SMNnews Forums

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Death Metal Discussion

Death Metal Discussion churlish elitist commentary. our most popular forum yet. metal not necessarily discussed.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #61
Funeral Portrait

Re: Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

This is the first Corpse album I've purchased since Kill, and the first of theirs I've ever bought on vinyl. I wasn't even interested in it beyond mild curiosity during preorders, but my local shop thankfully got a killer variant in stock. Bought it the day it came out after streaming it front to back probably half a dozen times. Admittedly I'm a bit of a Rutan fanboy, but overall this album is just a fucking blast to listen to.
Funeral Portrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:33 PM   #62
Deathstalker

Re: Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

Deathstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #63
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

Talking Re: Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

https://urm.academy/urmpc317-erik-rutan/

Podcast with Erik Rutan. Excellent listen. Big fan of the guy and all that he?s accomplished. One of the best resumes in all of extreme metal
Flaccid Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #64
Flaccid Penguin
Form Voltron

Talking Re: Cannibal Corpse has the heaviest riffs of all Death Metal bands change my mind

This album is so much fun I have the riffs of each of these songs stuck in my head on a day to day basis. I wake up with these riffs in my head. They really have a knack for writing vocal hooks due to the emphasis on the music aligning with the syllables of the lyrics. I hated slowly sawn and Cerements of the flayed but now they are my two favorite cuts from the lp. I love how thrashy some of the cuts are; necrogenic, murderous, bound and burned, overtorture. Ritual annihilation is a HE song with CC vocals and drums and I don't mind that one bit.

Kill was one of the first dm albums I ever got around the 6th grade so this band has always been with me. Within the past year I've been getting into their entire catalogue from front to back because I really wanted to sink my teeth into a band that has a legacy and large oeuvre. I wanted to have something neutral but heavy in the back round perpetually while I worked from home. Basically dm brain candy. I started with Bloodbath and that was fun. Something that is not totally brainless but something I can get acquainted with without complete absolute concentration. I've fallen in love with CC as a result. I've had almost a year to completely digest and live with each album. I actually enjoy the homogeneity of their entire discography.

Distinguishing one lp to next was a task I found pretty rewarding. With the exception of "Slain", I enjoy every single track from Bloodthirst to Violence Unimagined. Evisceration Plague is my favorite album track for track for sentimental reasons. Skewered from Ear to Eye is awesome. The bridge section in "The discipline of Revenge" is fucking nuts. Hideous Ichor is a masterpiece. The truth is most extreme metal musicians can't hold a candle to the songwriting and musicianship of CC. They have a penchant for writing music thats intuitive and cohesive. People tend to sleep on Rob when he writes the catchiest songs on each LP from kill onward. Ice pick lobotomy, barbaric bludgeoning, code of the slashers, follow the blood etc. My favorite era is everything from Gore obsessed onward but Skeletal, RbB, and VU make for a satisfying trilogy.

Red before black is their absolute best imo. The guitar work on shedding my human skin is pretty awesome when you zoom in on the little details. That guitar tone is out of this world.
Flaccid Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #65
Phidion

Still listen to CC regularly. The new release is great imo.
The Wretched Spawn is their worst though?
Phidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:44 AM   #66
Spew
Dad.

^ No way, I wouldn't say it's their best but TWS is pretty underrated.
Spew is offline   Reply With Quote