SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Exhumed

Exhumed Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Casketcrusher666

Amp Settings

Hey I was just wondering what settings you guys use on your amps.
Casketcrusher666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
connelldestructo

we play at 11
connelldestructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
del Müerte
You besta MODERATE, fool!

Try to turn down the suck and turn up the gain, but at the end of every set, the suck is back on 11.

Actually, we're all big fans of midrange, and if you're EQ settings look like a smiley face, you're doing it wrong!!
del Müerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Harvey

On a 5150, it's approx:
Low: 2:00
Mid: 12:00
High: 1:00
Presence: 3:00
the other one next to presence: 3:00
Pre-Gain: maxed out
Post Gain: 10:00 or 11:00
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
zweer

Quote:
Originally posted by del Müerte

Actually, we're all big fans of midrange, and if you're EQ settings look like a smiley face, you're doing it wrong!!
So true, the most common mistake by metal guitarists.

It may sound cool when you're playing by yourself, but when the drums and bass kicks in your tone loses every definition and you wind up sounding like a souped up vacuüm cleaner.

I myself prefer to use lower gain settings on the pre-amp and turn the poweramp all the way up, this way you get that great output tubes saturation, still distorted but with much more definition

But I think most of the tone comes from the player's hands.

Last edited by zweer; 08-16-2005 at 06:12 PM..
zweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Don't Waste Gore

This thread is kinda funny.
Don't Waste Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
Casketcrusher666

Quote:
Originally posted by zweer
So true, the most common mistake by metal guitarists.

It may sound cool when you're playing by yourself, but when the drums and bass kicks in your tone loses every definition and you wind up sounding like a souped up vacuüm cleaner.

I myself prefer to use lower gain settings on the pre-amp and turn the poweramp all the way up, this way you get that great output tubes saturation, still distorted but with much more definition

But I think most of the tone comes from the player's hands.
Very true. The scooped sound only sounds good at a low volume but when you turn your amp up....crap! I've always wondered why Pat from Cannibal Corpse still scoops his mids when playing live.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #8
Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Harvey
On a 5150, it's approx:
Low: 2:00
Mid: 12:00
High: 1:00
Presence: 3:00
the other one next to presence: 3:00
Pre-Gain: maxed out
Post Gain: 10:00 or 11:00
You guys use a 5150? hmmm I saw different here in Dallas. Good to see you here Matt. I'm curious as to what your new guitarist uses, I remember when I saw Uphill Battle he was using a Mark 4
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
Harvey

Wes, our new guitarist, uses an old Marshall JCM 800 with a distortion pedal. Depending on the tour I've used different amps as necessary, but the only amp I've owned since the mid 90s is a 5150 (about 4 of them now!). I'm not sure what kind of tone settings Wes uses, but he has a really bright and clear tone. And his amp is ridiculously loud!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
zweer

Quote:
Originally posted by Harvey
Wes, our new guitarist, uses an old Marshall JCM 800 ... And his amp is ridiculously loud!
Hahaha, that's a JCM 800 indeed!!!

Cranck up the master volume and hear the monster RRRROARRRRR!!!
zweer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Casketcrusher666

Quote:
Originally posted by zweer
Hahaha, that's a JCM 800 indeed!!!

Cranck up the master volume and hear the monster RRRROARRRRR!!!
I heard good things about a Mashall JCM 2000 as well. Is the JCM 800 better?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 AM   #12
Grindchord

JCM 800 AMP SETTINGZ

Amp(1989 JCM 800 2210 head):
Bass:10
Mid:5
Treble:3-5
Presence:0
Gain:10
"Boost" channel Volume:10
Master:3-5,after that you just get power tube drive,not volume

Pedal(Boss SD-1 Overdrive):
Level:10
Tone:10
Drive:0

That's how I set the stuff for Exhumed,in case anybody wants to know haha!
And I use a Dean '79 Series Z explorer-type guitar with a Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup in the bridge.And I use a Kahler Tremelo bridge,becuase it has more up-pull on the bar and stays in tune better than a floyd rose trem.My tone is more organic,bity,and cutting than Harvey's.....sort of like old thrash metal,where it is all pick attack.But I crank the mids,that's real important! I use the pedal only to BOOST the amp,not as my distortion.I get most of it from the amp,it's sort of like an "eq" for the amp distortion.....makes it heavier.And I use an old JCM 800 4x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers......those things sound awesome,really warm,not too bright,and lots of bass!

Hope this helps! See ye all on the road somewhere!

