 02-17-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

Quote:
In my experience there aren't any "important people" in the Death Metal scene. I've seen tons of good reviews so far, and only a few bad ones. We got bad reviews on Mondo Medicale too, big deal. Not everyone can recognize genius when they hear it.

Well, he's setting up awesome shows and without him the scene in our area just wouldn't be the same... you just need people who're active and supporting brutal music by setting up shows. I'm pretty sure he'll do an Impaled show when you'll come to Europe, that club is probably the best in Germany!

About the reviews, I was talking about the big German magazines like Metal Hammer and Rock Hard. A band like Impaled just won't get good reviews there (now!), but the Death and Grind fanzines and webzines will probably write good reviews, unless they don't like the 'evolution' of Impaled.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Jan is doing a great job in promoting the record in Europe, so I think this will be Impaled's most successful year in Europe... you just need a damn tour...
Old 02-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #15
El-Heino
EM-Guld

Quote:
In my experience there aren't any "important people" in the Death Metal scene.
I totally agree. However, the internet has made it so much easier for a single person's view to get out there and reach everyone... and people are so "sway-able" these days.

Plus, the "impersonalism" of the internet makes it such an easy place to foment negativity and pessimism (nasty human traits that lurk under the surface of human character). The only thing I ever read these days is dissing, back-stabbing gossip. It does get so demoralising. I'm sure you agree.

That said, Mondo Medicale impressed me SO much that I will automatically give Impaled my bucks for this newie. Though, I must warn that upon hearing Mondo Medicale, I said immediately: "This is Impaled's masterpiece, the probably will never top this one". And I would have advised you this: "Don't even try to top it - move on and see where it takes you." Good luck.

I'll get off my soapbox now...thank you.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #16
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

Quote:
I totally agree. However, the internet has made it so much easier for a single person's view to get out there and reach everyone... and people are so "sway-able" these days.

Plus, the "impersonalism" of the internet makes it such an easy place to foment negativity and pessimism (nasty human traits that lurk under the surface of human character). The only thing I ever read these days is dissing, back-stabbing gossip. It does get so demoralising. I'm sure you agree.

That said, Mondo Medicale impressed me SO much that I will automatically give Impaled my bucks for this newie. Though, I must warn that upon hearing Mondo Medicale, I said immediately: "This is Impaled's masterpiece, the probably will never top this one". And I would have advised you this: "Don't even try to top it - move on and see where it takes you." Good luck.

I'll get off my soapbox now...thank you.

Well, I think everybody who comes to shows and buys the records is important. Without the people who support the scene there would be none, but without people who're setting up shows and give bands some exposure one of the basics of a scene would be non-existent.

Anyway, that was not meant as person XY doesn't like the new Impaled therefore it will fail in today's market for Death/Grind. That's bullshit.
It's just better to say "XY said" instead of "that dude". Anyway, I get your points about "important people" the way you meant them, coz Death Metal isn't pop music nor pushed by the media. There's no mogul who pulls the strings.

My intention was just to say "it's not just a dude, but someone who contributes a lot to the worldwide Death/Grind undergroundscene", that's it.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #17
Reincremation
deranged from bud

Quote:
Originally posted by Crucified Coma
I've never really been a big fan, but I'm enjoying the new CD.

I hear they might be playing here in May with Aborted/Leng Tch'e/Rotten Sound. That'd be pretty fucking awesome if it works out. :)
That would be a pretty amazing tour package.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #18
NRWDM_Markus
Pancake Professional

Quote:
Servas Markus,
It is a quite strange argument you are getting yourself into there. Call him "Some Guy" was not to offend him (I don't know his name, just that he may like Pungent Stench or Pathology Stench), so I call him "dude".

That said, you must agree that it is quite awkward of him to come on here and post his somewhat bashing views of the new album on the Impaled forum (especially at such an early time in the life of this release). What kind of purpose does that have; especially in light of the influence you say he has on the German Underground...

