SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Psycroptic

Psycroptic Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 08-26-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
brett

So... the Symbols rerelease.

Has a Carcass cover, and the video clips for Alpha Breed and Epoch.
Thoughts?
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
scobrownl2

Personally i don't know why bands bother releasing an album with one extra song. I think its almost a little bit insulting as well considering i bought symbols the day it came out and now if i want to hear the cover of my favourite carcass song ill have to buy the album again or hope somebody uploads the re-release somewhere. Plus whats the point in putting two vids on it? If they were so keen to put video footage on they should have done what dimmu borgir did and include some live footage. Thats my opinion anyway.
scobrownl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
davecroptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobrownl2 View Post
Personally i don't know why bands bother releasing an album with one extra song. I think its almost a little bit insulting as well considering i bought symbols the day it came out and now if i want to hear the cover of my favourite carcass song ill have to buy the album again or hope somebody uploads the re-release somewhere. Plus whats the point in putting two vids on it? If they were so keen to put video footage on they should have done what dimmu borgir did and include some live footage. Thats my opinion anyway.
The reasoning behind the re-release was to add some extras onto the North American release of the album. Neurotic records and willowtip signed an agreement which enabled the album to be pressed and distributed within the North American market...therefore the album was going to be released there regardless of bonus material or not, so people didnt have to get the album on import. We had some extra material, so why not add it on? The material would have just been sitting on our computer if we didnt chuck it on. If the material was available at the time of the first release of the album, it would have been included

In reality, no one is going to buy the album again for the bonus material - as it will just get downloaded...as this is just the nature of the music industry these days. The film clip is widely available, and the day it comes out, I assume people will start sharing the cover.

Sure we would have loved to include much more material, but recording a live show, production, etc, etc, is very costly, and in this situation was unviable. Hopefully in the future
davecroptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #4
brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecroptic View Post
The reasoning behind the re-release was to add some extras onto the North American release of the album. Neurotic records and willowtip signed an agreement which enabled the album to be pressed and distributed within the North American market...therefore the album was going to be released there regardless of bonus material or not, so people didnt have to get the album on import. We had some extra material, so why not add it on? The material would have just been sitting on our computer if we didnt chuck it on. If the material was available at the time of the first release of the album, it would have been included

In reality, no one is going to buy the album again for the bonus material - as it will just get downloaded...as this is just the nature of the music industry these days. The film clip is widely available, and the day it comes out, I assume people will start sharing the cover.

Sure we would have loved to include much more material, but recording a live show, production, etc, etc, is very costly, and in this situation was unviable. Hopefully in the future
Hmm, yeah, using the word 're-release' in this case gives people the wrong idea. I shouldn't have used it either
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Sculpy

Good reasons, but I have to agree with the 're'release' tag. That's just wrong... but Dave's right, it isn't a big issue.

A much worse thing is the fact that you drum for Ruins. Tsk tsk tsk. Seriously dude, that's poor black metal... and such death metal drumming, as good as it is, just makes it worse.

Sorry for that aside, I just had to get it out my head. =)
Sculpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Transient
i wont

so if theres a new cover, will the shirt look differetn?
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
davecroptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SculptedCold View Post
Good reasons, but I have to agree with the 're'release' tag. That's just wrong... but Dave's right, it isn't a big issue.

A much worse thing is the fact that you drum for Ruins. Tsk tsk tsk. Seriously dude, that's poor black metal... and such death metal drumming, as good as it is, just makes it worse.

Sorry for that aside, I just had to get it out my head. =)
Ruins is something I love, and I couldnt honestly care what people think. I love it, so thats all that matters. What is 'poor' black metal anyway? Im only about doing what I want to do.

Technically it is a re-release, as its getting released again in a new area. For the retailers, etc this is an important issue if we want it to actually get into stores...they need to know its readly available. You cannot ever please everyone and someone will complain about what you do regardless.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
TreyAzagthoth
Molon Labe

ill buy it sometime, i personally think they should of waited and added a bit more extras on it since the album is only about a year and a half old but let the band do what they want i wont really complain.
TreyAzagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Sculpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecroptic View Post
Ruins is something I love, and I couldnt honestly care what people think. I love it, so thats all that matters. What is 'poor' black metal anyway? Im only about doing what I want to do.
Yeah man, that's what it's about. I wouldn't really try to convince anyone to not do what they want to do! I can only say, as a black metal fan, that listening to Ruins was an experience in simply wanting the album to end, which for me isn't altogether common. And you must care to some extent, otherwise why even acknowledge that I said anything? Let alone pose me a rhetorical question. You release music to the world, don't be surprised if some people think its shit, and tell you so. If everyone who loved music just went around kissing musicians' asses regardless of how cookie-cutter their work is, then crap music would just be encouraged to propagate.

To end on a lighter note, your lyrics (nevermind drumming) on Symbols are simply incredible. Death metal needs more of that.
Sculpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
Richo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient View Post
so if theres a new cover, will the shirt look differetn?
Er... a song cover.
Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #11
Hubtraacks
den den den *ting*

Quote:
I can only say, as a black metal fan, that listening to Ruins was an experience in simply wanting the album to end
you didnt listen to it properly.
Hubtraacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
caseydoom
very smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Er... a song cover.
ahahaha
caseydoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Refusal
ruker

Quote:
To end on a lighter note, your lyrics (nevermind drumming) on Symbols are simply incredible. Death metal needs more of that.
Yeah, Scepter was pretty bad ass in that regard too. Definitely my favorite lyrics for any DM album. As for Ruins, the drumming was the only thing keeping me into it... maybe because I don't listen to much Black Metal. Then again, I've only heard the album Spun Forth As Dark Nets, so if you're talking about their new one then I don't know.
Refusal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
captaincleanoff
metal connoisseur

ruins fucking rules. End of rant.

And dave, what ever happened to that gig that was filmed at the Marque in Sydney a few years back, the one that Gordo organised.

That was a fucking sweet gig, lots of cameras, crazy crowd, and you guys played well. Why not release this?
captaincleanoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
davecroptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincleanoff View Post
ruins fucking rules. End of rant.

And dave, what ever happened to that gig that was filmed at the Marque in Sydney a few years back, the one that Gordo organised.

That was a fucking sweet gig, lots of cameras, crazy crowd, and you guys played well. Why not release this?
i havent seen it...it kind of just fizzeled out i guess. there were problems with the sound recording I beleive, so I dont think it was up to scratch
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
SLIT YOUR GUTZ
SHIT YOUR BUTTS

Rep Power: 0 SLIT YOUR GUTZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the re-release. The Carcass cover is one of my favorite tracks on it. I'm more partial to the first two Psycroptics though. The songs on Symbols seemed to drag on for me, and had fewer memorable parts.
SLIT YOUR GUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote