SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 09-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Where has all the weirdness gone?

Seems like every promising newer band is re-hashing the early to mid 90's sound. Some of it is quite good, I liked the new Cryptic Shift and Ulthar releases, but nobody I've heard of recently is pushing boundaries in any respect. At least the first half of this decade had a new twist on the Gorguts/Deathspell sound.

Any of you other underground geeks hear of anybody recently doing weird shit? Doesn't have to be any particular style, just something new.
Dizzy Alpaca Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Re: Where has all the weirdness gone?

The new Behold the Arctopus comes to mind, even though I don't really care for it
Popegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
alteredstate

I agree, with Blood Incantation being seen as the most "out there" band going nowadays - even though their sound is just a collage of Timeghoul/MA/Nocturnus - it seems like the collective death metal scene is just exhausted after the standard set by the Ulcerate/DSO/Portal wave of the early 2010s. Now what we're left with is Maggot Stomp bands comprised of ex-hardcore guys who heard Grave yesterday. Those bands have always been around to some extent over the past 10-15 years, but it's just weird seeing them pushed to the forefront of a scene that up until recently valued bands who dared to take a bold approach.

To answer your question though, I suppose bands like Imperial Triumphant and Pyrrhon are an example of a band who take on a more weird approach, even though the Gorguts/DSO sound of the early 2010s is prevalent in their sound. Even though the politics of some of these bands are definitely questionable, I do appreciate bands like Nyogthaeblisz, Nuclearhammer, and Tetragrammacide for taking a unique approach to the war metal sound if that's your thing.
alteredstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
The Duff

Your best bet is I voidhanger records and the lucky iron bonehead album.

Aren’t iggoorr pretty weird? And there’s that guy who’s written an entirely acoustic black metal record, with a handlebar moistache. Sorry that’s all I have.

Lea chants du hasard are supposed to be a little unusual.
The Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
pooptastik
son of cosmos

Rep Power: 23 pooptastik beat up jewskipooptastik beat up jewski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popegina View Post
The new Behold the Arctopus comes to mind, even though I don't really care for it
Yeah, the new BTA is absolutely WEIRD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredstate View Post
I agree, with Blood Incantation being seen as the most "out there" band going nowadays - even though their sound is just a collage of Timeghoul/MA/Nocturnus - it seems like the collective death metal scene is just exhausted after the standard set by the Ulcerate/DSO/Portal wave of the early 2010s. Now what we're left with is Maggot Stomp bands comprised of ex-hardcore guys who heard Grave yesterday. Those bands have always been around to some extent over the past 10-15 years, but it's just weird seeing them pushed to the forefront of a scene that up until recently valued bands who dared to take a bold approach.

To answer your question though, I suppose bands like Imperial Triumphant and Pyrrhon are an example of a band who take on a more weird approach, even though the Gorguts/DSO sound of the early 2010s is prevalent in their sound. Even though the politics of some of these bands are definitely questionable, I do appreciate bands like Nyogthaeblisz, Nuclearhammer, and Tetragrammacide for taking a unique approach to the war metal sound if that's your thing.
glad that i'm not the only one who notice Maggot Stomp's roster of ex-hardcore dudes.

is it me or when a metal band does it, it's not considered appealing but when an ex-hardcore guy does the DM thing it's somehow "cool?"

Last edited by pooptastik; 09-10-2020 at 04:46 PM..
pooptastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Talking Re: Where has all the weirdness gone?

Yeah, B....tA is definitely out there, but I've been listening to them for the last 15 years. Besides which, I always thought of it a an extra spazzy math-rock, it's not exactly "new"

Igorrr is a good point. Even though his newest were definitely a bit dumbed down from his first couple albums, there's still nobody else quite like him, and the fact that he's actually getting a good bit of attention and promotion nowadays is promising.

I'll check out the other recs, keep em comin!
Old 09-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #7
ABdozen

I think it is pretty understood that Maggot stomp bands are all ex-hc kids.. but yeah no one seems to address that longer standing local bands that have been playing (average) straight/old school death metal are not cool, but when kids in longsleeves take pics in graveyards its cool. I think its wrapped in layers of irony and I blame that mortician meme page.
I do like vomit forth. Though when I first saw them I realized they were beatdown kids not hardcore kids, much different type of dude
ABdozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #8
LucienLaTulipe

It's clearly getting more and more difficult to bring something new to the table, a lot of things having already been done. Bands re-hashing the classics, yeah... There will probably not be any Nespithe or De Mysteriis more coming out from nowhere as something really new (i.e. something you can't clearly derivate from anterior releases).