Have you thought about that?

Yeah, you're right that it's not nice to post something like that on the official message board before the album is released and before the 'masses' get the chance to listen to it to build up their own opinion.

Anyway, it's still freedom of speech and there will always be negative views on albums. It's good to see that Impaled doesn't censor such stuff as other bands might do though.

The purpose? Maybe it was to tell Impaled to release something like "Mondo Medicale" again. Well, I think they should just continue with their improvements and progress. I like it that way and it's far from whimping out or changing their style to sell more records. To me it's still 100% Impaled and I'm not such a great Impaled supporter as Mr.Pungent... ;-)

About the keyboards... I was expecting something like that sooner or later, coz Exhumed had done that with "Vagitarian" and I loved that song. And since Ross is an ex-Exhumed member I think it's fine to use keyboards in one song.

I'm a huge Maiden fan, but I refused to buy "Dance of Death" due to the horrible cover art and I didn't even listen to the album because of that. That may sound silly, but I just want to get the complete package. That may be the same with some Impaled fans who worship the older stuff and don't accept any changes. In 98 I saw Golem (GER) live and there was a fan who just knew the demo and the 7" and was totally pissed of by their 'melodic' pussy metal (and that was when "Eternity: The weeping horizons" was released!!!!") You can't please all.

All in all I think that the majority likes the new album, and I'm just talking about the fans, not the media.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #19
sewage666

sewage666 slam gang member
Hahah... this is hilarious. I remember when Mondo came out and me and Sean just kept reading about how much people hated it, and years later, we're supposed to sound just like it.

I guess in two years maybe some people will love the new one.

I was fully prepared for people to hate it... I think we tried to go for a more organic death metal sound, before everything was triggered, and songs each had a personality all their own. In some ways, we regressed.

I encourage people who think it stinks to say so. Why not? If this fella from Germany (who still stated he supported us, which was awfully nice) is compelled to come here and react, that's awesome! I'm way more interested in causing a reaction than just being ignored.

I've heard a lot of people say it's our best ever, and a lot say it's garbage. If they were saying, "It's okay, no biggee" then I would be bummed.
sewage666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #20
Reincremation
deranged from bud

I know you guys hate the Carcass comparisons, but to me it's extremely similar to Heartwork in music and production, just like how Mondo Medicale resembled Necroticism.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #21
sewage666

sewage666 slam gang member
Quote:
I know you guys hate the Carcass comparisons, but to me it's extremely similar to Heartwork in music and production, just like how Mondo Medicale resembled Necroticism.
Carcass comparisons are fine... I mean, for pete's sake, we even name our solos.

I just wish people would be more consistent with their "clone" name-calling... Morbid Angel begat Nile as much as Suffocation begat Deeds of Flesh as much as Carcass begat Impaled... but you never hear those other bands called on it.
sewage666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #22
Bloodbath McGrath

Bloodbath McGrath slam gang member
Quote:
I respectfully disagree. If it sounded like Heartwork I doubt so many people would be bagging on the production. The music doesn't sound like Heartwork at all to me. Way less flowery. Maybe Preservation of Death does sound a bit like Blind Bleeding the Blind. I was trying to write a Helmet song. I think Carcass were too. Go figure.
Bloodbath McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #23
MonsieurPungent
www.nrwdeathmetal.de

hell yeah...i´m the speaker of the german underground, haha...dude, it was never my aim to say something bad or worse about impaled in their official forum...i posted only my thoughts as i first heard their new cd, nothing more...cause of my post all the metalheads in the hole NRW area (the state where i´m living), fuck no, no metalhead in whole germany will buy the new cd, what a bullshit!! it has nothing to do with being smart in a official band forum...sure i can make post like "oh i fucking love impled and everything they put out in the past" or " gimme your underwear" like many people are doing it here in the several forums...

