SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Works0fheart

School Stuff

Starting classes again monday. Kind of looking forward to it actually.

Thought I'd ask seeing as there's people from all over here. Anyone have any experience with study abroad or exchange programs?

http://www.globalinksabroad.org/stud...egrees_abroad/

I've been looking into this and I'm very interested in pursuing my Bachelors in a place that isn't here because I think the experience would be incredible. A lot of the programs that are offered through UCF here are 4 month programs and while that sounds like it would be fun, I'd really like to have some more time somewhere else to where I could maybe start taking care of moving out of the US altogether.
Works0fheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
ceddeeoo
LORD OF DARKNESS

Re: School Stuff

Hmm I only see Australian, New Zealand and UK schools being listed there ?
ceddeeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
alteredstate

About to start what is (hopefully) my last semester in college. Ironically, this is my first semester ever in which I am on the wait list/have to crash every class I am taking. Fun.
alteredstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Alejandro4891

i graduated this past may so i'm done with school, at least until i decide whether or not to go to grad school or do something else.
Alejandro4891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Skull Knight

I want to go back to school but it's so goddamn expensive in the US. I'd have to switch to a student visa which I cannot afford to do.
Skull Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Works0fheart

That it is. I'm trying to see what I can get situated in the way of grants, scholarships, and loans right now myself. Financial aid covers my classes right now but if I wanted to go to a University or something later I'd basically count on spending upwards of 45k.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #7
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N.
ain't got no agua

I spent a semester in Leiden, Netherlands, and intended to study in Cha-Am, Thailand but safety issues made them reluctant to send students to Thailand at the time.

The University I went to offered study abroad programs throughout Europe and Southeast Asia, but they had their own campuses, or worked in conjunction with Universities in the region. I don't have experience in actually coordinating it because the University facilitates travel plans and provides dorms/residence.

If I recall correctly, the US State Department offers 'critical language' programs designed for American students to become proficient in certain foreign languages. I believe they pay travel expenses and provide per diem, but one would have to probably teach English to locals and plan to utilize the language in their future career. Plans were in order for me to study in Japan, but then Fukushima Diiachi happened. So, what the fuck, Asia doesn't want me.

There's also a program where you can study for a semester on a ship, I don't know what the fuck that is all about.
D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Works0fheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.O.B.G.Y.N. View Post
I spent a semester in Leiden, Netherlands, and intended to study in Cha-Am, Thailand but safety issues made them reluctant to send students to Thailand at the time.

The University I went to offered study abroad programs throughout Europe and Southeast Asia, but they had their own campuses, or worked in conjunction with Universities in the region. I don't have experience in actually coordinating it because the University facilitates travel plans and provides dorms/residence.

If I recall correctly, the US State Department offers 'critical language' programs designed for American students to become proficient in certain foreign languages. I believe they pay travel expenses and provide per diem, but one would have to probably teach English to locals and plan to utilize the language in their future career. Plans were in order for me to study in Japan, but then Fukushima Diiachi happened. So, what the fuck, Asia doesn't want me.

There's also a program where you can study for a semester on a ship, I don't know what the fuck that is all about.
I have a friend who's actually getting ready to go do that same thing in Japan but he doesn't speak Japanese at all. I think he's going to be like an actual english/grammar teacher is what he means though. Regardless, everything is paid for during the duration of him being there, so that's actually what caught my interest into looking into it myself...

Only...

Not in Japan so I don't have to worry about having mutants for babies one day.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Antæos

Writing my MSc thesis on transcriptome annotation with Machine Learning techniques.
Antæos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

Got bored after two years of "Systemdevelopment/science" so gonna start study Mechanical Engineering instead.
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Raad
'sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Reduction View Post
Got bored after two years of "Systemdevelopment/science" so gonna start study Mechanical Engineering instead.
Where? If it's Maskinteknik you mean then I think it's a pretty good choice. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised have been for those kinds of engineers.

I'm finishing my Master's degree in Applied Mathematics this year. Then it's off to wage slave in the weapons/car industry until my $53000 student loans are paid off and I finally die
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Works0fheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raad View Post

I'm finishing my Master's degree in Applied Mathematics this year. Then it's off to wage slave in the weapons/car industry until my $53000 student loans are paid off and I finally die
Can I get a 'Murica?

Oh wait, Sweden it seems.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:39 AM   #13
Goaters
無月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Works0fheart View Post
Not in Japan so I don't have to worry about having mutants for babies one day.
ooh man, stay away from seafood as well then. Especially Tuna

I'm into the last stretch of my second year studying VFX. Digital sweat factories here I come!
Goaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 AM   #14
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raad View Post
Where? If it's Maskinteknik you mean then I think it's a pretty good choice. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised have been for those kinds of engineers.

Yup Maskinteknik it is, though only the 3 year version. I feel I dont have the energy for a 5 years with masters and stuff. And they got it in my hometown here in Dalarna so thats chill

I take it you study at Chalmers? I so envy you, math is my favourite!
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
Works0fheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaters View Post
ooh man, stay away from seafood as well then. Especially Tuna

I'm into the last stretch of my second year studying VFX. Digital sweat factories here I come!
That's disheartening to hear because I eat sushi at least once a week...

Also, at least you'll have a cool job. I'd always thought it seemed interesting enough anyways.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 22 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #17
Raad
'sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honky Reduction View Post
Yup Maskinteknik it is, though only the 3 year version. I feel I dont have the energy for a 5 years with masters and stuff. And they got it in my hometown here in Dalarna so thats chill

I take it you study at Chalmers? I so envy you, math is my favourite!
I study at Gothenburg University but the actual education is at Chalmers campus and at the master's level all of the courses are taken together.
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote