SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Adrift
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Adrift Website

Old 05-12-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
owenadrift

owenadrift slam gang member
Adrift needs a cover song. Please help!

Kevin says we need a cover song, and it would be fun, but we can't decide on one. We have thrown around "The stroke" by Billy Squier, and "Simple man" by Skynyrd. Somebody already did Simple man, so now we need some help. What is we took "My Sharona" and heavied it up a bit?
owenadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
deadgoat666

deadgoat666 slam gang member
cover song

How about some Cactus or Blue Cheer??
deadgoat666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
AstlAdrift
You LOVE Adrift

AstlAdrift slam gang member
cover song

"My Sharona?" Ummm, sorry, no way. It would sound like we were trying to pay tribute to the "Monk" show. Yecch. How about one of the more obscure Devo songs (Demolition Hammer's cover of "Mongoloid" was choice and fucking brutal)? Or maybe "Rock On" by David Essex? "The Stroke" would be cool (especially b/c it's a subversive, thinly veiled anthem to masturbation), or perhaps something really surprising, like a heavy cover of a Whitney Houston or a Backstreet Boys song (just to fuck up pop-loving labels, not b/c I like them). Shit, even a heavified Elvis or even an original HANK song...

If we get enough consistent suggestions, we'll put up a poll and let the fans decide.
AstlAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Juggla

Juggla slam gang member
Don't Fear the Reaper - Creedence Clearwater Revival?
Juggla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 PM   #5
MetalFreak

MetalFreak slam gang member
Do something by Zeppelin. I don't see too many bands out there covering them for some reason.
MetalFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
siN

I concur with the notion for Zeppelin, Zakk Wylde did some ripping covers over 'em (note: Going to California with a twinge of rawwwk and heavy to it)

How about some AC/DC possibly? They're always a wise choice *OR* you could really be uber savage, and go for the ultimate song..

Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight

Yup, that has a nifty background story to it, and it's a winning tune. Kevin, I'm sure you would have a blast playing drums for that, and as for guitars and vocals - I know Analia and Jack can make a raunchy sound out of that one.

My vote goes for Mr. Collins ! Do it !

..or I know there has to be someone in the band yearning to do a Boy George cover - DONT LIE!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #7
Teufel

Teufel slam gang member
There is only one song worthy of being covered; "Strokin" by Clarence Carter. Listen to it once and you'll know why... I've always wanted to do a goregrind cover of that song...
Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:01 AM   #8
ask the Band B*tch

ask the Band B*tch slam gang member
cover

Black Sabbath, Paranoid
ask the Band B*tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 12:33 PM   #9
MichælAdrift
Jedi Master

MichælAdrift slam gang member
Top 10 Songs I would like Adrift to cover

10.) Rush - A Passage To Bangkok
9.) The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
8.) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Manic Depression
7.) Rush - Red Barchetta
6.) The Beatles - She's So Heavy
5.) Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
4.) Duran Duran - Rio
3.) The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
2.) Prince - Purple Rain
1.) Blue Öyster Cult - Don't Fear The Reaper

I believe the Foo Fighters covered Baker Street a few years back, so that one is out of the question. It's not the same without the saxophone and the fretless bass anyway.

Godhead did a pretty cool industrial cover of Eleanor Rigby not too long ago, so we can scratch that one, too.

I always wanted to cover Kashmir, but Puff Daddy or P. Diddy or whatever the fuck his name is this week fucked that up for everybody. I think if some kid ten years from now walked up and accused us of borrowing that guitar riff from a P. Diddy song, I would consider going on a heroin binge. Not because I have any problem with the evolution of music or the marriage of two genres or anything, just because the kid will never have heard of Jimmy Page. MTV is about as good for our culture as a cheese grater is for masturbating.

In response to Juggla:

Did you mean Don't Fear The Reaper or a Creedence tune? You have the benefit of the doubt. Creedence has some good tunes.