I'm not sure weirdness is a criteria for me though, I just want good music. Bands playing with dedication are still doing great things, no matter if weird or not. (I'm thinking to Obliteration here for instance - but you could also tell there's some subtle weirdness going on in their latest releases, ha ha).

The last weird album I think of is A Umbra Omega. Tons of things going on there. But it's a 2015 release...
LucienLaTulipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
pooptastik
son of cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABdozen View Post
I think it is pretty understood that Maggot stomp bands are all ex-hc kids.. but yeah no one seems to address that longer standing local bands that have been playing (average) straight/old school death metal are not cool, but when kids in longsleeves take pics in graveyards its cool. I think its wrapped in layers of irony and I blame that mortician meme page.
I do like vomit forth. Though when I first saw them I realized they were beatdown kids not hardcore kids, much different type of dude
Maggot Stomp is excellent at wielding social media to their absolute benefit. Fluids are the PERFECT example of this.

Vomit Forth and Thaetas are my favorites out of MS label and Infestment and Malignant Altar are real legit old school dudes. Kommand is a shame though because most of those guys were from Hoax and they ruled, now they're in this incredibly mediocre dm band - iiiiiii really wanted to like them but their demos and album does nothing for me.

labels like Comatose and Sevared have been around forever and released some really heavy hitters but it's presentation and aesthetics that somehow don't translate beyond the regular BDM fan.

The average/long-standing BDM/Goregrind scene lacks this cross-over appeal unlike Black Metal and Punk/Hardocre seems to all excel. Which is funny because Black Metal's total ideals are the total polar opposite of Punk and Black Metal is anti-everything.

maybe it could be the fact that the BDM scene are from the same stock of rolling-out-of-your-bed-not-giving-a-fuck with no sense of irony

You're def right about some of this could be traced back to the Mortician meme page. to this day, despite being the butt of the joke, i hope Mortician gets a piece of the pie because they're honestly awesome.

Sorry for derailing this thread....

sorry - i keep editing this thing but i have to give it to Maggot Stomp for flourishing, especially at this time. They're doing it absolutely right.

Last edited by pooptastik; 09-11-2020 at 10:15 AM..
Old 09-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
alteredstate

I think there's a variety of reasons (most of which you guys mentioned) of why the Maggot Stomp brand of hardcore-infused OSDM is so in these days. One being that enough time has passed that it has retro appeal, which is why you see people dropping upwards of $200 on a Cause of Death tour shirt on vintage sites. It's also not a stretch for hardcore dudes to start playing Obituary-style songs in terms of technical ability.

Also, these bands tend to be very proactive about marketing themselves and having an aesthetic compared to most death metal bands, being very active on social media and going IN on their merch - something that I tend to see a lot more in the hardcore world than in metal. I do agree with what you guys said about everything being shrouded in a little bit of irony. The whole "lol caveman riffs!" thing reminds me of the late 2000s when the lines between deathcore/bdm were blurred and you would see scene kids wearing flat brim hats that say SLAM on them.

Going back to the whole point of aesthetics, there's a definite uniform in terms of rocking long sleeves and having your band pic in a graveyard with your hair covering your face. It's either that or going for the ironic dirtbag look like these dudes. In any case, it's hella embarrassing.
alteredstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #11
Moemers
Flower Travelin

I think some of the shit Dark Descent is putting out is cool and weird. Ataraxy, Ritual Necromancy, Krypts, Lantern, and I also really love Ensnared.

I also think some of the merch that is arguably being relentlessly released is a big part of some of the proliferation of certain bands and labels. It has a weird Supreme kinda feeling, with drop times and people selling out bootleg Morbid Angel shirts in no time.

Some of the shit coming out is cool though, so you gotta give it to em, especially labels like NWN who just seem to be absolutely thriving through this.
Moemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
pooptastik
son of cosmos

AI-Generated Encenathrakh.

