SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

I was listening to Bloodthirst and Wretched Spawn during my workout today and I couldn't help but think about how fucking dense and heavy CC's riffs are. They haven't weakened a bit in 15 years plus. No one does it as tight as they do.

What do you guys think? Favorite CC records? I'd have a really hard time picking that. So much good stuff out there, even though I kinda lost touch in the last few years.
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

Re: Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

I've never actually listened to Cannibal Corpse. I've heard songs here and there, but nothing was ever memorable. Compared to another pioneer brutal band like Suffocation, I always felt like CC had no finesse or flair. Mike Smith's drumming, Cerrito and Hobbs' twisted riffs and Frank's vocals...so much more rhythmic/melodic variety, and somehow more brutal than CC (imo)

All that being said, if I sound like a fucking idiot that knows nothing, please give me reccs for CC albums I might enjoy. The discography is fucking intimidating in size, and I just don't have the free time anymore to discover music like I used to.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:12 PM   #3
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

Re: Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
please give me reccs for CC albums I might enjoy.
I think the riffs in the wretched spawn clarify what I mean. Gallery of suicide is in my opinion kind of a diverse record of theirs. So those two maybe.

I can honestly say I like everything they did all the way up to Kill. Stopped checking out their stuff after that for no particular reason. There's a reason they found themselves up there as one of the most successful death metal bands of all times. It's their high level of skill and incredible consistency.

14 years ago, jesus christ. we are getting old.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:01 AM   #4
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

TWS is definitely worth a sit down listen.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 AM   #5
The Duff

You’re correct friend. Tomb of the mutilated is further proof you don’t need to tune lower than e flat it’s to me the heaviest record of all time barring napalm death or entombed . They tuned down also but when skeletal domain is your weakest record in probably 6, you’re onto something good. Everything pre wretched spawn is classic. Their fourth record is possibly the catchiest death metal record of all time also. And then pat O’Brien, probably the greatest death metal rhythm guitar player. Alex on bass. Two of the world’s most influential vocalists.

Last edited by The Duff; 01-30-2021 at 04:02 AM..
The Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Funny, I have been listening to a ton of Cannibal Corpse lately for the first in a some years, and man, such amazing songs and riffs.

Kill is their best album in the Corpsegrinder era in my opinion.

Gallery of Suicide is probably the darkest/most atmospheric album of their's.
From Skin to Liquid is the shit!

I'd be curious since the bizarre incident with Pat and Rutan ending up touring with them, if Erik has any writing credits on the upcoming album. I feel like his style of riff writing combined with Alex's feel for dark melodicism and composition would be quite something.

For what its worth, Alex's track 'Messiah of Rage' was killer on the Hate Eternal demo.
flayedandskinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:42 PM   #7
pooptastik
son of cosmos

Rep Power: 23 pooptastik beat up jewskipooptastik beat up jewski

"Tomb of the Mutilated" is one of the greatest death metal albums ever.

my favorite CC song.
pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
pooptastik
son of cosmos

Rep Power: 23 pooptastik beat up jewskipooptastik beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by flayedandskinned View Post

Gallery of Suicide is probably the darkest/most atmospheric album of their's.
From Skin to Liquid is the shit!
Yes! Their most underrated album! That song absolutely reminds me of Vile's 'Stench of the Deceased'
pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 27 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Love me some CC. “Bloodthirst” is probably my favourite. First three tracks are one of the best triple punches on any DM record.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #10
J72826

But their drummer fucking ruins it so bad
J72826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
Moemers
Flower Travelin

BRAIN STEM DEATH METAL

this band rules tho
Moemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #12
alteredstate

Bloodthirst is my favorite, and would probably appeal to Oleg the most with it's technicality. The Bleeding is their catchiest and Butchered at Birth is easily their darkest, most putrid sounding album.
alteredstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 23 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by J72826 View Post
But their drummer fucking ruins it so bad
for as much shit people give to Lars Ulrich, compared to CC's Paul he sounds like a jazz grandmaster at the drums. easily the worst drummer in a "famous" metal band... by a loooooooooooooooong shot. Lars at hist worst is mildly annoying. Paul at his best ruins songs

also, their riffs aren't even the heaviest in Florida death (Brutality, for example, eats them for breakfast when it comes to heaviness, MA's Gateways is also about 6-7 orders of magnitude heavier than CC's entire discography, C), let alone death metal as a whole, lol (compared to pretty much the whole NY dm scene they sound like a kid friendly disney radio death metal band :P)

they got popular because of marketing (they were the face of the "anti death metal" propaganda of the early 90ies, they were in Ace Ventura etc), not because they were particularly good
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:47 PM   #14
Deathstalker

Yeah, I never got the hype for Cannibal Corpse. Not that they're bad. They're just whatever, to me. Meh. Funny enough, I would rather listen to Cannabis Corpse over them more often than not.

Last edited by Deathstalker; 01-31-2021 at 01:58 AM..
Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:50 AM   #15
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker View Post
Yeah, I never got the hype for Cannibal Corpse. Not that they're bad. They're just whatever, to me. Meh. Funny enough, I would rather listen to Cannabis Corpse over them more often than not.
pretty much. i mean, kudos to them for maintaining that popularity and being relatively consistent, very few bands in the more "extreme" metal subgenres manage to do it and live off of the music.

but they're just so... boring compared to everything else in the genre. i really really tried yesterday i was writing the previous post (Gallery, Bloodthirst an Butchered), but i got bored after ~10mins of each
Old 01-31-2021, 12:22 PM   #16
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtbringer View Post
Love me some CC. ?Bloodthirst? is probably my favourite. First three tracks are one of the best triple punches on any DM record.

