Enthroned Website

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
Sabathan
Heavy Metal Avenger

My Departure from Enthroned

Hails to all of you,

Here, Sabathan ex- founder member of Enthroned.
I decided to post this as a reply to all the comments, all those hasty judgments, gossips on my back due, specialy here on that forum, to my departure from Enthroned by people who don’t know me personally. First of all, I would like to apologise to the real Enthroned fans for my departure and thank all my supporters for their gratitude sending me e-mails and messages on my cell phone, thank you all very much!

I would like to clear up some points here, my new band and my departure from Enthroned, to put an end to all those bullshit statements.

There’re many reasons, that’s what I want to explain you here:

For a few years, I’m terribly sad and disappointed with the evolution of the black metal scene, is not new, it’s already five years that I see the degradation of the kind, which used to be everything for me.
I discovered Black Metal in 1982 with the homonym from the mighty VENOM, and I would like to reassure you that I’m still a huge devoted fan to this kind of Metal but…the old scene only, you will ask why only the old scene??? Here come the explanations:

For a few years a see that fewer and fewer people and new comer bands aren’t interested to develop Black Metal as a complete Metal genre and glorious talented kind of Metal, but more interested to use this as a support to make political and religious propaganda, what I call “Sonic Terrorism”. This kind of things have never been “my cup of tea” and it’s even what I reject, totally. I’m not a terrorist, I’m a Musician totally dedicated to METAL as a whole since 1980 even before with bands like AC/DC and KISS.

My convictions have never changed and will never change, but CONVICTIONS for me doesn’t mean RELIGION. There’s a limit and when this limit is broken and convictions become religion, it doesn’t please me at all!
My convictions are before everything METAL and Rock ‘N’ Roll, I want it to be clear with everyone.
What I’ve seen for the past few years (since early 2000’s) and the conclusion I can draw is that actually a huge part of the underground Black Metal scene tends to be separated from all the other kinds of Metal, because it intends to be “more extreme” and prefer to focus on that, they don’t accept the Rock ‘N’ Roll attitude of all the other kinds of Metal, they want to be apart, to create something like a sect…This is a point that displease me a lot and that I don’t agree with. Black Metal for me will remain what the precursors have created, bands like Black Sabbath, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate to name a few…an entire Metal genre, requiring convictions to understand and live it, but in any case making “Sonic Terrorism” or “Sectarian Separatism” from the Rock ‘N’ Roll way of life.

Also for a couple of years , I see that the Black Metal genre is becoming a real new Nazi musical movement. I see more and more unpleasant attitude from a certain part of the new Black Metal fans, coming to the shows with Swastika and every kind of Nazi Symbols, screaming “Sieg Heil” during the shows while they lift their taut left arm, and also more and more new comer bands making real Fascist propaganda… All that disgust me at the maximum point…I’m 100% Anti-Nazi, Anti-Fascist, and Anti-Capitalist, I’m Anarchist.
Another disappointment again. Where is Brotherhood, which exist in the Heavy Metal, Thrash or Death Metal scene, nowadays in the new Black Metal scene???
Where is the Rock ‘N’ Roll way to be??? In the early 90’s all the bands were in contact and maintaining friendly relations, having booze and fun at the shows, Headbanging, Partying…This is what I call “The real Metal Attitude” but it seems that nowadays, once again in the Black Metal Underground scene, we are not allowed to have fun, people who laugh and enjoy the show. The most “Evil”, unfriendly and arrogant you are, the BEST you are…This is the new law of the new Black Metal generation as far as I can see. When I remember when I started Enthroned and when we opened for Marduk and Enslaved in 1995, what a party after the shows, arrogance didn’t exist and brotherhood, loyalty and honesty were the rule.

