SMNnews Forums  

Go Back   SMNnews Forums > General Forums > Musician Central

Musician Central music theory and gear discussion

Get Metallica T-Shirts & Merch from Rock.com

Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
SlipkyesBass
ChavezBass

Bass Pod XT

So im getting one of these things soon hopefully, I wanna know what you guys think about getting either the live (pedalboard) version or the Pro (rack) version? I could get a used Pro version for the price of a new Live version, but I couldn't afford one of those fancy footswitches for the pro, at least for some time. So my disadvantage would be the pro wouldn't let me switch patches in middle of a song because of the lack of pedals/footswitch, but given I'm a bassist it's not I Actually change effects that much. Currently in the live sets of my two bands I only switch effects once in a song, so I could probably live without that patch switch until I get a footswitch. But then i think I could get to use more effects in the future and would be stuck with the pro version.
but... the pro looks a lot cooler and has extra inputs and outputs (inputs my ass it looks cooler)

I want a POD mainly for live purposes btw, for studio obviuosly the rack version is much much better
SlipkyesBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Phoncible

Why spend extra $ on a unit that will do less of a job for you? (Yeah, you could get a used pro for the same price as new live. But then again, you could get a used live board even cheaper..)

I got the pro, and its cool as hell. Kickass in the studio. What are you going to use it with live? For putting in a rack w/poweramp its probably more practical than the live. So thats one plus for you. Even if you dont need it now, the extra i/o's will probably come in handy some day in the studio too. Also i bet you could find a cheap used floorboard when(if) you'll really need one. So thats a couple of pro's for the pro..
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
SlipkyesBass
ChavezBass

yeah totally makes sense what you say. Thing is that gear is far more expensive here making price differences bigger and "fairly affordable" gear into "expensive shit" over here. Right now in Mercadolibre (the biggest buy/sell site ebay style in Latinamerica) I can find one of the cheap floorboards for 900 Bsf (which in legal exchange rate is like 450Us $) and I couldn't afford that right now cause Im spending almost double than that on a used Peavey TKO for rehearsal purposes.

I would be using it live connecting it directly to PA with cab sim an all on, of course it would be ideal to have it with a power amp in a rig but I can't quite afford that right now (In rehearsals I would connect it on the return input of the effects loops of the peavey amp, to bypass the preamp section of the peavey, using just the power and cab of it). So since I'm not using it in a rig I guess it's not that big of a deal to buy the Live version. Besides I just yesterday found a decently priced new live on mercadolibre so I'll probably go for that one, since I can't seem to find a Pro version used or new anywhere in the country. And buying from internet sites is really complicated here, even if it turns out a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the input btw, I was afraid this thread would die without one single response. I'm making a thread for the bassists social group, since in the group section it dies pretty quickly, so we could chat about anything bass related there
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
SlipkyesBass
ChavezBass

btw phoncible, care to give some insight on how and what about the pod do use in studio? you use the cab sim? or turn it off and use separate impulses? you just use the effects and plug it through an amp and mic it? you record directly with the processed sound or record DI and later re-work (re-amp) it?

ever used it live?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Phoncible

depends. been using it in all mentioned situations really, hehe. Most happy when recorded with dist.unit before and cab impulse, mixed with clean of ampeg svx. which i actually have been using more at home recently, just because its easier when i'm in front of the computer. Only used it live a couple of times, but definetly the best most comfortable sound for that band ever.
Phoncible is offline   Reply With Quote