Stream of consciousness: I am rethinking my Top 10 because I forgot to include The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn! and The Mamas & The Papas California Dreamin'. We could do kickass versions of both of those tunes. But I still think the BÖC tune would rock the most.
MichælAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:04 PM   #10
MetalFreak

Puff Daddy doesnt count because it's not real music IMO, haha. Are there any more Led Zep songs that you would consider covering?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #11
AstlAdrift
You LOVE Adrift

"The Immigrant Song". Dark Angel did it years ago, and it was cool, and hella fast, but that's always been about the only Zep song I can stomach.

A righteous "Hell Yeah" to Band B*tch for the Sabbath "Paranoid" suggestion. Awesome, seminal song, simplicity in its purest form, and fun, too. Gets my vote right now.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:28 PM   #12
MetalFreak

That's one of my fav Zep tunes of all time. How about covering some Van Halen...wouldnt mind seeing you guys (and girl) tweak a song by their's around.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:32 PM   #13
AstlAdrift
You LOVE Adrift

Van Halen....hmmmmm...perhaps "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" or something more obscure and metal, like "Tora Tora Tora"? Other suggestions? Geez, I don't know if I could play those technical drum patterns from Alex. ;) And, I *KNOW* for a fact that our bass player Michael could not handle Michael Anthony's ridiculously intricate bass lines -- that dude shreds Vic Wooten! :D
Old 05-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #14
MetalFreak

Eh, just a thought, let's see, what about Alice In Chains?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:47 PM   #15
AstlAdrift
You LOVE Adrift

AIC is one of my faves of all time, "Dirt" is a top ten record for me. So many good songs..."Godsmack" (unfortunately purloined by the later band) "Rain When I Die," wow, it's be hard to pick from that record.

I'd love to do a Devo song, Like "Freedom of Choice," but I think I'm in the minority (defined: a singularity) in my band.

All good suggestions. This rules. I never knew what message boards were about, but now I'm addicted. And no, Michael, I'm not addicted to dick, before you make the obscure Sam Kinnison pop culture reference.

You'll STILL be in rehab before me!

HA!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:50 PM   #16
MetalFreak

I love Dirt too, "Angry Chair" and "Would?" are prob. my two favs on that album. Their acoustic stuff is great too.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:33 PM   #17
MichælAdrift
Jedi Master

Response to MetalFreak

Led Zeppelin

Zeppelin has an entire career full of great tunes but I feel there are so many more obscure artists, such as Devo (Kevin) that would make for more interesting covers. I am really fond of Carouselambra off their last album. The Immigrant Song would be alot of fun. Come to think of it, lots of stuff off of either "Physical Graffiti" or "Houses of the Holy" rocks. Didn't Great White do an entire album of Zep covers?

Alice in Chains

I acquiesce with Kevin on the "Dirt" album. That is easily one of the greatest albums of the grunge era. I like it from start to finish and still keep it on regular rotation. I like Rotten Apple from "Jar of Flies" quite a bit and a few tracks from "Grind". They were a great band. I would rate Jerry Cantrell as one of the three best guitarist/songwriters of the 1990's. It's a shame about Layne.

Van Halen

Hmmmmnh... I will probably be ostracized for saying this, especially by our drummer who has nothing better to do than dream up sexually deviant scandals to put me in the middle of (well, that's when he's not padding his stats on the sex-o-meter), but I personally feel Edward & Alex Van Halen's finest moments are found on Van Halen III and the "Twister" soundtrack. Yeah, yeah, yeah... I'm sure that comment will be regarded as blasphemous. Listen, Runnin' with the Devil, Eruption and Jaime's Cryin' were great songs to party to as a teenager, but I don't find them to be life changing. I thought Me Wise Magic was decent... Anyway, if we want to pay homage to great guitar players and give Jack a chance to shred, how about Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix or Randy Rhoads. I fully endorse a cover of Diary of a Madman!
Old 05-14-2004, 02:40 PM   #18
siN

Paranoid, we all know what happened when 3rd Strike did a cover of that song - I think the word "y'all" was used, and extra "Z's" were put in places where they normally don't belong.