Another reason for my departure is my motivation, that disappeared due to everything I explained you here above, but also all the disappointment lived and endured with the band in the past…I mean the business problems.
All those tours we’ve done without any recognition, playing sometimes in empty venues for only 10 or 8 people, but fortunately since the South American tour in 2004 it has changed a little bit, cause finally we could have access to play in summer festivals such as Party San, Summer Breeze, Graspop, With Full Force…Finally we’ve been solicited and played, and it will remain forever the best moments of my life, but after how many years of waiting??? While many other bands of our generation were enflaming the stages of those cult festivals during the best years of the second Black Metal generation (between 1996 and 2000), Enthroned was totally ignored by the promoters of those events, same with the established tour promoters (outside Europe mainly). How can you conceive that a band like ENTHRONED has never got a good, descent and serious offer to tour in the USA, in Canada and even in Europe while other bands tour there almost every years????
Once again all those things have ruined my motivation, because I had many expectations at that time, after the release of “Towards The Skullthrone of Satan” album especially, and those expectations have never been fructuous…and sorry I’m the kind of person who doesn’t support failure in my work and my activities.

Also something that has deeply hurt my motivation is all those incessant line-up changes, the departure of Nerath Daemon and Alsvid were the “drop too much” if you know what I mean. It’s really hard when you play in a band to afford a line-up change every year, believe me.
And it was very hard for me, musically speaking ONLY to adapt myself to the new line-up, cause it was once again a change in composition and a new adaptation.
Anyway, Glaurung and Nguaroth are excellent musicians and good friends, but I felt unable to adapt myself to a new line-up again, I needed to have a break, it’s maybe something psychological that I even can’t explain, but so, the ones who have played or play in a band which have changed many times of line-up like Enthroned, will understand my point of view.
In resume, I feel myself better in stability than instability.

Now let’s come to the final point…My new band;

My new band is called DISTANT WARNING and I formed this last with ex-members of a cult Heavy Metal band from the early 80’s from Namur called A.C.N (Ante Christum Natum), the kind of music we play is Typical 80’s Heavy Metal, the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal way like early Maiden, Saxon, Priest, Tyson Dog, Tank, Motörhead, Black Sabbath…with the same feeling and the same Rock N Roll energy…Far away from what the new generation does nowadays, but of course, I LIKE THE NEW HEAVY METAL SCENE!!! But is not the way we play with Distant Warning.
I’m only bass player in Distant Warning, and as I want to sing back again, I’m forming also a Thrash Metal band in which I will be the bassist/singer and frontman exactly like I was in Enthroned, the style will be like Sodom, Destruction…the German Way of Thrash (as I call it).
So don’t think that I will disappear from the metal scene, I’m totally devoted to Metal for almost 25 years and it will be forever my reason to live.

Now to conclude, I wish all the best to my comrades of Enthroned with my successor,
I’m sure they will find someone who deserves the place better than me.
For my detractors I would like to say that I don’t give a fuck, I don’t give a shit about what they say here on my back and on different forums, so…FUCK OFF!!! Before to badmouth someone is better to know the person for real, isn’t???

And I’m sure that, for all the ones who support me, we’ll meet again, we will have booze and bang together in the Metal brotherhood tradition!!!

METAL TO THE DEATH \m/

Sabathan

Sabathan has the rights to express himself about the reason why he is not a part of Enthroned anymore and this is a right and a normal thing that we agreed he would do when we split up with him in the most friendly way possible regarding the situation, but some parts of the text dealth with some subjects that IS NO ONE'S business except ours,so it's actually no use to write down such unuselful comments on a forum board.
Now, everyone also have the rights to believe what they want...

Glaurung, Nornagest, Nguaroth

Last edited by Nornagest; 11-16-2006 at 08:51 AM..
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
Morthvargr
Modern Heretic

NOW I TRULY UNDERSTAND.

WOW. I read the WHOLE thing. NOW, I TRULY understand. I'm so sorry for complaining. I hope as a fan you can forgive me.

Goodbye Sabathan. I'll miss you as a fan, and your awesome red 1986 Ibanez X-Series bass too. I hope to hear more of your new material in your new bands soon. I hope, even though you're not in Enthroned anymore, that eventually 'The Blackened Horde' will tour Canada and do well in a new era. I hope maybe your new bands will also get a fair chance to tour Canada as well - where I live.

I'll never forget the great work you've done in Enthroned. You deserve all the good recognition you can ever receive. You did a spectacular performance. I'm sure you will again in your next endeavours.

