SMNnews Forums SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > Official Band Forums > Between The Buried And Me > General Chat

Old 03-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #211
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

ceddeeoo beat up jewskiceddeeoo beat up jewski
No actually I haven't seen it, although I've had it torrented for probably a year now. Will get around to it eventually.

Just saw Videodrome. It was really good but I found the ending very lackluster.
And the heavens, had no light.
And all the cities thereof were destroyed
At the presence of the LORD,
And before His fierce anger.
For thus saith the LORD:
The whole land shall be desolate;
Yet will I not make a full end.
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #212
~~~
harderator

~~~ beat up jewski
i went on a really bad streak of watching movies with great beginnings and terrible endings last semester. i don't remember all of them, but i know it started with garden state.
~~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #213
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

Darcangelo beat up jewski
have y'all seen Fandango? Costner, Judd Nelson..
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #214
Deathface
Old

Deathface slam gang member
Watched "Warrior" a few weeks back, the MMA movie with Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte. That shit was waaaaay better than what I was expecting. One of the best movies I've seen in a while, some of it comes off as unrealistic for sure, but it definitely took me by complete surprise with how good I thought it was overall. Watch that shit if you haven't already.
Deathface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #215
guitarplaya18

guitarplaya18 slam gang member
Watch Primer. Pretty much about these dudes that accidentally make some sort of time travel device. Great fucking movie that confused the hell out of me. Here is a timeline of the events in the movie. Don't spoil the movie for yourself, but just look at how crazy it is.

New Not Shit Band (Music Soon): www.fictionsband.bandcamp.com
guitarplaya18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #216
worldcapsized

worldcapsized slam gang member
i watched primer a few years ago and i didn't think it lived up to the hype....probably should re-watch. watched this a few nights ago, some of the best dialogue i've seen in a film. brilliant.

and i had a lucid dream of vagina last night, unfortuneately it wasnt actually there it was on the phone. it was like phone sex operation 20 years in the future, when somehow a psychic forcefield of vaginal interface encompass my penile erection making my ejaculate into invisible cumbucket, all via a cheap phone call---sounds like a plan huh? final transcendence of body via technology etcetera
worldcapsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #217
mcweezlestein

mcweezlestein slam gang member
Watched "In the Name of the Father" for the fist time. Awesome movie and Daniel Day Lewis might be the best actor on earth.
mcweezlestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #218
siegewar
ugay

siegewar karmablade
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcweezlestein View Post
Daniel Day Lewis might be the best actor on earth.
duh

Watched The Troll Hunter the other night. Pretty entertaining for being a "found footage" movie.

siegewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #219
Deathface
Old

Yeah Troll Hunter was actually pretty awesome imo. I didn't know what the fuck to think during the first 30 minutes, the ending was so bad ass.

Never heard of Primer, sounds interesting though so i'll be checking it out.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #220
guitarplaya18

haha, Troll Hunter was pretty funny and badass.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #221
guitarplaya18

Also, check out The Man From Earth. It's about a man that has lived for over 14,000 years and he tells a group of his colleagues about it. It all takes place in a cabin as the guy tells his story to the other 5 or 6 people in the room. Sounds boring but it was very interesting.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #222
skin_blanketed
Moderated

skin_blanketed slam gang member
http://qntm.org/primer
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #223
guitarplaya18

fuck

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #224
Deathface
Old

Damn been a while since there's been a post in this thread haha. Watched "We Need to Talk About Kevin" last night. What an unbelievably fucked up movie, excellent performances all around, especially by the three actors who played Kevin. Shit was awesome.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #225
siegewar
ugay

siegewar karmablade

siegewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #226
worldcapsized

best film i've seen in a long time. i'm usually pretty good at calling the endings of movies before they happen but this one hit me like a ton o' bricks. it's about a writer who follows a thief, who ends up taking the writer under his wing and showing him how he gets down.....check diss!!

and i had a lucid dream of vagina last night, unfortuneately it wasnt actually there it was on the phone. it was like phone sex operation 20 years in the future, when somehow a psychic forcefield of vaginal interface encompass my penile erection making my ejaculate into invisible cumbucket, all via a cheap phone call---sounds like a plan huh? final transcendence of body via technology etcetera
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #227
Works0fheart

