Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Severed Savior

Severed Savior Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #61
chuck13

hi guys/m.gilbert

i am about to buy a preamp
i am between 1. ENGL E 570 (special edition)
2. VHT GP3
3. RANDALL MTS series

can you recommend me one of them (or any other preamp)
i own a VHT 2/90 poweramp

thanx for help guys
if you have some time check my band!! www.mysapace.com/vulnus
www.vulnus.net
chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:30 AM   #62
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck13
www.vulnus.net
does your band sell underwear?
hahaha dude, mysapace.com is an underwear website..
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #63
chuck13

very funny man!!
speak more about gear in this threat dude

Last edited by chuck13; 09-11-2006 at 05:41 AM..
Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 AM   #64
Goaters
無月

Quote:
very funny man!!
speak more about gear in this threat dude
hahaha.
my bad. i'm sorry to be so off topic
i will from now on only speak about gear on this thread.
and stuff.
if i were you i would splash out on the engl. i don't think you could ever go wrong by getting one of those.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #65
Vomitous

Posted this over on the DECREPIT BIRTH page as well but was wondering if Mike or anybody here could give me any suggestions as well!! I recently got an IBANEZ RG270DX and i am looking to change the pickups and looking some suggestions. Have been reading up on the likes of EMG's and DUNCAN INVADERS, and am looking for more suggestions. We tune to 'D' and i play through a Marshall valvestate head (VS100h). All help greatly appreciated!!
Vomitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:37 AM   #66
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 20 imbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewski
hey...im thinkin about buyin a preamp...is the engl e530 good for brutal tones? im thinkin about it cause its nice and cheap :)
imbutawaveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:34 AM   #67
M.Gilbert

Quote:
hi guys/m.gilbert

i am about to buy a preamp
i am between 1. ENGL E 570 (special edition)
2. VHT GP3
3. RANDALL MTS series

can you recommend me one of them (or any other preamp)
i own a VHT 2/90 poweramp

thanx for help guys
www.vulnus.net
Those are all fine preamps. And since you've listed 3 of the best preamps out there, you shouldn't forget about the legendary CAE 3+se preamp.
1. Engl e570: The most flexible and programmable of the 4. Also gets the most "brutal" high gain tones of the 4. Capable of just about any tone you could want, as long as you know how to dial it in. The most expensive of the 4, but IMO it's worth every penny.
2. VHT GP3: Excellent rock, hard rock, metal and clean tones. Not enough gain, or perceivable gain IMO for brutal death metal tones. But it can come quite close. Also, it's probably the tightest of any preamp. Some say it's too tight and unforgiving. Fairly pricey preamp, but well worth the money if you like the tones VHT's are capable of. Also it's quite flexible.
3. Randall modular preamp: This can also be found as the Egnater M4 modular preamp. Both were designed by Bruce Egnater and as far as I know, they are essentially the same. Excellent preamp with the unique modular design meaning you can choose 4 different channel modules depending on what tones you want. I've heard there are a couple modules in perticular that are great for metal/high gain tones, but I don't recall which exact modules they were. Heard a lot of good things about this preamp, but I personally would need more programmability, which is why this preamp was not an option for me. Reasonably priced. Not worth the money, imo.
4. CAE 3+SE: The legendary Custom Audio Electronics CAE 3+SE. Used by MANY pro's over the last 15 years or so. Can be modded to get great high gain tones. Stock, it's best known for it's cleans, low gain-medium gain and fairly high gain. Incredible sounding preamp. Arguably the best sounding preamp you can buy, if you don't play death metal. Not very flexible though. Only has 3 channels, but it does have some nice eq tweakability. Fairly expensive, but not as much as the Engl e570. Worth every penny.
M.Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #68
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomitous
Posted this over on the DECREPIT BIRTH page as well but was wondering if Mike or anybody here could give me any suggestions as well!! I recently got an IBANEZ RG270DX and i am looking to change the pickups and looking some suggestions. Have been reading up on the likes of EMG's and DUNCAN INVADERS, and am looking for more suggestions. We tune to 'D' and i play through a Marshall valvestate head (VS100h). All help greatly appreciated!!
For that body wood type (basswood), you want a pickup that is on the brighter and tighter side. An EMG 81 would work very well. Invaders would also be on the brighter/tighter side, but they can be a little too bright in some guitars. The Dimarzio Evo is a little on the looser side especially compared to the 81 and Invader, but it's worth considering as well.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:49 AM   #69
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltarsofMadness6
hey...im thinkin about buyin a preamp...is the engl e530 good for brutal tones? im thinkin about it cause its nice and cheap :)
The e530 doesn't have as much gain as the latest generation of Engl's, but it comes real close. I would say it could do lower gain death metal, like Death or Necrophagist, etc. It has a good amount of mids, with that Engl "character" to them that helps it cut through very good. But It might not have as much gain/brutal of a tone that you might be seeking.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #70
chuck13

thanx for help mike
you rule bro!!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #71
Ashesoficons