WC
Grindchord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
Casketcrusher666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindchord
.And I use a Kahler Tremelo bridge,becuase it has more up-pull on the bar and stays in tune better than a floyd rose trem.
Yeah I heard Kahlers are a lot better than Floyds as well. I am going to install one on my Ibanez. Um are they easier to change strings as well?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:49 AM   #14
diabolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher666
Yeah I heard Kahlers are a lot better than Floyds as well. I am going to install one on my Ibanez. Um are they easier to change strings as well?
The Kahler I have isn't double locking, but I don't know if all of them are like that - I've never seen anyone else with one. The only locking nut is at the bridge, so you don't have to clip the ball of the end of the strings (in fact, they need to be there to stay in the bridge). My Kahler is way smoother than the floyd roses I have on other guitars. So overall in my opinion, if you have a choice - go with the Kahler. It holds up tuning really well; unless you're doing insane stuff like vai or something, you should have no problems. You can still get pretty crazy, but you don't need to apply a lot of force to the bar at all.
diabolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #15
Grindchord

Kahler's are,IMO,far superior to the floyd rose system.When you install one,you hardly route any wood out of the guitar,which saves the tone from becoming thin.....the more wood that is removed by the bridge,the less sustain you have.Yeah,they are smoother as well.It is easier to change strings than a floyd becuase it only locks down at the nut,not at the bridge.I also bend the string at the ball-end in a circle,so when i do bar dives the string won't pop out.Some dudes even solder the ends of the strings,to make it stay in tune better!

If you install it on an Ibanez that had a floyd,you will be looking at quite a job.....the cavities will have to be filled in,and then re-routed,so hopefully you are putting it on a fixed-bridge type one.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
Casketcrusher666

Quote:
Kahler's are,IMO,far superior to the floyd rose system.When you install one,you hardly route any wood out of the guitar,which saves the tone from becoming thin.....the more wood that is removed by the bridge,the less sustain you have.Yeah,they are smoother as well.It is easier to change strings than a floyd becuase it only locks down at the nut,not at the bridge.I also bend the string at the ball-end in a circle,so when i do bar dives the string won't pop out.Some dudes even solder the ends of the strings,to make it stay in tune better!

If you install it on an Ibanez that had a floyd,you will be looking at quite a job.....the cavities will have to be filled in,and then re-routed,so hopefully you are putting it on a fixed-bridge type one.

Actually my Ibanez has an Edge Pro style bridge not a Floyd. The Edge Pro is sorta similar to a Kahler but not as good. And the edge does'nt take up alot of wood. So is that still a problem?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
Harvey

Thank god that Wes is in the band now, someone that actually knows something about guitars! I don't know shit!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 01:59 AM   #18
Grindchord

Quote:
Actually my Ibanez has an Edge Pro style bridge not a Floyd. The Edge Pro is sorta similar to a Kahler but not as good. And the edge does'nt take up alot of wood. So is that still a problem?
Ok.....there is a version of the Kahler trems that was modeled after a "floyd Rose"......this is the "fulcrum" type...........in other words,it sits on posts,and moves up and down AGAINST these,with the bar.This,I think,is called the STEELER.They do not make this bridge anymore.This is the only version that would retrofit your axe......actually,no it would not.You would still have to route the cavity.The Ibanez trem you speaak of is a "LO-PRO-EDGE"......its not a "pro" model.This is an abbreviation for "LOW PROFILE",meaning,it sits LOWER to the body.

You would want something called a "FAT PLATE".........Kahler will have this out by OCTOBER.It is a plate that sits over your oriiginal trem route and hosts the "cam" type flat-mount trem.....the sexy one you want,that sucks less tone than a stupid Floyd Rose design(my opinion,please do not take this to heart haha!!!).PLEASE,if you like Kahler,they are DESPERATELY trying to make the comeback.......check out the site,if you like REAL tremelos!!!!! They are not cheap,but you get what ya pay for!!!!! Look at the site man,all questions answered!

www.kahlerusa.com PLEASE support the METAL cause.....rock on!!!

Last edited by Grindchord; 09-17-2005 at 02:09 AM..
Old 09-17-2005, 02:19 AM   #19
Grindchord

Also,check out Ebay!!! Kahler are selling the "Vindicator" type trems for REAL cheap right now......the EXACT type of trems Slayer uses........good enuff for them,good enuff for you and me haha!!! Great gear man,check it out!!!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #20
Casketcrusher666

Quote:
Ok.....there is a version of the Kahler trems that was modeled after a "floyd Rose"......this is the "fulcrum" type...........in other words,it sits on posts,and moves up and down AGAINST these,with the bar.This,I think,is called the STEELER.They do not make this bridge anymore.This is the only version that would retrofit your axe......actually,no it would not.You would still have to route the cavity.The Ibanez trem you speaak of is a "LO-PRO-EDGE"......its not a "pro" model.This is an abbreviation for "LOW PROFILE",meaning,it sits LOWER to the body.

You would want something called a "FAT PLATE".........Kahler will have this out by OCTOBER.It is a plate that sits over your oriiginal trem route and hosts the "cam" type flat-mount trem.....the sexy one you want,that sucks less tone than a stupid Floyd Rose design(my opinion,please do not take this to heart haha!!!).PLEASE,if you like Kahler,they are DESPERATELY trying to make the comeback.......check out the site,if you like REAL tremelos!!!!! They are not cheap,but you get what ya pay for!!!!! Look at the site man,all questions answered!

www.kahlerusa.com PLEASE support the METAL cause.....rock on!!!
This "Flat Plate" you speak of. How is the action on it? Like does it still work like a Kahler and can it do the Slayer-type soloing?
Old 09-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #21
Grindchord

Smile

It is very thin....won't affect the action other than you may have to lower the saddles a teeny bit.This is another awesome thing about Kahlers.....you can adjust EACH strings individual height,and set your own custom string spacing! It is totally adjustable! The whammy gnarliness is the same as any other cam-based Kahler....absolutely NO difference.You will be impressed.....you actually can't do some of the Slayer solos without a Kahler...becuase of the insane up-pulls that are possible.

