Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 11-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #91
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistedSister View Post
What's your band called? Def post something when you guys get stuff up, I'm interested.
I just uploaded two things on to this myspace account I haven't used in awhile. I didn't write this stuff, but I'm assuming we're keeping it, so it'll still be nice to get feedback. My stuff will be a little more progressive and have less "core" elements.

http://www.myspace.com/tobyqueef
Willith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #92
modern death
Hails

Hmm...
modern death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #93
Pwnsauce

looooooolllllllll
Pwnsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #94
label thief
find them, kill them

i confused
label thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #95
label thief
find them, kill them

oh i see now.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:01 AM   #96
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnsauce View Post
looooooolllllllll

Not sure what you're lol'ing about considering the rave reviews your "songwriting" threads have gotten.....and the fact that you're not even in a band (or too ashamed to post it in the "post your band" thread).

Anyway, it's quite remarkable I've even been able to find anybody of that caliber in this area. Dude obviously is into JFAC (I probably couldn't even tell them apart to be honest) I've heard some of the other stuff which sounds eerily similar to the faceless. I think part of the reason they wanted to bring me in was to shy away from the -core stuff and become a more guitar/music theory driven entity. For those who have trouble reading, I didn't write either of those and neither of them were mixed (obviously).
Old 11-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #97
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willith View Post
Not sure what you're lol'ing about considering the rave reviews your "songwriting" threads have gotten.....and the fact that you're not even in a band (or too ashamed to post it in the "post your band" thread).

Anyway, it's quite remarkable I've even been able to find anybody of that caliber in this area. Dude obviously is into JFAC (I probably couldn't even tell them apart to be honest) I've heard some of the other stuff which sounds eerily similar to the faceless. I think part of the reason they wanted to bring me in was to shy away from the -core stuff and become a more guitar/music theory driven entity. For those who have trouble reading, I didn't write either of those and neither of them were mixed (obviously).
Music is pretty terrible; confusing because going by your posts on this forum, one would think you'd be more picky about the band you would join, seeing as their sound is the run-of-the-mill modern death-core stuff. and yes, I know you're "shying" away from it.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #98
label thief
find them, kill them

Quote:

i bench more than you.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #99
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
Music is pretty terrible; confusing because going by your posts on this forum, one would think you'd be more picky about the band you would join, seeing as their sound is the run-of-the-mill modern death-core stuff. and yes, I know you're "shying" away from it.
I can't afford to be THAT picky about it. It's this or nothing at this point, so I'd much rather have this. I can work with this. I addressed in an earlier post that it was a miracle to even find people of this caliber around here- and that's the truth. Even finding (what I would consider) a mediocre drummer is going to be incredibly difficult.
But like with everything else, these things take time. It is during this time that I hope to "show them the light" and get away from some of these trend elements. I kind of get the feeling I'll become the main composer, but it's a fine line. I can't dictate everything to the point where they no longer want to do it because they have other influences that I don't care about.
The music isn't "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination either, so you can blow that out your ass. Harmonized sweeps have a level of technical ability that's out of the realm of 'terrible'.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #100
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by label thief View Post
i bench more than you.
And how much is that? 245? lol...I hope you're not in a BP contest too.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #101
modern death
Hails

Quote:
Harmonized sweeps have a level of technical ability that's out of the realm of 'terrible'.
False.

I didn't say the guitarists couldn't play their instruments, or weren't "technically" proficient, I said the music was terrible. Which, in my opinion, it is. The transitions and riffs are sub-par and it sounds like every other Deathcore / Meltalcore band that has surfaced in the past 2-4 years.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you add to the band, though.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #102
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_second_infinity View Post
False.

I didn't say the guitarists couldn't play their instruments, or weren't "technically" proficient, I said the music was terrible. Which, in my opinion, it is. The transitions and riffs are sub-par and it sounds like every other Deathcore / Meltalcore band that has surfaced in the past 2-4 years.

I wouldn't mind seeing what you add to the band, though.
Some of the riffs make me cringe and I feel dumb playing them, which makes it just that much more difficult to sit down and have to learn. They don't make sense to my head or my hands, but I think that's somewhat beneficial for me, in the sense that it takes me out of my element and makes me work on things I'm not use to. I've got them listening to SoP and they seem to really dig that, so I think that's a step in the right direction.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #103
FistedSister
Nilla

If you live in Boston, you should be able to find some pretty good musicians to start your own band if you're dissatisfied with the band you're in now. I dig your vocalist. I'll definitely check out more material when you guys record as a full band.

to clarify:

PWNSAUCE writes very epic music. Please, take my word on that.
Label Thief is also in a band that will do very well once their music is up.
Ten_Second is in a band I dig the fuck out of, personally. And his drummer is berserk.

You might've even found yourself some musicians to play with through the forums, but not with an arrogant attitude. The Berklee folk I met when I was visiting the campus were pretty arrogant and condescending. It doesn't bother me too much, I'm just saying.

Also, playing expensive gear isn't going to make your band or music better. Sure, it helps the overall tone & playing. But some people judge their own self-worth based on how expensive some of the things they own are. Same concept of the guy with the huge truck and small dick.