for impaled...i listened to the new one about 100 times now and i must say that it is a good album, i resepct the developement (i love the "swansongs" album very much), "death after life" is a very good one but i dont like the sound. i hope that impaled are getting their asses here to europe this year, life from century media knows about it...c´mon guys, do it...fear and love europe!!
Old 03-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #24
MonsieurPungent
www.nrwdeathmetal.de

swansongs by carcass, not by impaled, haha, dont think about it
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #25
Toxic Shock

Toxic Shock slam gang member
Just bought Death After Life yesterday. I think it's pretty damn good! The little voice over interludes are hilarious, and the music as awesome. Now Just bring that tour with Engorged and LordGore over to the east coast...or else.
Toxic Shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #26
El-Heino
EM-Guld

Well, some more reviews are coming out now. Just spotted that stinky Teufel has put his up on-line.

Wow, for once he's dished out a pretty good review (certainly by his standards!), here's the link:

http://www.teufelstomb.com/reviews/impaled05.html

...now this means it is gonna sell like hot cakes!

Old 04-05-2005, 07:00 AM   #27
El-Heino
EM-Guld

FINALLY...got my hands on the new album (long story).

Given it a fair few spins already. I'm reasonably satisfied; the music has evolved again into something sufficiently different than their previous efforts. In my opinion, I put it down mostly to the melodies; whilst DSDR had certain Swedish references and Mondo was more reminiscent of mid-era Carcass melodicism, newie Death After Life overall has its own unique melodic signature - hard to pin down, certainly not predictable nor intuitive. Makes for a slightly difficult yet intriguing listen.

Drum sound is really natural this time around too. A nice touch. And those occasional string-parts (violin, cello, etc) add to create a cool eerie/horror vibe. Me likes.

P.S. Lou, I checked out the art/work on your website. Wow, you're a bit of a legend, ey!
Old 04-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #28
Lou RUSCONI

Lou RUSCONI slam gang member
Quote:

P.S. Lou, I checked out the art/work on your website. Wow, you're a bit of a legend, ey!
Thanks for checking out the website!:D I'm no legend, but thanks! I do consider myself very lucky to have worked with a lot of groups I admire and who I consider legends, especially Impaled! I agree with your comments on the new disc too.
Lou RUSCONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #29
Casketcrusher666

Casketcrusher666 slam gang member
So far I like the CD. There is only two problems I have with it.

1.) The Production: Mondo Medicale was sharp, and clear but Death After Life seems really muffled. Honestly when I heard the first song I was trying to see if my ears were pluged. It sounds like everything is underwater. You can not hear Raul's bass drums, the bass and when the keyboards (for which I actually like the idea) come in on the 2nd refrain of Gutless it overrides the other instruments (eccept the snare drum and crash and ride cymbals). I mean the keyboard is a cool idea but it just turned out to make a big noisy mess.

2.) The songs off of Mondo Medicale were wicked. They each had their own little story to tell. I love the feeling I get when I put in Mondo Medicale, or an Engorged, Ghoul or Frightmare CD. It's like I'm reading one of those old Horror comic books like Tales From The Crypt or Vault of Horror and every song is their own little tale of terror. They stand out from each other and each have their own trademarks. The songs on Death After Life sorta have it but not as much. It just seems to sound really similar rather than each being unique.

I mean Death After Life is a wicked album song, lyrics and guitar wise. But the production throws me off. Well at least it's not as bad as the production on The Dead Shall Dead Remain. The tones are really bad on that album. Same with Exhumed-Gore Metal. On each bands first album Exhumed went for a more bassy sound and Impaled went for a more trebley sound.

Anyway. Death After Life is good but Mondo Medicale is still my all time favourite. Death After Life would have been wicked if it sounded like (obviously a more progressed) Mondo Medicale with keyboards. Now that would be wicked.
Casketcrusher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #30
impaledaxbx

impaledaxbx slam gang member
i fucking LOVE you guys. Rock on niggaz!
impaledaxbx is offline   Reply With Quote