SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Enthroned

Enthroned Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 08-15-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
dehond
Grim

new df album

new dark funeral album out on 24th of october "atterus totus sanctus" for those who are interest
dehond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Mephistos
Grim Reaper

Huh, cool!
Mephistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Marcelo

i like t he way this albums sounds like!!! in my particular opinion, a bit better than the previous onw 'diabolis interium'
Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Morthvargr
Modern Heretic

I honestly haven't gotten a chance to hear anything off of this album yet. I hope it's as good as 'Secrets of the Black Arts' or 'Vobiscum Sathanas'. I wasn't all too thrilled with 'Diabolus Interium'. I like their earlier stuff.

When the album first came out and hit shelves here in Canada, keep in mind they are more expensive because they're imported here, that the one disc was $35 bucks Canadian! A lot of my friends were pretty pissed about that. I sure hope that isn't the case now.

Also, I heard the title is Latin for "Destroy All Holiness" or "Destroy Everything Sacred" if I'm not mistaken. If anyone knows Latin, maybe they could make a more accurate translation than I can. :bang:
Morthvargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
Surt
brutulord

ATTERA = equals a form of 'attero' meaning to waste, weaken, impair, ruin, rub against, rub away, erode. A more apt choice of word would have been 'aboleo' (to destroy, abolish, annul, do away with, obliterate)

TOTUS = whole, entire, all. Think the English word 'total'

SANCTUS = roughly means sacred and holy - ie where the English word sanctity comes from and part of where 'sacrosanct' comes from.

Translating Latin often requires a intuitive knowledge of the motives and context behind what is being written, so it's easy to read 'attera totus sanctus' as 'destroy all things holy' or 'destroy all holiness', regardless of how grammatically correct it is.

If Nornagest reads this he might point out if/where I've gone wrong but from my understanding of Latin, that's pretty much what it means.
Surt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:23 AM   #6
protector
tilintetgjøre

Well, the exact translation is "to weaken everything that is Holy".

I don't really agree with the first sens of this title but I guess Dark Funeral meant something like " to weaken the whole christianity".

Holy has a propoer meaning like for example a Satanic Grimoire can be Holy as well... anyhow...
protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #7
Surt
brutulord

like i said, Latin is not a language of exacts, it is a language of context and perception.

What I said was pretty much the case, it's all in the summation and amalgamation of the parts into one sum total. There is no literal translation as it would not fit into English grammar.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:49 AM   #8
DARK USURPER
Usurper of the throne

The problem with Dark Funeral has always been the same since the beginning and I find this most recent album to be nothing of an exception. I think most of the songs on an album tend to sound very simmilar, its a real lack of destinctable tracks and overall they seem to always pass right under the bar of any real unique creativity and furthermore a major lack of personal/emotional (black metal) essence. To me Dark Funeral is hallow, trite and most of all just plain boring! A real let down to see they still hold onto the withered threads of these moldy old satanic concepts, I wrote better lyrics at 16, lol! The new album was pretty much one of my most regretable BM purchases of the year. I'll take Marduk, Gorgoroth or Enthroned over DF anyday, they play somewhat in the same vein although they are obviously length(s) ahead, both in musical ability and the ultimate understanding of black metal!

On a side note, I did find their last vist to LA quite impressive. They played a great live show, save for the cutting guitars here and there. I still look foward to catching them with Enslaved in January but I just dont see what all the hype is about over Dark Funeral who have never even released an "outstanding" black metal album.

Last edited by DARK USURPER; 11-26-2006 at 04:52 AM..
DARK USURPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Surt
brutulord

hmmm i can see what you mean.

I'm not all together sure myself why they seem to get quite so much hype and hyperbole as a lot of the songs do sound highly similar but they do also produce some distinct individual songs that are just as good as individual ones by any of those bands you mentioned.

It's just with albums of ten songs all sounding so similar the impact of each song gets lessened the more you listen to it in one batch.

I can't exactly see how the lyrics are "trite" considering i've heard far worse (cheesy/gore/'satanic') lyrics not just in death metal - where you'd pretty much expect it to a certain degree - but in black metal too.
Yes they're not Nietszche for the new generation but since when has lyricism taken fundamental importance over the music?
Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
Nornagest
Holy Moderator

Because in BLACK Metal Lyrics are as much important than the music!
Nornagest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Morthvargr
Modern Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nornagest
Because in BLACK Metal Lyrics are as much important than the music!
EXACTLY. Both are importantly essential. Without good riffs, you only have a spoken poem of ideal. Without good lyrics, you have a mere instumental (depending on the instrumental quality).
Morthvargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Surt
brutulord

well, to clarify i wasn't demeaning the importance of lyrics, more the fact that regardless of how 'trite' one might find the lyrics of Dark Funeral, they - at least to me - are far from the generic attempts, sometimes at rhyming, of lyricists.

