SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Spawn of Possession

Spawn of Possession Website


Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #31
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FecalFamine View Post
YES!!! just don't sell out! PLEASE GOD NO
sell out? hehe :O i have never heard of a death metal band doing that, i dont think thats even possible without changing the style completly.
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 AM   #32
Fractal_Mortality
Registered User
 
Fractal_Mortality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,402
Rep Power: 16 Fractal_Mortality slam gang member
Been paying attention to Cryptopsy lately, Jonas?
Fractal_Mortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #33
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Mortality View Post
Been paying attention to Cryptopsy lately, Jonas?
no i havent, but i checked them out on myspace now, and i listened to their latest song and compared it to the older ones, and i found nothing in it that sounds even slightly commercial. to me anyway.
maybe the other songs on the new album is different from that one?

sell out for me is when a band change their style so it can be accepted on big commercial radiostations, mtv, and other mainstream media.

if a DM-Band wants to sell out, they have to remove certain elements from the music and add other stuff instead, that can appeal to the masses. like catchy choruses, maybe some clean vocals, and the riffs and arrangements should be less complicated, catchy memorable melodies is a way to go also. i think slipknot is a pretty good example how a DM Band could sound like if they wanted to sell out.

Last edited by bryzz; 05-11-2008 at 11:56 AM..
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #34
cl8on
Registered User
 
cl8on's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 99
Rep Power: 17 cl8on slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzz
i think slipknot is a pretty good example how a DM Band could sound like if they wanted to sell out.
Yeah, Aborted did that a couple of years back.
cl8on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #35
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl8on View Post
Yeah, Aborted did that a couple of years back.
okey, i dont know anything about aborted, only heard one or two songs years ago. but if they tried to sell out they didnt succeed hehe.
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #36
Ronnie/Pieces
Gruesome
 
Ronnie/Pieces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 0 Ronnie/Pieces slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzz View Post
Sell out for me is when a band change their style so it can be accepted on big commercial radiostations, mtv, and other mainstream media.
Great examples of this is In Flames and Satyricon.

Last edited by Ronnie/Pieces; 05-11-2008 at 03:42 PM..
Ronnie/Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #37
foreign10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,105
Rep Power: 16 foreign10 slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzz View Post
if a DM-Band wants to sell out, they have to remove certain elements from the music and add other stuff instead, that can appeal to the masses. like catchy choruses, maybe some clean vocals, and the riffs and arrangements should be less complicated, catchy memorable melodies is a way to go also. i think slipknot is a pretty good example how a DM Band could sound like if they wanted to sell out.
well the first time I heard the "Swarm of the Formless" opening riff I thought it was super catchy! it stuck with me right away.same for the chorus of "Spawn of Possession". "EVIL EVIL!" haha. not trying to make you out to be wrong or anything, since it's all just about opinions. but I don't think there's anything wrong with catchy simple riffs in death metal.
foreign10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #38
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign10 View Post
well the first time I heard the "Swarm of the Formless" opening riff I thought it was super catchy! it stuck with me right away.same for the chorus of "Spawn of Possession". "EVIL EVIL!" haha. not trying to make you out to be wrong or anything, since it's all just about opinions. but I don't think there's anything wrong with catchy simple riffs in death metal.
hehe yes of course its nothing wrong with catchy riffs. i never said that. i always try to put some catchy stuff in the songs.
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #39
Fractal_Mortality
Registered User
 
Fractal_Mortality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,402
Rep Power: 16 Fractal_Mortality slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzz View Post
no i havent, but i checked them out on myspace now, and i listened to their latest song and compared it to the older ones, and i found nothing in it that sounds even slightly commercial. to me anyway.
maybe the other songs on the new album is different from that one?
Did you listen to the song "Bemoan the Martyr" at all? It added a lot of elements that would indicate a band trying to gain more commercial appeal: the rather cliche spoken word sample, the metalcore vocals and guitarwork, the addition of very commercialized clean vocals... It all screamed as a push for accessibility to me. But I realize that is just one song.