Dead Human Collection is so much fun to play on guitar. The verse riff is quite the finger twister.

Ecstasy in Decay is super underrated too
Old 01-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #17
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooptastik View Post
Yes! Their most underrated album! That song absolutely reminds me of Vile's 'Stench of the Deceased'
100%. Colin basically wanted Vile to be Corpsegrinder era Cannibal.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:28 PM   #18
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
pretty much. i mean, kudos to them for maintaining that popularity and being relatively consistent, very few bands in the more "extreme" metal subgenres manage to do it and live off of the music.

but they're just so... boring compared to everything else in the genre. i really really tried yesterday i was writing the previous post (Gallery, Bloodthirst an Butchered), but i got bored after ~10mins of each
I have to say I completely disagree. I think their songs all very much have their own flavor and Alex's compositions are amongst the most unique in the game. Lots of whole tone/Hungarian Minor ladden riffs. He really fucks with a ton of different scales.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:49 PM   #19
Skeetsystem
HOES ONCE LOYAL

Boys sooner or later you have to take the training wheels off. Why are you still lauding this cornball band.
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:27 AM   #20
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

New album just announced...

Violence Unimagined. First single is called Imhumane Harvest

https://genius.com/albums/Cannibal-c...nce-unimagined
Old 02-01-2021, 05:23 AM   #21
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 27 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

New song here:

https://nextmosh.com/cannibal-corpse...umane-harvest/
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:54 AM   #22
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Sounds good, wish the mix was a bit beefier.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #23
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
I have to say I completely disagree. I think their songs all very much have their own flavor and Alex's compositions are amongst the most unique in the game. Lots of whole tone/Hungarian Minor ladden riffs. He really fucks with a ton of different scales.
who cares if he fills his riffs with underage hungarian, uzbekistani, or rwandan kids? why should i care he has sex with a ton different reptiles?

boring band is boring (though that new song posted actually sounds decent. finally Paul can play like the average 16 year old who has picked up his first drumkit). if you need to be a musician to understand why they might not be all that boring... Webster is wasted there
Old 02-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #24
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
who cares if he fills his riffs with underage hungarian, uzbekistani, or rwandan kids? why should i care he has sex with a ton different reptiles?

boring band is boring (though that new song posted actually sounds decent. finally Paul can play like the average 16 year old who has picked up his first drumkit). if you need to be a musician to understand why they might not be all that boring... Webster is wasted there
Damn, man. You are still are as angsty as ever.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:28 AM   #25
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spew View Post
Sounds good, wish the mix was a bit beefier.
Hard to judge the mix/production on that youtube link; its sounds like its at a pretty low bit rate; maybe even as low as 192 kbps.

Thoughts on new track:
It sounds really good, definitely one of Rob Barrett's songs on he album. Really enjoyed it!

Yes, Erik Rutan is still in the band and his solo is the first one that plays, so Pat O'Brien may have not have been able to be involved with the writing/recording of this album, which is unfortunate. I hope he is getting the help he needs. That said, Rutan is a perfect addition to the band - given the more grooving, slower nature of Cannibal Corpse in comparison to Hate Eternal, I wonder if on the songs he contributes to the upcoming album have more of a Ripping Corpse vibe riff wise.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #26
strychnine
Administrator

Rep Power: 10 strychnine beat up jewskistrychnine beat up jewski

Generally more of a fan of their older stuff but this riff/part @ 1:38 is so fucking sick
strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #27
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Quote:
Damn, man. You are still are as angsty as ever.
ah, the classic "if you think this band i like is boring, you're angsty!" teenager response

you're as ridiculous as ever
Old 02-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #28
The Duff

I’m not nuts about that track. Red before black was so good though. I commend them on using such a great artist time and again. Honestly I was on the Lars and Paul controversy bandwagon also, but in the end I grew to love his style, his furious just shy of breaking apart blasting. I feel now Rob is the weakest link, I don’t even think he can play some of the riffs, I reckon they just swamp him in gain and turn him lower than Pat live, and then Pat records all of the rhythm guitars in the studio - it pains me to think of such a staple of classic American death metal in such a way, but Owen was a slick guitarist able to alternate between choppy and loose in a heartbeat with utter panache, and he just had a greater flavor to complement the full-on nature of Pat’s playing. Doubt I’ll buy this record as the best riff reminds me of the last Aeon record which was not a good one either.
The Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #29
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

This whole thread makes me want to listen to more CC.

Oh, and obviously strongly disagree with ShadowHunter for once. It's interesting how your perception of the band is so different. Glad to see others love them, too.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #30
flayedandskinned
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duff View Post
I?m not nuts about that track. Red before black was so good though. I commend them on using such a great artist time and again. Honestly I was on the Lars and Paul controversy bandwagon also, but in the end I grew to love his style, his furious just shy of breaking apart blasting. I feel now Rob is the weakest link, I don?t even think he can play some of the riffs, I reckon they just swamp him in gain and turn him lower than Pat live, and then Pat records all of the rhythm guitars in the studio - it pains me to think of such a staple of classic American death metal in such a way, but Owen was a slick guitarist able to alternate between choppy and loose in a heartbeat with utter panache, and he just had a greater flavor to complement the full-on nature of Pat?s playing. Doubt I?ll buy this record as the best riff reminds me of the last Aeon record which was not a good one either.

Rob is fully capable of playing the riffs lol and he contributes some of their sickest songs. The new song is one he wrote and he also wrote one of the better songs on Red before Black, which was In the Midst of Ruin.