Also,you know how a divebomb on a floyd raises the strings WAY off the fretboard? A Kahler don't do that; no matter how far down you go the strings still sustain the notes.....how cool is that?
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #22
Casketcrusher666

Quote:
It is very thin....won't affect the action other than you may have to lower the saddles a teeny bit.This is another awesome thing about Kahlers.....you can adjust EACH strings individual height,and set your own custom string spacing! It is totally adjustable! The whammy gnarliness is the same as any other cam-based Kahler....absolutely NO difference.You will be impressed.....you actually can't do some of the Slayer solos without a Kahler...becuase of the insane up-pulls that are possible.

Also,you know how a divebomb on a floyd raises the strings WAY off the fretboard? A Kahler don't do that; no matter how far down you go the strings still sustain the notes.....how cool is that?
Awsome I will tottally get this. Thanks for the info.
Oh and I noticed that Kahlers are a lot cheaper than Floyds so that's another bonus.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #23
del Müerte

My bass tone is the inverse of my guitar tone. For the bass I like around 80% low end, about 75% on the treble and the mids backed off to like 25% or so.

I use a Boss ODB3 bass overdirve pedal with the gain on 50%, mix 50% and tone 75%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Screams
sorry im new to the boards.... but i was wondering since were talking about badass bridges.... what kahler would u suggest for someone who is trying fix up their axe... it is an ephiphone sg custom. My friend just put a badass emg pick up and i wanted to get him a badass bridge that would help a brutal tone so he himself could slay. Do u have any suggestions?

P.S I am a bass player and i saw u guys at the pound not to long ago(you guys brutalized...) but yea what amp set-up does leon have?

Last edited by del Müerte; 09-26-2005 at 05:49 AM..
Old 09-26-2005, 06:04 AM   #24
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher666
As far as staying in tune, I really think it has more to do with the springs in the back rather than the bridge... maybe not? But I've been using Floyds for 16 years and never had a problem, but if you are are gonna use a Floyd Rose use the
"Original" model which is made of pressed steel. I've only owned one Kahler and the thing fell apart on me.

Last edited by shroudofimpurity; 09-26-2005 at 01:59 PM..
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:05 AM   #25
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Amp(1989 JCM 800 2210 head):
Bass:10
Mid:5
Treble:3-5
Presence:0
Gain:10
"Boost" channel Volume:10
Master:3-5,after that you just get power tube drive,not volume

Pedal(Boss SD-1 Overdrive):
Level:10
Tone:10
Drive:0

That's how I set the stuff for Exhumed,in case anybody wants to know haha!
And I use a Dean '79 Series Z explorer-type guitar with a Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup in the bridge.And I use a Kahler Tremelo bridge,becuase it has more up-pull on the bar and stays in tune better than a floyd rose trem.My tone is more organic,bity,and cutting than Harvey's.....sort of like old thrash metal,where it is all pick attack.But I crank the mids,that's real important! I use the pedal only to BOOST the amp,not as my distortion.I get most of it from the amp,it's sort of like an "eq" for the amp distortion.....makes it heavier.And I use an old JCM 800 4x12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30 speakers......those things sound awesome,really warm,not too bright,and lots of bass!

Hope this helps! See ye all on the road somewhere!

WC
Seems like a cool setup man!
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #26
Frozen_Screams

Quote:
Originally Posted by del Müerte
My bass tone is the inverse of my guitar tone. For the bass I like around 80% low end, about 75% on the treble and the mids backed off to like 25% or so.

I use a Boss ODB3 bass overdirve pedal with the gain on 50%, mix 50% and tone 75%.
Thanks man... i was the long haired blonde kid in the front of u at the pound show... it was fun headbanging with u... what kind of pick up's do u have on your ibanez?
Frozen_Screams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #27
del Müerte

It's all stock. I got the bass for $150 off eBay, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen_Screams
Thanks man... i was the long haired blonde kid in the front of u at the pound show... it was fun headbanging with u... what kind of pick up's do u have on your ibanez?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #28
Frozen_Screams

wow what a lucky dude... haha... that tapping solo was fucking brutal..... do u have any techniques that u could show me? cuz i hella wanna leanr to tap on bass
Frozen_Screams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:39 PM   #29
XxEmoBoyxX

fender 212R

anyone know how to get a good metal sound outta a fender FM212R
XxEmoBoyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #30
son_of_disaster

Hey, I recently started playing bass as was woundering what some good settings would be for my amp to get a nice metal sound.
son_of_disaster is offline   Reply With Quote