SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #1381
F. Mercenary
Human Being Human

Re: Good TV Shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (((OdiumNostrum View Post
The new Black Mirror season is similar, the only watchable episode was the second one, it seems they are trying hard to ruin the franchise.
I found the

homie-sexuality
in the first episode kinda funny, lol. But yeah, they should keep it British, that's where their better episodes tend to be at.
F. Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #1382
Deathstalker

I thought the last episode of the new Twilight Zone was worth watching at least, especially if you're a fan of the original series.
Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #1383
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

New season of Black Mirror was trash.

'Dark', on the other hand, is outstanding. Probably my favorite Netflix original to date.
Azathoth Shrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #1384
Gangrene

I save normie shows like black mirror and stranger things to watch when I'm dating and need stuff both of us can watch

I watch stuff like mr robot, dark (haven't gotten to it yet), and barry when I'm single and need sad shit
Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #1385
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 25 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

“Dark” is so fucking good I watched the second season twice back to back.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:04 PM   #1386
Deathstalker

I'm going to watch the season 2 finale tonight of Dark, awesome show. A lot of people seem to compare it with Stranger Things but I think it reminds me more of Twin Peaks.
Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 AM   #1387
Honky Reduction

Rep Power: 0 Honky Reduction is an unknown quantity at this point

City On A Hill with Kevin Bacon and Matt Damon + Ben Affleck as producers are very good so far.
Honky Reduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #1388
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

I can't tell if Stranger Things has gotten worse or if it was bad from the start. Probably the latter.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #1389
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 25 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Haven’t seen the new season yet, but it has been going downhill for a while. Wasn’t really ever great, too.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #1390
Gangrene

dudes who like bands with lithography art don't like show for teens: story soon
Old 07-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #1391
Gangrene

just finished s3, show gets better every season. obviously the romance and heartfelt stuff drags, but otherwise it's a comfy show.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #1392
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 21 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
show gets better every season.
that's completely false as season 2 was a significant step down in every way. the show wasn't great to begin with, just a decent show based on nothing but evoking a sense of 80ies nostalgia, but season 2 was just plain bad what with the recycling of the same plot of season 1, the introduction of mostly superfluous and annoying new characters and that godawful episode 7 that's as bad as the last 3 seasons of GoT

but we all knew you were a tasteless dumb fuck, so it's no surprise you'd think that...
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #1393
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

I mean the first episode was so fkn terrible, how could anyone ever think this show actually got better, lmfao...
Old 07-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #1394
(((OdiumNostrum

Cmon, even the 1st season was mediocre at best. Its a kids show, deal with it and watch Dark instead, even if the drama between kids there is getting tedious as well.
(((OdiumNostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:55 AM   #1395
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

It's not even that I dislike the show. I wouldn't have even bothered watching all 3 seasons if I did. it's just that it's not actually good. There's nothing particularly compelling about the writing, the setting, characters, etc. It just does a really good job of exploiting tropes that trigger a pleasurable response in the brains of thirtysomething geeks like me.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:19 AM   #1396
Gangrene

The writing is very good, the kid actors do a great job each season, the mindflayer is basically brutal slam art come to life, and the soundtrack makes everything come together.

Season 3 had some legitimate sci fi thriller elements.

Not an amazing show but surprsingly solid for something catered for teens
Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #1397
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

The attempts at comedy/humor in this third season are utterly terrible. I know it’s the 80ies, but these motherfuckers are so goddamn ugly it makes my blood boil. Not sure I’ll bother finish watching this.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #1398
DrippingInsanity

Rep Power: 25 DrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud ofDrippingInsanity has much to be proud of

Not gonna lie. I teared up a lil' when Billy bit the dust, especially when they replayed part of his past.
DrippingInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #1399
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Anyone seen Euphoria? I heard it’s one of the most fucked up shows ever made, but I haven’t watched it yet. Lotta dicks though
Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #1400
(((OdiumNostrum

Lunatics - the new Chris Lilley show. Its hit or miss, most of the characters are bland, but that fat chav Gavin McGregor character is hilarious. I didn't bother to watch other characters except in the pilot, so I just skipped thru the episodes looking for Gavin. A spinoff with just his character would be majestic.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #1401
Vadge
Woof Reprisal

Rep Power: 21 Vadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewskiVadge beat up jewski

Disgustingly - I find myself agreeing with Gangrene re Stranger Things. It's just a fun show, it knows what its doing right and does it well. Its not trying to be anything you edgy fucks seem to want from it. I quite enjoyed the last one and was completely not even going to bother.