All my greatest respect, esteem and wishes to you Sabathan.

Good luck to you in the future with Distant Warning. I look eagerly forward to hearing some material from you guys. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Sincerely yours - an Enthroned fan since 2002,

Morthvargr (Alex).

Last edited by Morthvargr; 11-15-2006 at 04:03 PM..
Old 11-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
DARK USURPER
Usurper of the throne

Cheers! Nice to see some words from Sabathan. I feel this is an important decision to post such a comment in order to set records straight!

While I may not agree with some decisions the motives and intentions are completely understandable, in this case I feel Sabathan made a decision that suites him best, and in his case that is what's most important!

I wish him best of luck for the future although my support remains with Enthroned! I could care less who is playing in some 80s old school, power.. whatever band. Im sure that new band will gain attention from Enthroned fans (obviously based on the lineup!). Though at this point I choose not to follow Sabathan just because he "used to" be in a band I like, I'll stick with Enthroned!

Hail!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Sabathan
Heavy Metal Avenger

I forgot to advertise the people who try to mail me on the e-mail adress appearing in the contacts on the website here (sabathan-xxx@gmail.com), is not valid anymore since more than one month, the reason is I've forgot the password to log-in.
I will soon open a new mailbox and let you know my new e-mail adress.
Thanx for your understanding and your support \m/
Old 11-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
-Glaurung-

It is not necessary to explain the reasons why Sabathan "left" the band...

Just because, he was simply "asked to leave" !!!

And this fact, will never change this reality !

Last edited by -Glaurung-; 11-16-2006 at 08:56 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Nornagest
Holy Moderator

Thanx Sabathan for sharing your "vision" of things.

Last edited by Nornagest; 11-16-2006 at 09:05 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #7
Iscariah

Well, I was dissapointed when he left, but this decision is made in a private situation, so I can't judge this right. So I'll never judge enthroned, nor Sabathan, even there are some decisions and motivations that are hard for me to understand why he actually left enthroned...

Last edited by Iscariah; 11-18-2006 at 09:15 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
Goatvulva

This is not our problem Sabathan!
With all due respect I had for you, I think you should not expose personal ( )things that are only the self belonging of you guys on a board like Glaurung said,! ( I say this because I read the original message)
There is a huge difference between announcing something and giving an honest reason (which obviously the case from your ex band mates), and you giving some cheap excuses and advertizing for the new thrash metal sensation of Wallonie, nothing against Walloons of course!!I always respected you and it's normal to slip off but I hope and wish you the best of luck in your new carreer!!

Last edited by Goatvulva; 11-16-2006 at 09:42 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
devil spell
Sodomizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathan
My convictions have never changed and will never change, but CONVICTIONS for me doesn’t mean RELIGION. There’s a limit and when this limit is broken and convictions become religion, it doesn’t please me at all!
they want to be apart, to create something like a sect…This is a point that displease me a lot and that I don’t agree with.
I am just speachless...

"I league my soul to Satan, Lucifer and Belzebuth...I worship with pride the 9 hearts of daemons...."

Weren't these your own words?

So it means that all those times you were pretending to be a satanist and it was just a gimmick for you??
Well, now I understand better why the other enthroned members took this decision, and understand more some things, it draw a bit the veil away!
I remember some years ago I was reading Sabathan's interviews and I thought that he was such an example within the BM scene, that "at least he believed in what he was singing- practice what you preach" and I remember VERY well those interviews where he stated :
" my religions are Satanism and metal, I only believe in Satan and the rest bullshit!".

anyway, maybe it's again the usual story : people change and some admit it, others don't...

I have nothing against Sabathan because as he said in a very intelligible way:
I don't know him and I cannot judge him if I don't know him personally, but it doesn't take away the fact that I'm disappointed in what I read, and therefore I am happy I didn't see the original post!

Dommage....ou plutôt : déçevant...

100% support to Enthroned, still even more curious about your next album!

Last edited by devil spell; 11-16-2006 at 10:02 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
queen of the damned

"…and sorry I’m the kind of person who doesn’t support failure in my work and my activities."