I think the importance people can over assert on lyrics can be just as detrimental as it can be positive though, inspiring notions of being un'true' or not being 'krieg' enough simply because a bands lyrics aren't on a par with contemporary poetry set to music.

if anything, I think it's this relative closed-mindedness that prevented me from getting into a fair bit of black metal to begin with, as while the ideologies and manifestos set forth were one thing, there's all too epidemic an urge to criticise anything and everything that dares to try and be it's own entity.
Pretty much self-perpetuating the many stereotypes and clichés about "BLACK metal" and it's listeners.

This isn't an attack on black metal or it's fans on the whole, just the inherently far more narrow-minded self-destructive philosophy that seems to drive people who by and large listen solely (or mainly) to black metal, without the scope or mental capacity to look beyond it.

gah, i'm no doubt going to get flamed for saying this and most probably have my words twisted out of all intended context, but I'm saying what I'm saying because i have the "benefit" of I guess coming from a more death metal oriented outlook/experience but also having witnessed people myopically write off a bands entire discography without even listening to it simply because of what they sing about or how efficient the grammar they use to string their lyrics together is.

No wonder it's a widespread notion that black metal takes itself too seriously.

I guess I'm just not 'true' enough to comprehend all the microscopic deconstruction & criticising of a BM bands every last finite detail required before a band is officially sanctioned as being 'worthy' enough to be regarded as okay.

/whinge
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
necrayas

I like Dark Funeral a lot. Espaicelly Diabolis Interium album.You can clearly reckonise a song it's not that it is like : " is this heart of ice or hail murder?". It's a matter of personal taste afterall...

Off topic : @ Morthvarg , is their much difference between the Canadian dollar and the US dollar?
necrayas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Nornagest
Holy Moderator

To Surt :

The expression of lyrics within the BM scene is ona different level for us at least: we are talking about things we live every day of our life at the opposite there are bands that are using this Satanic/occult concept as a gimmick or a way to "show off" (themselves which is a proof of weakness to me).
The thing is that in it's early days and in it's original /pure form BM is meant to be metal music BUT with a serious thought/concept about a belief (here Satanism & occultism) that is their own and that they live and/or practice.

Too many people, like 15 years old kids (even younger) or 45 years old idiots pretends to be satanists just because they are really into those bands and in fact they know fuck all about what it is or if they know it's just because they learned books in a similar way as school studies just to, as I said , show off! but how many of them are REALLY what they claim to be or think to be...???

Anyway, just to say that altho many people will not understand :
In Black metal music is the support for the message, the thought and the faith, but to add some power and life to this message the music should represent what the musicians are and feel and how many BM musicians out there are just stealing ideas or riffs from another one?

it's because of all those pretenders that most of the BM has become a joke and I am the first one to mock those "Panda bear painted kids trying to be ooooh soo evol"! There's a difference between those you see on the surface and the rest....
It's a bit comparable to an iceberg, what you see on top is laughable but what's underneith is where the whole core and essence (danger? maybe :p ) stands ...

Well, I guess you get my point.

Last edited by Nornagest; 11-29-2006 at 03:11 PM..
Old 11-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #15
Nornagest
Holy Moderator

The rest of the discussion has been moved to another thread :

Speaker's corner...

Get back on tracks, this was getting off topic altho in a very interesting way, so see above mentionned thread if you want to continue this conversation.
So over here just talk about the "new" DF album.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 PM   #16
necrayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nornagest

Too many people, like 15 years old kids (even younger) or 45 years old idiots pretends to be satanists just because they are really into those bands.

Well, I guess you get my point.
I get youre point but not all 15 year old "kids" who are into those bands are Satanists or find it cool to listen to 'Satanic' bands. I don't like those "pointing fingers at 15/16 year old" "kids".

About Dark Funeral ,
I like the band a lot as I said in my previous post. I like the cold evil feeling on Vobiscum Sathanas and the warmth on Diabolis Interium. And yes the lyrics aren't poetic highlights but there also not childish. There's nothing wrong with "I invoke the flying goddess, come out from the gorge of night.
Spread your darkened wings, and soar above the ground.
Ravenna, strigoi mortii.
Cast thy shadow over earth, in answer of my calls. "-Ravenna Strigoi Mortii.
I don't know if they are really into Satanism/Devil whorhipping or if they know more about it then the 15 year old kids.I don't really care for that.I like their music and so be it if someone else dislikes them so be it.

As for their new Aterra Totus Sanctus I like the music it reminds me of Diabolis Interium but faster. The vocals are kind of a let down but you get used to them. Still not better then previous one's.
necrayas is offline   Reply With Quote