The Other Two is a show which passed me by until a friend recommended it recently. One of the funniest I've seen this year.
Vadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #1402
The Duff

Halfway through Too Old to Die Young and it’s brilliant, although I had to sift through a lot of garbage recommendations so finally some gritty, consistent and glamorous mini series is a godsend by the end of it. I still don’t know if I love it or hate it, the pacing of the dialogue, the immaculate nature of the characters despite being so enormously corrupt, the glaring color palette, and of course the very loaded violence, but I can’t find fault with it despite these anxiety-enhancing irritations. Finally some unpredictable tv with deep personalities.

Last edited by The Duff; 07-13-2019 at 03:41 PM..
The Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #1403
Naitz
Grim Fandango

I only watched the first season of Dark, and thought it was a rip-off of stranger strings.
A good show, but not as original. I also couldn't help but cringe at some of the german subject-matters (yeah, of course its a fucking nuclear plant which is at fault, because nuclear power is evil etc....). The show is just as nostalgic as Stranger Things btw., you Americans probably just don't notice it as much.

As far as Stranger Things goes, the first season is obviously the best, but I still love the sound design and overall production quality.

Also, nice, that the forum is back on!
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:01 AM   #1404
ShadowHunter
violently violating

Rep Power: 21 ShadowHunter beat up jewskiShadowHunter beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitz View Post
I only watched the first season of Dark, and thought it was a rip-off of stranger strings.
by what alien logic can Dark be a ripoff of ST, when the only thing in common is the 80ies, and in Dark the 80ies feature for maybe 25% of the show (and aesthetically, even less in S2)?

the 2 shows couldn't be more different, one being a well written time travel sci-fi show (though it does have a bit too much melodrama in S1), while the other being a low-level effort monster fantasy/horror show (arguably much more scifi than fantasy in S1, though by S3 it's 100% fantasy) whose main point is nothing but 80ies nostalgia, references and tropes with 0 originality (and if it weren't for some really good acting and relatively high production values and the "80ies mania" of the past few years, it would've been rightly forgotten and cancelled after S1)
ShadowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #1405
Naitz
Grim Fandango

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHunter View Post
by what alien logic can Dark be a ripoff of ST, when the only thing in common is the 80ies, and in Dark the 80ies feature for maybe 25% of the show (and aesthetically, even less in S2)?

the 2 shows couldn't be more different, one being a well written time travel sci-fi show (though it does have a bit too much melodrama in S1), while the other being a low-level effort monster fantasy/horror show (arguably much more scifi than fantasy in S1, though by S3 it's 100% fantasy) whose main point is nothing but 80ies nostalgia, references and tropes with 0 originality (and if it weren't for some really good acting and relatively high production values and the "80ies mania" of the past few years, it would've been rightly forgotten and cancelled after S1)
Calling it a rip-off is probably too harsh, since Dark was already in production when ST first aired. But especially when considering the usual output from german producers (boring historical reprocessing, especially of the Nazi-era, or works set within such contexts, or mindlessly dumb "comedy" shows, baring all originality), I can't help seeing a connection between the two releases (my point beeing that a publisher would usually not be as keen to release a show like that without prior, comparable, examples of success).
I don't get how Stranger Things wouldn't be original. Even when you just look at S2 and 3, the fantasy-theme alone sets it apart from 99% of shows.
I realize that it's full of cliches, but the sum of its elements still gives a unique release.
Naitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #1406
Gangrene

inject in my veins
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #1407
(((OdiumNostrum

Binged this the other day. Very well made Belgian heist drama, it heavily reminds of The Bridge/The Killing aka it has strong Nordic noir vibes. Surprised that more people are not talking about it.

*De Dag*

Old Today, 08:34 PM   #1408
Azathoth Shrugged
uniquely unqualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitz View Post

yeah, no.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.