Sounds better than the original.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #13
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

Can this become a Best of 2020 thread [no OSDM allowed]?
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
Skeetsystem
HOES ONCE LOYAL

holy shit lmao, this place has such an addiction to false metal

you don't hear lithography album cover metal with a brass section in like 5 months and you all start an emergency cabinet meeting
Skeetsystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Dizzy Alpaca Party
My body is ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsystem View Post
holy shit lmao, this place has such an addiction to false metal

you don't hear lithography album cover metal with a brass section in like 5 months and you all start an emergency cabinet meeting
dude, nobody fucking asked you, this was obviously a thread tailored to something you know you don't like, and you felt the need to be a cunt anyway? Feel free to jump off a bridge at your convenience.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #16
Skeetsystem
HOES ONCE LOYAL

You are trying to manufacture dissent at the Old School movement because this place is a front for the Mossad. Nobody listens to this fruity fucking forum music, nobody is talking about or has heard these semen forum darlings. Old School is popular because that's actually what people are listening to, this blackened mighty mighty bosstones shit has no clout in the real world for a reason. We know who the jews are in this forum and is it any coincidence that they are in the forum's inner circle? This place is a Psy-Op from the Mossad to destabilize the underground metal populus because underground metal inherently doesn't align with JUDEO christian values.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:52 AM   #17
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetsystem View Post
this blackened mighty mighty bosstones shit has no clout in the real world for a reason.
Quote of the week.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #18
Oleg
mayhemafterdeath

nah, not really. pretty sad that 10 years down the line, a playground-dwelling adult is still hitting send on quips directed towards an entirely defunct message board, as though it means anything. Skeet, you've managed to gargle the balls of Macho-Man-wannabe metal, perpetuate your same tired-ass schtick, and promote anti-semitism all in one post. what an absolute fucking loser.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:57 PM   #19
Skeetsystem
HOES ONCE LOYAL

jesus that was like 10% serious lmao

honestly though once upon a time probably like 10 years ago I tried to ask somebody about oragami penissu or whatever the fuck that band was and the whole room was like "?????" and that's when I learned yall hype shit that nobody actually fuck with
Old 10-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #20
Skeetsystem
HOES ONCE LOYAL

and sorry that so many years laters my bars be raw AF, go find a socially distanced support group or some soft bushwick shit like that my guy
Old 10-06-2020, 03:27 AM   #21
Lichtbringer
Kellerstahl

Rep Power: 27 Lichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewskiLichtbringer beat up jewski

Oh, so your friends didn’t know about Oranssi, a band that’s hardly obscure and also was never really hyped here, maybe talked about on occasion. Cool story.
It’s not that your “bars be raw AF”, your posts just still read like those of some tryhard edgelord.
Lichtbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #22
Skeetsystem
HOES ONCE LOYAL

guy this is a early 2000s format message board

are you looking for a ted talk or is this another aloof german thing you're doing
Old 10-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #23
Moemers
Flower Travelin

are germans aloof
Old 10-08-2020, 05:41 AM   #24
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

I wasn't expecting so many peeps to get so aggrieved?
Old 10-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #25
LucienLaTulipe

^ This.
LucienLaTulipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #26
Monsieur Lebeauxxx
THRILLHO

i was just hoping to find a suitable replacement for virus but i guess i'll just leave now
Monsieur Lebeauxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #27
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemers View Post
are germans aloof
Well, some of them look like a loaf
Old 10-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #28
Moemers
Flower Travelin

i dont have any experience with germans they seem very stern like an oak tree that doesnt wanna talk to you
Old 10-10-2020, 04:01 AM   #29
Spew
Big Baby Jesus

And the ones I've met tend to be super logical about shit.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:04 PM   #30
Popegina
Lactation Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Alpaca Party View Post
Seems like every promising newer band is re-hashing the early to mid 90's sound. Some of it is quite good, I liked the new Cryptic Shift and Ulthar releases, but nobody I've heard of recently is pushing boundaries in any respect. At least the first half of this decade had a new twist on the Gorguts/Deathspell sound.

Any of you other underground geeks hear of anybody recently doing weird shit? Doesn't have to be any particular style, just something new.
Check out the new Encenathrakh album