SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Attn Guitarists! Question concerning the use off different plectrums

So I was wondering if it is common for (good) guitar players to use different picks for different styles, or even changing picks during a piece, like taking a special one for the solo.

I'm asking because I normally use the Dunlop 206. It is practically not flexible at all, pretty thick, but has a nicely shaped tip, that allows great dynamics. I think it's perfect for single note/solo stuff and Jazz, as especially with clean sound it plays out the advantage of it's dynamics.
But then if I want to play some tremolo stuff over many strings, like Dark Funeral or so, I just can't properly hold the pick long enough, whereas with a thin pick, this is not much of a problem.

Should I rather train to use the 206 for everything? Personally I'm more of a perfectionist regarding technique and think it would be best to use the same for everything, but then again, I use different mouthpieces for different stuff when playing trumpet, as most trumpeters do.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 27 De Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of light
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
quartertone
Academmik musition

Personally, I think one should adapt one's playing to different musical situations rather than changing picks. But I suppose extremes can certainly call for different ones. I use a .81, which I find versatile enough to play both soft clean stuff and brutal tremolo.
quartertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

maybe hold the pick differently when changing it up
Darcangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
novareaper
¯\(°_o)/¯

use dunlop jazz III's for everything.
novareaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
hasu
عذاب النبي

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaReaper View Post
hasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Grindmasterflesh
Cashflow Metal

differences are huge. srsly. I use a 1.0mm standard jim dunlop. not the best one for having a clean sound.
Grindmasterflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
I used that one for some time, I think the 206 is better because they both are pretty hard and good for shredding, but the 206 has more versatility and produces a better clean tone.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
quartertone
Academmik musition

It's also about where you pick.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Dunlop

String size plays a big role in this too does it not?
Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
serocs
>implying

lol Dunlop

obvious viral marketing
serocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
Claude

I wouldn't use anything thinner than .81 for fast tremolo or speed picking personally. I use the XL jazz III's (the bigger/standard sized ones) and they are very versatile and are just in the right spot as far as clarity, tone, and comfort is concerned. I stopped using the smaller III's because they weren't edgy enough and a bit too warm. However, I suppose I would use them again in a jazz gig.

As far as different picks go? Meh, familiarise yourself with one and go from there. From a practical standpoint, it makes as much sense to nitpick about picks to that extreme as it does for eric johnson to change the pickguard screws on his guitar because new ones give better tone (aparently).

I would experiment with string gauges more if you are still looking for your ideal comfort zone on guitar. Again, it becomes a question of balancing comfort, tone, and control.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertroll View Post
It's also about where you pick.
big +1
Old 05-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
quartertone
Academmik musition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Doodl3.2 View Post
From a practical standpoint, it makes as much sense to nitpick about picks to that extreme as it does for eric johnson to change the pickguard screws on his guitar because new ones give better tone (apparently).
Now that's pretty anal, lol.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
P4nz3r

P4nz3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
Divaricate

Divaricate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
veshly

I wouldn't doubt some pics would be too hard to use for certain things, no matter how much you practice. Like unknown dood said, it's about finding a good balance. Or just go all out and switch pics when you need to. I mean, why not?

Last edited by veshly; 05-28-2010 at 02:08 PM..
veshly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
ArsNotoria
Antitheist

Also depends on your tuning. I usually play in dropped B so playing tremelo on anything is noticably more difficult than in dropped D or standard tuning. I prefer thick picks (in the 1.0 range) and have been using Dunlop Gators for as long as I can remember. But yeah, you should just learn to play with one pick because switching them up too often will throw you off.
ArsNotoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #19
Arkaikgp87
Senor Nariz

I prefer the .96 mm purple Dunlop gator picks. The tips of the picks are smooth enough to get good dynamics for maybe jazz style. But also a heavy enough gauge to get some good attack for metal style guitar. I would recommend finding 1 pick you like that you can adapt to other styles you play. It would probably be easier then switching out different picks for solo's etc...

Also remember a lot of how you sound comes from how you play as we'll.

Hope that helps.
Arkaikgp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #20
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

been using these for forever
Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrogar View Post
lol Dunlop

obvious viral marketing
haha it's actually my last name. for years nobody even knew my first name. I think it comes from playing on a hockey team with 3 Justins. Plus, I really don't look like a Justin... About once a year someone that I know really well asks me what my first name is
Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
Silverback

these used to be my fav for guitar for years! But ive noticed that if you wana be a truly great guitar player...picks shouldnt matter that much...the best guitarists ive jammed with can shred with a super flopppy pick or a thick one..
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Curto32

.60s?? What, so forever is like 3 months? That's a noob pic.
Curto32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #24
Darcangelo
Nigger trance.