I digress.
FistedSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #104
Obswalq.
we own the sky

lol, what a meathead.
Obswalq. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #105
Willith
Banned

Quote:
If you live in Boston, you should be able to find some pretty good musicians to start your own band if you're dissatisfied with the band you're in now. I dig your vocalist. I'll definitely check out more material when you guys record as a full band.

to clarify:

PWNSAUCE writes very epic music. Please, take my word on that.
Label Thief is also in a band that will do very well once their music is up.
Ten_Second is in a band I dig the fuck out of, personally. And his drummer is berserk.

You might've even found yourself some musicians to play with through the forums, but not with an arrogant attitude. The Berklee folk I met when I was visiting the campus were pretty arrogant and condescending. It doesn't bother me too much, I'm just saying.

Also, playing expensive gear isn't going to make your band or music better. Sure, it helps the overall tone & playing. But some people judge their own self-worth based on how expensive some of the things they own are. Same concept of the guy with the huge truck and small dick.

I digress.
I don't live in Boston. I did. Then L.A., and now the mid-west.
I have heard "pwnsauce"'s garageband or whatever clips...and they weren't epic or anything of the sort. It was actually some of the worst stuff I've heard coming from this board- however, there is a lot of GOOD stuff coming from people on this board, so to stand out isn't exactly easy.
I'm familiar with abhorrent and follow the tabs/mp3s threads. I think some of the stuff is great, but he seems to be involved in so many different projects that it's not clear sometimes which is which- for example I heard a slower Opeth-esque composition that I didn't really dig, but I don't think it was an abhorrent piece.

You don't know me outside of this forum, so rest assured my attitude isn't the problem- timing is. When I was at Berklee (or returned rather) any talented musicians interested in the same type of music were already stretched thin, sometimes being in 3 other bands at the same time. My other friends had different tastes (like power metal ). L.A. was a huge disappointment because it has virtually no music scene. It was truly pathetic. The mid-west has already had so much more to offer me than either of the coasts.
Not sure what you're getting at with your gear comment. Are you insinuating that because I have good gear I may only ''think'' I'm good? You've got a decent enough amount of information on my background, so I'm not exactly sure how you'd come to such a conclusion.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #106
label thief
find them, kill them

Quote:
And how much is that? 245? lol...I hope you're not in a BP contest too.

sick bodyspace bra.

Last edited by label thief; 11-22-2009 at 11:54 PM..
Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 AM   #107
Willith
Banned

345 hmm? Sounds pretty close to tree fiddy....so vids or it didn't happen.

Mine hasn't been updated in awhile. I was benching 315 back in May and then it slowly declined. Now I have a shoulder issue and may have to stop benching for awhile. I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow to have them 'reset' it since that usually does the trick. I'm putting up around 305 right now, and God willing, around 335-355 by the end of December.
Bench is an irrelevant measurement of strength anyway- your squat is probably a more accurate measurement. Or of course, the big 3 all together.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:56 AM   #108
FistedSister
Nilla

Quote:
345 hmm? Sounds pretty close to tree fiddy....so vids or it didn't happen.

Mine hasn't been updated in awhile. I was benching 315 back in May and then it slowly declined. Now I have a shoulder issue and may have to stop benching for awhile. I'm going to the chiropractor tomorrow to have them 'reset' it since that usually does the trick. I'm putting up around 305 right now, and God willing, around 335-355 by the end of December.
Bench is an irrelevant measurement of strength anyway- your squat is probably a more accurate measurement. Or of course, the big 3 all together.
Damn dude, only if you knew LabelThief IRL. 345lbs is prob what he benched in junior high.

I haven't met very many people whom can bench over 300lbs. I can hardly get 275lbs pressed these days (reps only). Never really aimed for maxing out (being my hockey coach made it clear it's not good for you).
FistedSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #109
Willith
Banned

Quote:
Damn dude, only if you knew LabelThief IRL. 345lbs is prob what he benched in junior high.

I haven't met very many people whom can bench over 300lbs. I can hardly get 275lbs pressed these days (reps only). Never really aimed for maxing out (being my hockey coach made it clear it's not good for you).
lol- I played hockey for Berklee. I think they're a D3 team now. I also played from age 5-17. And yeah, I never max out on any lifts. For awhile I was terrified of getting a pec tear and started psyching myself out. But at the same time most of the people I've seen who've gotten pec tears got them while in a somewhat high rep range. I read an article on t-nation just a couple days ago about how flat bb bench is one of the worst things you can do (and best way to tear a muscle).
Still, it'll have to happen to me before I ever stop doing it.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #110
label thief
find them, kill them

nah bra. just warm up. make sure youre doing dips and flies to make those peccys flexible. it's mostly just genetic dispostion. i tore a bicep when i was curling 160 last year. ALWAYS MAX OUT.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #111
lelahel

Re: 7 string recomendations

TRY THE SCHECTER JEFF Loomis
lelahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #112
schism93

Any Schecter guitar is just AWESOME.

I have the Schecter diamond series Hellraiser with floyd rose and its just perfect. Grover tunners, emg 707 active pickups, original floyd rose and only for $1000.

Look for it!
schism93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #113
Grindhead Records
Designated Driver

Is 7 the new 6?
Grindhead Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #114
Michael_Ten
blergh yas

Any 7 with a 27" scale length should do ya just fine. Scale length is one of the least considered aspects of a guitar, and it's ironically one of the most important aspects to getting the tone and tension you want. Most guitar manufacturers aren't quite hip to this, yet, so many will stick with the same scale length on their 7s that they have on their 6s, which is a clear indication that you should avoid that company.
Michael_Ten is offline   Reply With Quote