Hey Mike,

I read a posting a page back and you mentioned running a Line Out on a XXX Head into a POD with a Cabinet Emulator setting for Direct Recording.

I was wondering if you have done this and how it would actually be setup?

Would you set the POD to a Clean Channel?

Or would you be refuring to a POD Pro that has the Reamping Line in?

I am just curious if this actually works cuz I believe I have tryed using my POD Pro through an Effects loop to test the possibility of having use over the effects on a clean channel and it didnt work too well.

I never tryed a Line out into the POD and then from the POD to a power amp or Direct Recording.

I am curious to see if this works since I have considered getting some sort of Cabinet Emulator like the ADA Microcab or Palmer Speaker Emulator.

Thanks!
Ashesoficons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #72
Ashesoficons

Hey Mike,

I dont recall reading what you are using for effects at the moment?

I heard you guys at The Pound and your sound was awesome.

I also wanted to see what your opinion was on a good sounding Delays.

I have been wanting to switch from using my POD Pro to a Tube Head.

I have a XXX, a Madison Divinity, and an Ampeg VL-1002.

I Like the Ampeg and XXX alot but I miss having good delays. Maybe a shifter would be nice too.

I tryed some pedals but they are inconvenient as they really need to be in the effects loop of the amp to sound correct.

It works ok with the XXX since it has a foot switch for effects.

But I am considering a rack processor as well.

Wondering if the TC Electronics G Major is worth anything or maybe the Lexicon G2?

Something in the $500 range would be nice.

Thanks.
Ashesoficons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM   #73
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashesoficons
Hey Mike,

I read a posting a page back and you mentioned running a Line Out on a XXX Head into a POD with a Cabinet Emulator setting for Direct Recording.

I was wondering if you have done this and how it would actually be setup?

Would you set the POD to a Clean Channel?

Or would you be refuring to a POD Pro that has the Reamping Line in?

I am just curious if this actually works cuz I believe I have tryed using my POD Pro through an Effects loop to test the possibility of having use over the effects on a clean channel and it didnt work too well.

I never tryed a Line out into the POD and then from the POD to a power amp or Direct Recording.

I am curious to see if this works since I have considered getting some sort of Cabinet Emulator like the ADA Microcab or Palmer Speaker Emulator.

Thanks!
I haven't done this with a XXX. So I'm not sure exactly which line out can be used. (effects out, or line out/recording out). The problem is wether or not those outputs work when the amp is on standby. If the amp needs to be turned off standby, then it needs to be plugged into a cabinet, which kind of negates the whole purpose of recording quietly/direct. As far as settings on the pod, you should be able to bypass the preamp section and just use it for cabinet emulation. But if you have the money for a Palmer PGA-4 or another Palmer speaker emulator, that would definately be the best way to go.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #74
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashesoficons
Hey Mike,

I dont recall reading what you are using for effects at the moment?

I heard you guys at The Pound and your sound was awesome.

I also wanted to see what your opinion was on a good sounding Delays.

I have been wanting to switch from using my POD Pro to a Tube Head.

I have a XXX, a Madison Divinity, and an Ampeg VL-1002.

I Like the Ampeg and XXX alot but I miss having good delays. Maybe a shifter would be nice too.

I tryed some pedals but they are inconvenient as they really need to be in the effects loop of the amp to sound correct.

It works ok with the XXX since it has a foot switch for effects.

But I am considering a rack processor as well.

Wondering if the TC Electronics G Major is worth anything or maybe the Lexicon G2?

Something in the $500 range would be nice.