I've always used an orange tortex pick, not necessarily .60s
Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
Andromalius

Quote:
Andromalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #26
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

This pick is perfect for everything. It might as well be the

Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #27
RICE510

Been using greens forever. I've played those purple precision picks that Divaricate posted, and honestly?... I think those are the way to go.

The thing is - they do take adjusting to, and they force you to play with better, less sloppy habits, and I'm just too lazy.

I will say - if you're having trouble tremolo picking with a thick pick, you're probably not tremolo picking... well, I won't say "the right way" because I don't believe in that shit - but in a way that is more effective.

You really shouldn't be "picking" the string when tremolo picking. For clean, consistent metal tremolo picking you should actually just be "agitating" the top of the string with only about a few millimeters of the pick. This is also about holding the pick in a way where you can easily control the angle of it in relation to the strings. When switching to tremolo picking, it's good for the blade of the pick to be at a slight angle, not totally parallel with the string. - Not over-the-top, not so each stroke becomes a "scrape", but enough that the pick feels like it's really just riding the top of the string, rather than passing by it.

Granted - I realize black metal incorporates more multi-string tremolo than is common in Death Metal, But I think I'd try to addapt the single-string technique first - then build a multi-string technique that has the cleanliness of the single string tech as it's foundation.

I'm far from being any kind of shredder though, so although that's kinda an anal explanation, this should only be taken with whatever grain of salt you feel appropriate.

cheers.
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #28
De Profoundis
۞CC♆LTIST

Rep Power: 27 De Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of lightDe Profoundis is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE510 View Post
Been using greens forever. I've played those purple precision picks that Divaricate posted, and honestly?... I think those are the way to go.

The thing is - they do take adjusting to, and they force you to play with better, less sloppy habits, and I'm just too lazy.

I will say - if you're having trouble tremolo picking with a thick pick, you're probably not tremolo picking... well, I won't say "the right way" because I don't believe in that shit - but in a way that is more effective.

You really shouldn't be "picking" the string when tremolo picking. For clean, consistent metal tremolo picking you should actually just be "agitating" the top of the string with only about a few millimeters of the pick. This is also about holding the pick in a way where you can easily control the angle of it in relation to the strings. When switching to tremolo picking, it's good for the blade of the pick to be at a slight angle, not totally parallel with the string. - Not over-the-top, not so each stroke becomes a "scrape", but enough that the pick feels like it's really just riding the top of the string, rather than passing by it.

Granted - I realize black metal incorporates more multi-string tremolo than is common in Death Metal, But I think I'd try to addapt the single-string technique first - then build a multi-string technique that has the cleanliness of the single string tech as it's foundation.

I'm far from being any kind of shredder though, so although that's kinda an anal explanation, this should only be taken with whatever grain of salt you feel appropriate.

cheers.
Who do you play with man? I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere before.
De Profoundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 AM   #29
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICE510 View Post

cheers.
Personally, I wouldn't even use tremolo picking in a death metal context. Speed picking is more accurate, on time with the beat, and flows a lot better.

Unless that's actually what you were referring to, because tremolo and speed picking techniques get confused all the time; The former is playing one string repeatedly as fast as possible or for effect, the other is picking a note repeatedly with rhythmic dynamics i.e accents... with that in mind, one realizes that tremolo picking is quite useless 98% of the time.

IMO, you're not going to get any sort of tone out of your guitar if you're whizzing by the strings in the manner you described in order to gain velocity with your pick. I say dig in! Different things work for different people/hands/rigs though...

The ideal technique is a rotating motion of the wrist in a jerking manner, for lack of a better word; NOT an up and down movement because the former is a lot more natural to the human body's muscles than the other. You can rotate your wrist a lot faster than you can flick it up and down. Like anything, there are exceptions to the rule (Trey Azagthoth comes to mind), but generally speaking proper picking technique makes it easier on your body and on yourself in the long run.

With that in mind, I agree that there is no "right" way. There is however, a lot of "wrong" ways.

Last edited by Claude; 05-29-2010 at 01:41 AM..
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #30
RICE510

technically most "tremolo" picking is not actually real tremolo picking, but that's used colloquially what? 99% of the time? I disagree about digging in. I did that for over a decade. It kills precision and turns it into actual tremolo picking. - Like I said, it's not about just scraping the strings. there's a fine line. It takes taste and discipline to find the right place. - Listen to garbage bags - his picking technique is nice and clean. between the picking and the palming there is a sense of finesse and control at all times. - and at the same time it's not sterile. He's not turned into a perfect MIT robot.

Last edited by RICE510; 05-29-2010 at 02:42 AM..
RICE510 is offline   Reply With Quote