IMO, if you reached the souls and hearts of those who understand your art, this is not a failure!
This is way more important than playing to a festival like Wacken or Graspop where there will be 15.000 persons who won't or understand or give a damn and perhaps only 10 out of those 15.000 will get your message and feel your creativity!

I think you were looking in the wrong direction and you guys achieved something wonderful with Enthroned, you reached people's souls which is far more important than a festival with a name and full of idiots!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
Surt
brutulord

Quote:
For a few years, I’m terribly sad and disappointed with the evolution of the black metal scene, is not new, it’s already five years that I see the degradation of the kind, which used to be everything for me.
I discovered Black Metal in 1982 with the homonym from the mighty VENOM, and I would like to reassure you that I’m still a huge devoted fan to this kind of Metal but…the old scene only, you will ask why only the old scene??? Here come the explanations:

For a few years a see that fewer and fewer people and new comer bands aren’t interested to develop Black Metal as a complete Metal genre and glorious talented kind of Metal, but more interested to use this as a support to make political and religious propaganda, what I call “Sonic Terrorism”. This kind of things have never been “my cup of tea” and it’s even what I reject, totally. I’m not a terrorist, I’m a Musician totally dedicated to METAL as a whole since 1980 even before with bands like AC/DC and KISS.

My convictions are before everything METAL and Rock ‘N’ Roll, I want it to be clear with everyone.
What I’ve seen for the past few years (since early 2000’s) and the conclusion I can draw is that actually a huge part of the underground Black Metal scene tends to be separated from all the other kinds of Metal, because it intends to be “more extreme” and prefer to focus on that, they don’t accept the Rock ‘N’ Roll attitude of all the other kinds of Metal, they want to be apart, to create something like a sect…This is a point that displease me a lot and that I don’t agree with. Black Metal for me will remain what the precursors have created, bands like Black Sabbath, Hellhammer, Mercyful Fate to name a few…an entire Metal genre, requiring convictions to understand and live it, but in any case making “Sonic Terrorism” or “Sectarian Separatism” from the Rock ‘N’ Roll way of life.

Also for a couple of years , I see that the Black Metal genre is becoming a real new Nazi musical movement. I see more and more unpleasant attitude from a certain part of the new Black Metal fans, coming to the shows with Swastika and every kind of Nazi Symbols, screaming “Sieg Heil” during the shows while they lift their taut left arm, and also more and more new comer bands making real Fascist propaganda… All that disgust me at the maximum point…I’m 100% Anti-Nazi, Anti-Fascist, and Anti-Capitalist, I’m Anarchist.
Another disappointment again. Where is Brotherhood, which exist in the Heavy Metal, Thrash or Death Metal scene, nowadays in the new Black Metal scene???
Where is the Rock ‘N’ Roll way to be??? In the early 90’s all the bands were in contact and maintaining friendly relations, having booze and fun at the shows, Headbanging, Partying…This is what I call “The real Metal Attitude” but it seems that nowadays, once again in the Black Metal Underground scene, we are not allowed to have fun, people who laugh and enjoy the show. The most “Evil”, unfriendly and arrogant you are, the BEST you are…This is the new law of the new Black Metal generation as far as I can see. When I remember when I started Enthroned and when we opened for Marduk and Enslaved in 1995, what a party after the shows, arrogance didn’t exist and brotherhood, loyalty and honesty were the rule.
That makes a lot of fucking sense and I couldn't agree more to be honest.

I mean i'm nowhere near "old school" - not in the slightest - but even in the comparitively short amount of time i've been into this "scene" (for want of a far better word with less emo connotations), I've noticed both the good and bad side of all those aspects outlined above.

Some people are far more community minded and open minded than most people I know outside of metal, yet for all those people, there's still those bands/fans that rely on the extremity of the music as a form of "sonic terrorism" (going to have to memorise that phrase) with no real aim other than just to shock or disgust people rather than rebel & entertain which is pretty much what metal is supposed to be about. Rebellion and revelry in such acts, though not taking it so far to the polar opposite that you end up coming full circle and making yourself just as bad & stoic as that which you're supposedly rebelling against.

As for the religion thing, I don't think he's necassarily gone back on his word (ergo used Satanism as a gimmick). A lot of the time the line between staunch atheism and (atheisitic) Satanism are often blurred - usually by those too ignorant to seperate them or by people having to dumb down their words to compensate for such people.

I know from experience as I have briefly reffered to myself as Satanist - not for any particular exposure calling myself one in public might get me or anything - that calling yourself an "atheist" often does little justice for the bitterness and opposition to Christianity a person can hold. Therefore logically Satanism - which, ignoring theistic Satanism, is very much about the individual, independence and the animalistic side of man contrary to the forced subjegation and dogmatic oppression of spiritualist religions - makes far more of an immediate, succint reply when someone tries to force a short shrift answer from you as regards your religious beliefs.

Not trying to speak for Sabathan himself there, but just saying how easily it could be to twist a situation like that. Hell, I love pissing off Christians more than anything, it's just you can't let them get too used to what you do otherwise they get desensitized to it or take it for granted.
War against a greater (in number only) horde is never won by a single persistent head-on assault.

But hell, I'm pretty much the newest fan of Enthroned on this forum anyway, so I guess I'm speaking from a somewhat naive perspective of the band-related drama and so should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I just wanted to comment directly on what the guy said above, irrespective of his departure from Enthroned...
Old 11-16-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
devil spell
Sodomizer

Well call it irrespective if you want, but it's absolutely not the case here!

I'm just disappointed, I'm in the metal scene in general for a very long time and I am absolutely not one of those "angry looking oh so evol BM idiots" who believe that you shouldn't have fun to a gig!!
This kind of statement is pathetic in my opinion, so I am 100% agree with Sabathan on that point!

I find it sad that all the satanism thing seemed to be just a gimmick and I always saw BM as a "practice what you preach" way of life.

But well, he made his choices and that only belongs to him and in this case to the enthroned guys to take the decision to continue the band without him , and THAT appeal for respect to me!

instead of choosing the easy way, to split up, change name or follow their fan or even disappointed fans opinion, they stand proud for what they believe in and what they fought for all these last years.

So, maybe you understand wrong my post , I respect Sabathan for what he did in the past , maybe I will in the future as the big heavy metal and thrash metal fan I am, but here it stops as he said himself : I can't put a personal judgment on him as I do not know him!
I can just post and lay down my opinion about what is said.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #13
protector
tilintetgjøre

Honestly, I don't know what to think.

Half of the statement is perfectly understandable and I couldn't agree more with Lord Sabathan, but the other half is :bonk:
let me explain: half of it sounds like a guy disgusted by the sell out of the black metal scene and the other half is more or less the opposite.
My impression is that that kind of discussion is hardly acceptable for fans to take part of...

I mean, it's nice of Lord Sabathan to explain why he left but as I understand he was asked to leave...
So, all of this is very confusing.
I'll just support Enthroned like I always did and see what the new line up brings.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Marcelo

I agree with the guy some posts above:
"I don't know what to think"

I agree with some views that Sabathan has pointed, but, all they look so contraditory if you confront what he has written here to the things he used to preach in the past!

Any way, I also agree to another ano who said that people change, although some admit it or not...
If Sabathan has come up with some new visions that he didn't have in the past, I find it perfecly undesrtandable his leaving the band!!!

Anyway...
I like the musical and lyrical approach of Enthroned and I will keep supporting the horde as much as I agree to many of the things Sabathan said, so, I will keep supporting the guy too, it doens't matter which kind of music the guy gets inserted!

Hails to you all!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
nve

I don't really understand some of the reasons, like the "religion" part. If there's one band that had very satanic "image" and wanted to be taken serious by it than that was Enthroned. So I don't know what to think of it.

And I remember this childish statement by Sabathan in the Apocalypse Manifesto booklet (which really dissapointed me at the time) where he is actually sounding like one of the persons he states to hate in his above posted statement.