Thanks.
Thanks! I use a TC G-Major, but it will soon be replaced with a G-Force.
The G-Major would work well for what you want. And having built in relay switches to change amp channels is definately usefull. The Lexicon unit might sound slightly better overall, but they are much more difficult to program than a G-Major.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #75
littlephil0

randall amps

What do you think of randalls? I have the vmax2 they put out the one that has the tube meets soild state just seeing what you thought of the company thanks.
littlephil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #76
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil0
What do you think of randalls? I have the vmax2 they put out the one that has the tube meets soild state just seeing what you thought of the company thanks.
i don't think much of the company, i see the amps lying around music shops and i never stop to check them out. the boss of randall amps also smells.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #77
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Rep Power: 20 imbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewskiimbutawaveto beat up jewski
hey mike...

theres a switch on the back of my xxx and it says

damping
tight mid loose

its set on tight...but what does it do?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:38 AM   #78
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlephil0
Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't have much experiance with Randall heads. I've played a few that sounded pretty good though.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 AM   #79
M.Gilbert

Quote:
hey mike...

theres a switch on the back of my xxx and it says

damping
tight mid loose

its set on tight...but what does it do?
It changes the voicing a bit on the amp. The tight setting is good for rhythm stuff, but for leads I would switch it to mid or loose.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:35 AM   #80
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

thanks mike.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:01 AM   #81
malevolence

Question

Hi there I'm new to the board, well have been reading for awhile just never registered..I have recently purchased an Engl 570 pre and a VHT 2.90.2 power amp and had some questions on rack mounting the two amps.. I bought a SKB ATA case with front and rear rails. Being the weights on these two amps are particular hefty ( mostly the VHT ) do I need some type of rear support? I worry about all the weight just being on the front end. Or is it really nothing to worry about? If there is something I could use, maybe incorporating the rear rails what would it be?
malevolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:34 AM   #82
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malevolence
Hi there I'm new to the board, well have been reading for awhile just never registered..I have recently purchased an Engl 570 pre and a VHT 2.90.2 power amp and had some questions on rack mounting the two amps.. I bought a SKB ATA case with front and rear rails. Being the weights on these two amps are particular hefty ( mostly the VHT ) do I need some type of rear support? I worry about all the weight just being on the front end. Or is it really nothing to worry about? If there is something I could use, maybe incorporating the rear rails what would it be?
Hey,
Congrats on the new setup. Good choices!
You should be fine and not have to worry about bending the rack rails, but if you want to play it safe you can get a non-sliding rack shelf or rack tray to support the rear of the 2/90/2. Something like these should do the job:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ray?sku=424102
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...elf?sku=421643
Mount something like that to the rear rack rails and it "should" do the trick.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #83
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

mike...for rackmount stuff i should use instrument cables not speaker cables right?

rackmount stuff like...connecting my head to my decimator and my sonic maximizer...and what order should it be in?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #84
M.Gilbert

Quote:
mike...for rackmount stuff i should use instrument cables not speaker cables right?

rackmount stuff like...connecting my head to my decimator and my sonic maximizer...and what order should it be in?
Yup, Instrument cables always except when connecting a poweramp to a speaker cabinet. As far as the order of you signal chain, first thing after the guitar should be the Decimator, then to the amp's input, then put the BBE in the effects loop of the amp.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #85
imbutawaveto
NIGGA GUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gilbert
Yup, Instrument cables always except when connecting a poweramp to a speaker cabinet. As far as the order of you signal chain, first thing after the guitar should be the Decimator, then to the amp's input, then put the BBE in the effects loop of the amp.

arent i supposed to be running the decimator through the loop as well?

i got the pro rack g...
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 AM   #86
shroudofimpurity

Fuck, I gotta throw this out there since its a gear thread. (Regulars at the Decrepit forum might have already heard me say this)

I recently picked up a Peavey 5150II, and I cant say enough good things about it... It sounds beyond heavy... but the note definition and cut through are perfect. Now, I hear people claim that this amp is muddy, but that could be old tubes or maybe the fact that they are cranking the gain all the way... I keep my gain between 6-7, because the distortion stays very tight at that level. Anyway, I'm running it with 2 Vader 4x12 cabs, and my Jackson Sl-1 with an EVO in the bridge... sounds HUGE!! My only complaint is the feedback... it gets pretty bad at times, so I suppose I need a Decimator.