I believe there was also a period of ad lib rapping that I *know* wasn't in the original version

I'll vote for AiC - On top of Godsmack butchering their sound and music, Adema has covered Nutshell in a tribute to Layne. Man in the Box maybe?

If we're talking covers, I know Children of Bodom have some absolutely RIPPING Maiden covers! They have a spank-tastic Scorpions cover of "Dont Stop At the Top" too - You guys thought about maybe some butt-rock? Motley Crue?

Here's a small list of heavier tunes that could work..

Motley Crue - Anything really, Live Wire's a good tune
Sepultura - Territory
Motorhead - Born To Raise Hell, Ace of Spades

2 classics not often praised:

Ozzy - I Just Want You
Ozzy - Back on Earth

Check out Tubring and their MP3 'The Medley (Part 2)' that's on their site, possibly draw inspiration from that? [hilarious stuff too]
Old 05-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #19
AstlAdrift
You LOVE Adrift

I just have one monumentally metal thing to say:

Judas Priest "Hot Rockin'" or "Hell Bent for Leather"
Old 05-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #20
siN

You *have* to do Priest.

Maybe if you do it live, you can also all come out dressed in leather? I know Shaun of SOiL has an uncanny fixation on the spandex outfits worn by The Darkness, both bands could really put on quite the visual show if/when you both tour..

:D
Old 05-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #21
Servent Ov Progress
saw you drown.

Servent Ov Progress slam gang member
Credence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son!!! that song fuckin rules the school!
Servent Ov Progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 AM   #22
MichælAdrift
Jedi Master

CCR is pretty raw...

I think we should pay homage to some grass-roots, downhome, straight-ahead rock n' roll. CCR is pretty edgy guitar rock. Fuck it. Maybe three albums in, we can do an entire cover album a la "Spaghetti Incident" except with a little more care.
It's not a cheesy ploy to make cash when you take ten songs you love and just rock them out. Speaking of Cash, we should put some "Folsom Prison Blues" on that mutha. And some "Morrison Hotel" while were at it.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:52 AM   #23
SDJM123

SDJM123 slam gang member
KANSAS - CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON

I know Jack can rip the solo at the end and i've always loved that breakdown at the end. I'm not suggesting that you sing it as high pitched as the original but i think it would sound good if it was a little heavier
SDJM123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #24
Rick

Rick slam gang member
I'll go with Kansas also but maybe another song like How My Soul Cries Out For You :)
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:00 AM   #25
MichælAdrift
Jedi Master

Down with Kansas

I'm down with doing a Kansas cover...or a Yes cover.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #26
owenadrift

owenadrift slam gang member
That's it, I'm doing "Good 'ol boys" by Waylon Jennings, you know , the theme from Dukes of Hazzard. Who's with me?
owenadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:05 PM   #27
JizmJim

JizmJim slam gang member
Cool

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial][COLOR=red]I would love to hear an Adrift cover of 'Brick House' by the Commodores!
JizmJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:29 PM   #28
FKaz

FKaz slam gang member
You know what I'd like to see as a cover? Something by Pink Floyd... It'd show off some talent (other than singing) and is pretty mellow... Of course, Jack could always solo "there's a hole in my pocket" :D
FKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:14 AM   #29
Tony Teegarden

Tony Teegarden slam gang member
OO OOOOh I got it...

How about something from Kinds X?? Old stuff is heavy and the harmonies can't be touched. Hooks? OMG....as many hooks as they got in their songs you're bound to catch some fish! But ya know....no one has had the balls to touch "in the air." I'm still all bout the Phil Collins. The guys got how many hits? How many albums go Platinum? Mainstream, No ones done it, everyone knows the tune and it's not in the rock or metal stream. Step out...pick up your skirts grab your balls and do it!:D
Tony Teegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #30
Tony Teegarden

Tony Teegarden slam gang member
damn..

Damn I can't spell...i'm smart..really I am...I meant KINGS X. "it's loooove that holds us all together..i just had to let you know." God that's the hook. Kevin you got that album...we used to listen to it in the GEO storm. What's that album??
Tony Teegarden is offline   Reply With Quote