Anyway, I don't know the man personally. But if there's one name that comes up when I think about Black metal artists acting like a tough guy (again something Sabathan mentions in his statement above) then it is him! And I am not the only one, I've heard many people about this. I have been backstage at certain gigs, and let me tell you the way Sabathan "acted" there like he was above everyone. So I must say this statement is to me pretty fucking ridiculous. Because when you don't behave like one of those "good old" heavy metal fans from the early days (specificly to the more younger metalfans cause they sometimes get bullshitted by older guys just for the sake of scoring scenepoints in your little club) then don't expect them to treat you like one either.

For the rest I want to say, thanks for all the great music you've created. Especially the first 2 records will always have a special place in my Black metal collection. They remind me of great times. I respect everyone's choice, people do change, I lost a lot of great metal-friends who are starting to have families and all, and my respect to you for still sticking with it after so many years.

Last edited by nve; 11-16-2006 at 07:04 PM..
Old 11-17-2006, 06:47 AM   #16
Fenrir
Heretic

nve, are you by any chance on the zenial forum??
sorry for the off-topic
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
Marcelo

Quote:
"I have been backstage at certain gigs, and let me tell you the way Sabathan "acted" there like he was above everyone."
This is not the first time I listen to comments like this one about Sabathan's attitudes towards people...

One guy, here in Brazil, guitar player of one band who opened up for Enthroned when they were around, said the same thing about Sabathan... It was said that he is the one like "oh, I am the best" or "C'mon, no one will ever put up with me" and things alike...

I heard good things about all the Enthroned members, LESS HIM!!!

But, as I don't know him personally, I will not dare to do a judgement value on the guy... I only found interesting that more than one guy said the same thing about Sabathan!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
Ermak
Banned

Hmmrph. Another typical proletarian soul giving his "honest and righteous" thoughts. As if there is anything commendable, original and artistic in getting drunk and listening to shitty and indistinctive rock music that so many morons practiced.

Blackmetal is(was) a serious and elitist movement with a high spiritual and sociopathic stature that exceeds mere "metal" moron ideology, it is this homoerotic "party brotherhood" attitude that turned it into garbage, go listen to fucking Dimmu Borgir.

If one is not what he preaches, one is a poser.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
fenian scum

"While many other bands of our generation were enflaming the stages of those cult festivals during the best years of the second Black Metal generation (between 1996 and 2000), Enthroned was totally ignored by the promoters of those events, same with the established tour promoters"
Well, standards have fallen since then. You said it best, you're a failure.

The whole rant is one long pathetic excuse for being a hedonistic, cowardly slob with no real convictions.

Step this way please:
Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 PM   #20
Sabathan
Heavy Metal Avenger

go listen to fucking Dimmu Borgir

Of course, Dimmu Borgir RULES, they are excellent musicians and true Metalheads!!!
They deserve my support!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
LORD APOLLYON
Black Metal!!!

I only hope that ENTHRONED don't split up. If they decide to ask Sabathan to leave, they should have their reasons. ENTHRONED IS A FUCKING GREAT BAND, and Sabathan is no longer a member of it. That's all.

TOTAL SUPPORT TO NORNAGEST, GLAURUNG, NGUAROTH AND THE UPCOMING MEMBER!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #22
Marcelo

Quote:
Of course, Dimmu Borgir RULES, they are excellent musicians and true Metalheads!!!
Dimmu Borgir is MUSICALLY good, but they don't preach what black metal stands for...
Old 11-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #23
Iscariah

Well I like Dimmu Borgir, I actually don't understand, why a lot of black metalfans avoid and reject the new dimmu borgir. If you say they're commercial sell-outs, wel first look to cradle of filth, but actually it's not because something is commercial that it is automatical bad. You will also have a group of people who will never understand me. But what I understand under 'commercial' is every band who does gigs, makes albums etc. If you don't want to be commercial as a band, you should never even think of starting a band. A (black) metalfan couldn't deny that when he listens to dimmu borgir or some cradle that there are some screams/drums/riffs that he likes. If you dislike popmusic and feel good rock, alright, but disliking dimmu borgir and saying that they don't play black metal, that's over the top. I'm a real dimmu borgirfan and I'm proud of it and I guess there are a lot of dimmu borgirfans here on the enthronedforum as well.