Honestly though, I just think the biggest thing against the band is loss of members. Their songwriting abilities don't seem anyway near what they used to be.

Last edited by Fractal_Mortality; 05-11-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Fractal_Mortality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #40
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Mortality View Post
Did you listen to the song "Bemoan the Martyr" at all? It added a lot of elements that would indicate a band trying to gain more commercial appeal: the rather cliche spoken word sample, the metalcore vocals and guitarwork, the addition of very commercialized clean vocals... It all screamed as a push for accessibility to me. But I realize that is just one song.

Honestly though, I just think the biggest thing against the band is loss of members. Their songwriting abilities don't seem anyway near what they used to be.
no i didnt find that song on myspace, i was listening to "worship your demons" and compared that one to the others. but i downloaded the song you mentioned now, and i understand what you mean. only the future can tell if they going to explore that path any further.

okey, i really dont know, because i dont listen to them. but if they had several or better songwriters before i guess some elements are gone now or just different.
they probaly get some new fans which like the new stuff better than the old. its always like that.
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #41
Logic
what
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 13 Logic slam gang member
BRYZZ KNOWS THE TRUTH
Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #42
Logic
what
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 188
Rep Power: 13 Logic slam gang member
Dude seriously, if you'd make a religion, I'd join
Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #43
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET
 
Cloaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: São Paulo,Brasil
Posts: 7,919
Rep Power: 24 Cloaca beat up jewskiCloaca beat up jewski
Age: 20
Sex: Male
Location: Melbourne
Religion: Bryzzist

Likes:
- Walks by the beach
- Holding hands
- Minor/major 3rd harmonies
- Playing it the harder way
- Doing it at 310 bpm
- The sound of your name on the wind (as long as it's harmonised, preferably minor/major 3rd)

Dislikes:
- Rondumologists (loonies)
- Repeating things
- Keeping hands still
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #44
Ronnie/Pieces
Gruesome
 
Ronnie/Pieces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 0 Ronnie/Pieces slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
Religion: Bryzzist
Bryzzism! :P
Ronnie/Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #45
crispy
crispy burger
 
crispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 1,009
Rep Power: 16 crispy slam gang member
I'd join
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #46
Cannon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 15
Rep Power: 0 Cannon slam gang member
OFF ORIGINAL TOPIC :

I will agree with most things written about new Cryptopsy, but I think they've earned the 'benefit of the doubt' to be honest. These guys are truly world class musicians, and are undeniable pioneers of the whole genre death metal. It took YEARS for people to actually realize what they were playing originally and how brutal/kick ass it was. That said, they have certainly abandoned the "as brutal as possible" approach, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear the album in full. Maybe it's blind faith, but hey, I think they deserve a little bit. It may take months and months to absorb the real meaning and appreciate what they were going for, which always make the meaning more satisfying in the end. Also, Canadian/Quebecios metal RULES

Tying it back to SoP, I like to think I have a good ear for music, but after 10 listens of Noctambulant I found more and more repeated motifs throughout the songs, a tribute to well-thought out composition.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #47
Djeez
Calisse
 
Djeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,519
Rep Power: 16 Djeez slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
OFF ORIGINAL TOPIC :

I will agree with most things written about new Cryptopsy, but I think they've earned the 'benefit of the doubt' to be honest. These guys are truly world class musicians, and are undeniable pioneers of the whole genre death metal. It took YEARS for people to actually realize what they were playing originally and how brutal/kick ass it was. That said, they have certainly abandoned the "as brutal as possible" approach, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear the album in full. Maybe it's blind faith, but hey, I think they deserve a little bit. It may take months and months to absorb the real meaning and appreciate what they were going for, which always make the meaning more satisfying in the end. Also, Canadian/Quebecios metal RULES

Tying it back to SoP, I like to think I have a good ear for music, but after 10 listens of Noctambulant I found more and more repeated motifs throughout the songs, a tribute to well-thought out composition.
You also have to remember that the BMF, NSF, WS, ATYB and Once Was Not were all written by Jon Levasseur, except one song from OWN, and probably some riffs here and there.So it's just not the same Cryptopsy anymore, and there's nothing to absorb anymore.
Djeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #48
philkilla666
CrusherofSkulls
 
philkilla666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere...making a difference
Posts: 148
Rep Power: 15 philkilla666 slam gang member
Well, there is something to absorb, but it appears not many people want to absorb it...


EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
Age: 20
Sex: Male
Location: Melbourne
Religion: Bryzzist

Likes:
- Walks by the beach
- Holding hands
- Minor/major 3rd harmonies
- Playing it the harder way
- Doing it at 310 bpm
- The sound of your name on the wind (as long as it's harmonised, preferably minor/major 3rd)

Dislikes:
- Rondumologists (loonies)
- Repeating things
- Keeping hands still
philkilla666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #49
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET
 
Cloaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: São Paulo,Brasil
Posts: 7,919
Rep Power: 24 Cloaca beat up jewskiCloaca beat up jewski
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie/Pieces View Post
Bryzzism! :P
"Bryzzlam/Bryzzlamic"? You must admit, it has a nice ring to it!
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #50
crispy
crispy burger
 
crispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 1,009
Rep Power: 16 crispy slam gang member
Hahahahah! Jonas...are you creeped out in the slightest?
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #51
Refusal
ruker
 
Refusal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca
Posts: 845
Rep Power: 14 Refusal slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
"Bryzzlam/Bryzzlamic"? You must admit, it has a nice ring to it!
Bryzzology/Bryzzologist ... could be like a spoof on Scientology.
Refusal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #52
philkilla666
CrusherofSkulls
 
philkilla666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere...making a difference
Posts: 148
Rep Power: 15 philkilla666 slam gang member
When I rejoin the Army, I should put my religious preference as "Bryzzlamist".

If they have any questions I'll just make them listen to Lash.
philkilla666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #53
Ronnie/Pieces
Gruesome
 
Ronnie/Pieces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 30
Rep Power: 0 Ronnie/Pieces slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkilla666 View Post
When I rejoin the Army, I should put my religious preference as "Bryzzlamist".

If they have any questions I'll just make them listen to Lash.
"Bryzzlashist" ;)
Ronnie/Pieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #54
Inertiopus
Registered User
 
Inertiopus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 877
Rep Power: 13 Inertiopus slam gang member
Im gonna tell people from now on I am Bryzzlamic.If they don`t get it well then they are sonically ages behind.
Inertiopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #55
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetaldoll View Post
Hahahahah! Jonas...are you creeped out in the slightest?
haha yes a little bit :P
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #56
bryzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 150
Rep Power: 15 bryzz slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaca View Post
Age: 20
Sex: Male
Location: Melbourne
Religion: Bryzzist

Likes:
- Walks by the beach
- Holding hands
- Minor/major 3rd harmonies
- Playing it the harder way
- Doing it at 310 bpm
- The sound of your name on the wind (as long as it's harmonised, preferably minor/major 3rd)

Dislikes:
- Rondumologists (loonies)
- Repeating things
- Keeping hands still
höhö, dont know if i would be good as an insane sect leader hehe, im to shy and tired for that i think hehe :S
bryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #57
Cloaca
IS HE GONE YET
 
Cloaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: São Paulo,Brasil
Posts: 7,919
Rep Power: 24 Cloaca beat up jewskiCloaca beat up jewski
Hey, if it doesn't work out, we can just have a sip of the cyanide punch!

"In the beginning, there was Bryssling......."

See you all on Sunday at the Church Of Deviance.
Cloaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #58
fkoeils
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 41
Rep Power: 0 fkoeils slam gang member
Re: New Drummer

Hooray for Dick! Has he considered changing his name to Jonas Schill?
fkoeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.

vBulletin skin by: CompleteGFX.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SMNnews.com: 2002 -