Anyway, my next step is to send it to Voodoo for the mod and some new tubes... I've heard nothing but good things about how these sound moded. I cant wait, but for now, I'm really happy with my 5150 II! I will definitely be using it on the new Decrepit Birth album...
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 AM   #87
Goaters
無月

i wanna see what these fender 5150iii will be like, probubly wont be good for DM.. maybe suited for more metalcore, modern metal styles. it's like.. where's the question?.. and i'm going "i don't know?".. but i'm wondering if it was just jack owens settings or if the digitech 2112s are naturally muddy and very midzy.. if you know what i mean?..
Forced to bleed was recorded with a 2112 right?.. i quite like that tone.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:09 AM   #88
shroudofimpurity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters
i wanna see what these fender 5150iii will be like, probubly wont be good for DM.. maybe suited for more metalcore, modern metal styles. it's like.. where's the question?.. and i'm going "i don't know?".. but i'm wondering if it was just jack owens settings or if the digitech 2112s are naturally muddy and very midzy.. if you know what i mean?..
Forced to bleed was recorded with a 2112 right?.. i quite like that tone.
I used my 2120 for the bloodletting tour, and people were coming up to me nightly saying that the tone sounded really heavy... 2120 being almost the same thing as the 2112. But I think Jack used a 2101 in Cannibal. I'm almost completely sure that Mike used a 2101 on F.T.B. but I could be wrong, as far as I know the 2120, 2112 are quite a bit different than the 2101. Either way, I liked my 2120... but I never got the warm tube tone like the 5150 gets, and the 2120 doesnt come close to the 5150 in the note definition department. Also, its so easy to use the 5150, and all the controls are right there, nice and simple... such a change from programing presets...
shroudofimpurity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:35 AM   #89
M.Gilbert

Quote:
arent i supposed to be running the decimator through the loop as well?

i got the pro rack g...
Ahh, in that case yes the 2n channel will go in the loop before the BBE but the 1st channel of the Decimator proG must go in between the guitar and amp input to work properly. (not sure if you already knew that but I wanted to clarify)
Old 12-22-2006, 03:08 AM   #90
M.Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroudofimpurity
Fuck, I gotta throw this out there since its a gear thread. (Regulars at the Decrepit forum might have already heard me say this)

I recently picked up a Peavey 5150II, and I cant say enough good things about it... It sounds beyond heavy... but the note definition and cut through are perfect. Now, I hear people claim that this amp is muddy, but that could be old tubes or maybe the fact that they are cranking the gain all the way... I keep my gain between 6-7, because the distortion stays very tight at that level. Anyway, I'm running it with 2 Vader 4x12 cabs, and my Jackson Sl-1 with an EVO in the bridge... sounds HUGE!! My only complaint is the feedback... it gets pretty bad at times, so I suppose I need a Decimator.

Anyway, my next step is to send it to Voodoo for the mod and some new tubes... I've heard nothing but good things about how these sound moded. I cant wait, but for now, I'm really happy with my 5150 II! I will definitely be using it on the new Decrepit Birth album...
Hey dude,
Congrats on the new amp! Good to hear you are happy with it.
The feedback can be several things. Most commonly:
1. A microphonic tube.
Usually it's the V1 or first position preamp tube that would be more prone to creating feedback. But it can also be caused by any of the other tubes. Easy and fairly inexpensive fix if this is the cause.
2. Amp settings.
You might (unfortunately) have to compromise slightly on the tone to lessen feedback. I would turn off any noise gate you got going, and let the amp feedback. Then go through each eq knob and find out which one contributes the most to the feedback.
3. Pickups and or guitar issues.
Tube amps are in general more prone to feedback. But even though you may not have had as much feedback with your previous amp using the same exact guitar, the guitar could still be contributing to it. The Evo I had in my SLSMG was prone to feedback more than my EMG's. But not much more.
First, put some foam underneath the pickups. Also, if using a guitar with a tremelo, wrap electrical tape around the tremelo springs (I also put foam underneath them). If using a tune-o-matic setup, wrap electrical tape around the strings behind the bridge. All 3 of those things have caused serious feedback problems for me in the past, and the fixes worked very well.
Switching noise gates isn't going to solve this problem. No matter what gate you use, bad feedback is going to affect it's ability to function properly.
I'd start with sound deadening on the guitar first, try a different cable, then pinpoint the eq knob contributing most to the feedback and if all those fail change the preamp tubes.
The Voodoo mods own. The 5150 mods Trace does get very good reviews.
I plan on having my Engl preamp modded there too.