Kind regards Maarten 'Iscariah' Dhaenens
Old 11-22-2006, 05:04 PM   #24
enthroned
LEMNISCATE

i agree, iscariah

dimmu and cradle are some good bands and they play good riff but what is really the sense of "commercial" ?

if it's to make album and do gigs so cradle and dimmu are commercial but enthroned and mayhem are too

you know i'm also a cralde/dimmu fan (got all the album) but i'm (before everything) music fan and i think that it is not because you like dimmu/cradle that you not a "true satanist" or a "fake fan"
for me, if you like a band you're (before everything) a music fan
Old 11-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #25
Nornagest
Holy Moderator

Just a small note to say that "Satanists" and "Black Metallers" are two different things but this is completely off topic.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #26
Surt
brutulord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nornagest
Just a small note to say that "Satanists" and "Black Metallers" are two different things but this is completely off topic.
Indeed. I ended up having a bit of an over-the-top rant at some kid that joined a particular other metal message board i go on and introduced himself as liking "death metal and a devil worshipper" - when pushed into explaining what he meant, he ended up sounding like he knew even less about "Satanism" than a geriatric with senile dementia.

His excuse was it's open to interpretations because it's so diverse and can mean a lot of things, effectively making an utter hash of legitimising theistic Satanism yet rubbishing mainstream spiritualist religions instead.

"i worship pure hatred and misery" (stupid pre-teen style typing altered).... roughly translated means "i'm an angry teenager that's fed up of living with his parents so tries to piss them off by becoming a 'goff'"

I don't think this is as off-topic as it could have been, plus it could be an interesting tangent to take the discussion down to be honest to see what other "black metallers" would say about the same thing on here.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:24 AM   #27
Ermak
Banned

I don't give a damn how much money some band makes, it's the music that counts, and usually it so happens that fame turns art into crowd-pleasing garbage devoid of any distinction, therefore inspiration or belief (like elitism) helps the process of aesthetic. Never I have known a good band that played music for the sake of fame, money and fun alone.

Dimmu borgir in the first era were alright, but nothing too exceptional for me. In their middle period they started getting bad by ripping off rock music and adding cheap and catchy keytunes with some heavily augmented vocals. And finally in their latter moment they lost what was left about the Blackmetal sound, neither sounding like Black nor Death metal, but a sort of new-age progressive abomination trying to mix all genres possible.

No comment about Cradle of gay, they don't play blackmetal.

Hail to the real Satanic elite; the people with real convictions that mak(d)e real art.

Sidenote: NP: Necromantia - Crossing the fiery path
Old 11-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #28
Sabathan
Heavy Metal Avenger

Totaly agree with Iscariah and Enthroned, that's great to see that there's still intelligent Black Metal fans with a wide Open Mind here.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #29
Iscariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nornagest
Well I'm not making a statement about that, because I don't really know a lot about satanism, I know there are a lot of variaties within this 'religion' if I could call it like this, but I'm more of an atheist than something else. Every man has a brain/mind, so instead of being part of the flock and be led by a religion/god that man created by himself, we should see ourselves more as a god and use our mind to guide us through life and its difficulties.
So christianity, Islam, ... all the same thing...

About cradle then: latest record kinda sucks, but I can listen to it, I miss the old cradle, just like everybody here at the forum probably.

About dimmu: I like them, I like a lot of metal and even some selected metalcore (here in West-Flanders you have the H8000, even Nornagest probably knows this). So lets not comment personal taste. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but just respect ones choice of music (shit I feel like a tutor/teacher...).

About Sabathan: thx for the complement.

Does anyone knows something about frostrock (in west-flanders) here at the enthroned forum?

Last edited by Iscariah; 11-23-2006 at 09:44 AM..
Old 11-23-2006, 10:10 AM   #30
necrayas

Quote:

because it intends to be “more extreme” and prefer to focus on that, they don’t accept the Rock ‘N’ Roll attitude .
I don't think Black metal was meant to have the rock and roll attitude. So why did you said you were a Satanist if you don't believe in it?
Closed Thread