Works0fheart beat up jewski
Any Netflix recommendations? I've been on a bit of a kick with it lately and I know there are good movies on there, but sometimes it's just too hard to sift through all of the shit.
Works0fheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #228
worldcapsized

one post above yours ^^^
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 AM   #229
Works0fheart

Works0fheart beat up jewski
Pretty interesting sounding plot, I'll check it out.
Works0fheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #230
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

Nun Stampede! beat up john dwyer
I tried to watch Twin Peaks high once and I just couldn't get into it at all, I felt like nothing had any semblance to reality, and I wasn't sure which emotions it was supposed to be conjuring inside of me. I'll give it a fairer chance at some point.

I have a sinus infection so I've been pretty much watching movies for the last three days, so I'll put them in list form and keep the review part pretty short.

Grizzly Man
Definitely a cool collection of archived footage, and it was cool that Werner went into depth about the character where most people viewing the footage would not, but I couldn't really find myself giving a fuck about he guy's personality so this one didnt really move me. An eccentric, wannabe, LA-type motherfuck who doesn't get a part and decided to romanticize bears. I think his actual interaction with the bears is completely enthralling, but that was not the focus of the film. Also, negative points for referencing audio from the bear attack and then not putting it in the film. It's a good documentary, but it is not a masterpiece as everyone was telling me it was.

Cloverfield
I love this movie, and most of it's perceived shortcomings. It felt pretty fucking real and I'm disappointed that I missed it in theaters.

Enter the Void

Miraculous camerawork. Seriously. Worth watching.

Traffic
As many simultaneous sub-plots converge, we are learn that there are no heroes or victors of the war on drugs. A politician learns that his stances are based in naivety; a cartel pusher learns the darker realities of his involvement with drugs; a housewife shows that there are no clean hands in the drug business; and an agent learns the futility of his cause. Cinematography is awesome. I loved how sandy and yellow mexico was and how you could tell the country of every shot based on the filter. Story is sad, awesome, etc. The 16 year old girl subplot was so depressing and upsetting (ina good way)

The Raven
I can see how Poe fanboys would be butthurt about the leap from reality this film takes, although surrounding itself with real facts about Poe and placing it in a realistic timeline from his life, but I feel like that would be missing the point. There have been a number of fictional works about the end of Poe's life up to this point and I think the reason for this is the ambiguity of his final days. [A basic knowledge of this does help the movie experience, as well.] This isn't the first work to romanticize his death, and honestly it's a lot more entertaining than most of the other ones that I've caught. It might not be a masterpiece, but at the very least, one can enjoy the visual counterparts to Poe's work (although they are at times bastardized, or at least hurried in the film to fit the plot).
Yeah I wrote that about it earlier, but honestly, I think its more of a 2.5. Not essential, but i had a bit of a soft spot for it. A lot better than ALVH and other such rubbish.

In the loop
This movie takes the absurdity of Dr. Strangelove and marries it with the modern wit and self-awareness of The Office. The dialogue in this movie is top-notch and completely submerged in the kind of sarcasm a system as flawed as ours deserves.
One of my favorite comedies as of recently.

Control Room
An interesting look into the way the War in Iraq was initiated from a view other than American News Media. It's easy to empathize with Al Jazeera in this one. There are times where I wish I would've made itself more objective, only because it makes it so we have two conflicting subjective opinions on everything instead of one objective one. Basically the story of the USA being an over-entitled, only-child-complex-having, dangerous, self-righteous global-policing bully.

The Interrupters
Documentary about violent crime prevention in Chicago coming from ex-felons. It was good. There's some aggravating pointless drama in it, but it paints a pretty decent picture of how things progress to build a violent culture. The Interrupters do a pretty good job relating to the hotheaded people in these situations and trying to disarm the situation before it increases the already HUGE violent crime/murder rate in chicago.

Network
EXCELLENT movie. Watch if you haven't. The protagonist just has enough, goes into boss mode, and then his environment surprisingly and accidentally suits him for a while. Full of good social commentary (in 1976) that is more relevant now than it was in 1976.

Club Dread
Decent comedy. Not the most creative movie in the world, but there are some pretty good crude jokes, some good gags, some awesome references, and some really fucking nice female bodies. I liked the extent to which they drew out the pointless "suspense" scenes.

Some Kind of Monster or Rich, Egotistical Has-Beens Need Help of Therapist to Write Shitty Nu-Metal Album
LOL. Why the fuck did I think it would be a good idea to watch this even though it is about St. Anger? I guess it would be interesting if you were a complete fucking Metallica fanboy so you could learn some unimportant detail about these douchebags. Jesus christ.

Quest for the Lost Civilisation
fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfa pfapfap
sorry, but seriously.

Project Nim
Interesting little project about a professor who decided he wants to see if a chimp can learn sign language by imposing it on normal families who treat it as if it was their child. At first interesting for the progress of said goal. Then interesting because of the obvious repercussions of trying something like this. Then sad because of the way our culture treats animals for being animals. I disagree with the professors final findings in a way but I don't want to give spoilers. See if you can pick up on what I did. I might have just been the way the movie was put together.

Kymatica
Not bad. Was interesting, informative, and remained more objective than most "conspiracy" documentaries. Also, I feel like it tries to instill the right mindset from the subject matter. It tells you why you're enslaved and fucked, and then encourages you to transcend your boundaries.

Zeitgeist
I thought I was going to love this after Act I. That was so interesting. But then the other Acts had NOTHING to do with the first one and got all nine-eleveny. I felt like the first act should have been removed to make this not a jumbled mess, and then when that was done, it would have NO redeeming factors. It's not that I don't agree with some of the opinions expressed, its that when you run as wild and subjectively as some of the later portions do, you discredit yourself and sound like a whiny teenager.

Oh, and
Four Lions
It has some decent writing, but the absurdity of the subject matter makes it all hit harder. There are some flashes of brilliance, but most of the characters remain flat in the "dumb terrorist" schtick, and there is really no back story as to how these random British-Pakis become jihadists.

Last edited by Nun Stampede!; 10-14-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Nun Stampede! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #231
DillingerEscapePlan
RH

DillingerEscapePlan is luke jaeger
"In the Loop" was great, I love that humor.

Saw "Looper"...and while it was ok, it just made me want to watch "Primer" again.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #232
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

Watched "Into the Abyss" last night and that was WAY better than Grizzly Man. Goddamn, that docu had my neck hair on end.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #233
DillingerEscapePlan
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nun Stampede! View Post
Watched "Into the Abyss" last night and that was WAY better than Grizzly Man. Goddamn, that docu had my neck hair on end.
Watched this last night. I found it pretty interesting, but a bit preachy IMO.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #234
Nun Stampede!
Lives in a houseboat

How so? He makes it really clear what his position on the subject is, but I feel like he doesn't interject much and kind of just explains the details and lets the story make it's point.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #235
worldcapsized

watched this last night. holy shit. it's about a cop who is allergic to music and is in charge of capturing a group of 6 drummers who are performing around the city. that synopsis might make it sound lame but honestly it had one of the most amazing scores and original scripts I have ever seen/heard. download this film NOW

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/64769...DRip.XviD.5rFF

Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #236
Durchfall

Durchfall slam gang member
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcapsized View Post
watched this last night. holy shit. it's about a cop who is allergic to music and is in charge of capturing a group of 6 drummers who are performing around the city. that synopsis might make it sound lame but honestly it had one of the most amazing scores and original scripts I have ever seen/heard. download this film NOW

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/64769...DRip.XviD.5rFF

dude that movie is amazing. i love the compositions in it. and the plot is just fucking downright cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipants View Post
If he goes down on one knee it's a fail
If she goes down on two it's a win
Durchfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #237
handofstone

handofstone is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #238
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

ceddeeoo beat up jewskiceddeeoo beat up jewski
you guys should watch The Cabin in the Woods. lotta fun
And the heavens, had no light.
And all the cities thereof were destroyed
At the presence of the LORD,
And before His fierce anger.
For thus saith the LORD:
The whole land shall be desolate;
Yet will I not make a full end.
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #239
DillingerEscapePlan
RH

Yeah I liked Cabin. Finally saw "I'm Still Here"...awesome.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #240
DrakeDR

DrakeDR slam gang member
Re: Movie Recommendations / Reviews

Cabin Fever. A classic :)
DrakeDR is offline   Reply With Quote